SIXTH ROUND:

Keith Tandy

SEVENTH ROUND:

Michael Smith

Drake Dunsmore

:wub:

Edited by BucD

John Lynch On Mark Barron:

"I think he's a flat-out stud," Lynch said. "He doesn't have any holes. He does everything well. This is a big-time game-changing football player. My own opinion (I know he's hot), is that if he slips and you see an opportunity to go get him, do. This is guy is a starter and top-line right now. He will definitely impact a team. What do I like so much? Everything. He sees things well. He recognizes and reacts quickly. He has very good athletic ability. He tackles well in space. He demonstrates great ball skills. In addition, he's nasty. He finishes, and he finishes violently."

SOURCE

Mike Mayock:

That being said, Mayock's winners after Thursday night's first round are as follows (in no particular order): the Jacksonville Jaguars, New England Patriots, Minnesota Vikings and Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The common theme among all these teams is that none of them stood pat. All were involved in draft-day trades.

The Bucs moved into the Jaguars' No. 7 slot and selected Alabama safety Mark Barron.

Darlington: Trades rule Round 1

Trades were the story of the first round. Jeff Darlington explains why more deals in future drafts should be expected. More ...

"Boy, is this a solid pick," Mayock said. "I love this kid because his floor and ceiling are the same thing. His ceiling is to be a Pro Bowl safety; his floor is to be a Pro Bowl safety. That's how good this young man is."

The Buccaneers weren't done dealing, though, trading with the Denver Broncos to move back into the first round and select Boise State running back Doug Martin. It isn't Trent Richardson, but it turns out LeGarrette Blount will have competition anyway, coming from a guy with whom Mayock is impressed.

"This makes a ton of sense," Mayock said. "He's a three-down back. When I put the tape on, for 229 pounds, he's got a surprising burst. He's patient, too, behind the offensive line. I really like him."

Source

Edited by BucD

Satisfied with the results. Definitely surprised me but I'm not disappointed. The move to get Martin was really good, IMO.

:rock: Coming into the draft, I wanted to trade down and get either Kuechly or Barron and Doug Martin was exactly the guy I wanted in the 2nd round. We may have taken Barron a few slots high, but we hit the bank by trading up for Martin because the Giants wanted him bad and we traded right in front of them.

ArgeEu-CMAIDZy-.jpg

Anthony Gaitor and Larry Asante have to be thinking WTF lol.

ArgeEu-CMAIDZy-.jpg

Anthony Gaitor and Larry Asante have to be thinking WTF lol.

One or both might not even make the team. Lol

@gregcosell:

Barron played a lot of man coverage at Alabama. Don't know where idea he's just box safety came from. Multi-dimensional ...

Dirty...

Edited by BucD

I was really hoping for Doug Martin, and if we didn't get Kuechly I wanted Lavonte David. Extremely happy with those picks. Don't care much for Barron at #7 but I'm sure he'll grow on me once I get over us not getting Claiborne.

Najee Goode, LB, WVU. From what I've read, he is a two down linebacker, struggles in coverage, but is a good run stopper. Probably just LB depth. I trust Schiano here because Goode played in the Big East so Schiano has definitely seen a good amount of him. Hopefully we take a CB next round.

Keith Tandy is a decent pick. I think he'll be a good ST player next year. Could end up in the Nickel his 2nd year if he works out. A lot of people are saying he could play safety as well as he's pretty good in zone coverage but poor in man-to-man.

So we end up with...

1.Mark Barron, S, Alabama

1.Doug Martin, RB, Boise State

2.Lavonte David, LB, Nebraska

5.Najee Goode, LB, West Virginia

6.Keith Tandy, CB, West Virginia

7.Michael Smith, RB, Utah State

7.Drake Dunsmore, TE/FB, Northwestern

Barron, Martin and David are very nice pickups who should step in right away and play big roles at positions that need it. The other picks are all "gravy guys" at this point. Goode seems like a physical run stuffer, he could find a way on to the field if he impresses, but he provides depth at a position that needs it.

Michael Smith intrigues the hell out of me. He ran a 4.3 at his pro day, guy is raw speed. He averaged 7 ypc as Robert Turbin's change of pace back. He'll have to fight off Mossis Madu and Robert Hughes to make the team, so showing value as a return man would go a long ways for him. Dunsmore may project as a FB and could take Lorig's job if he shows to be a better lead blocker.

I'm very pleased with what we did. We went out and attacked three of our four biggest needs right away and got some more interesting later rounders. Only time will tell how good this was, but I'm pleased. It is nice actually being pleased with our drafts. I used to anually be displeased under Gruden/Allen.

The way Dominik and Schiano were talking about Michael Smith and the things they said...sounds like he already made the team. lol

He does have a leg up on the other RBs not named Martin and Blount because of his uniqueness....SPPPPEEEEEEEEDDD!

The way Dominik and Schiano were talking about Michael Smith and the things they said...sounds like he already made the team. lol

He does have a leg up on the other RBs not named Martin and Blount because of his uniqueness....SPPPPEEEEEEEEDDD!

Dude was underrated throughout the whole draft process because he was sitting behind Turbin. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if Smith has a better career.

To be completly honest, Smith is the only one of our day three picks that really excite/intrigue me. Goode/Tandy seem like physical football players who can help on special teams, but I don't see special things. Maybe Goode can make an impact by subbing in to help the run defense occasionally. I've heard him compared to Jeremiah Trotter though, so who knows.

I thinj an awesome scenario for us can be one like the Saints have in their backfield. They have multiple guys coming in and playing well. Mark Ingram, Pierre Thomas and that other guy I can't remember but always seems to light us up. Hopefully we can throw a lot of Martin and Blount out there with some hints of Smith as a gamebreaker scat back. Schiano wants to the offense to focus on running the ball. I certainly feel better about that with Doug Martin and Michael Smith on the roster instead of just Blount and Madu.

Yea, Smith does seem like a nice find in the 7th round. We need a speed back like him on the roster. I hope he makes the team.

Dominik Fielded Trade Offer For Michael Smith

April 29th, 2012

One of the more intriguing nuggets to come from rockstar general manager Mark Dominik's post-draft news conference Saturday was a trade offer Dominik received for backup Utah State running back/speedster Michael Smith, who was drafted by the Bucs in the seventh round.

Dominik said after he snagged Smith another team offered the Bucs a sixth-round pick in 2013 in exchange for Smith. Dominik passed on the deal and said it was the first time in his career he had experienced that kind of offer for a player right after he was drafted.

Joe hopes Smith can flourish with the Bucs, but Joe's got to wonder whether Dominik should have taken that deal to give the Bucs more trade-up ammunition in next year's draft.

Very interesting. I don't think I have ever seen something like this happen.

Edited by GoodellFTL

Why should we trade a guy we liked this year for trade up ammo next year? We don't even know where we'll be picking or what we'll be looking for lol.

Why should we trade a guy we liked this year for trade up ammo next year? We don't even know where we'll be picking or what we'll be looking for lol.

Agreed. I just found it interesting that someone offered a higher pick next year. We obviously weren't the only one's who liked this kid.

Unofficial UDFA signings for the Bucs from http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2012-nfl-undrafted-free-agents/2 :

Leonard Johnson, CB, Iowa State

Zach Collaros, QB, Cincinnati

Dan Persa, QB, Northwestern (WORKOUT)

Sean Baker, SAF, Ball State

Morkeith Brown, DE, Temple

Tyler Shoemaker, WR, Boise State

Mike VanDerMeulen, OL, Toledo

Brandon Herron, LB, Michigan

Chaz Hine, OG, South Florida

Tramaine Thomas, S, Arkansas

Adonis Thomas, RB, Toledo (TRYOUT)

This is a better overall list...

QB Dan Persa, Northwestern

QB Zach Collaros, Cincinnati

RB Jermaine Robertson, Arkansas State

RB Cody Johnson, Texas

WR Luther Ambrose, ULM

WR Tyler Shoemaker, Boise State

OL Desmond Wynn, Rutgers

OL Jermarcus "Yoshi" Hardrick, Nebraska

OL Chaz Hine, USF

OL Mike VanDerMeulen, Toledo

DE Morkeith Brown, Temple

LB Brandon Herron, Michigan

DB Leonard Johnson, Iowa State

DB Quenton Johnson, South Florida

DB Tremain Thomas, Arkansas

DB Chika Madu, Nicholls State University

DB Sean Baker, Ball State

LS Chris Pousson, USC

Supposedly Jordan Jefferson will be on a tryout too.