Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Report: Steven Jackson wants a new contract

Per Rotoworld.com:

NFL Network's Mike Lombardi stated on Monday's B.S. Report with Bill Simmons that Steven Jackson wants a new contract.

S-Jax has base salaries of $7 million in 2012 and 2013. "The problem with Steven Jackson is he wants to redo his contract," Lombardi said. "He's not happy where he is. ... I would suspect that the Rams would (draft) the running back as quickly as they could." He was referring to Trent Richardson. Lombardi indicates that the Vikings are trying to bait the Rams to trade up to No. 3 to get Richardson. S-Jax, meanwhile, looks like a candidate to be traded on draft weekend. Apr 23 - 3:36 PM

It's sad that they hold him during their worst seasons, and then are ready to dump him so quickly when he wants a new deal and they start to turn the corner.

Steven Jackson derves a new contract. He works his fuckin ass of each season, being one of the top 10 running backs in the NFL in terms of carries basicly every year.

If they don't give a HUGE new contract, Rams fans should have te right to egg in the face the owner of the Rams, as well as Jeff Fisher because egging two people is better then one. :troll::lol::yep:

I agree that he probably deserves a little more security. But does he deserve more money? Not really. He's still a good and dynamic back who can and will do anything. But he isn't 26 anymore.

It's sad that they hold him during their worst seasons, and then are ready to dump him so quickly when he wants a new deal and they start to turn the corner.

What corner have they turned, exactly? They were laughably bad last year. That's why they were picking second. I mean, they were horrible. I don't know that they'll be that bad this season, but they won't be that good. Jackson should get the hell out of that cesspool of an NFL city. He could really help a different, contending team.

What corner have they turned, exactly? They were laughably bad last year. That's why they were picking second. I mean, they were horrible. I don't know that they'll be that bad this season, but they won't be that good. Jackson should get the hell out of that cesspool of an NFL city. He could really help a different, contending team.

Turning the corner as in ready to take a RB very high in the NFL Draft (if the rumors are true).

Turning the corner as in ready to take a RB very high in the NFL Draft (if the rumors are true).

Oh okay. I see what you mean. I think it would be pretty stupid to just dump him though, if the rumors are in fact true. Who knows if they are, what, with all the smokescreens that are going on right now. It seems more smokey than usual, but I'm getting :offtopic:

Back to the point, Wouldn't it make more sense to keep the capable Jackson on for a year or two while they groom Richardson? At least that's what I would do.

It's just a negotiating ploy letting him know that he is replaceable. I really don't think they'll get Richardson or select him with all of the other holes, despite the fact that with two first rounders the next two years, getting an elite runningback in the draft will be a walk in the park when Jackson breaks.

He doesn't deserve a new deal IMO. He is making seven million a year for a couple more years and he is starting to get a ton of mileage on those legs.

To be honest out of all contract negotiations I have seen so far he makes the best case. I mean honestly in the last 5 years he has been the ENTIRE offense. He should be treated with a little more respect by the franchise, this is why so many people want lucrative contracts when they have not produced on his level.

He doesn't deserve a new deal IMO. He is making seven million a year for a couple more years and he is starting to get a ton of mileage on those legs.

There's a difference between "deserve" and "worth." He deserves to be treated much better than he has been and is being treated. The guy is has been a straight up animal for years. He's been the best player on the team for years. He's basically been this generation's Eddie George, and it's cost him a chance to win, his health, and apparently the chance to make "pro bowl-money."

I know S-Jax is a beast, but I'd be very careful in this day and age asking for a raise if I'm a 28 year old RB. Running backs are just so expendable it seems...it's like the position is a plug and play device for a computer (bad joke, at my IT job though) :D