Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Browns fan kicked out of seat for standing too much

By Chris Chase

To stand or not to stand: that is the question: Whether 'tis nobler in the crowd to suffer the boredom and passivity of sitting down or to stand up against the wishes of outrageous management, and by opposing, get kicked out. To stand, to sit? No more.

With the help of noted Cleveland Browns fan Bill Shakespeare, we present the star-crossed tale of Rob Stipe, a Dawg Pound fan who dresses up for games in a wig, face paint and shoulder pads and was recently kicked out of his seat at Cleveland Browns Stadium for standing up too much during games.

Stipe, a ticket holder of 25 years, was told by security personnel to sit during the first quarter of Sunday's game when he was standing during a third down. Later in the game, he was standing again and was asked to leave his seat due to a new rule that immediately boots second-offenders.

Stipe insists his standing isn't excessive. Adam Wright of The Chronicle-Telegram explains:

According to Stipe, "excessive standing" has become a bit of a no-no at Cleveland Browns Stadium over the last few seasons. Last year, he was also scolded for the offense and three sheriff's deputies were sent to meet him outside the bathroom to tell him to use his seat more.

"We do not stand all the time," the 35-year-old explained, referring to the as many as 12 friends and family who share season tickets. "We stand on first down, we stand at the beginning of this game, we stand at kickoff. We stand. We are standers, but we're also courteous to other people. If somebody says, 'Hey man, will you sit down?' Sure, I will love to sit down for you. No problem."

A Browns official told the newspaper that the standing rule is enforced only if other fans complain and that security personnel aren't scanning the crowd for standers. Stipe, who said he always honors requests to sit, admitted later in the story that he'd prefer everyone to stand.

"I hate the people who sit down at a game," he said. "It's not that I try to stand and [expletive] everyone off. I want everyone to stand so that when we're on national TV we don't look like lumps on a log."

National TV? We're talking about the Browns here, right?

[Check live scoring and set your lineup with Yahoo! Sports' Fantasy Football app]

Look, I sympathize with Stipe. I much prefer standing to sitting while at games; it makes me feel like I'm into the game more. It also looks much better on television. But the decision to stand or sit is a collective one made by the crowd. If the people behind you aren't standing and aren't taking cues from you to stand, you're a jerk if you keep doing it. Stipe tells a sob story, but I'm guessing his one-sided account leaves out some key details about the extent of his standing, the annoyance of the crowd behind him or his reaction to security personnel. If his version is the complete truth, this is a preposterous miscarriage of ticket-holder justice. More likely than not, he wasn't booted for standing as much as he was for refusing to sit.

Source: Yahoo!

National TV? We're talking about the Browns here, right?

best part of that articlerofl.gif

seriously, tho, as the blogger says we're only getting one side of the story, the biggest discrepancy I see is that he claims he would sit if other fans asked him to, but the Browns' official said the rule was only enforced if fans complained, which means that either someone is lying or somebody behind him is a fucking pussy

There is nothing more annoying at a game than a guy who refuses to sit the fuck down or he is obnoxiously loud. I'm all for standing up with the crowd and yelling at the top of my longs on a third down while my teams on D. Or obviously when your QB throws up a long pass and you stand up and watch in amazement. Or a RB breaks a long run to the house. There are moments to stand up. It just becomes annoying when a douche is standing up through out the game and you can't see shit, which then causes you to have to stand up or ask the guy. It becomes worse when said douche is drunk.

I must say I like the policy the Browns have put in place. Lets the fans enjoy the game IMO.

I don't think Browns security have ever witnessed a fan standing up and cheering for the Browns before. Must've freaked them out.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Are you guys serious with this shit? Ever go to a college game and NOT stand, why is this any different? Fucking rules and PC bullshit all over the place these days.

If you're attending an NFL game in specific areas of the stadium, your ass better be up cheering for your team. This isnt a place to sit down and chill with your family (Go to the family section for that), this is the Dawg Pound. This isnt an isolated experience either. Many fans have been removed from the stadium for standing up and getting into the game because they were standing in front of Johnny Onmycellalot Executive and he cant be bothered with some dude that's getting hammered watching his team.

If you want to sit down and enjoy the game...stay at home. Otherwise: stand up, get a little crazy and get into the game.

Edited by NaTaS
  • Upvote 2

I hate "super fans"... Shut the fuck up and let me enjoy the game.

I hate "super fans"... Shut the fuck up and let me enjoy the game.

How many games have you attended?

You dont want to stand up and cheer on your team, stay the fuck at home :).

• Upvote 1

If you want to sit down and enjoy the game...stay at home. Otherwise: stand up, get a little crazy and get into the game.

This.

Yes, because I'm sure your team appreciates a roaring crowd on 1st and 10 to go while they're on offense. :rolleyes:

Edited by KiLaSix9
  • Upvote 1

We're paying they're enormous salaries. I don't care if we throw full beer cans at them, they better fucking appreciate it.

Yes, because I'm sure your team appreciates a roaring crowd on 1st and 10 to go while they're on offense. :rolleyes:

There is obviously a balance. You guys are focusing on absolutes...Only a sith deals in absolutes. Who said anything about a roaring crowd on 1st down when your team is on offense?

• Upvote 1

There is obviously a balance. You guys are focusing on absolutes...Only a sith deals in absolutes. Who said anything about a roaring crowd on 1st down when your team is on offense?

I think that was mine and JDs point. I'm not saying sit down the entire game and keep it down. There are several moments through out the game where the crowd should be on their feet and making noise. I thought this policy comes into place when you have a douche who stands through out the entire game, blocking your view. Yeah the fans pay and buy a ticket but there is a certain courtesy every fan should have at games.

I think that was mine and JDs point. I'm not saying sit down the entire game and keep it down. There are several moments through out the game where the crowd should be on their feet and making noise. I thought this policy comes into place when you have a douche who stands through out the entire game, blocking your view. Yeah the fans pay and buy a ticket but there is a certain courtesy every fan should have at games.

No, this guys whole point was that he wasnt standing though the entire game and it's in an area of the stadium KNOWN for it's rowdiness. This isn't your normal seat -- this guy is in the Dawg Pound. Again, if you buy a ticket in certain sections, you should know its going to be a bit chaotic and likely you shouldnt bring your 9 year old daughter.

I've had friends ejected for standing during 3rd downs and when the opponent is driving the ball (Lets be honest, it's not been hard to drive on the Browns) and the other teams fans start texting the stadium complaining about the 'standers'. Fuck them.

It's bullshit how highly the stadiums are policed anymore.

Also, there are more than just 'several' moments when you should be on your feet cheering and I'll leave it at that.

somebody behind him is a fucking pussy

Either way, this.

Boo-fucking-hoo is the bottom line really. If you don't want to watch the game through someone, pay up for a better seat.. or join them and cheer on the team you both paid to see.

I'm going to one game this season and you better believe I'm going to enjoy it to the absolute fullest. If someone doesn't like me standing and cheering on the Cowboys, they're obviously rooting for the wrong team. It's bogus to think that someone behind me who probably paid less for their ticket can tell me how to enjoy my purchased seat. This isn't a movie theater.

• Upvote 1

Either way, this.

Boo-fucking-hoo is the bottom line really. If you don't want to watch the game through someone, pay up for a better seat.. or join them and cheer on the team you both paid to see.

I'm going to one game this season and you better believe I'm going to enjoy it to the absolute fullest. If someone doesn't like me standing and cheering on the Cowboys, they're obviously rooting for the wrong team. It's bogus to think that someone behind me who probably paid less for their ticket can tell me how to enjoy my purchased seat. This isn't a movie theater.

My point wasn't that the guy behind him should have sucked it up and dealt with not being able to watch the game. My point was that if the guy is saying he would have sat down if another fan asked him to and the team officials are saying they don't enforce the policy unless a fan complains then, unless someone is lying, a fan complained to stadium security without taking it up with the guy who's bothering you. Seriously, just man up and ask him to sit down, deal with the shit man to man, then if the guy isn't receptive to your asking him to sit that's when you take it up with stadium security.

I don't think Browns security have ever witnessed a fan standing up and cheering for the Browns before. Must've freaked them out.

:rofl::rock: