Sign in to follow this  
Vin

Lions @ Cowboys

TIME: 01:00 P.M. EST

VENUE: Cowboys Stadium

The Detroit Lions showed the kind of resilience in their most recent game that was often missing during their previous seasons.

To equal their best start in 55 years, the Lions might have to outlast a team accustomed to playing some gritty games.

Detroit will try to extend the NFL's longest active regular-season win streak during Sunday's matchup with the resurgent Dallas Cowboys.

The Lions' 20-0 deficit at halftime last week in Minnesota might have seemed like more of the same for a team that's endured 10 consecutive losing seasons and produced the league's only 0-16 campaign in 2008.

Instead, Detroit pulled off a stunning rally behind Matthew Stafford's two touchdown passes to Calvin Johnson and Jason Hanson's four field goals. In overtime, Stafford completed a 40-yard pass to Johnson to set up Hanson's 32-yard kick, which delivered a 26-23 victory.

Johnson, who shares the team lead with 16 catches and leads the Lions with 225 receiving yards, is the first player in NFL history to have two touchdown catches in each of his team's first three games.

"Our team battled and fought their way through," coach Jim Schwartz said. "We couldn't have started the game worse in all three phases, then our defense started playing well and our offense started scoring. It was gratifying to get the win."

Their seventh consecutive victory gave the Lions (3-0) their best start since winning the first four games in 1980 and a team record-tying fourth straight road win. It also kept them as one of the league's three unbeaten teams along with NFC North rival Green Bay and Buffalo.

The Lions started 6-0 in 1956 and 10-0 in 1934, their first season after relocating from Portsmouth, Ohio.

"I think if you go down to our locker room after each of these three weeks, there's nobody that felt that we played our best football yet," Schwartz said.

A trip to face the Cowboys might require the Lions to play one of their better games. Dallas (2-1) has responded from what could have been a demoralizing season-opening loss with a pair of comeback victories.

The Cowboys rallied from a 10-point deficit in the fourth quarter for a 27-24 overtime win at San Francisco on Sept. 18, and Dan Bailey kicked three of his six field goals in the final 16 minutes during an 18-16 victory over Washington on Monday night.

"When the whole season ends up getting written and the book's done on the year, they don't ask you what happened in week two or three or four or six, why you lost or won. It's a 'W' or an 'L,'" quarterback Tony Romo said. "Some are ugly. Some you win going away. But at the end of the year, you need the wins. Tonight was a great example of us keep grinding, keep going forward."

The victory pushed Dallas into a tie for first in the NFC East and was the team's ninth straight game decided by three points or fewer, an NFL-record streak that began after a 35-19 home win over Detroit on Nov. 21. The Cowboys are 5-4 over that stretch.

"Two out of three games in the NFL last year were within one score in the fourth quarter," coach Jason Garrett said. "We play a lot of those games. You have to understand and you have to believe you can make the plays when necessary."

The fractured ribs Romo suffered against the 49ers are still a concern, but he's expected to play again. An injured left shoulder kept him out of last season's matchup against the Lions, but Jon Kitna was stellar against his former team.

Kitna, who played in Detroit from 2006-08, threw for three TDs and rushed for another. Bryan McCann put his team ahead for good with a 97-yard punt return in the third quarter.

Dallas is seeking its third straight win over Detroit and sixth in seven matchups. The Cowboys, though, again may be without top receiver Miles Austin, who sat out Monday's game with an ailing hamstring.

Dez Bryant (thigh) and Felix Jones (shoulder) played through their injuries, and Jones had a career-high 115 yards on 14 carries. He rushed for 51 yards on 11 attempts during last season's matchup with Detroit.

Stafford, who has completed a career-high 66.9 percent of his passes this season for 977 yards and nine TDs, missed that game with an injured right shoulder.

The status of the Lions' top draft pick, defensive tackle Nick Fairley, is unknown. Fairley, selected No. 13 overall out of Auburn, is recovering from foot surgery and has yet to play for Detroit.

Copyright 2011 by STATS LLC and The Associated Press.

We'll lose another undefeated this week.

:Lions: 21

:Cowboys: 24

Dez Bryant (quadriceps) is active for Sunday's game against the Lions.

After reviewing the tape of Monday night's win over the Redskins, the Cowboys coaches saw how hobbled Bryant was. But he's reportedly improved significantly and will start today. With Miles Austin out and the Lions' secondary a weak point, Bryant is a high-upside WR2.

Cowboys inactives: WR Miles Austin, G Derrick Dockery, DE Jason Hatcher, CB Orlando Scandrick and K David Buehler.

Calvin Johnson is active for Sunday's game against the Cowboys.

The Lions are also getting back nickel CB Alphonso Smith, so Aaron Berry is among the inactives.

Detroit's other six inactives are QB Drew Stanton, WR Rashied Davis, OT Jason Fox, OG Jacques McClendon, DT Nick Fairley, and LB Justin Durant.

Bobby Carpenter gets the starting at strong-side linebacker.

Durant out is a big deal, Bobby Carpenter is gonna get wrecked against his old team.

Ultimately, this game does a great job of showing us how much work we still have to do. Were at least one, two years removed from being true playoff contenders.

Lol at the 4th ranked team in the ESPN power rankings getting absolutely destroyed.... Packers better be watching this game.

Forget what I said before... I forgot Tony Romo played QB for Dallas.

I don't really think that the Lions have much to improve on to be serious playoff contenders. As long as Stafford stays healthy then I think they are already there. The offensive playcalling in the beginning of the game was just flat. There wasn't anything special about it. Then they came out in the 2nd half driven to win. It also helped that Dallas crumbled.

Romo made the crucial mistakes and the defense let the Lions go downfield respectively, just another week of Dallas Cowboys football!

Whenever I root for the Cowboys, they always disappoint me.

What's sad here is the better team lost the game. 27-3 after a touchdown at the beginning of the third quarter tells you who the better team is. How we self-destructed comes down to Jason Garrett. Not Tony Romo. Why the hell did Tony Romo throw the ball 47 times? We were destroying a very overrated team that's not going to amount to anything more than a first round punching bag, and we're still throwing the ball all over the field. Didn't Jason think that Jim Schwartz, a defensive mastermind, might figure out a way to slow Tony Romo down? Give me a fucking break. We're double digit points better than the Detroit Lions, and our coach wouldn't stop calling pass plays. This is fucking bullshit.

All this is going to do is throw more people on the Lions bandwagon and when they run into Green Bay and get slaughtered, people will jump right off.

• Downvote 2

The throws just weren't executed well. I have no problem with going for that kill shot in the 2nd Half. To keep momentum on your side and demoralize the opponent for the rest of the game. Again, it has it's risks... but the execution isn't on Garret, nor are the poor decisions that Romo made.

Another question I have is why in the hell did Dez only get 2 catches? Was his snap count limited or something? (I didn't watch this game in it's entirety).

Tony Romo is who we thought he was.

Oh my God. One bad Romo game and he's not that great? He's still the 7th best QB in the league. Tom Brady just cost his team a game against a lesser opponent and nobody says a thing, but Romo does it once and now he's back to not being a good quarterback? Let me hit you with the real reasons we lost this game.

1. 47 pass attempts. Our kill shot was 27-3. We needed to get conservative right here.

2. No sacks. This I don't buy at all. I am convinced that there had to be a multitude of un-called holding penalties on the Detroit OL. There's no way in hell DWare doesn't get a sack or two against this porous OL.

3. 1 Fourth and 1 at the GL. Jason Garrett runs the usual short yardage dive that doesn't work, we turn the ball over on downs.

4. 3 second half points. We pulled a full-on Minnesota.

Jason Garrett is a great disciplinarian and head coach figure, but we need a new OC who can put some balance into this offense. Jason is far too sporadic.

Blame Tony Romo all you want, and he is at fault to a minor extent, but I'm sick and tired of the Romo hate every time he has a bad game. EVERY QUARTERBACK HAS BAD GAMES.

He didn't have a bad game though. He had a bad half.... Which cost his team a major lead to lose. Again.

DMac, you were just saying at half time the Lions were still 1 or 2 years away from being legitimate playoff contenders so get off your high horse lol...

A shame to see such a big lead against a good team come to nothing. And BWare, don't blame Jason Garrett. This one falls on Tony for the most part. Those were just bad passes he made. Our defense could only do so much against a potent Lions' offense, and Romo single-handedly giving them 14 points didn't help matters at all.

Conclusion (if it hadn't already been determined): Tony Romo is not a consistent 60-minute quarterback. You look at every game this season and you will see that.

DMac, you were just saying at half time the Lions were still 1 or 2 years away from being legitimate playoff contenders so get off your high horse lol...

A shame to see such a big lead against a good team come to nothing. And BWare, don't blame Jason Garrett. This one falls on Tony for the most part. Those were just bad passes he made. Our defense could only do so much against a potent Lions' offense, and Romo single-handedly giving them 14 points didn't help matters at all.

Conclusion (if it hadn't already been determined): Tony Romo is not a consistent 60-minute quarterback. You look at every game this season and you will see that.

Where did I say in my last post that I believe we were a legit playoff team? I said were not ready to be a legit playoff team, doesn't mean we can't compete. But at the same time, anyone who thinks the Packers are going to 'slaughter' the Lions, or any team can slaughter us, has no clue of what they are talking about.

Where did I say in my last post that I believe we were a legit playoff team? I said were not ready to be a legit playoff team, doesn't mean we can't compete. But at the same time, anyone who thinks the Packers are going to 'slaughter' the Lions, or any team can slaughter us, has no clue of what they are talking about.

We're gonna slaughter you overhyped kitties. Playing all these bad teams with come behind wins and then the media hops on your nuts. Lmao.

Read my post again. I didn't accuse you of saying the Lions were a legit playoff team. I was mocking you because at half time you were whining about how the Lions were still one or two years away from BEING a legitimate playoff contender...

Look, I'm not trying to say that Romo is free of blame. What I'm trying to get across is that there are much larger faults on this team than him.

Read my post again. I didn't accuse you of saying the Lions were a legit playoff team. I was mocking you because at half time you were whining about how the Lions were still one or two years away from BEING a legitimate playoff contender...

nah... I won't lie, I was panicking a lot more then I should of been after then first half... :redface:

But that's because I was getting the 'we are the same old Lions' feeling. Fact of the matter is you can't make two comebacks in the last 2 weeks the way we have and be considered the same old Lions. I'm just happy to be on the winning end. :p

I'm still trying to understand why with 4:32 left and the lead, you come out passing. Let Felix close out the game or at the very least run it down closer to 2 minutes and punt.