Milla4Prez63

The Superhero Thread

If they were doing a lengthy Punisher origin story why would they do it in a season of Daredevil? I do think we'll get a lot of his backstory, but I suspect it's gonna be framed through Daredevil trying to figure out who the hell this new guy is, which I think has a lot of potential.

I also wanted to share this interesting facebook post from James Gunn regarding Deadpool because I thought it was interesting, especially given the source:

"The film has a self-deprecating tone that’s riotous. It’s never been done before. It’s poking fun at Marvel. That label takes itself so seriously, can you imagine them making fun of themselves in a movie? They’d rather stab themselves."

That's a quote from Deadline Hollywood, attributing it to a Hollywood "suit." I love Deadline and get a lot of my film business news from them. And I love Deadpool even more - the film is hilariously funny, has lots of heart, and is exactly what we need right now, taking true risks in spectacle film - but COME THE FUCK ON. That's no reason to rewrite history. This quote has to have been said by the dumbest fucking Hollywood exec in the history of dumb fucking Hollywood execs.
Let's ignore Guardians for a moment, a movie that survives from moment to moment building itself up and cutting itself down - God knows I'm biased about that one. But what do you think Favreau and Downey did in Iron Man? What the fuck was Ant-Man??!
Come on, Deadline.
After every movie smashes records people here in Hollywood love to throw out the definitive reasons why the movie was a hit. I saw it happen with Guardians. It "wasn't afraid to be fun" or it "was colorful and funny" etc etc etc. And next thing I know I hear of a hundred film projects being set up "like Guardians," and I start seeing dozens of trailers exactly like the Guardians trailer with a big pop song and a bunch of quips. Ugh.
Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.
Deadpool wasn't that. Deadpool was its own thing. THAT'S what people are reacting to. It's original, it's damn good, it was made with love by the filmmakers, and it wasn't afraid to take risks.
For the theatrical experience to survive, spectacle films need to expand their definition of what they can be. They need to be unique and true voices of the filmmakers behind them. They can't just be copying what came before them.
So, over the next few months, if you pay attention to the trades, you'll see Hollywood misunderstanding the lesson they should be learning with Deadpool. They'll be green lighting films "like Deadpool" - but, by that, they won't mean "good and original" but "a raunchy superhero film" or "it breaks the fourth wall." They'll treat you like you're stupid, which is the one thing Deadpool didn't do.
But hopefully in the midst of all this there will be a studio or two that will take the right lesson from this - like Fox did with Guardians by green-lighting Deadpool - and say - "Boy, maybe we can give them something they don't already have."
And that's who is going to succeed.
Have a great day.

Edited by oochymp

I always knew Deadpool would be a hit with audiences if FOX took it seriously.

some fantastic fan art inspired by the Deadpool post-credit scene:

KeiraCable.jpg?resize=700%2C800&type=ver

maybe Keira Knightley wouldn't be such a bad choice for Cable :laugh:

thank you internet, sometimes you're a beautiful place

I am in the Stephen Lang for Cable train.

• Upvote 1

I always knew Deadpool would be a hit with audiences if FOX took it seriously.

What helped is that Tom Rothman left FOX out of fear that the movie was gonna tank, and that Ryan Reynolds really wanted to do this film.

I am in the Stephen Lang for Cable train.

If he can kick ass in a wheelchair, can't wait to see what he can do standing up. :smug:

• Upvote 1

If he can kick ass in a wheelchair, can't wait to see what he can do standing up. :smug:

Thank God we are getting a season 2.

And honestly, he seems like the fans choice. Deadpool itself is a labor of the love by fans, for fans. As Milla mentioned, Fox was so afraid to put this movie out there. Now that it has seen the light of day and been successful, they shouldn't forget about the fans.

Lang is an awesome actor, and is a dead ringer for Cable. I think casting anyone else in the part would be a disservice. With that said, we have a lot of time left, so I will remain patient.

https://twitter.com/IAmStephenLang/status/698687069372203008

We are only 9 days away from a second Daredevil trailer... Still can't get the first one out of my mind. It's just pure genius.

Edited by Wolverines Need to Die
  • Upvote 1

Stay in the gym Lang

He seems like a pretty awesome dude. Definitely one that wouldn't say that Deadpool is the FIRST MAINSTREAM Rated-R movie, only to neglect the fact that BvS (which you love btw) director Zack Snyder directed WATCHMEN, which was pretty mainstream in itself.

• Upvote 1

He seems like a pretty awesome dude. Definitely one that wouldn't say that Deadpool is the FIRST MAINSTREAM Rated-R movie, only to neglect the fact that BvS (which you love btw) director Zack Snyder directed WATCHMEN, which was pretty mainstream in itself.

LOL ok we can do this....

You are trolling. And that's fine. For whatever reason this satisfies urge you have.

Comparing Watchmen to Deadpool is just an exercise in either futility or stupidity.

You want to continue to take the literal sense of other movies based on comic material with an R rating,

then no Deadpool is not the first as I've already agreed to. But to act as if it was a mainstream, big budget, franchise movie like the movies are now (which means they have A LOT more riding on it and more restrictions) then go ahead and act naive (or troll) whichever is true to you.

Damn! Butta getting dunked on by Sparty. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

With all of the hype for the BvS trailer, I half expected Christian Bale to be in the Batsuit :kobe:

We are only 9 days away from a second Daredevil trailer... Still can't get the first one out of my mind. It's just pure genius.

Berenthal is gon kill it as the Punisher. RIP Shane

The only main true reason I troll Butta is cause I'm trying to get him to see the light. He needs to admit that Fant4stic was a floppy mess and agree that it was a bad movie. Then I'll stop.

Or just keep doing it cause it's fun. :smug::troll:

Never said it was a good movie :shrug:

Just said it started out good and then was clearly torn apart when the studio interfered :shrug:

Never said it was a good movie :shrug:

Just said it started out good and then was clearly torn apart when the studio interfered :shrug:

Butta :pls: , you said you liked the movie right when it came out.

Butta :pls: , you said you liked the movie right when it came out.

No I didn't. Party :pls:

Just twisting words like always. Said I was excited and thought it could do well. Had no way of knowing the studio destroyed it the way it did.

Edited by butta54

I mean cmon Butta, you tell us one minute you liked the new FF movie (and now take back that statement), and then you literally tell us you wont see Deadpool a second time, and then release this video saying you thoroughly enjoyed it. MAKE UP YOUR MIND, MAN. I think we found taht troll master you're looking for, and its yourself. :laugh:

Saw F4 this afternoon.....

NO idea what all these negative reviews are about!!!

I won't get into a full review now but I think the main issue is this is an origin story to the 10th degree. People expecting big action and a bunch of stuff won't like this movie. But for the beginning of a franchise it makes you want so much more which is the job of the origin. Also a big part of this movie depends on your feelings of their Doom (which I loved).

BUTTA YOU LIKED THE MOVIE...... I will fill this with more of your quotes.

Another gem I found:

Great points Milla and I agree. Here is what I would say tho

-F4 could very well blow up (in comparison) overseas. There taste is different so you just never know. The international box office could bring this to a break even. Depsite the big production budget, the marketing wasn't all that hard pressed (for obvious reasons) so I don't see them having a huge marketing bill. At the end of the day this could end up being on par with those Wolverine movies.

-I understand the negative word of mouth and reviews, but here is the key thing you are missing...actually read through the reviews from critics and really the underlying problem is not that they don't want F4....its the opposite! They want a good F4 SOOO bad that whatever Fox produces that isn't up to their quality they hate. Now yes as a film I've said it is messed up, but as a property the only real complaint is that the movie didn't give you enough of the good stuff it showed.

IMO that is a very different take than any of those horrible movies you listed, yes at the end of the day money talks. But as fans I swear on everything I love that this is a movie worth watching if you took time to watch some of those horrible movies you listed. It leaves you wanting so much more...doesn't leave you like WTH was that on screen like some of those other movies.

Butta made himself sound like he was gonna like shit on the movie or something.. And then it turns out he totally loved in. :laugh: Says in the thread he won't see the movie again, but says in the review that he wants to check it out to find more easter eggs for himself. Psh.

Also... Common setbacks in origin stories and not giving us enough background? From the guy who says Daredevil is humanizing the Punisher too much and they need to avoid giving us too much background information?

:rofl:

Edited by Favre4Ever

Yeah no where in there did I say it was a good movie. All I said was there were parts of the movie that made the movie worth watching and it had the right idea before it was messed up by studios which is the same thing I echoed earlier.

Called the movie an origin story with normal origin story problems and a lot less action and big scenes the fans wanted. I understand the negatives of the movie, but there was still stuff that was good.

Because I'm not gonna watch a movie twice or five times doesn't mean its I didn't enjoy it. Some movies aren't have rewatchability for me...nothing against the movie, just my personal feelings...nothing wrong or right about it.

Butta made himself sound like he was gonna like shit on the movie or something.. And then it turns out he totally loved in. :laugh: Says in the thread he won't see the movie again, but says in the review that he wants to check it out to find more easter eggs for himself. Psh.

Also... Common setbacks in origin stories and not giving us enough background? From the guy who says Daredevil is humanizing the Punisher too much and they need to avoid giving us too much background information?

:rofl:

Again twisting words. You and Party should just date each other.

I never said Daredevil is doing anything. I said I hope they don't do something and that gets turned into me claiming what the show IS AND ISN'T DOING. :lol: you guys are a joke.

Yeah no where in there did I say it was a good movie. All I said was there were parts of the movie that made the movie worth watching and it had the right idea before it was messed up by studios which is the same thing I echoed earlier.

Called the movie an origin story with normal origin story problems and a lot less action and big scenes the fans wanted. I understand the negatives of the movie, but there was still stuff that was good.

Because I'm not gonna watch a movie twice or five times doesn't mean its I didn't enjoy it. Some movies aren't have rewatchability for me...nothing against the movie, just my personal feelings...nothing wrong or right about it.

You said in the review that you have thought about or want to watch the movie again though. >_>

Again twisting words. You and Party should just date each other.

I never said Daredevil is doing anything. I said I hope they don't do something and that gets turned into me claiming what the show IS AND ISN'T DOING. :lol: you guys are a joke.

I swear on everything I love that this is a movie worth watching

Sounds pretty clear right there that you WOULD in fact recommend someone to watch this movie. Why would anyone recommend someone watch a movie they themselves didn't like? Butta just take the L man, take the L.

RIP Jay Garrick.