Sign in to follow this  
DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

NBA Finals- Thunder Vs. Heat (1-1)

Most coaches and players tend to agree that the 13-20 footer (mid range) is the worst shot in basketball to take. Only time you ever really see a guy intentionally take a midrange jump shot is when they are natural shooters (Durant, KG) or they are acurate from that area (Westbrook). A lot of coaches tend to not coach up players to take mid range jump shots unless they are confident it will go in.

That's why I laugh so hard when people say things like "player X sucks because he doesn't have a midrange jump shot." When some of you the best players in the NBA don't even have a consistent mid range game.

Alright, that makes sense. I don't follow the NBA that much, so I was unaware of such trends.

Thanks, DMac. :yep:

Alright, that makes sense. I don't follow the NBA that much, so I was unaware of such trends.

Thanks, DMac. :yep:

haha, no problem. I only know that cause I was so bad at them myself.

haha, no problem. I only know that cause I was so bad at them myself.

I wouldnt say thats the WORST shot to take. It only is if u out of control and do a fadeaway to shoot it. Then your off balance and it is most likely to wing a bit. The mid range is my shot. That and the paint area. Theres alot of players who can make that shot. I see what your saying, but in most cases someone who wouldnt make that shot is someone who cant find a way to get a shot off or get in position. Someone like Battier from the Heat, great 3 point shooter when spaced. But he cant do it off the dribble with a defender on him. Most of the good players in the NBA have that down though.

I wouldnt say thats the WORST shot to take. It only is if u out of control and do a fadeaway to shoot it. Then your off balance and it is most likely to wing a bit. The mid range is my shot. That and the paint area. Theres alot of players who can make that shot. I see what your saying, but in most cases someone who wouldnt make that shot is someone who cant find a way to get a shot off or get in position. Someone like Battier from the Heat, great 3 point shooter when spaced. But he cant do it off the dribble with a defender on him. Most of the good players in the NBA have that down though.

Every basketball camp I went to when I played high school ball put the mid range shot among the worst shot location choices.

Obviously because everyone is different, bad shot selection by my standards might not be the same as yours. But either way, hoopdata came out with an article a long minute ago which showed that the mid range jump shot it one of the least efficient. If you do a fadeaway, or off balance, your more then likely to miss from anywhere unless if your Dirk...

Kobe, KG and Dirk are really the only three people that go for a mid range jump-shot that I feel confident for them when it's in the air. Not a lot of players can routinely hit that shot.

Guest Phailadelphia

Every basketball camp I went to when I played high school ball put the mid range shot among the worst shot location choices.

Obviously because everyone is different, bad shot selection by my standards might not be the same as yours. But either way, hoopdata came out with an article a long minute ago which showed that the mid range jump shot it one of the least efficient. If you do a fadeaway, or off balance, your more then likely to miss from anywhere unless if your Dirk...

It has a lot to do with how easy it is to contest a mid-ranger jumper right? Hitting a jumpshot inside the 3-point line is hell in a pick-up game.

My whole hoop game is predicated around the midrange jumper but it's so hard to hit in iso.

Edited by Phailadelphia

Let's not overlook Thabo Sefolosha..That dude played some great defense on LeBron and LeBron had only 29% FG percentage when guarded by him..He might be the X-Factor of this series..

Interesting. But i wouldnt see why it would be considered a bad shot.. Again unless u fade. I think its the best choice specially if u have a good pump fake. When u create space and u around the mid area, u have triple option. U can go left or right or shoot or pass it. So if u catch the ball and go to shoot and u see the defender coming up, u take off past him when hes in the air to contest your shot. Or pass and do a give and go. With so many options at that point unelss ur RIGHT THERE with him the whole time, its hard to guard that area when someone knows what to do. And if your in the NBA id ASSUME you know what to do. I play smart, so i know how to use the advantage of offense against even a person who plays great D. So when the defender realizes u have options, if u give a jab step hell prob give u space and then its a straight away shot. Idk i guess it varies from who runs certain plays and shit. Anyone here leaves me in the mid area with space im knockin it down 8-10 times.

Kobe, KG and Dirk are really the only three people that go for a mid range jump-shot that I feel confident for them when it's in the air. Not a lot of players can routinely hit that shot.

I'd probably consider Durant on that list as well. IDT he's gonna yank up off balance shots like Dirk is famous for doing, but he has such an amazing jump shot and he is so tall+long that it's so hard to defend. But it's so deadly when you have a guy who can do it.

It has a lot to do with how easy it is to contest a mid-ranger jumper right? Hitting a jumpshot inside the 3-point line is hell in a pick-up game.

My whole hoop game is predicated around the midrange jumper but it's so hard to hit in iso.

I actully don't know. lol.

My guess is probably that with threes, your usually catching it and launching it, at least when your playing a pick up game, and you usually always have your feet set and if you practice it enough times and get used to shooting from a distance it can become repetitive. And defense spend so much time defending the hoop, and the lanes that you can get a lot of open looks.

In the article that I can't seem to find anymore, they were saying that a majority of the time that a player hits a three, it's assisted, and a lot of times a player launches a mid range jump shot, it's coming off the dribble or a player going full speed and stopping then launching up the shot.

And with a lot of the dribble pull up jump shots, etc, which are usually isos, speed of movement forward, speed of movement lateral of the basket, the degree of bend to decelerate, the type of stop, the defense’s proximity to you, and the distance from the basket... There are so many variables that it probably plays a big part.

But I honestly have no clue why. Our coaches always taught us to force teams into shooting from the mid range, though. I honestly never paid attention to why. Outside of driving in, or trying to work the post, I have no offense game, I spent most of my energy on the defensive side of the ball anyways. lol.

I remember, how he (jv coach) said it was "the 20 footer is too far away to only get 2 points and not far enough for a 3-pointer."

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

Interesting. But i wouldnt see why it would be considered a bad shot.. Again unless u fade. I think its the best choice specially if u have a good pump fake. When u create space and u around the mid area, u have triple option. U can go left or right or shoot or pass it. So if u catch the ball and go to shoot and u see the defender coming up, u take off past him when hes in the air to contest your shot. Or pass and do a give and go. With so many options at that point unelss ur RIGHT THERE with him the whole time, its hard to guard that area when someone knows what to do. And if your in the NBA id ASSUME you know what to do. I play smart, so i know how to use the advantage of offense against even a person who plays great D. So when the defender realizes u have options, if u give a jab step hell prob give u space and then its a straight away shot. Idk i guess it varies from who runs certain plays and shit. Anyone here leaves me in the mid area with space im knockin it down 8-10 times.

I got a friend who does the same thing. He's like 5'4" and all he does is run around in circles, then when you think he's about to pull up, he hits you with a step back which really throws you off as a defender. And he makes it every damn time.

I got a friend who does the same thing. He's like 5'4" and all he does is run around in circles, then when you think he's about to pull up, he hits you with a step back which really throws you off as a defender. And he makes it every damn time.

Yeah i got the side back step like Jordan did to hit the GW vs Utah. thats my shit there.

Guest Phailadelphia

Fuck everybody who hits step-back shots in pickup games.

My favorite move is the jump-stop or eurostep to the basket. I can get to the rim at will.

• Upvote 1

My favorite move is the jump-stop or eurostep to the basket. I can get to the rim at will.

Haha u mad. And i dont euro step i pro hop inside. But if i really wanna score i post up. I got so many moves and shit people tell me they hate gaurding me cuz its annoying lol

I can't do the euro, and i'd do a hop step, but i'd travel in the process. :p

Guest Phailadelphia

Haha u mad. And i dont euro step i pro hop inside. But if i really wanna score i post up. I got so many moves and shit people tell me they hate gaurding me cuz its annoying lol

Oh yeah it definitely pisses me off lol. I play hard as hell on defense and can cut anyone off from the rim. Step-back shots are impossible to contest, especially when you don't expect them. And I do not like being scored on.

Oh yeah it definitely pisses me off lol. I play hard as hell on defense and can cut anyone off from the rim. Step-back shots are impossible to contest, especially when you don't expect them. And I do not like being scored on.

One thing i do like about Louisville is that theres alot of college players up here that i play alot. So it helps me out, i can get to the rim if i want too but i normally like shooting better. But when i get serious i post up. Im 6 foot, and ive had people 6'9 guard me in the post and i still score. I dont mind being scored on if i know the person is good. However lately especially ive had pplp get lucky by throwing shit up and it getting a nice bounce and going in. That shit annoys me. I win with skill so i demand to lose by skill not luck. Thats the way i see it.

I can't block hook shots at all (I'm 6'2 in shoes with good ups and anticipation, so I block a lot of regular post shots). There's this guy I always end up guarding in pick up ball, and he's like six feet tall and 230, but a fat two thirty. Nine out of ten of his shots I can block, but that damn hook shot. I have to front him to stop it.

I am not athletic enough to be a great basketball player, but I dominate a lot of pick up games because I can push people around (it is absolutely ridiculous how many people play with no base and no strength). I get most rebounds, have a post game (back down, spin move, up fakes), can step out to fifteen feet and bank off the glass with a jumpshot, and can hit anything out to two or three feet past the three point line. I'm a good post defender who will either keep you out of the paint entirely or front you.

Because I'm limited athletically (built like a bull, but I'm not very fast), I'm forced to play extremely smart, which I can do. It's absurd how many people don't think while they play pick up ball.

Guest Phailadelphia

I can't block hook shots at all (I'm 6'2 in shoes with good ups and anticipation, so I block a lot of regular post shots). There's this guy I always end up guarding in pick up ball, and he's like six feet tall and 230, but a fat two thirty. Nine out of ten of his shots I can block, but that damn hook shot. I have to front him to stop it.

I am not athletic enough to be a great basketball player, but I dominate a lot of pick up games because I can push people around (it is absolutely ridiculous how many people play with no base and no strength). I get most rebounds, have a post game (back down, spin move, up fakes), can step out to fifteen feet and bank off the glass with a jumpshot, and can hit anything out to two or three feet past the three point line. I'm a good post defender who will either keep you out of the paint entirely or front you.

Because I'm limited athletically (built like a bull, but I'm not very fast), I'm forced to play extremely smart, which I can do. It's absurd how many people don't think while they play pick up ball.

Yeah I'm surprised how many people don't play to their strengths physically. I'm 5'11" and about 160-165 lbs so I'm able to slither my way to the rim with fakes, dribbling, and my hop step and eurostep so I feel like I'm taking advantage of my size and speed. But I see guys like 6'4" sitting out on the 3-point line just jacking up bad shots. Can't help but wonder why they aren't posting up or crashing the boards.

But I see guys like 6'4" sitting out on the 3-point line just jacking up bad shots. Can't help but wonder why they aren't posting up or crashing the boards.

I dont get it too. They just prob wanna play their way. But still if u know u could dominate inside why wouldnt u? I want too win and will play anyway possible to win. Today i was the assist man. I did alot of give and gos, threading passes between players. Its funny, some days i can shoot lights out ANYWHERE. Some days i got AI dribbles. And then some days i got nothing lol.

Guest Phailadelphia

I dont get it too. They just prob wanna play their way. But still if u know u could dominate inside why wouldnt u? I want too win and will play anyway possible to win. Today i was the assist man. I did alot of give and gos, threading passes between players. Its funny, some days i can shoot lights out ANYWHERE. Some days i got AI dribbles. And then some days i got nothing lol.

Right, I guess some folks are just happy with playing. Fuck that. If I don't win I'm in a bad mood the rest of the day. I know EXACTLY what you mean about each day being different hahaha. Basketball is easily the most difficult sport to be consistent in. So many technical and finesse aspects to dribbling, shooting, etc. It's a hard game to be good at.

Seattle Supersonics in 6

Right, I guess some folks are just happy with playing. Fuck that. If I don't win I'm in a bad mood the rest of the day. I know EXACTLY what you mean about each day being different hahaha. Basketball is easily the most difficult sport to be consistent in. So many technical and finesse aspects to dribbling, shooting, etc. It's a hard game to be good at.

I talk to get in peoples head too. Like if someone makes a bucket ill go its ok to my teammate, he got lucky, i plant lack of confidence in themselves. And when it works, youll know. I prob wont play ball again til next week, when i do that that first day i come back my jumper is WET. If i ball for like a week straight i get worse as the week goes on. Weird.

Operation Revive Pat Riley Stage 2 ready for action.