Sign in to follow this  
SteVo

You're the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' GM...

13 members have voted

1. 1. You cannot trade down. Both of the following players are on the board. Who do you take?

• CB Morris Claiborne
    • RB Trent Richardson
    • Other

There's been some pretty good discussion regarding this topic in this thread, but mostly by Bucs fans, so I figured it'd be interesting to get the opinions of the masses.

Let's hear it! :rock:

Edited by SteVo

The Bucs have pick #5. Who's the 4th pick in this hypothetical scenario?

The Bucs have pick #5. Who's the 4th pick in this hypothetical scenario?

Yeah, typo in the original post on my end. For the sake of this poll let's say it's either Tannehill or Blackmon.

Like I said in the other thread, Claiborne has my vote. CB is a bigger need and Claiborne is the best defensive player in the draft. I think we can get a RB in the 2nd or 3rd round and be just fine. We have a great o-line with the addition of Nicks and moving Zuttah to Center, so I think it won't be too hard for RB's to succeed here.

Nobody in their right mind takes Trent Richardson. You could have Morris Claiborne and Doug Martin, or you could have Trent Richardson and a middle tier DB, like Alfonzo Dennard or something. Claiborne gives you the years, addresses the bigger weakness, and you get the better overall duo of players.

I'm not getting how cornerback is some dire need that absolutely must be adressed with a top 5 pick. The need for a corner comes with the assumption that Talib is toast and won't play this season. If Talib plays this year, the need for a corner isn't very big at all. I think RB is the bigger need. Schiano has constantly stated we'll be a run first team, yet we only have one RB on the roster (a borderline practice squad player at that). Then there is Blount who can make plays but hasn't shown the tools to be the focal point of a rushing attack. IMO, RB is the 2nd biggest need on the team behind LB. If Talib gets in big time trouble, then CB is up there, but with Talib playing I'd argue safety is a bigger need.

TR

We have one RB who has proven to be very one-dimensional and my head coach wants to have a heavy dosage of a physical power run game.

He immediately helps Josh Freemanand this team as a whole while how physical he is.

The drop off after Richardson at RB is much bigger than e drop off at CB after Claiborne.

I'd still take Claiborne. So what if Talib isn't suspended? Why not have the starting duo of Talib and Claiborne? Plus, we know Barber will retire after this season and Talib will be a free agent. That only leaves us with Eric Wright (lol) locked up for the future. So IMO CB is just as big of a concern.

We've seen how easily RBs can be plugged in and out of lineups. All over the league guys have come in and helped out tremendously that were drafted late in rounds. An elite corner is a much rarer commodity in this league than a good RB.

I'd go with Claiborn here. I mean, Richardson is gonna be an awesome back but with Rhonde only playing one more year and Aquib Talib always in trouble they need a CB bad.

I'd still take Claiborne. So what if Talib isn't suspended? Why not have the starting duo of Talib and Claiborne? Plus, we know Barber will retire after this season and Talib will be a free agent. That only leaves us with Eric Wright (lol) locked up for the future. So IMO CB is just as big of a concern.

We've seen how easily RBs can be plugged in and out of lineups. All over the league guys have come in and helped out tremendously that were drafted late in rounds. An elite corner is a much rarer commodity in this league than a good RB.

If Talib weren't suspended, I doubt Claiborne would start. He may even struggle to get snaps right away depending on the condition Barber is in.

There is a need for a corner, but it is more of a need for down the line and it isn't like such a desperate need that we MUST go out and get one right away. Plus, the more I look into Claiborne the less impressed I am. I don't think he is a very rare kind of talent, and he is starting to give me that incredibly underwhelming feeling I get from high Bucs first round picks lately.

:yeahthat: Pretty much sums up my thoughts. Even if Talib isn't suspended, I still think CB is a need. Like Kila said, Ronde only has 1 more year and Talib is a FA next year so we may not bring him back because of all his off the field issues.

If you don't think CB is much of a need, I don't get how you think another RB is. There is no doubt in my mind that we'd be fine with Blount and Wilson/Martin/Miller at RB.

Fact is, our defense is still trash. We haven't done anything to make it better besides add Eric Wright. Yea, the better coaching and having guys like McCoy healthy will help, but our back 7 looks pretty fucking awful to me and it needs to be addressed. I don't know if I can deal with watching the same defense that we put on the field last year.

The defense problem isn't totally a talent one. With better coaching, a healthy McCoy and a improving D-line, things will go up. Plus we no longer are in a position to play Biggers in a huge role, and we all know how many big plays he gave up last year. I think with an offseason to work with, Tanard will bounce back and hopefully Cody Grimm stays healthy. LB is where the defense needs some talent.

The need for a corner is a going forward need more so than an immeadiete need. Talib can't be trusted and Barber is about to retire any year now. We certainly need a corner, but it isn't a massive gaping hole that must be adressed at all costs. I'm willing to bet if we don't take Claiborne, we'll get one in the 2nd or 3rd round. Josh Robinson is a guy I'm high on in the 2nd.