Milla4Prez63

The Superhero Thread

So I finally got around to seeing The Amazing Spiderman.

I am so conflicted about this movie.

On one hand, the cast (most of it) is great. The tone is great. But, on the other hand, you have Spiderman himself. Now, I can't pin this on Andrew Garfield, but the fact that this is one massive coming of age story, instead of something...more, really took me out of the movie (That, and I kept flashing back to Life of Pi every time I heard the name Richard Parker and saw Irrfan Khan's character...). Now, it's been a while since I've seen Tobeyman 1, but I seem to recall that handled things much better (or at least to my satisfaction, anyway).

Perhaps things will be better in TAS2.

Edited by Vin

IM3 > Man of Steel > Into Darkness

Went into MoS expecting it to suck, or at the very least to be disappointed, but I left quite happy with the whole thing. Wasn't digging Shannon at all until the movie was nearly over, so that was probably the biggest detraction of the movie for me. I thought Adams was fine (so much LL hate....), and Caville was surprisingly good as Supes.

Overall I'd give it an 8/10. I can't really find anything wrong with the film. The casting of Michael Shannon is the weakest part for me, but the film is very pretty (I want Jor-El's dog-dragonfly thing), and the action scenes are great. Can't really expect much more from a Superman reboot.

And that's, I think, where the issue is with some of you. This is a reboot. They're going to show you the origins, not throw you into full acceptance/reliance mode right from the start. I would expect something along the lines of that to happen in the next film, though doing so would pretty much be copying off of The Dark Knight, so I'm going to be curious whether or not they decide to go that direction or not. I'm actually looking forward to the next one, and that's not something I was expecting to say going into the movie.

You also gotta figure Lex Luthor is gonna show up in the next film, since there was at least one LexCorp "easter egg" in the film.

Also, to whomever decided to include Chris Cornell's "Seasons" into the film: I love you. That is all.

Edited by Vin
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Cons:

-Too damn long.

-Too many explosions. What is this, Transformers?

-Amy Adams. I thought she was a horrible Lois Lane and her romance with Supes was just forced because it is Lois Lane and Superman and they have to be together. They never really did anything to show us why this romance clicks, they just kinda shoved it down our throats. Not to mention she doesn't look anything like Lois should IMO.

-The flashbacks. Why couldn't they have just told the story of Clark's relationship with his adopted father right away instead of constantly going back an forth with random flashbacks?

Length didn't bother me at all. The explosions weren't bad in most places where they should have been, Kal and Zod crashing through a gas station. But it seems like their bodies were coated in jet fuel, because any building they collided with exploded. Little over the top, but okay. Haha

Amy Adams was indeed pretty awful. You mentioned both reasons, but I am not so sure it was about them forcing the relationship as the relationship just happened. A problem here and with the entire movie is that there was just no development outside of the first few scenes on Krypton. Like their romance, everything JUST HAPPENS. They don't build up to anything, they don't care to explain or grow relationships or the story very much. So, so disappointing.

The flashbacks worked to a certain point, but there was just so many of them. They really disrupted the flow and pacing of the film. Always taking breaks in the action to go force some developmental tidbit into a flashback because they were too lazy to do it in the course of the actual movie.

Firstly, I liked Henry Cavill. However, after saying that, this next bit is going to be weird. Any part of the movie that featured more than Lois or Clark was better than the parts with just Lois, just Clark, or them together.

The scenes with Russell Crowe were beyond epic. At the end, I wanted the movie to be ALL origin. I wanted the entire movie to be about the development of Krypton, the rise of power of Zod and Jor. The final scene would have been the first scene of this movie. With maybe the Kent's finding Kal. It would have been so much better, I guarantee it.

Speaking of the Kent's. I also thought they did a good job. Kevin and Diane were amazing. And it was a cop out that Costner died in a flashback.

Laurence Fishbourne was particularly effective as well, I thought.

The scene with him, Steve, and Jenny was pretty moving towards the end when Jenny is trapped... For the emotional being that I am, anyway. Really well done.

And, even though I liked Cavil. I actually really liked their casting for teenager Clark. Have no idea what his name is but I thought he was pretty awesome all things considered.

Thus, I come to my conclusion that the less of Superman and Lois Lane you see, the better the movie is.

As Milla said. Visually the film is stunning. The action sequences are awesome. They had a couple short jokes fit into the script but they always came at bad times, IMO. Could have worked a few more in there, as well.

But in the end the lack of development really hurts the end product. You know they want you to care about the characters, but they make it extremely difficult to do so.

It was solid. Nothing amazing. Probably a 7/10 or on my RT meter, 3.5 / 5. I was hoping for better, but it wasn't as much a pile of crap as the last Superman so... Eh.

Even though Shailene Woodley has filmed scenes MJW in the Spidey sequel, Sony is cutting her from the movie. Tough for her, lol.

I just beat the Deadpool game. It is hilarious as fuck and has tons of awesome moments. The game is a little bit short though and lacks a climatic final boss battle. But in general, if you love Deadpool anywhere near as much as I do you need this game. Lots of laughs and fun to be had.

Are you kidding me right now, Vin? IM3 and MoS > Into Darkness? Get out of here.

I just beat the Deadpool game. It is hilarious as fuck and has tons of awesome moments. The game is a little bit short though and lacks a climatic final boss battle. But in general, if you love Deadpool anywhere near as much as I do you need this game. Lots of laughs and fun to be had.

Sounds awesome, but not worth $60. I might get this and Injutice together in the future.

Are you kidding me right now, Vin? IM3 and MoS > Into Darkness? Get out of here.

Vin still holding grudges against Into Darkness. :laugh:

I'm a huge Superman fan and absolutely loved most of the MoS. I was very much disappointed in the casting of Amy Adams as Lois Lane - her scenes were forced and seemed very contrived. I didn't feel that chemistry that should have been there.

Shit even the LL in the Christopher Reeves flicks was better, and I hated her. Those camera effects every time they showed her face is annoying as fuck. Soften and blur to get some innocent look. -Sorry, small rant on the 70s-80s Supe films.

:shrug:

I have far fewer issues with both IM3 and MoS than I do with Into Darkness.

Sounds awesome, but not worth $60. I might get this and Injutice together in the future.

Deadpool is actually 50 bucks, not as if that may change your mind lol.

Deadpool is actually 50 bucks, not as if that may change your mind lol.

THat's a plus, but still too much. :p

Supposedly FOX is planning an X-Force movie.....DEADPOOL PLS.

UPDATE: Deadpool is CONFIRMED for the in-production X-Force movie (with Ryan Reynolds) along with Cable!

http://comicbook.com/blog/2013/07/12/x-force-movie-will-feature-cable-and-deadpool/

I-came-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-1360.gif

Edited by Milla4Prez63

So idk if anyone here is a fan of The Avatar like I am, or watched season 1 of The Legend of Korra, but they are coming out with a second book.

Which is great cause I thought they were going to discontinue the series after the first one.

After decades of fighting evil solo, Batman and Superman will finally be teaming up on the big screen, multiple sources confirm to The Hollywood Reporter.

Warner Bros. is expected to announce at its Hall H panel that as the follow-up to Man of Steel, it is pairing two of the most recognizable superheroes in the world for a one-two punch that will be directed by Zack Snyder.

Henry Cavill will reprise his role as Superman, but it is unclear who will play Batman in the new film. A release date of 2015 has been set, with tentative plans for a Flash movie appearing in 2016 and a Justice League movie in 2017, sources said.

David Goyer, who co-wrote Man of Steel, will write the script. Rumors of the team-up movie have been circulating Comic-Con for a couple of days.

Snyder's Man of Steel, which rebooted the Superman franchise, has grossed north of $600 million worldwide since it hit theaters this June.

Batman and Superman have a long history of teaming up in the comic book universe. Starting in 1954, D.C. published a comic titled Worlds Finest, which featured the two as best pals who joined forces.

The dynamic between the two changed with Frank Miller’s 1986 The Dark Knight mini-series in which the two were on opposite sides of the philosophical and political fence.

Since then, that sort of antagonism has permeated most of the stories involving their interaction.

The Batman & Superman film is an interesting zigzag as D.C. builds toward a Justice League movie. Most expected D.C. to work toward its team movie with films featuring individual heroes, the way Marvel has done, or the opposite: one big movie leading to individual outings.

The LA Times first reported the news of the Batman & Superman film.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Kinda hope they can coax Bale into putting the cowl back on. Probably won't though, so it's going to be interesting who they pick to replace him.

Probably gonna suck. The big question is... Will they try to coax whoever does this into doing batman franchise reboot?

In other big movie news, Marvel announced the official name for the Avengers sequel, Avengers: Age of Ultron. Pretty big news since it is confirming that Thanos is not the villiain, but instead obviously Ultron.

Also, this confirms Ant-Man will have some sort of role in the movie. Lets celebrate JD! :smug:

• Downvote 1

A neg? Y u mad doe JD? :troll:

Also, Ultron being confirmed kinda makes me wonder if the Vin Disel as Vision rumors have some legs to them. He met with Marvel this past week.

Ant-Man isn't a hero, thus doesn't belong in this thread. Please stay on topic, Milla. :D

So after having Thanos in the post-credits scene of Avengers, they decide to change villains?

So after having Thanos in the post-credits scene of Avengers, they decide to change villains?

They are probably just saving Thanos for the 3rd movie since he is probably the Avengers' biggest villain. Plus they confirmed he will have some sort of role in Guardians of the Galaxy to tease his future in film.

In other big movie news, Marvel announced the official name for the Avengers sequel, Avengers: Age of Ultron. Pretty big news since it is confirming that Thanos is not the villiain, but instead obviously Ultron.

Also, this confirms Ant-Man will have some sort of role in the movie. Lets celebrate JD! :smug:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/22/comic-con-whedon-says-no-hank-pym-in-avengers-2-and-different-ultron-origin

Milla sad.

Also:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/23/diesel-on-his-potential-marvel-role-a-different-kind-of-love-story

But if it happens, who will he play? Nobody is talking, but Diesel himself continues to drop hints about the role. Here's what he told EW at Comic-Con this past weekend.

“Marvel was excited about bring[ing] a different kind of relationship, a different kind of love story, I guess kind of inspired from the Dom-Letty relationship, into the Marvel universe," the actor says. Dom-Letty, of course, refers to his and Michelle Rodriguez' characters from the Fast and the Furious franchise.

Doesn't Ultron have daddy issues or something? :think:

I don't have a major problem with them having someone other than Hank Pym create Ultron, but I don't like that it is Stark. I mean, it can't really be anyone else but I like Downey's version of Stark too much to see him deal with the fact that he created Ultron. I just feel like they've done a good enough job of having Tony overcome his past problems in the movies he has been in to drop this on him.

I pretty much dislike everything about DC Comics short of Batman. I think their heroes are wildly uninteresting and their movies are just awful. I was thinking about replacements for Batman, and I just watched the Lone Ranger, and while that movie was pretty terrible, I thought Armie Hammer might make a pretty solid Bruce/Batman.

They need to work out something with Sony to at the very least get Spider-Man into Avengers 3.

I also read that Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are going to be in Avengers 2, but they're also going to be in X-Men: Days of Future Past... who gets sued first?

I pretty much dislike everything about DC Comics short of Batman. I think their heroes are wildly uninteresting and their movies are just awful. I was thinking about replacements for Batman, and I just watched the Lone Ranger, and while that movie was pretty terrible, I thought Armie Hammer might make a pretty solid Bruce/Batman.

I agree with about everything here. DC's lower tier characters are nowhere near as interesting as Marvel's and even their top tier guys like Flash, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Green Lantern, etc. are not as strong. The CW show about Green Arrow has really been a surprise hit for me though. I also really love the Injustice fighting game. As for movies, they've always relied on Batman and Superman instead of getting their other properties on to the big screen. The fact that they are doing a Superman/Batman team up movie before about every other character gets one just proves this. With super hero movies at their peak of popularity, it just puzzles me that DC and Warner Bros. doesn't try and take advantage. Are they scared because Green Lantern flopped?

They need to work out something with Sony to at the very least get Spider-Man into Avengers 3.

The more I think about it, the more am I fine with Spidey not being a part of the Avengers films. I'm fine with him being in his own little movie world. Plus he has never been a HUGE player for the team in the comics, they kind of just threw him in there for popularity reasons. Same with Wolverine, whose probably had a bigger impact on the Avengers than Peter.

I also read that Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are going to be in Avengers 2, but they're also going to be in X-Men: Days of Future Past... who gets sued first?

Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige explained this weird situation stating that both companies have rights to the characters. Just that Marvel can't refer to their mutant background and FOX can't refer to the character's history with the Avengers.