BucD

NFL Investigates Saints RE: Their "Bounty System"

@AdamSchefter: NFL security determined between 22 and 27 defensive players on the Saints, as well as at least one asst. coach, maintained a bounty program.

@AdamSchefter: Investigation reviewed 18.000 documents totaling more than 50,000 pages. Commissioner Goodell will determine the discipline.

@AdamSchefter: NFL determined that former Saints DC Gregg Williams administered the program with knowledge of other defensive coaches.

@AdamSchefter: Discipline for the Saints could include fines, suspensions and forfeiture of draft choices.

@AdamSchefter: NFL investigation of Saints began in 2010 when allegations were made that Saints targeted QBs such as Brett Favre and Kurt Warner.

@BobGlauber: NFL drops bombshell investigation into Saints' bounty system that could result in severe sanctions.

@BobGlauber: NFL found that Saints' players & one assistant coach had bounty system to purposely injure players, including Favre, Warner in '09 playoffs.

@BobGlauber: Saints bounty system: players paid $1,500 for "knockout," $1,000 for a “cart-off,” per NFL investigation. Payments increased in playoffs.

@BobGlauber: Per NFL, between 22-27 Saints' def players & at least one asst coach were involved. Fines, suspensions, removal of draft choices possible.

@BobGlauber: Goodell on bounty: “It is our responsibility to protect player safety, integrity of our game & this type of conduct will not be tolerated."

@BobGlauber: Gut feeling: Goodell is gonna absolutely slam the Saints on bounties. Can see Sean Payton suspension, fines & draft pick forfeiture.

@BobGlauber: Saints GM Mickey Loomis also caught up in bounty story. NFL says Saints owner Tom Benson ordered him to stop bounty system. He didn't.

@BobGlauber: Per NFL investigation: def. coord. Gregg Williams ran bounty system with knowledge of other def. coaches. Williams contributed some $$.

@BobGlauber: Gregg Williams now defensive coordinator in St. Louis. Assume he will face hefty discipline including fines and suspension.

@JasonLaCanfora: League has yet to decide discipline on Saints or any individuals for the bounty violations. It will be discussed at the March league meeting

@JasonLaCanfora: According to the NFL, the bounty pool totaled upwards of $50K at times w/ payments for "knock-out hits" w/ players and coaches contributing

@JasonLaCanfora: NFL investigation says Saints coaches and GM Mickey Loomis did not intervene to stop bounties when owner Tom Benson instructed them to

@JasonLaCanfora: Statement from Saints owner Tom Benson: "I have offered and the NFL has received our full cooperation in their investigation ...

@JasonLaCanfora: While the findings may be troubling, we look forward to putting this behind us and winning more championships in the future for our fans."

More Tweets and articles to come I'm sure...

LOLSAINTS!!

@SI_PeterKing: In my opinion, the penalties on this will be worse, and maybe significantly worse, than Spygate.

@AdamSchefter: A safe prediction: Saints will be disciplined far worse than the Patriots were for Spygate.

Per NFL.com:

NFL says Saints created 'bounty program' from 2009-2011

Published: March 2, 2012 at 03:17 p.m.

After a lengthy investigation conducted by the NFL's security department, the league announced Friday that 22 to 27 defensive players on the New Orleans Saints maintained a "bounty program" administered by then-defensive coordinator Gregg Williams during the 2009, 2010 and 2011 season.

The program runs in violation of league rules, and the investigation showed that Saints players received $1,500 for a “knockout” hit and $1,000 for a “cart-off” hit with payouts doubling or tripling during the team's three playoffs appearance. The program also entailed payments for interceptions and fumble recoveries, which also violates league rules against non-contract bonuses. NFL Commission Roger Goodell will determine the appropriate discipline, the league said in a statement.

"The payments here are particularly troubling because they involved not just payments for ‘performance,’ but also for injuring opposing players,” Goodell said in a statement released by the league. “The bounty rule promotes two key elements of NFL football: player safety and competitive integrity.

“It is our responsibility to protect player safety and the integrity of our game, and this type of conduct will not be tolerated. We have made significant progress in changing the culture with respect to player safety and we are not going to relent. We have more work to do and we will do it.”

Goodell said the investigation began in 2010 after allegations were made that the Saints defenders had targeted Arizona Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner and Minnesota Vikings quarterback Brett Favre during their 2009 run to the Super Bowl.

"Our security department interviewed numerous players and other individuals," Goodell said. "At the time, those interviewed denied that any such program existed and the player that made the allegation retracted his earlier assertions. As a result, the allegations could not be proven. We recently received significant and credible new information and the investigation was re-opened during the latter part of the 2011 season.”

The investigation found the program was funded primarily by players and at one time might have reached $50,000. The league also said that other defensive coaches in addition to Williams, now the St. Louis Rams defensive coordinator, were aware of the program.

The Saints have gained a reputation in league circles as a dirty team in recent years, and Vikings running back Adrian Peterson said this past season that the Saints targeted his high left ankle sprain.

"I felt like it kind of got overboard," Peterson said at the time. "I got up and kind of got in his face. Thank God I was able to keep my composure."

The Saints denied Peterson's claims.

Edited by BucD

@DParrPFW: NFL went out of its way to shame Loomis and Payton for not putting a stop to "bounty" program. … Harsh discipline likely coming #Saints' way

New Orleans Saints owner Tom Benson released the following statement in regard to the accusations his team's defense had a bounty system:

"I have been made aware of the NFL's findings relative to the "Bounty Rule" and how it relates to our club. I have offered and the NFL has received our full cooperation in their investigation. While the findings may be troubling, we look forward to putting this behind us and winning more championships in the future for our fans."

Schefter on NFL Live: "In week of the NFCCG, Jonathan Vilma put $10K on a table & said 'this goes to the guy that knocks out Brett Favre.'"

I was just about to ask, actually....

Spygate has followed the Patriots and for many fans... Tainted their dynasty and numerous Super Bowl victories.

Does this new unveiling the Saints Bounties tarnish their Super Bowl victory over the Indianapolis Colts?!

I was just about to ask, actually....

Spygate has followed the Patriots and for many fans... Tainted their dynasty and numerous Super Bowl victories.

Does this new unveiling the Saints Bounties tarnish their Super Bowl victory over the Indianapolis Colts?!

I don't think this will be seen to be as much of a "cheat" as Spygate was, if that makes sense, but it will certainly give the Saints teams of this era a "dirty" reputation and absolutely cast a very dark cloud over their Super Bowl win.

Everyone is expecting them to get a worse punishment than the Patriots. What do you guys think happens to them? I believe they lose at least 2 1st round picks, Payton and Williams get fined $500,000 each and the organization gets another $250,000.

Furthermore...

How much of this will affect the St. Louis Rams, who just hired Gregg Williams as their new defensive coordinator?

Should Drew Brees be held at all responsible? It's been revealed that assistant coaches, Gregg Williams (DC), Sean Payton, the Saints GM, and Owner all knew about this bounty system.

Is there any possible way this information didn't leak to the offensive side of the ball?

If so... Why couldn't a player that demands respect and is highly regarded around the league like Drew Brees put a stop to it?

I don't think it tarnishes their championship like spygate has with the Pats. Every team has players that go after opponents to put them out of games. The Saints are just retards who actually made a system out of it. As a divisional opponent I hope this results in a loss of draft picks.

Everyone is expecting them to get a worse punishment than the Patriots. What do you guys think happens to them? I believe they lose at least 2 1st round picks, Payton and Williams get fined $500,000 each and the organization gets another $250,000.

Don't forget that Spygate was just on the coaching staff. Since players took part in this, I would expect individual fines/suspensions to get handed out as well.

This is gonna get ugly.

I dunno... Would a life long ban of Gregg Williams be out of the question? I certainly don't think a year-long ban would be considered "too harsh"

I dunno... Would a life long ban of Gregg Williams be out of the question? I certainly don't think a year-long ban would be considered "too harsh"

I think it would make sense to ban him. I don't think they will though because it'll hurt the Rams. They'll probably just fine everyone they found to be involved. I don't see suspensions happening because there are so many people.

I doubt Williams will get banned, but he will face a significant fine. We all knew Williams wanted his players to play dirty, but I don't think any of us expected this.

@evansilva: Schefter on NFL Live: "In week of the NFCCG, Jonathan Vilma put $10K on a table & said 'this goes to the guy that knocks out Brett Favre.'"

As hard as Goodell and the league are coming down on player safety etc. etc. how can they not come down very harshly on everyone involved in this?? They almost have to at this point...

I wouldn't be shocked at all if Gregg Williams gets a year long suspension...

Badgers choice of punishment:

Break the levees.

:troll:

Edited by badgers
  • Upvote 1

This is worse than stealing the Jets defensive signals in the first quarter of a Week 1 game. Significantly fucking worse.

Of course, there'll still be a ton of fucktards who think otherwise because Belichick is evil and Brees and the Saints can do no wrong since they helped a community cope with Katrina. :rolleyes:

Let us not forget about the beloved Dennis Allen of the Oakland Raiders...who was the Saints DB coach from 08 to 10...this could go alot further than the Saints thought it could..

• Upvote 1

Vikings Punter

Chris Kluwe ‏ @ChrisWarcraf I mean seriously, think about it. You're talking about paying someone to INTENTIONALLY injure someone else. They put people in JAIL for that

Per NationalFootballPost.com:

NFL says Gregg Williams ran bounty program with Saints

New Orleans could face strong sanctions + Brad Biggs

MARCH 02, 2012, 04:06 PM EST

The NFL announced today that the New Orleans Saints engaged in a bounty program under former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams that involved more than 20 defensive players.

The program, which was allegedly in place from 2009 to 2011, paid defensive players cash for big hits on opponents, according to USA Today. Most of the money was provided by players and then distributed by Williams. There was more than $50,000 in a pool during the 2009 plays and players were paid $1,500 for a knockout and an extra $1,000 if a cart was used to remove a player from the field. Money doubled or even tripled in the playoffs, and players were also paid for big plays.

The payments are in violation of the NFL’s collective bargaining agreement

"The payments here are particularly troubling because they involved not just payments for performance, but also for injuring opposing players," commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement. "It is our responsibility to protect player safety and the integrity of our game, and this type of conduct will not be tolerated."

The Saints could be in serious trouble because the NFL says the Saints failed to cease the program when general manager Mickey Loomis was ordered to do so. Speculation is the league could come down hard on the organization.

"I have been made aware of the NFL's findings relative to the "Bounty Rule" and how it relates to our club,” Saints owner Tom Benson said in a statement. “I have offered and the NFL has received our full cooperation in their investigation. While the findings may be troubling, we look forward to putting this behind us and winning more championships in the future for our fans."

This isn’t a surprise and rumors of this type of activity are more widespread than many would believe. It remains to be seen if Williams, now the defensive coordinator for the St. Louis Rams, could also face sanctions. Saints coach Sean Payton could also be entangled in the mess.

Per ProFootballWeekly.com:

Saints face discipline for violating 'bounty' rule

Posted March 02, 2012 @ 4:05 p.m. ET

By PFW staff

The New Orleans Saints are facing discipline from the NFL for violating the "bounty" rule, the league announced Friday.

An investigation by the NFL's security department revealed that between 22 and 27 defensive players on the Saints, as well as at least one assistant coach, ran a "bounty" program violating NFL rules during the 2009, ’10 and '11 seasons.

According to the NFL, the investigation "determined that this improper 'Pay for Performance' program included 'bounty' payments to players for inflicting injuries on opposing players that would result in them being removed from a game."

Players allegedly contributed to a cash pool and received cash payments from the pool based on their play in the previous week's game. There were payments made for plays including interceptions and fumble recoveries, but also for "cart-offs" (when an opposing player was carried off the field) and "knockouts" (when an opposing player was not able to return to the game).

The league said the pool of cash reached its peak during the 2009 playoffs, when the Saints made their run to the Super Bowl, and may have grown to $50,000 or more. The "bounty" program paid $1,500 for a "knockout" and $1,000 for a "cart-off" with payments doubling or tripling during the postseason.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell will determine the discipline for the violation, which could include fines, suspensions and forfeiture of draft choices.

"The payments here are particularly troubling because they involved not just payments for 'performance,' but also for injuring opposing players," Goodell said. "The bounty rule promotes two key elements of NFL football: player safety and competitive integrity."

The NFL reported that players were "willing and enthusiastic" participants in the "bounty" program and that amounts pledged were in some cases directed against a specific opposing player.

The "bounty" program was led by former Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, who left the Saints to become the Rams' D-coordinator after last season, but other defensive coaches aware of it, according to the NFL, and Williams contributed his own money to the fund on occasion.

Saints owner Tom Benson was fully cooperative with the investigation, according to the NFL, and evidence established that he was not aware of the program. Benson had informed the league that he directed Saints executive V.P./GM Mickey Loomis to ensure that any program be immediately discontinued, but the league found that Loomis did not carry out Benson's orders.

The league said that when it first discussed the allegations of a "bounty" program with Loomis in 2010, he denied knowledge of such a program and said he would make sure no program was in place. The NFL alleged that Loomis did not take "any effective action to stop these practices."

"I have been made aware of the NFL’s findings relative to the 'Bounty Rule' and how it relates to our club," Benson said in a statement released by the Saints on Friday. "I have offered and the NFL has received our full cooperation in their investigation. While the findings may be troubling, we look forward to putting this behind us and winning more championships in the future for our fans."

Saints head coach Sean Payton was not directly involved with the program, the NFL's report said, but he was aware of the allegations and "did not make any detailed inquiry or otherwise seek to learn the facts, and failed to stop the bounty program."

The league alleged that Payton never instructed his assistant coaches or players that the program could not continue.

Any appeal of the discipline the commissioner rules to be appropriate would be heard and decided by the commissioner, and Goodell has informed the Saints that he is reserving his authority to impose further discipline should more information on the subject be brought to his attention.

The way we see it

Whatever punishment that Goodell ultimately levies is expected to be very harsh.

He fined Patriots head coach Bill Belichick the NFL maximum $500,000 and the Patriots were ordered to pay $250,000 in 2007 for their involvement in "spygate." The Patriots also had to give up their first-round pick that year for what Goodell called "a calculated and deliberate attempt to avoid long-standing rules designed to encourage fair play and promote honest competition on the playing field."

Goodell doesn't take these matters lightly. While we can only speculate as to the punishment the Saints' alleged violation of a long-standing rule will draw, "spygate" set a precedent.

The Saints, and Williams, are facing severe consequences.

Vikings Punter

Chris Kluwe ‏ @ChrisWarcraf I mean seriously, think about it. You're talking about paying someone to INTENTIONALLY injure someone else. They put people in JAIL for that

Boxing, UFC. Sports follow a completely different set of rules. If 2 baseball players start punching each other no one is getting arrested.

Badgers choice of punishment:

Break the levees.

But then we'll have to hear for another 10 seasons how the Saints are helping the community recover.

Edited by Shotgun