FartWaffles

Is Ryan Mathews poised for a breakout year?

Per Rotoworld:

Chargers coach Norv Turner told the Union-Tribune San Diego that he believes Ryan Mathews is capable of leading the NFL in rushing.

"I personally think he's ready to take that next step," Turner said. "That means, to me, the production goes way up, and he’s more of the guy that is on the field most of the time." It's in Turner's nature to utilize a true workhorse back (see Emmitt Smith, LaDainian Tomlinson, Frank Gore, Ricky Williams, Stephen Davis), and the Chargers' offseason actions strongly suggest they believe Mathews is ready for a massive workload. "He’s well on his way, from what he’s doing offseason-wise, to have a great year," observed RBs coach Ollie Wilson. "He’s in the best shape I’ve seen since he’s been here."

Source: Union-Tribune San Diego

With Mike Tolbert out of the picture, Mathews could really have a breakout year. I don't think it'd be too crazy to say he could possibly rush for about 1,300 yards and 10+ touchdowns as the workhorse back.

What do you guys think?

If he can stay healthy sure. He is an all around back that can catch and run. Plus with the lose of VJ, I could see them wanting to run more.

gotta get rid of that fumble-itis yo...

They have been having him carry a football around tucked under his arm. He is lifting weights with it too lol

Not sure why this wouldn't embed...

I liked him coming out. He needs to stay healthy first.

I dont know their have beens things that will help hin on the offense and things that could hurt him.

Tolbert being gone could really put some lead in his pencil as far as the TD vulture and carries go.

However do we thing Malcolm Floyd can put up VJ -like numbers and then whoever their number two receiver is (Meachem or Brown) can replicate the production of Malcolm Floyd as the number two receiver. If so then yeah he can.. If not he may be looking at more stacked boxes.

I would say it is definitely plausible though.

Not sure why this wouldn't embed...

ytube every after the v= /ytube with brackets [ ]

Edited by BayAreaBomber

ytube every after the v= /ytube with brackets [ ]

Thanks!

But I did... I put [ ytube ] url [ /ytube ] and it just showed up blank :shrug:

Edited by Socal

I don't see it, to be honest. He's got all the skills, but something isn't adding up and I'm not sure what. I don't fear him when he's on the field. I'll tell you that much.

Mathews had a really solid year in 2011. He averaged almost 5 ypc and caught like 50 balls. That's where I really worry about him most is catching the ball out of the backfield. With Tolbert gone, he'll probably get over 300 touches this season, and that should get him over 1,200 yards rushing with still around 50 catches.

I don't know if he'll ever be "that guy" who just worries me when he gets the ball, or become a home run hitter, but if he can stay on the field he can be very productive.

I don't know about leading the league in rushing. He never struck me as someone who can take it to that next level. He has decent size and speed, but the things that set the monster runningbacks from the decent ones is the ability to be deceptive with his cuts and changes in direction and then have that secondary burst that gets him past multiple defenders out in space. Guys like Lesean McCoy, Arian Foster, Matt Forte, Adrian Peterson, and Ray Rice can all do that. I do agree that he'll be a carry whore this year with the lack of other skill position players, but he still needs that transformation that we usually see in runningbacks in their 2nd or 3rd year in the league. He will rack up lots of yards just by getting lots of touches per game, but he'll have to make himself able to beat entire defenses all just by his moves alone. Maybe they could resign LT and have him add a few tricks to have up his sleeve that will make him able to get out to the sideline and flatout beat entire defenses on any given play :shrug: