Sign in to follow this  
SteVo

Police bust teen days before planned bomb attack on school

Teen accused of school bomb threat at Freedom High School in Tampa

TAMPA — They found ingredients to build pipe bombs. They found schematics for Freedom High School. They found a manifesto, a plot to kill even more people than the 13 massacred in 1999 at Columbine High.

Police this week thwarted a "catastrophic event the likes of which Tampa has not seen," Chief Jane Castor said at a news conference midday Wednesday.

An hour earlier, skinny, shaggy-haired Jared Cano had appeared in juvenile court, accused of it all.

The 17-year old, who was expelled last year from Freedom, buried his face in his lap until he was called before t

he judge. He had been arrested Tuesday in front of his mother and had spent the night in juvenile detention. The state had not yet decided whether to prosecute him as an adult. He hung his head as a prosecutor listed what police found in his room.

He stood alone.

Circuit Judge Tracy Sheehan asked where his parents were.

His mouth quivered. He said he didn't know.

• • •

Police got the anonymous tip at 11:50 a.m. Tuesday: An expelled Freedom student was planning to discharge explosives at the school in Tampa Palms. They said he had specific plans for violence next Tuesday, the first day of school, targeting two faculty members and any nearby students.

At 6:30 p.m., the suspect's mother consented to a search of their Cypress Run at Tampa Palms apartment, where officers found materials to construct pipe bombs: a fuel source, shrapnel, plastic tubing and timing and fusing devices. They also found a journal with a minute-by-minute plan and "disturbing statements" about his intent to kill.

Continue reading: http://www.tampabay.com/news/courts/criminal/teen-accused-of-school-bomb-threat-at-tampas-freedom-high/1186427

Click on the above link for all the case information, a picture of the kid in question, and a video of the Tampa P.D. explaining the situation.

This is some crazy stuff. Freedom isn't too far from my place, and the area where the kid lived, Cypress Run? Five minutes down the road from me.

I don't know who the anonymous tipper was, but he/she saved quite a few lives...the police readily admit the kid had enough explosives to out-do Columbine, which resulted in 13 deaths, in case you don't know (not counting the two shooters who killed themselves).

Edited by SteVo

Kids just can't stomach a simple ass whipping nowadays...so pumped up full of illegitimate pride...

Glad someone stepped up and notified police. I'm glad police stepped up and followed an anonymous tip to completion. If people knew how iffy anonymous tips normally are, if they had important info they would not call anonymously. They would march themselves down to a PD/SO and ask to speak to a detective in person.

Glad someone stepped up and notified police. I'm glad police stepped up and followed an anonymous tip to completion. If people knew how iffy anonymous tips normally are, if they had important info they would not call anonymously. They would march themselves down to a PD/SO and ask to speak to a detective in person.

Judging by everything I've heard from people who know the kid, I'm willing to bet that the anonymous tipper was a friend of his who didn't want anyone to know he ratted him out.

Shitty parent is shitty. This is what happens when you don't try to make yourself a part of your kids lives. You end up with bad human beings and don't even realize what they're doing in their spare time. "Hey son, why all that metal?" "Hey son, what's up with those flammable liquids?" "Hey son, why so much plastic tubing and fuses?"

The kid has a lot more issues than ADD thats for damm sure. Like Stevie said it was probably a friend of his who notified the police.

What the hell is going on with this world? People are so fucking messed up. Thank God this kid was caught. Can't believe it was so close to you, Stevo. It's made the national news big time. Two kids discharged homemade explosives in the bathroom of a school nearby me a few years ago. I don't believe anyone was hurt, but three bomb threats occurred afterward at my local high school and one at the middle school.

My God, can't some people handle anything? Dur-dur some teacher gave me a bad grade. I better kill him/her. Some student made fun of me. I better kill them, too.

Throw a punch. Don't make bombs.

You know, if schools weren't so harsh on fighting, maybe more kids would be able to get their angst out before the "let's kill everybody" thoughts started to happen.

• Upvote 1

If schools weren't so harsh on everything it might be better. Zero Tolerance on drugs, terrible idea, zero tolerance on fighting, terrible idea. In fact zero tolerance anything is pretty retarded. Kids need to be fucking stupid so they will learn how to act like proper human beings in the future. You only learn from your mistakes and whatnot. Things need to be judged on a case by case basis, and actually requires some fucking work from the discipline department. But no one wants to do work in the education department... (This is a sweeping generalization you stupid fucks, you can find quite a few exceptions I'm sure. My mother used to work for the school board... used to.) You let these kids get into the fights when they're young, and you know that they can get the help they need if they continue to get into bad situations.

• Upvote 1

Kids have such fragile egos, because they haven't accomplished jack shit to back it up.

Add to the fact that less and less parents even spank their kids growing up, just adds to the overinflated sense of pride they have.

Kids don't fight anymore, don't even know what it feels like to get spanked, and play games that shoot and blow people up...so that's what they relate to.

They think they're untouchable, and if someone hurts their bitch-assed feelings, they have to kill them, because that's what they'd do in Call of Duty when someone pisses them off.

I've got no beef with the games, I play/have played the games, but I grew up in a time, when you run your mouth, you better be ready to throw blows...sometimes even becoming friends afterwards. I remember the worst you had to worry about is if they had a roll of pennies, or some batteries...

Kids need to learn real world consequences, so they can keep in touch with reality.

• Upvote 1

Add to the fact that less and less parents even spank their kids growing up, just adds to the overinflated sense of pride they have.

Kids don't fight anymore, don't even know what it feels like to get spanked, and play games that shoot and blow people up...so that's what they relate to.

They think they're untouchable, and if someone hurts their bitch-assed feelings, they have to kill them, because that's what they'd do in Call of Duty when someone pisses them off.

I've got no beef with the games, I play/have played the games, but I grew up in a time, when you run your mouth, you better be ready to throw blows...sometimes even becoming friends afterwards. I remember the worst you had to worry about is if they had a roll of pennies, or some batteries...

Kids need to learn real world consequences, so they can keep in touch with reality.

Spanking is archaic and does jack shit. Ask any child psychologist/social worker out there. Kids end up being better people when their parents actually talk to them about things. Talk, not yell. The problem is parents are way too fucking lazy and stupid to do that so they'd rather scream or hit their kids to get their point across. Kids do bad things because there's something wrong with their situation. It's usually because their parents don't give them the attention or affection a child needs so they end up acting out. Exactly how is a smack on the ass supposed to fix that? It's also a big reason as to why kids fight others and I know that by personal experiences. It's all misplaced frustration. I used to fight people for absolutely stupid shit all the time.

Spanking is archaic and does jack shit. Ask any child psychologist/social worker out there. Kids end up being better people when their parents actually talk to them about things. Talk, not yell. The problem is parents are way too fucking lazy and stupid to do that so they'd rather scream or hit their kids to get their point across. Kids do bad things because there's something wrong with their situation. It's usually because their parents don't give them the attention or affection a child needs so they end up acting out. Exactly how is a smack on the ass supposed to fix that? It's also a big reason as to why kids fight others and I know that by personal experiences. It's all misplaced frustration. I used to fight people for absolutely stupid shit all the time.

You have a kid, I take it?

Exactly how is a smack on the ass supposed to fix that? It's also a big reason as to why kids fight others and I know that by personal experiences. It's all misplaced frustration. I used to fight people for absolutely stupid shit all the time.

That may be why I was an aggressive person up and through my 20's....but gettin my ass spanked, kept me in line, I'm not a unibomber, mass murderer, or a serial killer...I got into some trouble as a teen, but nothing that ruined my life.

Talking and explaining work great, for those kids that actually want to listen. We've got a 15 year old that just hit the stage in life, where he thinks he knows better than we do...and an impressionable 9 year old that is quickly following suit.

They get plenty of attention and affection, and no, you don't want to spank your kids for piddly shit. But there comes a point in time where talking and explaining fall on deaf ears.

Our society as a whole has made it quite far with archaic forms of discipline, we grew up with it, as did our parents, our parents parents, etc...once those have been deemed "ineffective" is when kids went from afterschool brawls, to shooting up and bombing schools..is that just a coincidence?

• Upvote 1

You have a kid, I take it?

2 step kids.

That may be why I was an aggressive person up and through my 20's....but gettin my ass spanked, kept me in line, I'm not a unibomber, mass murderer, or a serial killer...I got into some trouble as a teen, but nothing that ruined my life.

Talking and explaining work great, for those kids that actually want to listen. We've got a 15 year old that just hit the stage in life, where he thinks he knows better than we do...and an impressionable 9 year old that is quickly following suit.

They get plenty of attention and affection, and no, you don't want to spank your kids for piddly shit. But there comes a point in time where talking and explaining fall on deaf ears.

Our society as a whole has made it quite far with archaic forms of discipline, we grew up with it, as did our parents, our parents parents, etc...once those have been deemed "ineffective" is when kids went from after school brawls, to shooting up and bombing schools..is that just a coincidence?

Being disobedient is a part of life as kids grow up, they're learning to become independent. Spanking may help some in an immediate since and no most kids with relatively stable homes aren't exactly going to be scarred by it but there are way more affective ways to punish. I don't personally feel spanking is the best way to do things but most of the anti-spanking, bad parenting rant was more so for people who would shoot up or bomb schools. They get to that point because they have shitty parents that have made things worse and no amount of spanking is going to fix that.

Things going from "afterschool brawls, to shooting up and bombing schools" has nothing to do with the type of punishment changing. Society has changed as a whole. Everything is done differently and people are exposed to things differently at younger ages these days. Not to mention people just aren't nearly as friendly these days. Populations are rising and communities are going from family communities to people not even knowing who their neighbors are. Anxiety and depression is about as contagious as the common cold and mental disorders are becoming more and more prevalent in kids as a result. It's also vastly more easier to get information and the ability to obtain weapons and parts to create bombs these days.

It's also vastly more easier to get information and the ability to obtain weapons and parts to create bombs these days.

I'll concede to that, to a degree...it was exponentially easier to get the ingredients for C-4 in my youth, but one of the underlying differences was we didn't have the technology to get the recipe.

My buds and I built bombs out of pvc pipe and buckets of firecrackers, we'd spend alot of time taking the gunpowder of the firecrackers to fill the PVC pipe up....

But we used those to blow up ant piles, gopher holes, and park benches (at night when nobody was around)...

We knew about balloons drano and gasoline, but never built any of that stuff to hurt people...personally I never built it, because it sounded much more dangerous...

We had friends that had the "Anarchist Cookbook", but never used that stuff to harm another person...

We had bb guns and even .22 rifles, but never used them to shoot each other...maliciously (yeah we had bb gun wars..even with people cheating by pumping way more than once)

We knew if we fucked up bad enough we'd be "picking out a switch", we knew it hurt, but we knew we'd survive and a few days later it would have passed....hell half of the time we'd rather get a spanking than have to deal with the emotional torture of the "silent treatment"....and the anticipation of waiting for the punishment.

For the record, our kids are step kids to me, and I haven't had to lay hand on them, so the spanking based upon my personal experience (I've had far worse than spankings)...and when their mother had to bust out the belt on the rare occasion that they absolutely didn't want to listen to what she had to say. They had a general lack of respect for their mother, thanks to their father...

For me, I assert my authority by denying them the things that we provide, such as internet, cable, etc..great thing about technology today, I can control these things without actually having to be there...unlike my parents, where I was sneaking into their room and finding my BB gun in their closet while they were at work...I tell them, "you don't want to do what I say, I won't do what you ask"...they've gone from telling me to do things, to asking me, but it's been quite a road.

Yeah, I do the explaining thing, and it doesn't take long for me to realize they've stopped listening. I explained to the 9 year old not to stand on the back of the couch, he could fall and hurt himself, and eventually break the couch, because the back was not designed to hold that kind of weight.....

Later on (weeks or a month or two) we hear him crying in the living room...he fell off of the couch, and knocked the wind out of himself when he hit the arm....I told him "now do you understand why I told you not to stand on the couch?"

he says "you never said that!".....Not even a month later, I see him doing it again, I say "don't stand on the couch, did you forget what happened to you?" he proceeds to argue with me, I raise my voice a little (not a lot) "what did I say?" he immediately sits on the couch, and doesn't do it anymore (at least not in my presence).

Explaining works to a degree, but it also empowers them to argue with you over the logic, and theirs is always flawed, but they never see it that way...until it happens. Sometimes you have to assert yourself to get your point across...

Edit: I got off point in my ramblings....Kids today need to discover that there's much worse things in life, than a bruised ego...ass whippings aren't a death sentence, and your point can be well delivered by non-lethal means...

Edited by Krawnka

You know, I do think that parents skirt a lot of blame for their kids but at the same time, there are just some fucked up kids, who no amount of good parenting could help.

• Upvote 1

2 step kids.

I find what you are saying to be partly true, but I dunno if calling people stupid and lazy due to a different style of parenting is warranted. Stupid and lazy parents exist of course, but you have to also remember that there are different parenting styles out there.. I also challenge you to use reason with a 2 year old, and have a conversation with them about why they did what they did. I'm not sure there is a magic right answer about what works as a parent, and each child is an individual test case.

Edited by GA_Eagle
  • Upvote 1

You know, I do think that parents skirt a lot of blame for their kids but at the same time, there are just some fucked up kids, who no amount of good parenting could help.

Agreed. Parents obviously play a huge role in their children's lives, but they can only do so much. At a certain point, a human being is going to be who they want to be and do what they want to do. And unfortunately, that principle sometimes leads us into situations such as this one.

I can't honestly believe that. It's not normal what so ever for a person to plot to kill others like this. At some point in these kids life whether they were a baby, a toddler, or a growing kid, someone fucked up. It doesn't mean the parents actually did something but they certainly missed something. It could be something like a kid having a chemical imbalance and the parents being more concerned with the fact that they have to deal with the kid more so than trying to figure out whats really going on. Does that make them a bad person? No, but it certainly makes them an uneducated parent.

I find what you are saying to be partly true, but I dunno if calling people stupid and lazy due to a different style of parenting is warranted. Stupid and lazy parents exist of course, but you have to also remember that there are different parenting styles out there.. I also challenge you to use reason with a 2 year old, and have a conversation with them about why they did what they did. I'm not sure there is a magic right answer about what works as a parent, and each child is an individual test case.

It's not all about reasoning with someone. I never said you have to try and reason with kids all the time, especially if it's near impossible. I'm not against punishing a kid whats so ever, but I personally believe there are much more affective ways to get your point across to a kid than hitting them. I'm also not saying that all people who spank are stupid and lazy. My mom was a great parent and I sure enough got my butt whooped a few times. Some parents use it waaaay too much though. It's like their main source of punishment, yelling and spanking, none of which are actually necessary in raising a good kid. I had a few friends and some cousins with parents just like that and everyone of them has either been in trouble with the law repeatedly, have severe depression issues (suicidal), or have done something to screw up their lives. I have no doubt in my mind if they actually had parents that stopped to listen to them or tried to find out WHY they act out, things would be different. There is always a reason why kids do what they do.

Just to clarify, I am in no way saying that any kid that acts out at anytime has poor parents or anything. All kids do it and they do it about all kinds of stuff. Most things are minor, it's just when it becomes something constant and they seriously act out that things become an issue, and a lot of parents just don' t know how to deal with it.

A child being disobedient is not learning to become independent. It's some snot-nosed little shit being disrespectful. Spank your damn kids. It does a whole lot when they learn to fear it. If a kid fears a spank from their dad or an open-hand slap to the face from their mother, they'll behave.

Oh, I do believe in face-slapping, too. Not just spanking. My mother is a wonderful woman, and I deserved to get slapped every time I was. Your kid does too.

It's not child abuse. It's discipline, and it works.

Edited by BwareDWare94

In regards to several posts about strict enforcement of the rules, I see where you're coming from. At my high school, last year's senior class countlessly had drinking parties busted. Every time I knew someone who was at one of these parties, they would talk about how hard the school was coming down on them. It made them want to cause more trouble, especially when the school resorted to ridiculous consequences (which happened a couple of times).

As far as spanking goes, I honestly don't think either way has a big affect. Kids are going to get in trouble (or not get in trouble) regardless of what their consequences were at a young age. I was spanked when I was very little (not that much, but some) and I honestly don't think I would have gotten in more trouble today if I hadn't been spanked.

A child being disobedient is not learning to become independent. It's some snot-nosed little shit being disrespectful. Spank your damn kids. It does a whole lot when they learn to fear it. If a kid fears a spank from their dad or an open-hand slap to the face from their mother, they'll behave.

Oh, I do believe in face-slapping, too. Not just spanking. My mother is a wonderful woman, and I deserved to get slapped every time I was. Your kid does too.

It's not child abuse. It's discipline, and it works.

It depends on exactly how disobedient someone is being. It's perfectly normal in many cases and a smack isn't going to fix that. It's 100% natural for a kid to be at least a little disobedient when they're getting into their teens. No amount of good parenting will prevent that.

If the disobedients is really bad however, I'd put money on the parents screwing something up earlier in the kids life. I'm not going to sit here and tell people how to raise kids though, that's not my business. I'm just saying what I know, and that is if parenting is done correctly spanking/smacking isn't needed and it most often doesn't honestly do jack shit but cause the kid to be afraid of the parent (if used too much), which in no way is a good thing.

Edited by Shotgun

It depends on exactly how disobedient someone is being. It's perfectly normal in many cases and a smack isn't going to fix that. It's 100% natural for a kid to be at least a little disobedient when they're getting into their teens. No amount of good parenting will prevent that.

If the disobedients is really bad however, I'd put money on the parents screwing something up earlier in the kids life. I'm not going to sit here and tell people how to raise kids though, that's not my business. I'm just saying what I know, and that is if parenting is done correctly spanking/smacking isn't needed and it most often doesn't honestly do jack shit but cause the kid to be afraid of the parent (if used too much), which in no way is a good thing.

Why is it always the parents' fault though? I know plenty of fucked up kids with wonderful parents.

Why is it always the parents' fault though? I know plenty of fucked up kids with wonderful parents.

Maybe they are too wonderful? Can't say no, give the kids whatever they want, etc etc.

The biggest thing in parenting, IMO... Is leading by example.