Sign in to follow this  
karl

The End of the Flopping Era

MIAMI -- David Stern is determined to stop the floppers, even if it takes until the next morning.

The NBA commissioner and the league's competition committee met Monday and had a discussion about players deceiving referees into calling fouls by falling down, or flopping.

Stern says one option could be a "postgame analysis" in which players could be penalized if it was determined he flopped. He says the league wants to find a way to "put a stake in the ground that says this is not something that we want to be part of our game."

The committee also discussed expanding instant replay for flagrant fouls and goaltending, and seemed to favor leaving the away from the ball foul rule as is, so coaches could continue to foul bad free throw shooters.

Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press

By the beard of Zeus- we have victory!!

I'm fucking extatic right now. I don't think my day could have started any better than it already has. This news is simply wonderful.

I believe that the post game analysis is perfect, there's no other way to determine it better. The Refs aren't going to see the flop in real time, it's too fast.

So what do you guys think is a legitimate punishment for flopping? I think that if they gave them a Flagrant 1 the problem would solve itself. Too much flop, then you get suspended. Easy as that

The question would be how do you tell if someone flops, or if someone looks like they flopped, but in actuality they just lost their balance. I guess that would be by the expression on the guy's face, whether he is looking for a foul, or whether he just fell over.

If we could determine what exactly was a flop, I'd agree with a flagrant 1 penalty. Or perhaps a different category of penalties, like three flops and you're out/suspended for the next game.

Fine them. Fucking with their money really seems to piss 'dem millionaires off.

It has to be an effective fine, though. Most fines used as penalties in sports are hardly hurting their bank accounts...

Well by fining them you will affect the individual player but by suspending them, you would be hurting the team. I figure if your hurting the team then the coaches and GMs get involved, as well as teammates, to promote less flopping.

As soon as it starts hurting their wallets,they'll stop doing it..

Suspensions take more away from a player than most fines.

• Upvote 2

I was gonna say this would lead to disaster...

But then I read the part about after the game analysis. Something like that would be kinda good.

Fine them. Fucking with their money really seems to piss 'dem millionaires off.

This. Both points. Act like millionaires should actually pay their taxes and see how they react...

This. Both points. Act like millionaires should actually pay their taxes and see how they react...

You guys obviously don't understand how little fines affect a player. Let me break this down for you...

When a player gets fined the money goes to charity. You know what happens when your money goes to charity? You get to mark it down as a donation on your taxes. So the players who get fined usually end up getting about HALF that money back when they file for taxes because guess what.....it's a donation.

So you fine someone 50K...really only about 25K. That will show them.

NOW, if you suspend them WITHOUT pay they have no way of earning that money and therefore they lose ALL that money they would make in the games AND it will affect the team and as someone pointed out earlier makes teams as a whole work to prevent it. MUCH more effective.

You guys obviously don't understand how little fines affect a player. Let me break this down for you...

When a player gets fined the money goes to charity. You know what happens when your money goes to charity? You get to mark it down as a donation on your taxes. So the players who get fined usually end up getting about HALF that money back when they file for taxes because guess what.....it's a donation.

So you fine someone 50K...really only about 25K. That will show them.

NOW, if you suspend them WITHOUT pay they have no way of earning that money and therefore they lose ALL that money they would make in the games AND it will affect the team and as someone pointed out earlier makes teams as a whole work to prevent it. MUCH more effective.

I know that's how it works in the real world, but do you have a valid source saying that's what's done for sports fines as well? I'd be pretty surprised to see that people can claim a fine they are punished with in their profession as a donation.

...on second thought, nowadays... yeah, I wouldn't be too surprised.

I know that's how it works in the real world, but do you have a valid source saying that's what's done for sports fines as well? I'd be pretty surprised to see that people can claim a fine they are punished with in their profession as a donation.

...on second thought, nowadays... yeah, I wouldn't be too surprised.

There'd be no way to know for sure but you can mark down donations on your taxes and TECHNICALLY this would be a donation.

I learned this in my Sociology of Sport Class as well and my professor used to work at Ohio State as well. But if you think about it, it hurts a lot more to not even get the money then AND miss time then to have the money taken (and possibly get half of it back).

• Upvote 1