Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Jim Brown criticizes Trent Richardson, Mike Holmgren

Posted by Evan Silva on May 24, 2012, 7:10 PM EDT

Cleveland Browns Hall of Fame running back Jim Brown wasn’t thrilled with the team’s selection of Trent Richardson in last month’s first round, and he made those feelings clear on the draft’s first day.

Though Brown has upset the fanbase in front of which he once thrived, he’s not backing down from his evaluation of Richardson as an “ordinary” talent.

“I think the kid is a good working back, and if you’ve got everything else around him he can play his role,” Brown told ESPN Cleveland. “But when it comes to outstanding, I don’t see anything outstanding about him. It’s not said in a cruel manner. He’s very efficient, and that’s what you want.”

Pressed further on his evaluations by ESPN Cleveland’s Tony Grossi, Brown even questioned club president Mike Holmgren’s commitment to the team.

“What have I said about the Browns other than the fact that Richardson is an ordinary back?” Brown asked, rhetorically. “There’s so much I could say. So you tell all those people that want to look at me, look at what you’ve got. You’re sitting on a mess. You’ve got a guy that doesn’t give interviews except in other cities. I ask all the people in Cleveland, do you get the impression that Mr. Holmgren wants to be there? If you do, then tell me.”

In the interview with Grossi, Brown went on to say Richardson lacks “special” running back traits while reiterating that Richardson’s “speed and quickness” is “ordinary.”

“He’ll work hard for you, and he’s kind of an all-around back,” Brown said. “But if you look at Cleveland, I would have gotten me a couple of receivers.”

Source: ProFootballTalk

Anyone else getting tired of Jim Brown? I respect the hell out of him as a player--one of the greatest running backs ever--but my goodness, just shut up. I hope Richardson wins OROY now.

Shut up, old man. Everyone respects what the great players of the past did for the game, and now he needs to show some respect to the present and future of the game.

While I agree with Brown that the Browns do need to upgrade at WR and should have gotten one with one of their top 3 picks, Richardson was a no brainier for them with their first pick. This guy is a beast RB and can do it all. I'm not sure how Brown doesn't see that this guy is going to be a special running back.

Echoing the sentiments of previous posts I am not sure what the deal is with all of these players from the past trying to get in on some color commentary of the game and its players today.

Namath is by far the most annoying for a guy that was nothing super special ON the field he sure has a lot to say about his former franchise. If it was not for the guarantee of the Superbowl against a favored opponent he would just be another QB in the annals of NFL history.

As to Jim Brown I can almost see his point about extraordinary by single traits. I mean he will not be the most powerful back. He is not the fastest. He wont be the greatest receiver, He wont be the best blocker. Now all that being said what makes him special is his combination of all those, he blends top tier skills in all of those areas while not being the best at all of them he is the great at all of them.

I actually agree with Brown :shrug: Browns needed WRs badly, they couldve taken 2 of them in round 1 and then got a RB in round 2. Weedeen still has no one to throw the ball too.

He didn't need to be totally disrespectful to Trent Richardson. His attitude of no RB ever being good enough is getting old fast. You don't hear Jerry Rice coming out and saying every WR sucks because they aren't him, do you?

• Upvote 2

He didn't need to be totally disrespectful to Trent Richardson. His attitude of no RB ever being good enough is getting old fast. You don't hear Jerry Rice coming out and saying every WR sucks because they aren't him, do you?

I absolutely agree with this. There was no need to put the kid down before you even see him on an NFL field.

At the same time, it might turn out that he's right. Running behind an Alabama offensive line should be pretty damn easy for most college worthy backs. I hope Richardson's a beast, just like I hope Mark Ingram breaks out this year. Neither have shown to have character issues, and Ingram's Heisman Acceptance was one of the most touching things I've ever seen.

Edited by BwareDWare94