BucD

The Official Buccaneers Offseason Thread

I hope we begin narrowing the list down instead of waiting to interview more people. I mean we've already interviewed eight candidates, if that isn't enough then it must say a lot about how little the Bucs are impressed so far.

Anyways, since Pat Y did it and I'm bored, I ranked the candidates we've interviewed in order I'd like them hired....

1)Mike Zimmer

2)Rob Chudzinski

3)Marty Schottenheimer

4)Joe Philbin

5)Mike Sherman

6)Tom Clements

7)Jerry Gray

8)Brad Childress

There is a big dropoff from the first three for me....

ESPN.com also reported the Bucs likely will select one former coach and one coordinator as finalists and bring them back for second interviews next week.

As in "we know nothing but this is what we're going to say could happen"

Bucs haven't even done 2nd interviews yet... Wow.

The day Raheem was fired, Joel Glazer said they would take their time on this. I keep saying it, but I think the Glazers feel silly for hiring Raheem so quickly after firing Gruden. They want to be cautious and not rush into a decision. But at this point, you have to start moving closer to a decision. We don't need to interview Perry Fewell, he hasn't done anything out of the ordinary and isn't worth waiting around for. I know you want to take your time, but it has been nearly three weeks and we've interviewed eight guys with all kinds of different backgrounds and experience. If they still are looking to interview more people, it says a lot about how unimpressed they are with what they have so far OR the Glazers are really committed to taking their time, or maybe a combination of both.

Maybe I'm being an impatient fan, but we need to begin getting closer to a decision already. We're going to miss out on coordinators and position coaches because we're taking too long.

We're going to miss out on coordinators and position coaches because we're taking too long.

I think that's the main issue in all of this. The other teams are hiring all of the available good coaches, while we may get stuck with a bunch of rejects or first timers. I think it's good they are taking their time with it, but there is a such thing as taking too much time with it. I think it all points to the inexperience though. Raheem was the Glazer boys first hire, this is going to be their 2nd. And who do they have helping? An inexperienced GM.

Bucs haven't even done 2nd interviews yet... Wow.

Yea...sad...

Supposedly Philbin had a 2nd interview scheduled with the Bucs before the Dolphins offered him their job.

Bucs general manager Mark Dominik was in the process Monday of informing candidates the team had interviewed whether they were finalists or no longer under consideration. Sherman is the first to be confirmed for a second interview but there are likely to be more.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/content/sherman-among-finalists-bucs-head-coaching-job

Sherman is the first to be confirmed for a second interview

Mother of God. Please say it ain't so.

Edited by Shotgun

What the Buccaneers need is a new look to the running game. You've got Legarrette Blount and Greg Lumpkin. Give your first round quarterback more chances to prove himself and take some of the pressure off of him. Give him a runningback that can catch a pass out of the backfield and be relied on more heavily than Blount. As beastly as Legarrette Blount is from time to time, he doesn't show up majority of the time. This attributed majorly to the dismal offense. The key to rebuilding an offense is investing in offensive line, and factor backs. A Darren Sproles type runningback would do wonders for Josh Freeman and the Bucs offense. Legarette Blount cannot be a feature back. He is more of a Duece Staley type back.

I have seen some mocks where the Bucs take Trent Richardson. He would be a more complete back than Blount.

And just thinking out loud.

If Zimmer happens to get the HC then think about it.

Zimmer, Nolan and Spags all in the NFC South.

Blount is not in any shape or form a problem for this team. He is a beast. We could use someone to catch some passes out of the backfield on 3rd downs, but Blount should remain the feature back. The problem is the defense, we get behind so much and so quickly that we are forced to give up on the run early in games. The entire defense except the DL and Mason Foster is up for replacement IMO.

I can't believe that no other candidate has been confirmed for a second interview.

Two reasons, IMO, for this...

1.) Sherman is the guy and was always the backup plan if Chip Kelly fell through...which it did...

2.) They purposely released the Sherman second interview because they are keeping another candidate secret (could be one of the other guys interview or another guy not known) and using the Sherman interview as a distraction.

I cannot wait for this to be over!!!!!

lol

I've heard that a lot of people involved are getting annoyed with the Bucs because they are dragging their feet too long to get back with people and they have a hard time moving forward without knowing what their decision is.

I can't believe that no other candidate has been confirmed for a second interview.

Two reasons, IMO, for this...

1.) Sherman is the guy and was always the backup plan if Chip Kelly fell through...which it did...

2.) They purposely released the Sherman second interview because they are keeping another candidate secret (could be one of the other guys interview or another guy not known) and using the Sherman interview as a distraction.

I cannot wait for this to be over!!!!!

lol

Zimmer supposedly has a 2nd interview scheduled but I haven't seen a legit source. It's only Tuesday though they'll likely interview 1 or 2 other guys. We'll probably hear about one of them in contract talks and get an official announcement Monday.

Not much but...

@josephperson (Joe Person):

No real news on Panthers off coord Rob Chudzinski, although the buzz at the Sr. Bowl is the Bucs likely will call Chud for 2nd interview.

First there is...

@620wdae 620 WDAE, (Tampa Bay):

According to Joseph Person of the Charlotte Observer (@Theobserver), Rob Chudzinski getting second interview with the #Buccaneers. #NFL

Which in the link provided (http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/23399/Chudzinski-to-get-second-interview-with-Bucs/Default.aspx) all it states is that "the buzz" is that he'll get a second interview.

Then...

@TBO_Buccaneers (TBO Buccaneers):

Roy: 2nd interview with Panthers OC Rob Chudzinski for Bucs HC job has NOT been arranged. YET. Many believe it will shortly.

PLEASE let this guy get a second interview.

Chud >>>>>>> Sherman

Chud has become my #1 choice just because of what he can bring/offer out offense and Josh Freeman.

@NFLSTROUD (Rick Stroud):

Mike Sherman will meet with Bucs owners today but 2nd interview won't take place in Texas or Tampa.

I don't get why fans like Chud so much. He has hardly any NFL coordinator experience. I don't like the thought of having a head coach that I haven't seen have 2 successful years in a row. I don't recall there ever being a coach in the last 20 years with his coaching background that has been at all successful. Andy Reid didn't have any coordinator experience but he came from a great coaching tree.

Edited by Shotgun

I hope this is over by the end of the week. Not only are we missing out on good coordinators, but we need good positional coaches too. We don't have a single coach on the team, we can't go a couple weeks like that. The Glazers are just pissing me off more and more with every passing day lol.

@TBO_Buccaneers (TBO Buccaneers):

Roy: Tennessee Titans DC Jerry Gray says he is officially out of the running for Bucs HC job. The roster cuts have begun. More to come.

Fucking finally...let's get this rolling and done with already....

Per RotoWorld:

The Buccaneers have asked for permission to interview Cardinals WRs coach John McNulty, ostensibly for their offensive coordinator position. New coach Greg Schiano was hired for "what he is defensively," explained GM Mark Dominik. Schiano is now turning to McNulty, Rutgers coordinator and QBs coach from 2004-2008, to head up the offense. McNulty is under contract. The Cardinals can deny him from interviewing in Tampa, though Ken Whisenhunt isn't expected to stand in the way of an obvious promotion.

Jan 27 - 11:40 AM

Source: St. Petersburg Times

@BucSidelineGuy Lots of speculation Schiano will be bringing both OC Frank Cignetti & DC Robert Fraser from #Rutgers to #Bucs but that remains 2 be seen

@BucSidelineGuy Again, Cignetti HAS #NFL QB coach exp. w/#49ers & #Saints Fraser has only been a college coach. Obviously #Rutgers will fight 2 keep both

Edited by GoodellFTL