Sign in to follow this  
NaTaS

Update: Hillis and the CIA story false?

via ESPN

By Adam Schefter:

The Browns have made the decision not to use their franchise tag on running back Peyton Hillis, according to a source familiar with the situation.

Throughout the past season, Hillis has wavered about whether he wants to continue playing football, and even considered joining the CIA, according to team sources.

It is unclear if he actually pursued a career with the CIA.

Hillis told Browns coaches as recently as the end of the season that he was contemplating retirement, though it now looks as if he will continue playing, the sources said.

But Hillis has felt defeated throughout his time in football, whether it was being benched at Arkansas in favor of Felix Jones and Darren McFadden, being traded away from the Denver Broncos, or being unable to procure the long-term deal he desired in Cleveland. It led him to tell Cleveland's coaches that he didn't know whether he wanted to play football anymore.

Now Hillis is about to become a free agent and test his value on the open market.

Browns general manager Tom Heckert told ESPN's Josina Anderson on Wednesday that the team would like to keep Hillis if the contract is reasonable.

"If we can work something out with Peyton (Hillis) we will," Heckert told ESPN. "Did he have some rough patches during the season? Yes. Were there stretches where things were blown out of proportion? Yes. Honestly, I feel like a lot of that was blown up in the media. Now, of course things will still come down to the money, but we'll just have to wait and see."

Hillis and his agent Kennard McGuire have made the mutual decision to part ways. McGuire declined comment, and Hillis could not be reached for comment.

Adam Schefter is ESPN's NFL Insider.

Love his running style...hate his drama. I've been his biggest supporter, through the strep throat, the prolonged hamstring injury and missing the Boys and Girls club charity event...He is wearing out his welcome in Cleveland.

Edited by NaTaS

rickywilliamssmokingph3.jpg

Dude is a just a surreal character. Not sure we have ever witnessed PEOPLE like this in the NFL.

To top it all off, he's fired his 3 agents in a year.

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on February 29, 2012, 3:11 PM EST Last October, we noted that Browns running back Peyton Hillis used three different agents in 2011 alone. He’s celebrating the upcoming new league year by making another change.

Hillis is looking for his fourth agent since the start of 2011 after parting ways with agent Kennard McGuire, according to Josina Anderson of ESPN.com. There is a minimum five-day window before Hillis can hire a new agent.

It’s a bad look for Hillis. Again. The Madden cover subject consistently overvalued himself last year, which is why he felt the need to keep firing agents. His contract push became such a distraction that his teammates had to pull him aside intervention-style during the season and tell him to knock it off. There were accusations he didn’t play through injuries or give his best effort.

We hear a lot in the buildup to the draft about “off-field” red flags. It usually involves drugs or arrests, but Hillis’ behavior over the last year is a red flag. He struggled to work with teammates and put money concerns aside. He’s struggled to work with agents.

Hillis likely keeps changing agents because he wants more money than the agents think he’s worth. He doesn’t seem to realize that he hurts his value every time he creates another negative headline.

The man is a monster, I loove the way he runs and would be a great 4th quarter back, to just pound it on a tired defense. That said he has a hair trigger before he throws a tantrum apparently. You would have to give him the rock or he would feel slighted again and then cry about it.

Per Rotoworld.com:

Free agent Peyton Hillis is calling an ESPN report that claimed he wanted to join the Central Intelligence Agency last season, "100 percent false."

Hillis believes someone concocted the story "to try to devalue him in free agency." It's worth noting that ESPN's report cited team sources, and it's conceivable that a Browns employee leaked the bizarre details purposely so Cleveland could re-sign Hillis on the cheap. "I don't know what's going on or who came up with a story like that, but they should've come up with a better one to make it sound more legit," said Hillis. "I never one time mentioned anything to any coach about retirement or joining the CIA or anything like that." Mar 2 - 7:53 PM

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer

Edited by BLUE

Per Rotoworld.com:

Browns WR Josh Cribbs suggested Saturday that Peyton Hillis' now-former agent, Kennard McGuire, is behind the story that Hillis once considered retiring to join the Central Intelligence Agency.

"We knew better than that,'' Cribbs said. "As soon as we heard it, we were like, 'Oh, did something happen between the two?' Oh, he's deciding to go with a different agent? Well, now you see.'' Hillis believes the story was concocted to "try to devalue him in free agency," and indicated he would be open to a ''hometown discount'' to re-sign with the Browns. With questions on his attitude and ability to stay healthy, Hillis won't land big money on the open market. Mar 3 - 9:35 PM

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer

It sucks that a scam like that has to hurt his value like that. I don't think it should.

More on the Hillis saga.

via NFP

Cleveland Browns receiver/return man Joshua Cribbs makes an interesting accusation regarding the story that emerged a few days ago with teammate Peyton Hillis and his consideration of joining the CIA.

Cribbs tells the Morning Journal that he thinks Cribbs' former agent, Kennard McGuire might have leaked the story, though he offers no proof of such.

Hillis, who is scheduled to be a free agent March 13, parted ways with McGuire just before the story came out about his considering retirement from the Browns to join the Central Intelligence Agency.

That tends to hurt a person's credibility when you (an agent) get released," Cribbs said. "It happens all the time. Then you try to scorn a guy. I didn't think that was a great move for him to try to get future athletes under his belt to try to slur a guy's good name. We knew better than that."

Cribbs was asked by the newspaper if he thought the rumor came from McGuire and said, "I guess so. I don't know too much on the matter. You see how it all came down. It's unfortunate his prior agent would do that to him."

Cribbs said he also believes the Browns need Hillis, who struggled through a tumultuous 2011 season, back in order for the team to be at its best.

"This sport is about winning and putting ourselves in the best chance to win," Cribbs said. "The coaches and organization leaders, I know they're thinking the same thing.

"If they feel we can win without him, I would have to disagree. A lot of negative things have been said about him in negative ways, but I know him personally and I vouch for that guy. When he suits up he's ready to play."

"This sport is about winning and putting ourselves in the best chance to win," Cribbs said. "The coaches and organization leaders, I know they're thinking the same thing.

"If they feel we can win without him, I would have to disagree. A lot of negative things have been said about him in negative ways, but I know him personally and I vouch for that guy. When he suits up he's ready to play."

Edited by NaTaS

And the funny thing is...the majority of the American population was probably stupid enough to believe this. Seriously, I think at least half of our population were those kids who repeatedly stuck their fingers into a metal fan blade.

And the funny thing is...the majority of the American population was probably stupid enough to believe this. Seriously, I think at least half of our population were those kids who repeatedly stuck their fingers into a metal fan blade.

He has set a precedence for drama. It wasnt totally out of the realm of possibility.

Can't help but love when things are made into huge issues, especially when they shouldn't be.