Sign in to follow this  
Anthony

Kyle Orton to start in Denver

QB Kyle Orton will start for the Denver Broncos according to ESPN's Adam Schefter, interviewed on SportsCenter Wednesday. Much of the offseason rumblings in Denver revolved around Orton departing the Mile High City so the Broncos can officially begin the Tim Tebow era. Reports connected Orton to the Dolphins, supplanting Chad Henne under center. But those talks are now dead, says NBC Miami's David Hill.

Source: USA Today

I just hope Denver doesn't completely ignore Tebow if they ultimately are already decided on Orton. Tebow can be a very effective runner, and hopefully they give him some packages like McDaniels did.

• Upvote 1

I think Denver has every intention of trading Orton. They'll let him tear it up a bit in pre-season and some QB needy team will bite. I have no idea why Miami backed off in their talks. I mean, seriously, Matt Moore and Chad Henne? Moore has a ton of upside and I think he'll take the starting spot from Henne with relative ease, but come on? You can't just have those two and be like, "Oh yeah, we're no longer interested. Orton doesn't make us a better team anymore, now that we got these two."

Just to add, according to the guys on NFLradio there has been some talk that Orton isn't doing very well in training camp. I wouldn't be surprised if they put in Tebow a lot during the pre-season to see how he's improved as a possible starter for week 1.

As a Chargers fan, I was hoping Tebow would start :(

Miami backed off their talked because they weren't willing to offer Orton a long term contract. He's getting paid more to stay here, and because he does well in training camp he's the likely starter. I imagine we'll hold onto him for another year, but we'll continue to field offers till the trade deadline.

It's evident that Orton is around until Tebow is ready to take on the position long-term. Tebow is still young and continuing to learn and they'll likely keep having Orton as a starter until they feel confident that Tebow is ready. When Tebow is ready, I have no doubt in my mind that they'll trade Orton.

Tebow sad.

Tim Tebow expressed some frustration Thursday regarding his current backup role.

Tebow clearly thought the Kyle Orton trade was going down, just like everyone else. "My dream, since I was a young boy, of being a starting quarterback in the NFL seemed to be coming true," Tebow said. "Then, I felt like it was grabbed back away." Tebow admitted that the rapid change in plans may have affected him on the practice field. Now he's miles behind Orton, the clear starter.

Source: Denver Post

I think the best way for Tim Tebow to start is for him to realize that he is a man, grow some fuckin balls, work really hard and perfect the offense and learn how to describe in detail every play based on memeory, and correct any flaws in his throwing delivery. Stop bitching like a little girl that the starting position was "grabbed away from me", and start to improve and learn from other starting quarterbacks in the NFL "why they are good enough to start". Less off the field things (book deal, commercials, etc) and more football, Tim!!!

Hearing the argument that he should be a starter because of his intensity, work ethic and faith hits a nerve with me. Tim, and all his supporters are arrogant and mistaken if they think he's the hardest working player to ever be drafted.

Spread/option quarterbacks rarely succeed in the NFL at the QB position. Vince Young could be used an example, I suppose. But he fixed his throwing motion before leaving college, and is faster than Tebow. VY also wasn't coached by a spread option genius.

Reports are saying that Tebow has regressed a lot, so it's pretty much an impossibility that he's gonna start, or even be on the roster by next year.

Reports are saying that Tebow has regressed a lot, so it's pretty much an impossibility that he's gonna start, or even be on the roster by next year.

Well that ain't going to happen. They're still going to trade Orton and start Tebow. He's just being honest. He'll rebound. He always does.

All of this attention on Tebow is kind of sad, because people blame him for it, even though the media will report anything with the word "Tebow" in it.

I mean, hell, they see something that says T-Bone Steak and they get excited. Then they read it a second time.

All of this attention on Tebow is kind of sad, because people blame him for it, even though the media will report anything with the word "Tebow" in it.

I mean, hell, they see something that says T-Bone Steak and they get excited. Then they read it a second time.

This is true, and I just had this debate with someone on twitter yesterday. To this point, Tim Tebow has done everything Matt Leinart did. And focusing only on the NFL, that means he's done absolutely nothing. But Tebow has received 100x more hype than Leinart.

It's one thing to be stuck behind Kurt Warner. It's another to sit behind Kyle Orton. Not that Orton is a bad QB, but he certainly isn't a future hall of famer.

IMO, Orton is very underrated. Kind of a no brainer to start him over Tebow.

Orton is pretty overrated if anything. Puts up most of his stats in garbage time. Hasn't been too effective when the game is close. Sanjay can affirm. :yep:

• Upvote 1

This is only a story because it involves Tim Tebow, no one would give a fuck otherwise.

• Upvote 1

This is only a story because it involves Tim Tebow, no one would give a fuck otherwise.

Well, that and the fact he was selected in the first-round. Saw some of the same with Brady Quinn in Cleveland too.

I don't understand everyone wanting Tim Tebow... He just isn't ready to lead an NFL team yet. The fans in Denver are crazy if they think Tebow is going to be better than Orton this year. Check back in 2-3 years.

Again Orton looked like a scrub in the red zone. The fans would rather bank on Tebow's potential and ability to get into the redzone, than Orton's between the 20's skill.