Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Report: Raptors ready to trade No. 8 pick, more for swingman

Kurt Helin | Jun 6, 2012, 8:18 PM EDT

Toronto has some players in place, a coach, but they also have a distinct need — they want an established front line wing player. They have set their sights high.

And they will give up their No. 8 overall pick to get it. So reports Marc Stein at ESPN.

And that’s why the Raptors have already made it known to rival teams that their lottery pick on June 28 — No. 8 overall — is available to a trade partner that can provide the elite small forward they seek, according to sources close to the situation.

With a slew of league execs having converged on Chicago this week for the NBA’s annual pre-draft camp, sources told ESPN.com that the Raptors have at least two known trade targets: Memphis swingman Rudy Gay and Philadelphia’s Andre Iguodala.

It’s going to take more than the No. 8 pick to get those guys. Now, if as Stein suggests, you are talking about throwing in Jose Calderon or Ed Davis… you’re still not there. But you’re getting closer.

Toronto sounds like a team looking to be aggressive this summer. Last season they were a team that showed improvement and if they can keep key guys like Andrea Bargnaini healthy and get DeMar DeRozan more consistent they may be on to something. Plus, they needed a big man but they have young 7-footer Jonas Valanciunas (last draft’s No. 5 pick) coming.

All they need is that wing player.

Source: ProBaskeballTalk

The "price would likely have to come down" for the Raptors to agree to a trade for either Andre Iguodala or Rudy Gay.

This news comes in response to an ESPN report that Toronto was targeting one of the two swingmen. There's no doubt that both are on the team's radar, but the Raptors are not inclined to trade a veteran, a young piece and a lottery pick for one of Iguodala and Gay. Both players have very cumbersome contracts.

The Raptors are horrible. I don't see either of those two players wanting to leave their respective clubs for this. Honestly, I don't see either team trading them either. So they should highly consider just drafting someone

The Raptors are horrible. I don't see either of those two players wanting to leave their respective clubs for this. Honestly, I don't see either team trading them either. So they should highly consider just drafting someone

I think both teams will seriously consider moving Gay and Iggy for the right price. They both are overpaid and will never be anything more than really good players.

The Memphis Grizzlies were better without Rudy Gay last year. Then again, they had Battier to fill in at #3 to spot up and shoot, and that's why they need with two post players who can dominate on any given night. Does Toronto have a shooter Memphis could trade for to put at #3?

Players on the Raptors' roster capable of playing the three:

DeMar DeRozan

Gary Forbes

James Johnson

Linas Kleiza

The only one worth any value is DeRozan and I don't think Toronto will want to part with him while he is young, developing and on a team friendly contract. Plus, I think he plays more SG than SF.

Ed Davis has no real value in the NBA, so I doubt he and Calderon plus the #8 pick will get Gay out of Memphis. Unless the Grizzlies REALLY like who could be available at that pick.

I don't know how deep the draft is this year, but if the Raptors are willing to trade the 8th pick for Iggy, the Sixers should listen.

I don't know how deep the draft is this year, but if the Raptors are willing to trade the 8th pick for Iggy, the Sixers should listen.

Why are most Sixer fans so intent on trading Iggy? He was pretty much the main reason they played Boston to 7 games. I understand the point of trading him for a dominant post who can score, because that's what Philly needs, but are they going to reach at #8 in the draft if Drummond is already gone? I mean, Sullinger will still be there, Zeller will still be there, Fab Melo will still be there, but we're talking about guys who shouldn't even be thought about until well after the tenth pick.

IMO, Philly needs to be actively pursuing Pau Gasol.

^^ Turner brings a lot of what Iggy brings to the table, cept he's younger, and has the potential to be the better player.

If I was the Raptors, I'd swing hard for Gay, although there is no way the Grizz would ever part ways with him. If they are want to trade for a swingman, don't go for Iggy... Just draft one......

Why are most Sixer fans so intent on trading Iggy? He was pretty much the main reason they played Boston to 7 games. I understand the point of trading him for a dominant post who can score, because that's what Philly needs, but are they going to reach at #8 in the draft if Drummond is already gone? I mean, Sullinger will still be there, Zeller will still be there, Fab Melo will still be there, but we're talking about guys who shouldn't even be thought about until well after the tenth pick.

IMO, Philly needs to be actively pursuing Pau Gasol.

I said this. Sixers needa big man down low to score and rebound. Gasol would be good for them. Gimme Iggy, throw Hawes in there. Question is though, how much do they wanna give up for him?

Raptors really think that Iggy or Gay puts them over the top? I mean making a move like this pretty much states that. They should stay at 8 and draft a player they can develop. That team is awful.

Raptors really think that Iggy or Gay puts them over the top? I mean making a move like this pretty much states that. They should stay at 8 and draft a player they can develop. That team is awful.

This.

Yeah I don't understand the move to overly purse either one of those guys. I say stay at 8 and draft someone.

1. No point in getting a perimeter shooter. All good teams have good board control, Toronto is miles from this.

2. Neither of these players put them in playoff contention. Even with the downfall of the Magic, there are still 9 teams better than them in the East (including the Magic w/o Howard).

3. Not nearly enough fan support for this team to be making moves like this. Bringing in Gay or Iggy wont suddenly sell season tickets and get the team to rally behind them and find some sort of inner talent.

Edited by karl

1. No point in getting a perimeter shooter. All good teams have good board control, Toronto is miles from this.

2. Neither of these players put them in playoff contention. Even with the downfall of the Magic, there are still 9 teams better than them in the East (including the Magic w/o Howard).

3. Not nearly enough fan support for this team to be making moves like this. Bringing in Gay or Iggy wont suddenly sell season tickets and get the team to rally behind them and find some sort of inner talent.

Trade for someone good, and then hope u get some good moves in FA. If they could do that they could be playoff bound. The East is fucking WEAK. Chicago is overrated as fuck. I get they are a good team no doubt, but they werent as good as their win total. They lost in the first round and lets say they did go to the finals. There isnt anyone in the West they could beat. East is too easy. All it takes is one good offseason to become playoff bound in the East.