Patriots2994

Most Overrated & Underrated in the NFL

I've seen plenty of topics on the most overrated/underrated on specific teams, but I'm curious who people find to be the most overrated player in the entire NFL, as well as the most underrated. There'll be a wide variety of responses, so shoot!

Could you give reasons why you picked those two? I'm curious. (Sanchez would be up there in my top overrated players..Fletcher is on the list for underrated but I'm not sure how high up I'd put him).

Overrated - Matt Cassel

Underrated - Bernard Pollard

Overrated - Tony Romo

Underrated - Cliff Avril

Overrated: Miles Austin

Underrated: Charles Tillman

Overrated - Tony Romo

Overrated: Miles Austin

I hate to be that guy that questions everyone's answers, but I'm curious as to why you guys chose Romo and Austin.

Most people rate them as being borderline top 10 players at their positions which is where they should be IMO.

Overrated: Mike Vick.. ^what Sarge said

Underrated: Josh Freeman is a great young quarterback for the Bucs. He might not have great skill players around him, but he is the one that makes the plays for the Bucs offense.

Overrated: Mark Sanchez

Tony Romo is a close second, but he has actually shown he can do SOMETHING in the past.

Underrated: Josh Freeman

To name some that haven't been mentioned...

Overrated: Clay Matthews - He's a great player, but even JD will tell you that he needs to improve against the run and there is FAR too much hype surrounding him.

Underrated: Osi Umenyiora - Everyone loved this guy when he sacked the shit out of McNabb, but after his injury nobody has talked about him. He dominated last year and some people seem to think he's a bench player.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

For the uptrillionth time... Josh Freeman at this point can NOT be overrated...

Nearly everyone is starting to have him in their top 10 lists of QBs after he's had one good season. And even if they aren't they still acknowledge him for the player and leader he is and becoming.

Underrated players are players who deserve much more respect then given... How much more respect can you give a player who's had one good season then the amount of respect he is being given right now?

• Upvote 2

To name some that haven't been mentioned...

Overrated: Clay Matthews - He's a great player, but even JD will tell you that he needs to improve against the run and there is FAR too much hype surrounding him.

Underrated: Osi Umenyiora - Everyone loved this guy when he sacked the shit out of McNabb, but after his injury nobody has talked about him. He dominated last year and some people seem to think he's a bench player.

:yeahthat:

As for Romo I think he is overrated by most Cowboy fans and underrated by most other teams fans.

If that makes any sense. He is a good QB and I would take him before alot of other QB's in the league.

Excellent choice. I don't know why people insist that he's "fallen off," he's been killing it on the field but most fans seem to shit on him rather than even acknowledge anything he does.

and sorry I neged you by mistake. :shrug:

For the uptrillionth time... Josh Freeman at this point can NOT be overrated...

Nearly everyone is starting to have him in their top 10 lists of QBs after he's had one good season. And even if they aren't they still acknowledge him for the player and leader he is and becoming.

Underrated players are players who deserve much more respect then given... How much more respect can you give a player who's had one good season then the amount of respect he is being given right now?

As a Bucs fan I agree. Hes on everyone's radar and is expected to do big things this year.

Clay is definitely overrated. He gets to the QB, and that's why he gets all the attention, but he doesn't deserve it quite yet. He is pretty horrid against the run. Over pursues, and isn't even looking for the RB 98% of the time. When the ball is snapped he is hell bent on getting to the QB. That's it.

Teams are slowly realizing that he can't stop the run, so they are running inside on him. Going to be pretty effective this year against us, IMO.

He's still young though and is a playmaker. So I have faith that Dom Capers and the rest of the coaching staff will get him ready to defend the run at the VERY LEAST on a mediocre level.

There's a lot of underrated guys out there... Justin Smith (SF) may be #1 though.... Maybe Kyle Williams (BUF) a little bit too, although I have read quite a bit about him this off season. London Fletcher is underrated every year... Nobody ever talks about him or just how good he really is... Even at 36.

• Upvote 1

Everyone is always expecting London Fletcher to begin slowing down and show his age but every year he just keeps on going. Must have a hell of a off season regiment.

I'd also have to say Brandon Flowers as underrated, he's really a great young corner on a team with a decent defense. Like his skill set, and doesn't gamble on plays..he simply goes up for the ball at the highest point and takes it from receivers.