Piggly Wiggly

MLB 2012 Regular Season thread

Looks like Arizona wont pull their head out of their ass before the playoff. At least we found out we have a pitching phenom and our hitting really isn't so bad :)

Clayton Kershaw swept the Giants with a complete game shutout..

The Brewers' bullpen are now responsible for 26 losses this season after a loss in extra innings to the Nationals. I only see the Brewers continuing to go downhill from here...

Screw the Cubs... We shouldn't have lost that series. :shifty:

A.J. Burnett pitched a 1 hit CG shutout against the Cubs tonight. Walked 2 and hit a batter. And I have him in fantasy!

Knew there was a reason I loved this acquisition in the offseason. :rock:

Edited by Sarge

The guy that got the one hit had 2 pitches on each corner of the plate. Umpire should have sent him packing on both of those pitches.

Yea, I agree. It sucks but it is what it is.

Lohse got beat up tonight like he hasn't in quite a while... No fear though, epic offense to the rescue! :rock:

Allen Craig went 3 for 3 with 2 walks and 3 RBIs. Thank God those absurd rumors about trading him turned out to be nothing.

The Brewers' bullpen are now responsible for 26 losses this season after a loss in extra innings to the Nationals. I only see the Brewers continuing to go downhill from here...

Plus 20 or something blown saves.. :ninja:

McCutchen named NL player of the month for July. 2nd month in a row. In July Cutch batted .446 w/ 41 hits, 7HR, 15RBI, a .510 OBP & .739 SLG. His hit total led the majors as he collected 12 multi-hit games.

Jayson Werth active tonight for the Nationals...against the Phillies, who are going for the sweep.

:devious:

So was the Cubs', dunno what was posted though.

In related Cubs news:

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/27548/julys-best-defenders-barney-tex-reddick

Who was the best defensive player of the month for July?

For the first time, our panel of voters didn’t have a consensus choice. The margin was narrow, but Cubs second baseman Darwin Barney edged out Yankees first baseman Mark Teixeira and Athletics right fielder Josh Reddick.

Because the voting was so close, it seemed only fair to salute all three in this space. Let’s take a closer look at their performances.

Darwin Barney, Cubs 2B

When Baseball Info Solutions made adjustments to its defensive metrics a few weeks ago, we thought that Barney would be among those to take a big hit.

But Barney’s numbers turned out to be legit all along. The Cubs second baseman ended the month as the game’s most valuable defender, with 27 Defensive Runs Saved for the season, eight coming in July.

Cubs manager Dale Sveum has prioritized defensive positioning, and that seems to have benefited Barney, who has a high rating on both balls hit to the right of where a second baseman makes most plays (10 plays better than average, and to the left (12 plays better than average).

The Cubs have given up a lot of hits this season, but it's not the fault of their middle infield. The average team allows a runner to reach on about 43 percent of balls hit over the second base bag, or a few degrees to the right or left. The Cubs have allowed only 39 percent.

Defensive Player of the Month

April Jerry Hairston Jr IF May Brendan Ryan SS June Andrelton Simmons SS July Darwin Barney 2B

But Barney passes the eye test, too. He had 16 of what the BIS video-trackers call "Good Fielding Plays" in July, and only five Defensive Misplays & Errors. He excelled in turning the double play, with four of his Good Plays related to that skill, one shy of the best by a second baseman this month (Dan Uggla’s five).

Barney’s 3-to-1 Good Play/Misplay ratio has held up all season and is more than twice the ratio that Barney posted as a rookie in 2011, when his Good Play/Misplay & Error rate was 47 to 42.

:rock:

0:43 to the end: Mother. Of. God.

B.J. Upton and Justin Upton both hit their 100th career home run tonight. Pretty cool.

The only things worth watching (from a lol Marlin perspective) is Jose Reyes' 22-game hitting streak and Josh Johnson other than that, no bueno.

I'll be rooting for any of the following teams in the NL: Pirates, Reds, Giants, and Dodgers. Just hope somehow one team in the East chokes the playoffs away (again) :devious:

0:43 to the end: Mother. Of. God.

Orioles are very lucky to have this guy..

reddick-spidey.giflawl.
Josh Reddick is quite awesome. :yep:Also, this thought just occurred to me while I was checking my fantasy team - the White Sox have 3 players you could call comeback player of the year. (Dunn, Peavy, and Rios.)

Doc, Worley may be shut down if Phils are out of it

PHILADELPHIA -- Manager Charlie Manuel hasn't ruled out the possibility of shutting down Roy Halladay later this season if the Phillies have fallen completely out of contention. After all, the ace right-hander, who has pitched at last 220 innings for the past six years, spent two months on the disabled list this season with a shoulder strain. And he'll turn 36 next May.On Saturday, Manuel was asked if he'd consider doing the same with catcher Carlos Ruiz, who is expected to miss four to six weeks with plantar fasciitis in his left foot, and right-hander Vance Worley, who is pitching with bone chips in his elbow that are expected to require surgery.

"If the doctors feel that way, that might be a reason," he said. "Roy does have something to say about it, because he's old enough and he's been through it. He definitely doesn't want to be shut down, because he thinks he'll get better by throwing. And I agree with that, too.

"As for Worley, there's a lot of guys who pitch that way and get cleaned up at the end of the season. I've had bone chips, and as long as they're moving, you're kind of OK. What you're talking about is definitely debatable. It's not like [the idea] is out of sight. Those are good arguments."

Edited by BayAreaBomber

Tribe are lolbad. 9 game losing streak and they now have a -90 run differential (worst in the AL). Ricky sad. :yep:

A.J. Burnett has been named the NL Player of the Week, after throwing two great starts last week. Burnett started with a complete game, one-hit shutout against the Chicago Cubs, striking out eight and walking two in the process. The right-hander carried a no-hitter in to the eight inning, before giving up a two-out single on a 3-2 pitch to Adrian Cardenas.

Burnett followed that up with another gem last night, giving up two runs in 8.2 innings, coming one out shy of his second straight complete game. He gave up one run each in the first and third innings, then cruised the rest of the way. After getting two outs to start the ninth, Burnett issued two straight walks, and was lifted with 102 pitches on the night.

This is the fourth time Burnett has won a weekly award, and the first time since April 17th, 2005.