Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

**Update** Eagles place franchise tag on DeSean Jackson

Per Rotoworld.com:

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that the Eagles "are listening" to trade offers for DeSean Jackson, who will be franchise tagged before March 5.

The aggressive Eagles, who have become even more so under GM Howie Roseman, are always "listening." In an ideal world, Philly could move on from Jackson and receive a high-round pick in return without having to fork over any monetary compensation. We don't think any team would surrender a first- or second-round pick for Jackson, and that he'll ultimately stay with the Birds. Feb 25 - 9:13 AM

Source: ESPN.com

Edited by BLUE

If we could get a third second round pick for Jackson I would be estatic.

i hate the eagles and desean jackson but considering whats being offered they should def keep him

Per Rotoworld.com:

Eagles assigned the franchise tag to WR DeSean Jackson.

"We want DeSean to be an Eagle for the long haul and this is a step ... to accomplish that," announced GM Howie Roseman. "We will continue our efforts on getting a long-term deal done with him." We wouldn't hold our breath on that one. The Eagles are open to trade offers on Jackson, though the most likely scenario is a return to Philadelphia at $9.4 million, perhaps after missing offseason workouts in protest. If Jackson shows improved attitude and production, the Eagles can then reward him with a long-term deal in November. Mar 1 - 4:24 PM

CSN Philly's Reuben Frank confirms the Eagles intend to keep franchise player DeSean Jackson rather than trading him this offseason.

Despite a lack of progress on a long-term deal for two years, the Eagles insist their aim is still to lock up Jackson. While we have a hard time believing GM Howie Roseman won't be willing to listen to offers, the chances of a trade are a small. Interested teams will have to meet the Eagles' asking price while also satisfying Jackson's exorbitant contract demands. Mar 1 - 4:51 PM

Source: Reuben Frank on Twitter

Tim McManus of Philly Sports Daily reports free agent DeSean Jackson plans to sign his franchise tag tender "ASAP."

The Eagles have shown a willingness to rescind the tag, but it's at least mildly surprising that Jackson and agent Drew Rosenhaus wouldn't believe they could top $9.5 million per year on the open market. Perhaps they realize other teams view Jackson as a head case in need of image repair. Rosenhaus indicated early in the week that he'd "roll up his sleeves" in hopes of converting the franchise tag to a long-term contract. Mar 1 - 5:52 PM

Source: Tim McManus on Twitter

Predictable. There was no chance that the Eagles would have let him walk without compensation. Now the question becomes; will Desean Jackson go back to being Desean Jackson without a long-term deal? Sure $9.4 Million is big fucking motivator to play, but does it show the respect that he feels he is bue?

Really didn't see this happening. Hope we can get something for him because I don't really want to see him around next year unless he undergoes a huge attitude adjustment.

"We want DeSean to be an Eagle for the long haul and this is a step ... to accomplish that," announced GM Howie Roseman. "We will continue our efforts on getting a long-term deal done with him.

:facepalm:

I swear, if we don't sign a linebacker in free agency...

Lmao. I loved the report...

"Desean Jackson will sign his tender ASAP"

I can't explain to how much I would NOT want this guy on my team in 2012. Whether I am the Eagles or the Browns or whomever is looking at WR.

Say No To DeSean in 2012.

I don't even understand that quote by Tim McManus. Rosenhaus isn't retarded enough to think DeSean could get close to 9.5mil a year. Even without his character issues this past season, he's still an overrated burner with one of the worst hands in the league.

Free agent DeSean Jackson released a statement Thursday, indicating he's "honored" that the Eagles organization perceives him as a franchise player.

"I look forward to getting a long-term deal done soon and being an Eagle for many years to come," added Jackson. The two sides had been negotiating an extension over the past week, but remained "far apart." Expected to sign his tender shortly, Jackson would have no reason to skip offseason workouts in protest. The Philadelphia Inquirer considers a trade "unlikely."

Source: Philadelphia Inquirer & Daily News

If we give DeSean something like $8 million/year or worse, I'm going to be livid. Hell, I wouldn't want to pay him anything more than $5 million this season alone, and there's absolutely no reason to make a long-term investment into a wide receiver with motivational issues and who's one more concussion away from ending his career in the NFL.

If we give DeSean something like $8 million/year or worse, I'm going to be livid. Hell, I wouldn't want to pay him anything more than $5 million this season alone, and there's absolutely no reason to make a long-term investment into a wide receiver with motivational issues and who's one more concussion away from ending his career in the NFL.

BUT HEZ SUPER FAST STEVO!!!!

BUT HEZ SUPER FAST STEVO!!!!

:p

I won't deny that DeSean's impact as a vertical threat makes our offense much better. Hell, during the game (forget who we were playing) this season when DeSean was hurt, nobody was getting open. Nobody. It was 2007 all over again. I'm not sure if that's indicative of our other receivers' inability to separate, Andy Reid's inability to draw up strong plays, or both. In either case, we definitely need a vertical receiver to fill that role; I just don't think DeSean should be that guy, and I'm pretty sure you agree with me.

Jeremy Maclin had a really rough off season which translated into a really tough regular season but he still managed to be decent. I still have faith in Maclin. I think all that stuff that happened last year was sorta flukey. I think a mid level vet and a draft pick would have been oke to fill DeSean's shoes because I fully believe Maclin will stretch the field a lot more next year.

Jeremy Maclin had a really rough off season which translated into a really tough regular season but he still managed to be decent. I still have faith in Maclin. I think all that stuff that happened last year was sorta flukey. I think a mid level vet and a draft pick would have been oke to fill DeSean's shoes because I fully believe Maclin will stretch the field a lot more next year.

I'm expecting big things from Maclin as well, though we still need someone to fill that #2 role, because Avant is a fine slot guy and Cooper is a decent #4 but probably nothing more. Wouldn't mind Michael Floyd, though I'd rather sign some mid-level guy like Stevie Johnson. Who knows, maybe DeSean still gets traded for a 2nd round pick or something.