Favre4Ever

Todd Haley Pissed That Harbaugh and Ravens Run Up Score

Todd Haley or John Harbaugh: Who is Right?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Does Todd Haley Have a Point?

• Yes, why are the Ravens running up the score?
    • Not Really, I understand what he is saying, but the Ravens did nothing wrong.
    • No, John Harbaugh is absolutely correct.

After John Harbaugh called a timeout with 5 seconds left,the Ravens scored another touchdown to beat the Chiefs 34-13.

Walking off the field, Haley angrily scolded Harbaugh for his perceived bush league move. Harbaugh said to him “those guys are trying to make my team and the game is 60 minutes long.” Harbs then waved his hand at him like “whatever” (WNST).

Though Harbaugh began his press conference by apologizing to Haley and the Chiefs, it really wasn’t necessary. I had heard from the Fox announcers that the Chiefs were treating last week’s game against the Bucs like a practice. Here’s hoping the last drive helped give these Ravens jobs on the practice squad or somewhere else when the eventual cuts arrive.

Haley famously pointed his finger at Josh McDaniels last season, upset that McDaniels kept scoring while ahead. Haley, to his credit, had his young team playing hard last year and will earn major equity if the offense survives the turmoil of the Baldwin injury and loss of Charlie Weis.

http://www.nflgridirongab.com/2011/08/19/todd-haley-berates-john-harbaugh/

The Ravens' 31-13 preseason win over the Kansas City Chiefs ended with some drama when the Ravens chose to throw deep against the Chiefs and then elected to use two timeouts in the final 34 seconds despite leading by 11 points.

The Ravens’ final touchdown came with five seconds.

After the game, Ravens coach John Harbaugh shook hands with Kansas City coach Todd Haley and explained his reasoning behind the final touchdown. According to Harbaugh, Haley said, “I don’t know about that.” Harbaugh then reiterated his decision to get his young players as much work in the preseason as possible.

Harbaugh began his post-game news conference by apologizing to the Chiefs and saying the Ravens would have taken a knee in a regular-season game.

"I want to apologize to the Chiefs if they feel like we were not doing the right thing at the end of the game," Harbaugh said. "The mindset was this is preseason. If this had been regular season, we would have been on a knee. The idea in that situation is to give these young guys who work hard and who are trying to make a football team to play the whole 60 minutes and give them a chance to show what they could do."

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/blog/2011/08/harbaugh_explains_decision_in_running_up_the_score.html

Lord... Todd Haley is such a moron. Can't wait until he's fired. Completely agree with Harbaugh here.

Edited by Favre4Ever
  • Upvote 1

How do you evaluate second and third team guys that are taking a knee or running simple hand offs up the middle to burn clock? It's preseason. The scoreboard means nothing. You evaluate the players as if the score is tied or your team is behind, regardless of what the board actually says.

Haley needs to trade those coaching panties for a pair of boxers.

Edited by Anthony
  • Upvote 2

Haley is still butthurt they got dat ass spanked in the playoffs.

• Upvote 1

Wow, is this story ever inaccurate. Haley didn't do anything to Harbaugh. It was Harbaugh who went up to Haley trying to explain himself, because with barely a minute left in the game and his team already up by two scores, Harbaugh sent his offense onto the field to run a play action fake and throw a deep TD pass. And when the receiver came up short of the endzone, Harbaugh used his timeouts so they could punch it in.

It was bush league and accomplished nothing, except putting guys at unneeded risk for injury. The QB who threw the pass had just come into the game for that series, so the idea that Harbaugh needed to evaluate him is laughable. If that was true, he would have been in the game a little sooner than the 59th minute. And the defense was expecting a kneel-down, so nothing was served from the "evaulation" anyway, unless Harbaugh was wondering if a QB on his roster was capable of completing a pass.

Harbaugh knew it was a questionable move because, as the Baltimore Sun's report explains, he immediately tried to explain it. Haley responded "I don't know about that". They continued talking and it appeared fine.

Haley didn't appear "pissed" and he certainly didn't "angrily scold" Harbaugh as the first fictitious report claims.

if Todd Haley don't want his third stringers getting their asses whooped then stop the Ravens next time.

The Ravens have more depth and it showed.

Haley needs to grow a pair, He's the Drama Queen of the NFL.

Edited by BoneKrusher
  • Upvote 2

It's probably not as dramatic as the media is making it out to be but I'm sure Haley still whined about it. I agree with Harbaugh, the players deserve to play the full 60 minutes and it's probable he didn't consider that the Chiefs would expect a kneel after he called the play. But on the other side I can also see why Haley would think they are running up the score. He should probably take a breather though, it's the preseason, the game didn't matter, and the stats or scores don't really matter so why get upset about it?

It was bush league????? LMFAO!

Nooooo....it's called football. Situational, preseason, evaluating your players football!

Cry me a river.

It was bush league and accomplished nothing, except putting guys at unneeded risk for injury. The QB who threw the pass had just come into the game for that series, so the idea that Harbaugh needed to evaluate him is laughable. If that was true, he would have been in the game a little sooner than the 59th minute. And the defense was expecting a kneel-down, so nothing was served from the "evaulation" anyway, unless Harbaugh was wondering if a QB on his roster was capable of completing a pass.

So I guess the NFL needs a preseason mercy rule, so players unlikely to make the roster won't be at risk of injury. When a team is down by so many points, and there's little time left, they shouldn't take any more snaps. Everyone should just go home. The potential loss of some guy that will be selling used cars in December would be crippling to a team's playoff hopes.

If the QB that entered the game was named Joe Flacco, I would see your point, but it wasn't.

This is why John Harbaugh will be coaching the Ravens in 5 years and Todd Haley will be nowhere near Kansas City in 5 years.

• Upvote 1

if Todd Haley don't want his third stringers getting their asses whooped then stop the Ravens next time.

The Ravens have more depth and it showed.

Haley needs to grow a pair, He's the Drama Queen of the NFL.

Directly from the dedicated KC fan. Pretty much says it all.

if Todd Haley don't want his third stringers getting their asses whooped then stop the Ravens next time.The Ravens have more depth and it showed. Haley needs to grow a pair, He's the Drama Queen of the NFL.

Fuckin' a right.

Funny he was whining about running up the score in preseason yet he is out there playing starters in the fourth quarter of the final preseason game.

• Upvote 2