Milla4Prez63

The Superhero Thread

Marvel has already won the race though. Will continue to do so for years to come. Everyone already hates the new Doomsday, Wonder Woman is an anorexic model, and FUCKING ERZA MILLER AS THE FLASH.... And also critics do matter. Butta obviously didn't learn his lesson from fantastic flop. The only thing DC can really say is that they are gonna beat X-Men. Yay for them. :yao:

Anyway, everyone is gonna lose eventually because Monster movies are going to make a huge comeback with Godzilla 2. I mean ffs Cloverfield Lane didn't even market until 3 months ago and already did well. Once Infinity War is over, the superhero hype is DEAD.

Edited by Sparty

@Ferve

I see it was me misunderstanding what you meant about the the scores changing after it is released nationally. I misunderstood your point, that's on me.

Fan perception is important of course, but in terms of RT fan score its not a great gauge of fan perception because of the small numbers relative to how large the community is. When I say it doesn't matter I'm speaking in large majority terms. The masses won't go looking for the audience score.

-----------------------

Update: Just when I thought Ferve was the worst, I was reminded there is Sparty. The other king fanboy

Edited by butta54

I don't even really care about BvS. I knew it would be far worse than it has the potential to be because of Zack Snyder. Man Of Steel showed us exactly how shitty Snyder was at directing superhero movies, not surprised to see more of the same.

Tell me when Ben Affleck directed Batman movies start coming out. I'll be excited then, because someone who actually knows what they're doing in the director's chair will have control of the movie, and if DC has any semblance of a brain they'll let Affleck direct the Justice League movies too, or at the very least find someone who isn't Zack Snyder, but pretty sure he's already the planned director.

Such a shame.

• Upvote 1

@Ferve

I see it was me misunderstanding what you meant about the the scores changing after it is released nationally. I misunderstood your point, that's on me.

Fan perception is important of course, but in terms of RT fan score its not a great gauge of fan perception because of the small numbers relative to how large the community is. When I say it doesn't matter I'm speaking in large majority terms. The masses won't go looking for the audience score.

Understandable and fair. To your point, you are right that most people don't really pay attention to the fan ratings on RT. I mean, I look at them, but the weight it carries isn't as great as the critic reviews / tomato meter.

I agree with Alex. I just don't get Warner Bros' obsession with Zack Snyder. The only thing he's shown he can do is make over the top action scenes like Michael Bay. I hope to god these DC movies he's in charge of aren't as bad as the Transformers films. But like Transformers, if these movies make buck at the box office then Warner Bros. won't give two shits if people shit on the quality.

I actually need to remind myself that they're actually setting themselves up pretty well after Infinity War. Yeah, Marvel wins and always will.

I'm not the biggest fan of Zack Snyder. I wouldn't put him on the level of Michael Bay, but yes his strength is in the visual action. I'm not a fan of any director taking the creative direction for a cinematic universe. I would much rather DC left that to a producer or executive.

Zack makes divisive movies. He rarely has movies that are liked by the majority. The earliest review said that if you like Man of Steel you will like this. So Air having no interest in this makes sense if he didn't like MoS.

However, until you see the movie you just don't have a real opinion. You can't say you know it will be this or that until you actually see it.

I'm not comparing Snyder's quality to Bay's, just that both directors are more known for bringing awesome visuals but not as strong with plot, character development, etc.

I haven't paid any attention to the criticism or praise (if there is any) that people have been giving the movie but no fucks is given, either. People bash(ed) MoS and I've seen that movie at least four times excluding the time I saw it in theaters, and love it. But I've never even heard of Rotten tomatoes before this, so, it is what it is.

All I know is that tomorrow at 7:00 PM, I plan on enjoying the fuck out of watching the movie. If I hate it, or not a fan of it afterwards, I'll be the first to admit it and hold the L, I may be a DC fanboy, but I have no allegiance to Snyder, he's not paying my tuition (though I wish he was).

• Upvote 1

I haven't paid any attention to the criticism or praise (if there is any) that people have been giving the movie but no fucks is given, either. People bash(ed) MoS and I've seen that movie at least four times excluding the time I saw it in theaters, and love it. But I've never even heard of Rotten tomatoes before this, so, it is what it is.

All I know is that tomorrow at 7:00 PM, I plan on enjoying the fuck out of watching the movie. If I hate it, or not a fan of it afterwards, I'll be the first to admit it and hold the L, I may be a DC fanboy, but I have no allegiance to Snyder, he's not paying my tuition (though I wish he was).

Amen.

There is lots of praise out there fyi. It's basically 50/50 like Man of Steel was. As I said on my expectation video. Half the excitement is the fact we waited 3 years for it....we waited longer to see these two together...so going to enjoy the fact we get to see it.

Expectations: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RzAVhtRNTg :shifty:

• Upvote 1

How did people actually like Man of Steel? That movie got so bad after they left Krypton.

MoS to me had Incredible action, Incredible villain, Incredible visuals, Relate-able, and I loved the approach to the evolution of Superman, and just the overall approach to handling Superman. It's fresh.

Matter of fact, I'm gonna go back and watch MoS when I get off work now. :yep:

I've talked about Man of Steel so many times. And will be watching it tomorrow before BvS.

But as Dmac said it's the evolution of Superman and a different more modern take on him. That is the issue I think people had.

I've always had the question about Superman (who I love) why is he so good and why is he so just? You aren't just born that way. This movie dove into that...the bullying as a kid...the holding back the powers.....losing his dad in order to hide who he was....and then being forced to become a hero in the span of a week. People lose sight of that when they complain about the damage he caused and blah blah...the dude JUST became Superman. It was a maturation process.

Mike Shannon as Zod was great IMO. And all the world building of making Krypton a place where there was no free-will. Everyone was pre-determined like Ants. Clark was the first Kryptonian with the freedom of choice and that embodiment makes up who he becomes as Superman. And even in BvS he isn't there yet....he is still learning and growing.

I had seen very little stuff (that was positive) earlier this week about BvS which had me stoked! But now I'm hearing/reading some pretty bad shit. I was honesty holding out hope as I fucking love Batman and Superman. I do read and check what people say, but I don't let what critics say/write, or anyone else for that matter, dictate whether I like a movie/see a movie or not. I'm still looking forward to watching it and if I like, I like it. If it blows...well...that'll really suck to say the least...

Also, count me in on those REALLY looking forward to the Affleck directed Batman flicks. I was really happy when that was announced.

I honesty do not get the DC-Marvel rivalry amongst a good chunk of the superhero fan base. Count me among the, "I just want good superhero movies!" crowd. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Upvote 2

well that was the best Agents of Shield episode in a while, they got back to the spy stuff they do so well and it got me really excited for Marvel's Most Wanted

Why did DC wait so long to try to copy Marvel?

Also one needs to ask: Is ANYONE going to go see a Erza Miller Flash movie? That movie is going to bomb more than the Fantastic Four.

Edited by Sparty
  • Downvote 1

Speaking of Flash, I read an interesting article the other day where Snyder discussed the decision to ax the idea of Grant Gustin being part of the Justice League.

"I just don't think it was a good fit," Snyder told the New York Daily News. "I'm very strict with this universe and I just don't see a version where [Gustin's The Flash would work]... that [tone is] not our world."

http://www.tvguide.com/news/zack-snyder-why-grant-gustin-isnt-the-flash-in-batman-v-superman/

For the record, I don't think he is necessarily wrong. Man of Steel and now Batman V Superman has shown us that they want a very dark... super serious franchise. Grant's Flash doesn't really work in that world, IMO.

Some of these reviews are savage.

Snyder sets his story within our modern world and attempts to fashion a kind of commentary on the media and the current geopolitical situation. What he has crafted instead is a grotesque expression of modern emptiness.

The heavyweight title bout between Batman and Superman is a smash to the senses, the same way being tossed around in a rollover car accident would jolt one's system.

Not as bad as Bush v. Gore, but close.

:rog::rog: :rog:

Edited by SteVo
  • Upvote 1

HOLY SHIT IT'S AT 33% :rofl:

32%.

To Butta's point previously. 72% of fans "like" the movie. Take it for what it is worth.

Yeah the Grant Gustin comments are interesting for a lot of reasons.

But if you believe some of the reviews there are some funny comic-booky moments in BvS.

As we touched on in our latest video, the screenwriter said BvS is the 2nd movie in a series....like Empire Strikes Back or Two Towers....meaning the tone is always going to be darker, but Justice League will be a lot lighter in tone.

-------

Speaking of dark and gritty....I'm finally half way through the first episode of Daredevil S2 :smug:

Edited by butta54

I am not really sure how I like that idea. I didn't see the comments or the video you guys did that you are referencing but you go from Man of Steel which was pretty serious / dark.. to BvS which appears even darker.. and then with Justice League they claim it will be a lot lighter? ehhh.. I don't know. It will probably help, but seems conflicting in nature.

I again think DC should just cancel all their projects and start over. Reboot their franchise with a younger Batman and start introducing the characters of your universe one by one and pick people who love comics and the source material to make these films. I may come off as a Marvel Studios fanboy, but ultimately they get what it takes to make these characters transition to the big screen. Even FOX with Deadpool found success on the same principle by handing over the reigns to people who loved the character. I just don't think Zack Snyder is the right man for the job. I'll wait to see Batman v Superman tonight to give me judgement, but if the early reviews are any indicator it's not a good start for the DC film universe and I can't imagine Justice League being a whole lot better when once again Warner Bros.' golden boy Snyder is in charge.

Respectuflly & Fully disagree with you Milla.

Just from a business point cancelling all the projects would be ridiculous.

Even from a practical stand point....I've said it for 3 years now....this movie does not to be the best movie walking. It simply needs to make good money (which it will) and be GOOD in the eyes of the FANS

Going one by one isn't necessary or smart for the characters of the DCU. That worked for Marvel who had no real knowledge bases among casual movie goers. DCU doesn't have that problem as much. People forget the stand alone Marvel movies aren't that good. Outside of Iron Man and Captain America 2 they were really blah. They just have to be decent to continue the story. BvS is the same....just needs to be decent enough to set the world up.

I agree Snyder should have never been the guy. Said it over and over. Directing the movie is fine...planning the DCU is another thing and he was not the guy for it. WB needs to hire a exec or producer for that big picture stuff. On the same note, Snyder is one of the BIGGEST comic nerds and a very strong purist....that doesn't always equal a good movie, not every director is a fan...some great movies come from great directors who just bring their flavor to the movie.