badgers

NFL Clinching Scenarios

I'll try to keep this updated weekly with scenarios in which each team has a chance to clinch either their division, playoff seed, or wild card spot, etc.

Other admins and stuff can edit this post as well, it can serve as a good reference through the final 5 weeks of the season.

Official clinches:

:49ers: Clinched NFC West

:Packers: Clinched NFC North and NFC Homefield Advantage

:Texans: Clinched AFC South

:Saints: Clinched 2011 playoff berth

:Patriots: Clinched AFC East and AFC First round bye

:Lions: Clinched NFC Wild Card

:Falcons: Clinched 2011 playoff berth

:Steelers: Clinched 2011 playoff berth

:Ravens: Clinched 2011 playoff berth

Official eliminations:

:Colts:Eliminated from playoff contention

:Vikings:Eliminated from playoff contention

:Rams:Eliminated from playoff contention

:jags:Eliminated from playoff contention

:Browns:Eliminated from playoff contention

:Bucs:Eliminated from playoff contention

:Redskins:Eliminated from playoff contention

:panthers:Eliminated from playoff contention

:dolphins:Eliminated from playoff contention

:Bills:Eliminated from playoff contention

:Cardinals:Eliminated from playoff contention

:Eagles:Eliminated from playoff contention

:Bears:Eliminated from playoff contention

:Chargers:Eliminated from playoff contention

Through Week 16:

:Cowboys:@ :Giants: The winner of this game will win the NFC East and advance to the playoffs. The loser will be eliminated

:Broncos: Will clinch the AFC West with a win in week 17

:Raiders: Will clinch AFC West with a win in week 17 and a Broncos loss in week 17

:Bengals: Will clinch 2011 playoff berth with a win in week 17

:Jets: Will clinch 2011 playoff berth with a win in week 17 and a Bengals loss in week 17

:Titans: Not sure what the deal is here. Oochy? All I know is they are not in control...they need some outside help to get in

Thanks for this, point out any errors and we can fix em.

Edited by badgers

:Colts: - Clinch 1st Pick 2012 if they keep starting Curtis Painter :troll:

In a real clinching scenario, the Colts' loss last week coupled with the Bengals' win the Colts have been mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. While it has been a foregone conclusion for a while, it's worth noting since this will be the first time the Colts have missed the playoffs since 2001. To put that nine year streak (2002-2010) into perspective only six other teams made the playoffs in both 2009 and 2010 (NE, NYJ, Bal, Phi, GB, and NO) and now the longest active playoff appearance streak is a tie between Baltimore and Philly at three years, Baltimore will likely take sole possession of that streak this year reaching their 4th consecutive post-season. At nine straight playoff appearances, the Colts tie the NFL record previously set by the Cowboys from 1975-1983, this is not something we're likely to see again any time soon.

Interesting stat, oochymp. It's so weird to not see the Colts in the playoff picture again. So used to Peyton Manning basically locking them in every year.

Get it done.

Edited the main post.

With the Giants loss on MNF, it was made easier for the Packers to clinch the NFC North or at the very least a playoff berth.

:49ers: - Clinch NFC West with a win at home in week 12 over the Rams (2-9)

Success!

2064 in honor of our last championship win.

I missed it last week, but St Louis and Minnesota were eliminated from playoff contention, joining the Colts

For this week, nobody new has been eliminated from playoff contention but Jacksonville will be eliminated with a loss tomorrow night

Thanks oochy, updating the main post.

Main post updated. MNF's result will affect it as well so yeah.

Packers can clinch a bye next week with a win or a Saints loss (but they can't clinch the top seed yet as they and SF are both 3-0 against common opponents with one game in common left, both in week 17) and as a fun side note if the Lions had beaten the Saints then the NFC North wouldn't have been clinched but the eventual NFC North winner would have been assured a first round bye

also: Patriots can clinch AFCE with a win and a Jets loss

Texans can clinch AFCS with a win and a Titans loss

Saints can clinch NFCS with a win and a Falcons loss

I'm sure there are also some basic playoff spot clinching scenarios, but at this point they all require 4-5 teams lose

Random tidbits of knowledge. I like it.

God damn Oochy you are a pro. Lol. Updating the main post.

God damn Oochy you are a pro. Lol. Updating the main post.

pro or stalling studying, take your pick :p

No one can be eliminated next week?

No one can be eliminated next week?

I hadn't looked at that yet (had an exam today) but here you go (out of division tiebreakers get too complicated, so I'm not looking at them, I may look at this again after the week is over):

Miami is eliminated with a loss and a win by Cincinnati, NYJ, Tennessee, or Oakland and Denver

Cleveland is eliminated with a loss OR a win by Cincinnati

Carolina is eliminated with a loss OR wins by Chicago and Detroit

Tampa Bay is eliminated with a loss and win by Atlanta OR wins by Chicago and Detroit

Washington is eliminated with a loss and wins by two of Chicago, Atlanta, and Detroit

Philadelphia is eliminated with a loss and a win by Dallas

As I said, there may be other scenarios that lead to elimination involving obscure tiebreaker scenarios, but I'll look at that after the games

• Upvote 1

New Orleans can clinch a playoff berth with:

WIN + CHI loss or

WIN + DET loss

Pittsburgh can clinch a playoff berth with:

WIN + CIN loss + NYJ loss + TEN loss or

WIN + CIN loss + TEN loss + OAK loss + DEN loss or

WIN + CIN loss + NYJ loss + OAK loss + DEN loss

Thanks Razor that Pittsburgh scenario is a bit complicated, tried to make it as simple as possible. haha.

Miami is eliminated with a loss and a win by Cincinnati, NYJ, Tennessee, or Oakland and Denver

I just played around with ESPN's playoff machine and realized that Oakland's result is irrelevant to Miami's playoff chances:

If Miami loses, Denver wins and Oakland loses this week then Miami's only shot at the playoffs is that Denver wins the AFC West and Cincinnati, NYJ, Tennessee, and Oakland all lose out and end up tied, because of the matchups remaining Kansas City will also be pulled into the tie. Miami and KC will last through the divisional tiebreakers (Miami through divisional record over NYJ, KC by head to head wins over Oakland) leaving a four way tie between Miami, Cincy, Tennessee, and KC. Tennessee and KC get eliminated by conference record, leaving Miami and Cincinnati, but Cincinnati holds the head to head tiebreaker with Miami by virtue of games in common.

If Miami loses, Oakland wins and Denver loses this week then Miami's best shot at the playoffs is that Oakland wins the division and Miami ends up in a tie with Cincinnati, NYJ, Tennessee, Denver, and Kansas City (as above, they're pulled in by the matchups remaining) as above, Miami lasts through the division tiebreaker with NYJ, and Denver advances because of a better conference record than KC, so the remaining tie is between Miami, Cincinnati, Denver, and Tennessee, Tennessee drops out because of conference record, then Denver takes the remaining three way tie by virtue of wins over Cincinnati and Miami

So, Miami's elimination scenario is:

Miami loss and a win by Cincinnati, NYJ, Tennessee, or Denver

I just played around with ESPN's playoff machine and realized that Oakland's result is irrelevant to Miami's playoff chances:

If Miami loses, Denver wins and Oakland loses this week then Miami's only shot at the playoffs is that Denver wins the AFC West and Cincinnati, NYJ, Tennessee, and Oakland all lose out and end up tied, because of the matchups remaining Kansas City will also be pulled into the tie. Miami and KC will last through the divisional tiebreakers (Miami through divisional record over NYJ, KC by head to head wins over Oakland) leaving a four way tie between Miami, Cincy, Tennessee, and KC. Tennessee and KC get eliminated by conference record, leaving Miami and Cincinnati, but Cincinnati holds the head to head tiebreaker with Miami by virtue of games in common.

If Miami loses, Oakland wins and Denver loses this week then Miami's best shot at the playoffs is that Oakland wins the division and Miami ends up in a tie with Cincinnati, NYJ, Tennessee, Denver, and Kansas City (as above, they're pulled in by the matchups remaining) as above, Miami lasts through the division tiebreaker with NYJ, and Denver advances because of a better conference record than KC, so the remaining tie is between Miami, Cincinnati, Denver, and Tennessee, Tennessee drops out because of conference record, then Denver takes the remaining three way tie by virtue of wins over Cincinnati and Miami

So, Miami's elimination scenario is:

Miami loss and a win by Cincinnati, NYJ, Tennessee, or Denver

I had to read that three times. First two made my head spin, lol

oochy's thought processing is lightyears ahead of everyone else.

• Upvote 1

if it makes you feel any better, it made my head spin putting it together (also, I realized somewhere in the middle of it that ESPN's playoff machine runs the second scenario tiebreaker wrong, putting Miami in the playoffs instead of Denver, that screwed with me for a while)

oochy's thought processing is lightyears ahead of everyone else.

:rofl:

if it makes you feel any better, it made my head spin putting it together (also, I realized somewhere in the middle of it that ESPN's playoff machine runs the second scenario tiebreaker wrong, putting Miami in the playoffs instead of Denver, that screwed with me for a while)

Nice little screw up there.

These NFL tiebreakers get confusing way too much. For example, I still get lost on the common opponents tiebreaker.

Edited by BigBen07