BucD

The Official Buccaneers Offseason Thread

Our staff is filled up with a lot of college guys, hopefully they can make a smooth transition.

Our staff is filled up with a lot of college guys, hopefully they can make a smooth transition.

A lot of NFL experience too.

Regardless, it's still wait and see no matter who we have.

Buccaneers extended an original pick tender to restricted free agent OT Demar Dotson.

Bucs coaches have been high on Dotson's athletic ability as a former Southern Miss basketball player who stands 6-foot-9, 315. The 26-year-old held his own in 13 appearances with two starts last year, one as a jumbo tight end and another at right tackle. Pro Football Focus credited Dotson with zero sacks allowed and graded him positively as a run blocker. He may be the Bucs' top swing tackle this year behind LT Donald Penn and RT Jeremy Trueblood.

Buccaneers tendered exclusive rights free agents RB LeGarrette Blount and WR Preston Parker.

Both will earn $540,000 in 2012 and enter restricted free agency in 2013. Blount, 25, will lose his role as the Buccaneers' featured back due to a crippling lack of versatility. Tampa Bay is expected to strongly consider Alabama RB Trent Richardson at the No. 5 overall pick, and could also sign a free agent passing-down ace such as Mike Tolbert. Parker beat out Sammie Stroughter for Tampa's slot receiver role last year and should keep the job.

Blount is getting peanuts again. I'd like to see him have a great 2012 and get paid.

Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports just said on 1040am Tampa w/ TKras that you can "basically pencil in Finnegan" to the Bucs.

As far as the other FAs, he wasn't as sure about...

Said they'll def. be spending big money in FA this year.

DwightFistPump.gif

Wow, if Cole is right about Finnegan coming to Tampa, that is awesome.

Finnegan and Claiborne as CBs in Tampa? Do. Not. Want.

LOL

Do. Want.

:yep:

:p

Yea, they would turn our secondary around so quick.

Imagine this, best case scenario: Sign Finnegan, Draft Claiborne, Ronde comes back, Talib isn't suspended.

If that happens, CB just went from arguably our biggest weakness to probably our biggest strength.

@JasonColeYahoo:

Cortland Finnegan has been texting VJax in hopes of recruiting him to CF's next team, which is looking like Tampa.

Hell yes, make it happen, Dom. If we got both Finnegan and Jackson, I would go nuts.

Edited by GoodellFTL

Per Rotoworld.com:

According to the Tampa Tribune's Ira Kaufman, the Bucs remain interested in free agent MLB Curtis Lofton.

The Bucs reportedly "cooled" their pursuit of Lofton last Tuesday, but Kaufman says they remain interested "at their price." Lofton visited the Saints over the weekend, but has otherwise been greeted by a soft market. His price and the Bucs' price could soon align. Mar 20 - 10:36 PM

Source: Ira Kaufman on Twitter

I'll honestly be pretty pissed off if we don't get Lofton. He obviously is interested and wants to come here. I agree that we shouldn't give him ridiculous money just to get him, but at this point with other team's moves, he has very limited options. Pretty much between us and New Orleans.

If we got Lofton, we could move Foster to WLB. That would make easily the worst LB corps in the league to actually damn good. Especially if Black/Watson can get their shit together and live up to their potential.

Draft a guy in the middle of the draft to play SLB as a plan B type thing for Black/Watson...Bam!

Two moves that would turn this pathetic LB group into a really good LB group.

I'll honestly be pretty pissed off if we don't get Lofton. He obviously is interested and wants to come here. I agree that we shouldn't give him ridiculous money just to get him, but at this point with other team's moves, he has very limited options. Pretty much between us and New Orleans.

If we got Lofton, we could move Foster to WLB. That would make easily the worst LB corps in the league to actually damn good. Especially if Black/Watson can get their shit together and live up to their potential.

Draft a guy in the middle of the draft to play SLB as a plan B type thing for Black/Watson...Bam!

Two moves that would turn this pathetic LB group into a really good LB group.

Yea, I want Lofton pretty bad too. I would still like to see us address LB early on in the draft too even if we get him. Imagine if we got Zach Brown or Lavonte David in the 2nd? Foster, Lofton and David/Brown sounds pretty damn good to me with Black, Hayward and Watson as backups.

I'm hoping our draft goes: 1) Claiborne, 2) Brown/David, 3) Best RB available

I don't think we are getting Lofton and I don't really care. Dude isn't that good. We'll live. :yep:

Yea, I want Lofton pretty bad too. I would still like to see us address LB early on in the draft too even if we get him. Imagine if we got Zach Brown or Lavonte David in the 2nd? Foster, Lofton and David/Brown sounds pretty damn good to me with Black, Hayward and Watson as backups.

I'm hoping our draft goes: 1) Claiborne, 2) Brown/David, 3) Best RB available

With Blount being our only real option at RB on the roster...I wouldn't be very happy at all if Dom waits it out again when selecting a RB. This is going robe a power-o, run first. Offense. Need to have a another guy that can carry the load. Especially if the FO and coaches think that Blount is more of a compliment than a starting, all around, 3-down RB.

We'll (hopefully) be taking a RB in round one or two.

Also, I think Lofton is a very good LB. it appears as though it's between us and the Saints. I think there is a really good chance that he chooses us. :pray:

With Blount being our only real option at RB on the roster...I wouldn't be very happy at all if Dom waits it out again when selecting a RB. This is going robe a power-o, run first. Offense. Need to have a another guy that can carry the load. Especially if the FO and coaches think that Blount is more of a compliment than a starting, all around, 3-down RB.

We'll (hopefully) be taking a RB in round one or two.

Also, I think Lofton is a very good LB. it appears as though it's between us and the Saints. I think there is a really good chance that he chooses us. :pray:

RB's are pretty easy to find and this year has a deep class of RB's. I would be very happy with Polk, Martin or Pead in the 3rd. Honestly, I think our RB's will be pretty successful either way because of Joseph and Nicks.

Per NFC South Blog (ESPN):

Bucs add O-line depth, cap space

March, 22, 2012 11:28 AM ET

By Pat Yasinskas

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers just announced a few minor roster moves.

They have signed free-agent offensive tackle Jamon Meredith to a two-year deal and released defensive ends Tim Crowder and Nick Reed.

Meredith is a four-year veteran, but has appeared in only 17 games with four career starts. He was with Pittsburgh last season. It’s pretty obvious the Bucs are looking at Meredith as possible depth behind starting tackles Donald Penn and Jeremy Trueblood.

Crowder spent the past three seasons with the Buccaneers and made 13 starts. But Crowder became expendable because the Bucs are very high on young defensive ends Adrian Clayborn, Da’Quan Bowers and Michael Bennett. Reed, who joined the team for the final three games of last season and played sparingly, was even more expendable.

The Bucs freed up $1 million in cap space with Crowder’s release and $540,000 by letting Reed go. We don’t know the details of Meredith’s contract yet, but it’s likely to be for somewhere near the minimum. We also don't know exact details of the one-year contract cornerback Ronde Barber signed Wednesday night. But the Bucs had just under $16 million in cap space before those moves.

Although new coach Greg Schiano likes LeGarrette Blount's ability, he made it clear that the starter's role will be scaled back if he doesn't correct his fumbling issues.

"No one who touches the football will get touches if they don't protect the football," said Schiano. "That is one of our core covenants -– (protecting) the ball. It's so important they named the game after it, so we make a big deal about that." Beat writers came away from Wednesday's session believing Schiano "loves" Alabama's Trent Richardson, whom he considers a "bell cow" back.

Source: Tampa Bay Times

Good to hear. Even though he is a bruiser and put the team on his back at times, turnovers are killer in this league. Last season we cut him a lot of slack because the entire team underachieved, the coaching staff wasn't doing anything and we honestly had no one we could bring him to bench him.

I like Schiano's no excuses approach. Everyone is going to be held accountable.

This thread died, but I am bored and decided to do my own roster breakdown and "need ratings" going into the draft. :yep:

Quaterback: #5 Josh Freeman, #6 Dan Orlovsky, #7 Brett Ratliff

Analysis: Freeman will get a chance to rebound from a poor 2011, Orlovsky will back him up.

Need Rating: 4/10. A late round pick on a QB isn't totally out of the question, to challenge Ratliff for the 3rd job or maybe even Orlovsky for the backup job. If not, an UDFA will likely be brought in as the Bucs always like to have 4 QBs in camp. This position could become a major need if Freeman flops again in 2012.

Runningback: #27 LeGarrette Blount, #32 Mossis Madu, #44 Erik Lorig (FB)

Analysis: Blount has shown big play ability, but hasn't shown to be a workhorse and the position lacks depth.

Need Rating: 9/10. The Bucs need to add talent here. Blount isn't good enough to do it on his own and Mossis Madu is borderline practice squad material. Don't be suprised if the Bucs spent two draft picks on the position.

Wide Receiver: #15 Ed Gant, #17 Arrelious Benn, #18 Sammie Stroughter, #19 Mike Williams, #83 Vincent Jackson, #86 Raymond Webber, #87 Preston Parker, #89 Dezmon Briscoe

Analysis: The Bucs adressed the need for a big play receiver by acquiring Jackson in free agency. Mike Williams needs to bounce back from a down 2010 and the position could be a major strength.

Need Rating: 1/10. The position seems set for now. Some UDFAs will come in to compete, but it will be hard to make the roster.

Tight End: #46 Chase Coffman, #80 Zack Pianalto, #82 Kellen Winslow, #85 Collin Franklin, #88 Luke Stocker

Analysis: Winslow is getting older and needs to be replaced in the future. Stocker needs to show his ability after the Bucs gave up two fourths to get him.

Need Rating: 5/10. Not a major need, but could be if the Bucs opted to release/trade Winslow. Some competition could come, but there appears to be some already.

Offensive Tackle: #64 Mike Ingersoll, #65 Jeremy Trueblood, #66 Chris Riley, #69 Demar Dotson, #70 Donald Penn, #73 Derek Hardman, #79 Jamon Meredith

Analysis: Penn and Trueblood seem locked in as starters. But the position lacks depth, the Bucs are high on Dotson but he hasn't shown that much yet.

Need Rating: 6/10. Trueblood needs to be upgraded at some point and the position needs depth, it is certainly possible the Bucs use a draft pick at some point on a tackle.

Offensive Guard/Center: #62 Ted Larsen, #75 Davin Joseph, #76 Jeremy Zuttah, #77 Carl Nicks

Analysis: The Bucs have arguably the best duo of guards in the league. But as you can obviously see, they lack depth.

Need Rating: 2/10. Depth is needed, but some of the tackles can swing over and some UDFAs will be brought in, maybe a late draft pick. But doubtful the Bucs spend a pick on a guard, maybe a late pick could be used on a center incase Zuttah is injured or struggles, but a UDFA is more likely.

Defensive End: #50 Daniel Te'o-Nesheim, #71 Michael Bennett, #78 E.J. Wilson, #91 Da'Quan Bowers, #94 Adrian Clayborn, #97 George Johnson

Analysis: The Bucs spent their first two picks in the draft last year to upgrade the position, and saw potential. Depth isn't totally out of the picture but the Bucs seem set for now.

Need Rating: 2/10. It is unlikely the Bucs spend a draft pick on the position. Clayborn and Bowers were high picks last year and the Bucs are very high on Bennett. The Bucs also talked up Wilson before he went on IR in preseason last year. Some UDFAs will come in to challenge guys like Johnson and Te'o-Nesheim for roster spots though.

Defensive Tackle: #90 Roy Miller, #92 Brian Price, #93 Gerald McCoy, #95 John McCargo, #96 Amobi Okoye, #98 Frank Okam

Analysis: McCoy and Price have loads of talent, but injuries hamper them. If healthy, the position should be a strength in 2012.

Need Rating: 2/10. The Bucs signed Okoye to adress the depth need here, so it is very unlikely a draft pick is spent on the position.

Linebacker: #45 Rennie Curran, #49 Mike Balogun, #51 Jacob Cutrera, #56 Dekoda Watson, #57 Adam Hayward, #58 Quincy Black, #59 Mason Foster

Analysis: The Bucs sturggled with this position last year, but will count on Foster improving off his rookie season and Quincy Black bouncing back to 2010 form.

Need Rating: 10/10. The Bucs need to adress this position badly, but the value may not be there to do it early. The Bucs are going to count on Foster and Black playing better, but what they do with the other outside spot is unknown. They could re-sign Geno Hayes, but he's struggled. It is almost certain the Bucs use at least one of their picks on a linebacker though.

Cornerback: #20 Ronde Barber, #21 Eric Wright, #23 Myron Lewis, #24 Anthony Gaitor, #25 Aqib Talib, #31 E.J. Biggers

Analysis: Easily the toughest position to gauge because of Aqib Talib's stupidity. It could be a major need, or a decent position. How well Barber can play at his age is a big factor too.

Need Rating: 6/10 or 9/10. Again, it depends on Talib's trial. But unfortunatly, the Bucs will not know the result until after the draft. The Bucs are likely to spend a draft pick on this position, an early one possibly.

Safety: #22 Larry Asante, #30 Devin Holland, #35 Cody Grimm, #43 Ahmad Black

Analysis: The release of Tanard Jackson suprised a lot of people, and the position was a question mark even before then. Grimm is likely to start at one of the safety positions, but the other is a complete question mark. The Bucs supposedly like the potential of Asante and Black.

Need Rating: 10/10. The Bucs need new safeties. The position is likely going to get some looks in the draft, and don't be suprised if the Bucs brought a veteran in after the draft.

Special Teams: #3 Jacob Rogers, #9 Michael Koenen, #10 Connor Barth (Franchised), #48 Andrew Economos

Analysis: The Bucs need to get a contract done with Barth, who had the most accurate season kicking in franchise history. Koenen also has proven to be one of the better punters the Bucs have had in a while.

Need Rating: 0/10. The Bucs have some question marks in the return game, but as far as kicking. We're totally set.

Quincy Black at MLB with Mason Foster at OLB with Adam Hayward. Cody Grimm and Ronde Barber lining up at safety spots.

Interesting...

Players running everywhere, coaches screaming like drill sergeants. Schiano's voice carrying over all of them. Incredibly intense. #Bucs Craig Smith

It has been confirmed that Dezmon Briscoe was the one who did not show up yesterday.

Also, some rumors going around that we are trying to trade Talib.

Just because we're trying Ronde out at safety in a April minicamp, doesn't mean we'll see it this fall. I think they are just giving it some looks incase, and if the Bucs end up drafting Morris Claiborne, then it becomes a stronger possibility.

Also the Bucs signed RB Robert Hughes and DB Ron Girault today. Both were trying out at minicamp and impressed enough to come back for camp. Hughes was on the Bears' practice squad last year and Girault played for Schiano at Rutgers, he was undrafted in 2008 and saw some stints with the Chiefs and Jets with no regular season experience.

Quick question, for all the NFC south guys.

If I am Tampa's GM I pass on Claiborne. I do not think he is the best cover corner in the draft, although he is very good.

With this draft being DEEEEEEEEPPP at a lot of positions of need, would you shop the 5th pick ? TO be honest I think you could pull great value from trading back to the teens and getting Keuchly, and then landing at least two other day two picks. I havent really given it much thought but what about something like

Keuchly

Jenkins

Adams/Zach Brown/Ronnel Lewis (whoever is there)

Polk/Trumaine Johnson

Zebire Sanders.

I think that would address a lot of whole in the first two days with guys who can compete day one.

I may be way off, but what do you think ?

Ngata, I want the Bucs to try and trade down regardless who is there at #5. I think we would just get better value and fill more holes. My ideal situation is the Vikings take Claiborne and Browns take Richardson, and then we trade down to #10 (Bills) and the Bills take Kalil at #5. We would get at least a 2nd, 3rd and 4th from that and could take Kuechly at #10, who is the best linebacker and a top 10 prospect in this draft and would fill our biggest need.

Trading down is my #1 option, if we can't find a partner, I want Claiborne, but would definitely still be fine with Richardson or Kalil.

Edited by GoodellFTL