Vin

Update: Matt Ryan scores twice in win over Lions

7 members have voted

1. 1. Who's going to win?

TIME: 01:00 P.M. EST

VENUE: Ford Field

All eyes will be on Detroit Lions coach Jim Schwartz when his team's next game ends.

The Lions' fiery leader just hopes that everyone is watching his postgame handshake with Atlanta Falcons coach Mike Smith following a Detroit victory.

The Lions look to rebound from their first loss of the season Sunday at Ford Field, where the Falcons will likely give running back Michael Turner plenty of chances to deliver the team's first set of back-to-back wins in 2011.

Moments after his team's best start in 55 years ended with Sunday's 25-19 home loss to San Francisco, Schwartz found himself in the middle of a postgame shouting match with 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh.

Not thrilled with Harbaugh's over-exuberant back slap or the expletive he claimed he heard when the two shook hands, Schwartz charged after the 49ers coach, setting off a confrontation between both teams in front of the tunnel.

"It's unfortunate," Schwartz said Monday. "The game's played by the players on the field, and you certainly don't want things like that to occur, but there's competitive people in the league. That's said, we need to do a better job of just leaving it to the players on the field."

On the field, the Lions (5-1) could have a major hole to fill in the backfield if Jahvid Best can't play after suffering a concussion - his third since his final season at California - on Sunday. Best has a team-high 390 rushing yards with two touchdowns and has 27 receptions for 287 yards and a score.

"I have no idea (if I can play Sunday)," Best said after missing Wednesday's practice.

The Lions, ranked 25th in the league with 90.8 rushing yards per game, likely would have plugged Ronnie Brown into the backfield after acquiring him from Philadelphia on Tuesday for Jerome Harrison, but that trade was voided Wednesday.

"If I talk too much, somebody is going to find something wrong with an X-ray," Schwartz said Wednesday before Lions spokesman Bill Keenist said the team would have no further comment.

If Best is inactive, Matthew Stafford and the Lions' passing attack could play an even more crucial role with backups Maurice Morris and Keiland Williams likely getting a majority of the touches out of the backfield.

"Maurice has answered the bell any time its been run for him," Schwartz said. "Keiland has shown some really nice things."

So has Turner, who had two TDs and season highs with 27 carries and 139 yards in Sunday's 31-17 victory over Carolina. With Atlanta (3-3) running the ball 35 times - 13 more than Matt Ryan threw the ball - Turner had plenty of opportunities to rack up yards after averaging 17.7 carries in the previous three games.

"We'd like to be able to do that every week," Ryan said after throwing for 163 yards and a TD.

With the Lions' run defense a work in progress, the Falcons will likely continue that "old-school style of offense" as tight end Tony Gonzalez called it.

Detroit's front four of Ndamukong Suh, Corey Williams, Kyle Vanden Bosch and Cliff Avril are among the most feared in the NFL, but that hasn't stopped teams from running the ball.

The Lions are 26th against the run (129.5 yards per game) after surrendering a season-high 203 against the 49ers.

"If this defense is played properly and everybody fits up where they fit and everybody's doing their job, then team shouldn't run the ball on us," Vanden Bosch told the Lions' official website. "We just need to, as a defense, consistently have the right fits and make sure everybody's in the right spots."

Falcons defensive end Ray Edwards has been the last two weeks, recording a sack in each game. The former Viking has 8 1/2 sacks versus Detroit - his most against any team.

Stafford felt plenty of heat last Sunday, getting sacked a season high-tying five times, but he still found Calvin Johnson seven times for 113 yards.

Johnson had 107 yards receiving the last time these teams met, a Falcons 34-21 home win Sept. 7, 2008, when Turner went for a career-best 220 yards with two scores.

Detroit is 15-4 at home versus Atlanta.

Copyright 2011 by STATS LLC and The Associated Press

Edited by BLUE

:Lions: 40

:Falcons: 18

I sir would like whatever you are injecting into your arm. Lol. 40 - 18? Really? They held the Packers close for most the game. Despite this being away I don't see any reason they can't do the same with the Lions. They have a chacne to win. I don't think they will. But it's not going to be a blowout. Not like that.

I have to agree. People underestimate the loss of Jahvid Best. Him being on the field kept defenses honest and didn't allow them to play too deep because of his skills in the pass game. The Falcons will be able to put a lot more focus on Calvin and Pettigrew now. As long as the Falcons run Turner against their often questionable run-D and keeps the penalties to a minimum I see the birds pulling out a win.

:Lions: 40

:Falcons: 18

Uhmno

This will be a good game. It could go either way especially without Best, but I'll still take Detroit in a close one.

:Lions: 14

:Falcons: 13

If the Falcons run the ball effectively and can control the LOS we'll be in good shape. Also, Matt Ryan needs to pull his act together. He needs to make better decisions, and better throws like right now. It'll be a close game..but if we let the Lions control the LOS on either side of the ball, we're gonna get buttfucked.

Lions declared RB Jahvid Best, DE Willie Young, QB Drew Stanton, S Vincent Fuller, OT Jason Fox, TE Joe John Finley, and WR Rashied Davis inactive for Week 7 against the Falcons.

Maurice Morris will start in place of Best with Keiland Williams also working into the mix. The Lions figure to go pass-heavy, as usual, against a Falcons defense that is stronger against the run. We don't like Morris as more than a flex option this week. TE Tony Scheffler and LB Justin Durant are both returning from concussions on Sunday.

Falcons declared WR Julio Jones, T Sam Baker, C Brett Romberg, DT Carlton Powell, DE Cliff Matthews, CB Darrin Walls and CB Christopher Owens inactive for Week 7 against the Lions.

Jones did some warmups in pregame, which would seem to bode well for chances of returning after the bye week. Will Svitek will be on the spotlight on Matt Ryan's blindside with Baker out against a strong Lions front four. John Abraham is active for the Falcons.

TD Falcons just a few minutes ago. Ryan is gonna get killed this week though.

lol Suh almost twisted Ryan's head off.

Lol the Falcons are leaving Calvin Johnson in single coverage the entire 1st half. Why is Stafford not throwing the ball to him? He's had 3 targets. One was a catch, one way off target, and the other was broken up by Brent Grimes (Who dramatically leaped 2 feet above an already leaping Johnson to get his hands on the ball).

At any rate, I stay calm until I see the 3rd quarter. The Falcons always seem to get the frying pan in the head in the 3rd and screw the entire game. Hopefully they come out with the same intensity, and the coaches adjust. If they don't adjust, I guarantee the Lions will and the Falcons will end up getting destroyed. Looks promising.

Per Rotoworld.com:

Matt Ryan completed 20-of-34 passes for 218 yards, one touchdown, and two interceptions while adding a second score on the ground against the Lions in Week 7.

Outside of the two picks, Ryan played well. After Tony Gonzalez drew two straight pass interference calls in the end zone, Ryan converted a quarterback sneak for a touchdown. He also dropped a perfectly placed touch pass into Roddy White's outstretched hands for 18-yard score. Ryan ended up missing just one play after his ankle and knee were awkwardly twisted underneath LT Will Svitek. He gets a bye in Week 8 followed by a matchup against the Colts. Oct 23 - 5:28 PM

I don't know how Matt Ryan didn't completely shatter his ankle on that play...

Ryan played through some pain, which is what I like to see. He was getting harassed in the first half by the Lions front 4, but he was able to play through it and do a good job. Also good to see our defense really stepping it up, and Grimes did a good job on Megatron. Going into the bye week will def. help us get with our injuries...then a game against the Colts at home should get things going in the right direction.

Ryan played through some pain, which is what I like to see. He was getting harassed in the first half by the Lions front 4, but he was able to play through it and do a good job. Also good to see our defense really stepping it up, and Grimes did a good job on Megatron. Going into the bye week will def. help us get with our injuries...then a game against the Colts at home should get things going in the right direction.

What's weird about it is the fact that his ankle wasn't even what was bothering him at all. It was just his knee that was in pain. When I first saw the replay of Svitek stepping on his ankle and the way it bent, I thought for sure that it had to have been broken.