badgers

NFL Clinching Scenarios

I know the Patriots have clinched the AFC East.

Going into tonight's game don't the Packers clinch the #1 spot with a 49ers loss?

The NFC East basically works like this:

Remaining Schedules:

Cowboys:

W16: vs. Eagles

W17: @ Giants

Giants:

W16: @ Jets

W17: vs. Cowboys

Eagles:

W16: @ Cowboys

W17: vs. Redskins

If the Giants beat the Jets Week 16, the Eagles are out regardless of what they do. If the Cowboys beat the Eagles week 16 the eagles are out and the Cowboys clinch the East. If both the Giants and Cowboys lose Week 16, then week 17 gets interesting.

If the Cowboys win (or tie) Week 17 against the Giants, they're in. If the Giants were to beat the Cowboys, they would not control their own destiny, they'd need the Eagles to lose to the redskins. And if the Eagles were to beat the Redskins, they'd have the division at 8-8.

Yes they can, Ricky. The Saints can't catch up to the Pack due to head to head record and if the 49ers were to lose their 4th game, they could not catch up.

The NFC East basically works like this:

Remaining Schedules:

Cowboys:

W16: vs. Eagles

W17: @ Giants

Giants:

W16: @ Jets

W17: vs. Cowboys

Eagles:

W16: @ Cowboys

W17: vs. Redskins

If the Giants beat the Jets Week 16, the Eagles are out regardless of what they do. If the Cowboys beat the Eagles week 16 the eagles are out and the Cowboys clinch the East. If both the Giants and Cowboys lose Week 16, then week 17 gets interesting.

If the Cowboys win (or tie) Week 17 against the Giants, they're in. If the Giants were to beat the Cowboys, they would not control their own destiny, they'd need the Eagles to lose to the redskins. And if the Eagles were to beat the Redskins, they'd have the division at 8-8.

Even if the Cowboys beat the Eagles Sunday I don't think they clinch unless the Giants also lose to the Jets.

Also if I'm correct if the Steelers win tonight going into Week 16:

Steelers clinch the AFC North with a win and a Ravens loss.

Steelers clinch the #1 seed with a win and a Ravens loss AND a Patriots loss.

If the Cowboys beat the Eagles week 16 the eagles are out and the Cowboys clinch the East.

Not so.

In order for the Boys to clinch, they need a win and a Giants loss. If both the Cowboys and Giants win, or the Cowboys lose and the Giants win, then whoever wins the re-match takes the division.

If both the Giants and the Boys lose, then the following happens: If Dallas wins the rematch, they win the East. If New York wins the rematch and Philly wins their week 17 game, then the Eagles win the East. If New York wins the rematch and Philly loses their week 17 game, then the Giants win the East.

Edited by Thanatos19

... Right, Cowboys are only one game up, and they don't have the tiebreaker. Nevermind.

Week 16 Clinching Scenarios (excluding ties):

New England:

Can Clinch First Round Bye with:

1) NE win + HOU loss

2) NE win + PIT loss + BAL loss

Can Clinch Homefield with:

1) NE win + HOU loss + PIT loss + BAL loss

Baltimore:

Can Clinch Division with:

1) BAL win + PIT loss

1) BAL win + PIT loss + HOU loss

Denver:

1) DEN win + OAK loss

Can Clinch Playoff Berth with:

1) DEN win + NYJ loss + CIN loss + TEN loss

Green Bay:

Can Clinch Homefield Advantage With:

1) GB win

2) SF loss

New Orleans:

1) NO Win

San Francisco:

1) SF Win + NO Loss

Dallas:

1) DAL win + NYG loss

Detroit:

Can Clinch Playoff Berth with:

1) DET win

2) CHI loss + ARI loss + SEA loss + DAL loss

3) CHI loss + ARI loss + SEA loss + NYG loss

4) CHI loss + ARI loss + SEA loss + ATL win

Atlanta:

Can Clinch Playoff berth with:

1) ATL win

2) DAL loss + CHI loss + ARI loss

3) NYG loss + CHI loss + ARI loss

Edited by RazorStar

There's only one scenario that I want to see play out this weekend, and it's not a clinching scenario but rather a keep-my-team-alive scenario. I have discovered a solution to my problem though. I got someone taking care of it for me. Check out my fullproof plan. I bet you wish you'd have thought of it first!

Dear Santa,

All I want for Christmas is a Broncos loss, a Chargers loss, and a Chiefs win this weekend. Oh, and I'm gonna need that on Christmas Eve.

THANKS SO MUCH BIG GUY!!!!!!

If all of that happens, we'll see the :Chiefs: on next weeks scenario post.

Okay so I'm pretty sure the New York Jets can clinch a playoff spot with..

1)NYJ Win + Tenn Loss + Cin Loss + Oak Loss + SD Loss

Not so. If the Bengals were to beat the Ravens week 17, and the Jets lose to the Dolphins week 17, then in that scenario, the Bengals have the tiebreaker based on conference record.

If the Jets and Bengals both were to go 10-6 however, the tiebreaker would go to strength of Victory which I believe is in the Jets favour.

Edited by RazorStar

Not so. If the Bengals were to beat the Ravens week 17, and the Jets lose to the Dolphins week 17, then in that scenario, the Bengals have the tiebreaker based on conference record.

If the Jets and Bengals both were to go 10-6 however, the tiebreaker would go to strength of Victory which I believe is in the Jets favour.

Shit on a stick that's right. And yeah I read some where we have a better strength of victory by like 10 games as of now and if we both won out we'd get the tiebreaker.

Edit: Since I have nothing to do today until work at 7 I think I'll calculate Strength of Victory for all teams in playoff contention. Should be fun.

Edited by JetsFan4Life

I hope you get that win this week, Ricky...even if my reasons are selfish

Current Strength of Victory:

AFC (according to current standings)

New England Patriots: .448 (69-85)

Baltimore Ravens: .507 (71-69)

Houston Texans: .400 (56-84)

Denver Broncos: .446 (50-62)

Pittsburgh Steelers: .450 (63-77)

New York Jets: .402 (45-67)

Cincinnati Bengals: .304 (34-78)

Tennessee Titans: .378 (37-61)

Oakland Raiders: .469 (46-52)

San Diego Chargers: .408 (40-58)

Kansas City Chiefs: .440 (37-47)

NFC (according to current standings)

Green Bay Packers: .440 (80-102)

San Francisco 49ers: .448 (69-85)

New Orleans Saints: .422 (65-89)

Dallas Cowboys: .393 (44-68)

Atlanta Falcons: .365 (46-80)

Detroit Lions: .389 (49-77)

Seattle Seahawks: .418 (41-57)

Chicago Bears: .429 (42-56)

New York Giants: .449 (44-54)

Arizona Cardinals: .388 (38-60)

Philadelphia Eagles: .417 (35-49)

Current Strength of Victory:

AFC (according to current standings)

New England Patriots: .448 (69-85)

Baltimore Ravens: .507 (71-69)

Houston Texans: .400 (56-84)

Denver Broncos: .446 (50-62)

Pittsburgh Steelers: .450 (63-77)

New York Jets: .402 (45-67)

Cincinnati Bengals: .304 (34-78)

Tennessee Titans: .378 (37-61)

Oakland Raiders: .469 (46-52)

San Diego Chargers: .408 (40-58)

Kansas City Chiefs: .440 (37-47)

NFC (according to current standings)

Green Bay Packers: .440 (80-102)

San Francisco 49ers: .448 (69-85)

New Orleans Saints: .422 (65-89)

Dallas Cowboys: .393 (44-68)

Atlanta Falcons: .365 (46-80)

Detroit Lions: .389 (49-77)

Seattle Seahawks: .418 (41-57)

Chicago Bears: .429 (42-56)

New York Giants: .449 (44-54)

Arizona Cardinals: .388 (38-60)

Philadelphia Eagles: .417 (35-49)

Can you explain that tiebreaker, please? I still have trouble on that one. :facepalm:

The Jets do not control their own destiny. They lose the common opponents tiebreaker, I think, if both they and Cincy win out. I'll go see about that.

Can you explain that tiebreaker, please? I still have trouble on that one. :facepalm:

combined record of all teams you've beaten

• Upvote 1

New England Patriots (12-3):

- Patriots have clinched AFC East

- Patriots have clinched First Round Bye

- Patriots will clinch #1 seed with win vs. Buffalo

- Patriots will clinch #1 seed with loss vs. Buffalo AND Pittsburgh loss at Cleveland AND Baltimore loss vs. Cincinnati

- Patriots will clinch #2 seed with loss vs. Buffalo AND Pittsburgh win at Cleveland OR Baltimore win vs. Cincinnati

Pittsburgh Steelers (11-4):

- Steelers have clinched playoff spot

- Steelers will clinch AFC North AND #1 seed with win at Cleveland AND Baltimore loss vs. Cincinnati AND New England loss vs. Buffalo

- Steelers will clinch AFC North AND #2 seed with win at Cleveland AND Baltimore loss vs. Cincinnati AND New England win vs. Buffalo

- Steelers will clinch #5 seed with win at Cleveland AND Baltimore win vs. Cincinnati

- Steelers will clinch #5 seed with loss at Cleveland

Baltimore Ravens (11-4):

- Ravens have clinched playoff spot

- Ravens will clinch AFC North title AND #1 seed with win vs. Cincinnati AND New England loss vs. Buffalo

- Ravens will clinch AFC North title AND #2 seed with loss vs. Cincinnati AND Steelers loss at Cleveland

- Ravens will clinch #5 seed with loss vs. Cincinnati and Pittsburgh win at Cleveland

Houston Texans (10-5):

- Texans have clinched #3 seed in AFC

Denver Broncos (8-7):

- Broncos will clinch AFC West and #4 seed with win vs. Kansas City

- Broncos will clinch AFC West and #4 seed with loss vs. Kansas City AND Oakland loss vs. San Diego

Oakland Raiders (8-7):

- Raiders will clinch AFC West and #4 seed with win vs. San Diego AND Denver loss vs. Kansas City

For the wildcard see my other post.

Edited by JetsFan4Life

So, let's see if we can't break down the AFC. There are 4 spots locked up, the Pats, Ravens, Steelers and Texans are all in spots, and in some order they'll have the 1st, 2nd, 3rd (Texans have this locked up), and 5th seed.

4th seed is going to the AFC West winner, and the Broncos control their own destiny in that regard.

Broncos get the division title if:

1) Denver wins over Kansas City

2) Denver ties, and Oakland ties or loses to San Diego

3) San Diego wins against Oakland

Raiders get the division title if:

1) Oakland wins and Denver loses or ties

2) Oakland ties and Denver loses

The 6th seed is quite a bit more complex and I'll need another post to cover it.

The 6th seed is quite a bit more complex and I'll need another post to cover it.

Yeah, simply if Cincinnati can defeat Baltimore they will be the #6 seed.

I'm going to try and run through all different scenarios that could happen with Tennessee, Oakland,the New York Jets, and Denver on Sunday IF THE BENGALS LOSE TO BALTIMORE (Denver only included in scenarios where Oakland wins because that's the only time it would matter).

Raiders, Titans, Jets, and Broncos all win.

- Raiders get the Wildcard spot (Conference record eliminates Bengals; have a much better Strength of Victory than Titans and Jets)

Raiders, Titans, Jets win; Broncos lose

Denver loses. Then Oakland gets the AFC West and Tennessee gets the wildcard (Conference record eliminates Bengals; common games vs. the Jets).

Raiders, Titans, and Broncos win; Jets lose.

- Titans get the wildcard spot (Conference record eliminates Bengals; Tennessee wins common games against Oakland)

Raiders and Titans win; Jets and Broncos lose.

Denver loses. Then Oakland gets the AFC West and Cincinnati gets the wildcard (head to head vs. Tennessee)

Raiders, Jets, and Broncos win; Titans lose

- Raiders get the wildcard spot (conference record eliminates Bengals, Raiders win head to head vs. Jets)

Raiders and Jets win; Titans and Broncos lose

Denver loses. Then Oakland gets the AFC West and the New York Jets get the wildcard spot (better conference record than Cincinnati)

Raiders and Broncos win; Jets and Titans lose

- Raiders get the wildcard spot (better conference record than Bengals)

Raiders win; Jets, Titans, and Broncos lose

Denver loses. Then Oakland gets the AFC West and Cincinnati gets the wildcard spot.

Titans and Jets win; Raiders lose

- Titans get the wildcard spot (Common games vs. Jets)

Titans win; Jets and Raiders lose

- Bengals get the wildcard spot (head to head vs. Titans)

Jets win; Raiders and Titans lose

- Jets get the wildcard spot (better conference record than Bengals)

Jets, Raiders, and Titans lose

- Bengals get the wildcard spot

Think I covered it all....

Edited by JetsFan4Life

Atlanta's playoff quest starts tomorrow night between the Packers and Bears. If the Packers win, the Falcons are in before the start of the Saints/Falcons game on MNF. However, the division is not out of reach for us. If we win out, and the Saints lose out, the division is rightfully ours. Falcons and Saints play each other this week...Saints will play the Panthers in NOLA the last week of the season and the Falcons will play the Bucs in the dome the last week. It's not that crazy to believe, but it starts on MNF with a win over the Saints. :Falcons:

Atlanta's playoff quest starts tomorrow night between the Packers and Bears. If the Packers win, the Falcons are in before the start of the Saints/Falcons game on MNF. However, the division is not out of reach for us. If we win out, and the Saints lose out, the division is rightfully ours. Falcons and Saints play each other this week...Saints will play the Panthers in NOLA the last week of the season and the Falcons will play the Bucs in the dome the last week. It's not that crazy to believe, but it starts on MNF with a win over the Saints. :Falcons:

You beat the Saints on MNF, and the Panthers will take care of the rest.

Just re-checked my Strength of Victory.

Best case scenario for the Titans they end up with a SOV of 62-82. Best case scenario for the Jets they end up with a SOV of 60-84.

WORST case scenario the Raiders end up with a SOV of 64-80. Therefore the Raiders clinch the advantage on SOV over Titans and Jets.

Raiders, Titans, and Broncos win; Jets lose.

- Raiders get the wildcard spot (Conference record eliminates Bengals; Strength of Victory over Tennessee)

this would give Tennessee the wild card: after the Bengals are eliminated based on conference record, the Titans and Raiders go into the two team tiebreakers where Tennessee wins based on record against common opponents (Houston, Buffalo, Denver, and Cleveland)

• Upvote 1