Sign in to follow this  
Anthony

Should food stamps be accepted at Taco Bell?

With government-issued food-stamp benefits more than doubling — to $64.7 billion — between 2005 and 2010, more and more businesses are trying to get in on the action. Outside of a few states, restaurants traditionally have been excluded. But now Yum! Brands, owner of Taco Bell, KFC, Long John Silver's, and Pizza Hut, is lobbying for permission to let people use food stamps at its fast-food outlets. While, anti-hunger advocates like the idea, anti-obesity activists deplore it. Should the 45 million Americans who receive food stamps be allowed to spend them on fast food?

Source: The Week

Source: The Week

Tough call. Freedom of choice says they should be able to. It's their life, their grave. On the other hand, food stamps are supposed to help transition people into better situations, not just perpetuate the current scenario...at least I assume that's what it's for. And enabling those people to spend them on junk food seems counterproductive. Not really sure where I stand on it, to be honest.

I vote no. Just like all unemployment benefits. And while we're at it, start drug testing for unemployment and food stamps.

• Upvote 2

Unemployment is directly based upon the tax dollars you personally contributed the prior year...for the next 6 months.

I've been on unemployment twice, it's not that hard to find a job in 6 months, as I typically spent the first 5.5 months living like I'd won the poor man's lotto...then spend the last couple of weeks to actually find a job.

Welfare/Food stamps come from a different bucket, your's and mine....If I'm personally supporting someone to help them get on their feet, I have a say in what they spend my money on...not spending money on shit that keeps them fat and lazy, not productive to them finding work, unless they get a job at Taco Bell.

I agree, people on Welfare, should not only be tested for drugs, but also have to take a birth control shot every time they pick up a check.

Edited by Krawnka
  • Upvote 1

I personally think that the idea behind welfare and food stamps is a good idea....which is that people having rough times in their home should have a hand up from society in general (which means the government, either state of federal).

But I also agree with a few posts on this thread that people on unemployment insurance, welfare, and food stamps should be tested for drugs ( of all kinds), and that they have to have a plan in place for themselves to get out of poverty/get a decent job. I know it's hard, and most of the people using these benefits are probably using them for the first time in their lives, but if they can't find a job (in particular now based on the jobs climate) then at least they have to show that they have been making a solid effort to try and find a job.

In terms of people have the choice whether to use their food stamps at fast food establishments (Taco Bell, McDonald's, Wendy's, etc) is really an individual choice. TBH, I don't understand the obsession that some politicians have with ADULT'S eating habits. It's not like the people they say there "trying to help" are going to their house and saying "why aren't you eating your carrots and peas, instead of that greasy burger". Like they should piss off and pass some measure that increases health care insurance or personal health care costs in some way that says to people "you have a choice between eating healthy or eating that shitty food that effects your health and you'll just have to pay a little more for your health care costs/insurance to cover it". That would send a better message and response then forcing people not to buy a particular food item.

Like they should piss off and pass some measure that increases health care insurance or personal health care costs in some way that says to people "you have a choice between eating healthy or eating that shitty food that effects your health and you'll just have to pay a little more for your health care costs/insurance to cover it". That would send a better message and response then forcing people not to buy a particular food item.

I understand the desire for welfare for people that fall upon hard times, especially in today's economy, but there are those (Octomom) that take advantage and exploit the system.

But when we're the ones paying for their poor choices while on welfare, we're also the ones paying for their health care.

Here's a shining example of what could be the end result...(bacon butties?)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/5004431/Family-who-are-too-fat-to-work-say-22000-worth-of-benefits-is-not-enough.html

• Upvote 1

I don't think they should use food stamps at fast food restaurants simply because they overcharge you for it since they prepare it for you and due to convenience. If you're using your food stamps on groceries, you're probably less likely to overeat and you're watching and paying more attention to how much your using and how far those stamps are going. I'm not sure why the anti-hunger advocates would support this since I would assume you would want someone to get a satisfying and nutritional meal to maintain their health and stability when they need the food stamps to survive. You want to give these individuals the best chance at having quality meals and fast food isn't very good for you if you're always choosing to go there.

• Upvote 2

I think it would be dumb and counterproductive for many of the reasons already said. Fast food is unhealthy, fat, and it makes people have less energy which causes them to be more lazy and unproductive in anything they do. Buying groceries is much cheaper in the long run and certainly healthier, unless of course they're the type that likes to fry everything or cook a ton with butter. Essentially, buying fast food will just perpetuate the lazy and waste money on garbage that no one should really be eating.

I'm with PiB. People should have the right to eat whatever they want if its their own money, but if taxpayers have to pay for it, they should spend it in a more efficient manner than fast food.

• Upvote 1

I'd rather they just investigated all 45 million food stamp receivers (relax. It's a joke) and determined if they actually needed them or not. Then give them specific choices that allow them to use their stamps in the manner that gives them quantity over quality.

I really wish we could destroy the loopholes in things like welfare, unemployment, disability, and food stamps.

For instance, if you're on unemployment, you should have to photocopy two applications per week and present them at the office when you pick up your check.

I understand the desire for welfare for people that fall upon hard times, especially in today's economy, but there are those (Octomom) that take advantage and exploit the system.

But when we're the ones paying for their poor choices while on welfare, we're also the ones paying for their health care.

Here's a shining example of what could be the end result...(bacon butties?)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/5004431/Family-who-are-too-fat-to-work-say-22000-worth-of-benefits-is-not-enough.html

You've got to be shitting me. They probably rack up a gigantic plumbing bill as well.

My answer is no, and here's my problem with it.

You have families that work their asses off to make ends meet that will think long and hard before they spend the little they have on fast food. Yet, if Taco Bell allows this, you have people spending that hard working and still broke taxpayer's money on an expensive meal without a second thought. And before anyone says Taco Bell is cheap, it isn't, when compared to how many tacos and burritos you can make on your own if you bought the tortillas and ground meat yourself. You pay for the quick service, as well as the meals at those fast food chains. Most of the items are inexpensive to make at home.

Food Stamps should serve a lesson in stretching the little you have, and not how to quickly squander money you didn't earn on things that are not necessities.

• Upvote 1

I'm going to go against most of the people here and say yes if it's ok with the companies. I am generally in favor of the government staying out of things unless they pose a threat to our safety, and that doesn't change on an issue like this. The food stamp program in general is abused and should be faded out.

Guest Phailadelphia

I'm going to go against most of the people here and say yes if it's ok with the companies. I am generally in favor of the government staying out of things unless they pose a threat to our safety, and that doesn't change on an issue like this. The food stamp program in general is abused and should be faded out.

Source?

Source?

just do a google search I'm sure you can find hundreds of articles supporting both sides.

As long as it is being used for food, I don't see why it is a big deal. I saw a Fudrucker's in Burbank, CA that accepted them.

Guest Phailadelphia

just do a google search I'm sure you can find hundreds of articles supporting both sides.

Not really. There's only ONE credible, legitimate source that should be used and it's from the Department of Labor stating it found only 1.9% of UI cases could be considered fraudulent or abusive. The myth of the "welfare queen" is just that - a myth.

Not really. There's only ONE credible, legitimate source that should be used and it's from the Department of Labor stating it found only 1.9% of UI cases could be considered fraudulent or abusive. The myth of the "welfare queen" is just that - a myth.

Funny that you bring up the overall issue of the welfare state. The whole system is abused. People have more children so they can receive more aid, and then use the aid for themselves and let their children go without basic needs. That is in addition to 1.9% of fraudulent participation.

Guest Phailadelphia

Funny that you bring up the overall issue of the welfare state. The whole system is abused. People have more children so they can receive more aid, and then use the aid for themselves and let their children go without basic needs. That is in addition to 1.9% of fraudulent participation.

Still waiting on a credible source to back your claims up.

The thing that I don't understand, and it's really not that hard to grasp, is why doesn't congress make the food stamps program more effcient by putting in some incentives to motivate people to lean themselves off of this program. And in terms of fraud, it is totally mindboggling why they still haven't fixed this problem in all federal and state programs. It's not like their so "busy" with other things to do then fix these simple issues and actually do some work worth at least some of their expensive salaries.

Sorry about the rant! :shrug:

I'm with WCS on this one. We really don't need the government to tell us even more shit we can or can't do, and this is a very minor thing. Let the states decide it if the people in that state decide its enough of an issue to do something about it, but we don't need the Federal government telling us that.