Duck Fallas

Cowboys and Redskins band together

Wut.

Wow. Maybe he should be called Dictator Roger Goodell.

I couldn't find the old thread and I can't be arsed to adjust time and date settings in order to do so. But here's an update from the hearings today:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/10/burbank-takes-motion-to-dismiss-cowboys-redskins-grievance-under-advisement/

Translation of bold text: The commissioner can do whatever he wants, however he wants to do it.

Seriously. That was their actual argument. "We're right because we can do whatever we want." Kind of mind-blowing, isn't it?

I kind of thought that was how Goodell ran the league...

The players gave him that power in the CBA... Oh well. :shrug:

• Upvote 1

It looks like we're not going to win this and it's not surprising. Technically, common sense proves we're right and our grievance should prevail but unfortunately the commish has the power and he's not gonna allow himself to look like a fool.

It looks like we're not going to win this and it's not surprising. Technically, common sense proves we're right and our grievance should prevail but unfortunately the commish has the power and he's not gonna allow himself to look like a fool.

But the decision is not the commissioners to make, it is the had of the mediator/arbitrator. If he feels that we have the legal foundation, we can still prevail.

I couldn't find the old thread and I can't be arsed to adjust time and date settings in order to do so. But here's an update from the hearings today.

I got this. Part of my job is to merge threads.

Redskins, Cowboys salary-cap appeals dismissed

By Jeff Darlington

Reporter

Published: May 22, 2012 at 11:46 a.m. Updated: May 22, 2012 at 02:38 p.m.

Liked: 0 | Comments: 61

Email Print

Read Discuss

ATLANTA -- Special master Stephen Burbank has granted the NFL's motion to dismiss the grievance filed by the Dallas Cowboys and the Washington Redskins regarding the salary cap situation that occurred during the league's uncapped year, league counsel Jeff Pash said in Atlanta on Tuesday.

This means the league’s decision to impose a $36 million salary cap reduction over two years on the Redskins, as well as a $10 million cap reduction over two years for the Cowboys, will be upheld. Those reductions were the result of the way both teams structured player contracts when the NFL was working without a salary cap in 2010.

In a joint statement, the Redskins and Cowboys indicated they will not pursue any further legal action in court. The matter is effectively closed.

“We pursued our salary cap claim pursuant to the CBA and we respect and will abide by the arbitrator's decision to dismiss," the statement read. "We will continue to focus on our football teams and the 2012 season.”

During the same news conference, competition committee chairman Rich McKay said owners voted Tuesday to mandate thigh and knee pads for all players starting in 2013. While the proposal was passed by the owners, discussions with the NFLPA will now take place to get to the point where the rule is eventually imposed.

Case closed. I don't like it, but it is what it is.

Like I said, wasn't gonna happen. TGP%20nope.gif

Same with you, Chia. It's not right, but it is what it is.

Emperor Goodell wins again. I hope this guy get publicly shot in the face, or knee, hell I would settle for an ankle.

Not siding one way or the other because no matter how it shook out it would not have helped or hurt the Ravens.

One thing though for those arguing if they won it would only be a victory and there would be no repercussions, you sirs are nuts. Ask the Steeler's if the Emperor holds a grudge. This would have effectively removed them from number one to number three.

:D

Eat shit Cowboys and Skins...Especially the Cowboys haha

Guest Phailadelphia

I know you're a fan of this since it's happening to division rivals, but the kind of broad sweeping power should anger every NFL fan.

Anyway, this isn't over. The NFLPA is taking action after having learned more about what's going on.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7963260/nfl-players-association-files-suit-vs-nfl-alleges-collusion-2010

The contentious relationship between the NFL and the NFL Players Association continued Wednesday when the union filed a federal lawsuit alleging that the league and its owners conspired in collusion to establish a "secret $123 million salary cap" in 2010, which under the previous labor agreement was designated as an uncapped year of spending.

The NFLPA filed its collusion complaint in U.S. District Court in Minneapolis, claiming that it falls under the supervision and oversight of Judge David Doty, who presided over the 1993 settlement of the Reggie White litigation case.

That settlement led to an unprecedented stretch of labor peace that lasted through 2010, which was designated as an uncapped year in which teams would not be restricted in their spending on players' salaries.

Instead, the NFLPA claims that it learned on or about March 12 of this year that four teams -- the Washington Redskins, Dallas Cowboys, Oakland Raiders and New Orleans Saints -- did not abide by the NFL's secret rules that effectively advised teams to operate in 2010 under a $123 million salary cap.

The NFL in March penalized the Redskins and Cowboys in cap spending at $36 million and $10 million sums, respectively, during the next two years, a decision that was recently upheld by Special Master Stephen Burbank's ruling, citing the NFLPA's agreement to an arrangement that would redistribute the money to other teams for cap spending.

An NFLPA source said that the union was "strong-armed" into the agreement because the cap would have been set at a league-wide $113 million per team, instead of $120 million.

The union is seeking $1 billion in actual damages for players primarily in the 2010 free-agent class and $3 billion in damages as violation of the 1993 White agreement.

"When the rules are broken in a way that hurts the game, we have an obligation to act. We cannot standby when we now know that the owners conspired to collude," NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith said in a statement.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello scoffed at the union's lawsuit, saying the league expects it to be dismissed.

"The filing of these claims is prohibited by the Collective Bargaining Agreement and separately by an agreement signed by the players' attorneys last August. The claims have absolutely no merit and we fully expect them to be dismissed," Aiello said.

"On multiple occasions, the players and their representatives specifically dismissed all claims, known or unknown, whether pending or not, regarding alleged violations of the 2006 CBA and the related settlement agreement. We continue to look forward to focusing on the future of the game rather than grievances of a prior era that have already been resolved."

Get fucked, Roger.

Edited by Phailadelphia

You're not a very sensible person, then.

There's no way that any sensible, thinking person who's not an NFL owner can honestly feel that the league acted justly in penalizing the Cowboys and the Redskins for spending their money and structuring their contracts the way they did during the uncapped 2010 season. But it doesn't matter, because the NFL plays by its own rules and no one else's, and that's the lesson for today.
- Dan Graziano

The NFLPA is the one who gave Goodell the ultimate authority to begin with... :laugh:

Good luck.