Sign in to follow this  
Glanvilles Grits

Anyone who touched Peterson will be cut.

All around NFL training camps, players are punching each other in the face with few or no repercussions. Meanwhile, in Minnesota, there is one guy who can't even be touched, under penalty of immediate job loss.

I speak of Adrian Peterson, Minnesota's superstar running back, who's recovering from surgery to repair a blown ACL and MCL. He recently returned to practice, about a month ahead of schedule, but the Vikings don't want him having any contact with anyone else just yet.

The rules were explained pretty clearly to Jamarca Sanford, a fourth-year defensive back for the Vikings. This was the tweet from Dan Wiederer, Vikings beat writer for the Star Tribune:

Jamarca Sanford on orders given to the D about Adrian Peterson: "The rules are simple. Do not touch 28. If you touch him, you're cut."

Not all NFL players are created equally. No disrespect to Jamarca Sanford, but you could pummel his face with a tire iron for about a half hour, and the coaches would probably applaud your aggressiveness.

Peterson is a protected species, though. He is the offense. He is the show.

He didn't play in the Vikings' first preseason game against San Francisco, and he won't play in the next one against Buffalo, either. There's a chance that he could see some action in the last one, though. Via the Mankato Free Press:

"We'll gauge him daily," Frazier said. "If we could get him in a game and let him get a little bit of the taste of NFL action, that would be good, but we'll see."

All the caution makes me nervous for Peterson's 2012 season. It's Aug. 15, and no Viking is allowed to breathe on him, but when the regular season rolls around, the Vikings are going to be counting on him for 350-plus ultra-violent carries? Let's just say I'm not high on the Vikings as a playoff team for 2012. I don't feel particularly good about Adrian Peterson playing 16 games, either.

Couldn't help but raise my eyebrows at this. Cutting a guy for touching another guy on a FOOTBALL field? Lol.

If a collision in practice does any more damage to APs knees, his seasona nd career are in jepoardy. And the Vikings will go as AP does this year.

its just the QB rule being applied to a HB. In practice when you are in pads if your face of the franchise gets hit, whoever hit him will probably either end up on the bench, or being cut. Unless if you are a defensive starter who can't easily be replaced or something, then you get yelled at.

He'll become target practice for the defense when he the season starts and other teams play the Viks!!!

oh man what if they're showering in the lockerroom and their hands brush when grabbing the soap?!

=O

I just hurt myself.

If they're considering cutting a guy just for touching Peterson, then Peterson had no business being on the football field. He shouldn't be out there until he's feeling 100% and can tolerate getting hit by other players. This seems incredibly lame.

Edited by PackIsBack

What if Jared Allen touched him :unsure:

:ghey:

Call Jared Allen gay if you guys want, but he'll be pounding all your quarterbacks asses this year ;)

Call Jared Allen gay if you guys want, but he'll be pounding all your quarterbacks asses this year ;)

I'm not sure if you meant this or not

Edited by Romo
  • Upvote 1

Adrian Peterson - RB - Vikings

Aug 22 - 8:28 AM

The no-contact ban in practice on Adrian Peterson (knee) is expected to be lifted soon.

Peterson received 18 carries during the full-team portion of Monday's practice, but the Vikings' defenders still aren't touching him. The good news is that Peterson experienced no problems or side effects the day after those 18 carries. We're anxious to see how he responds once he starts taking hits. "When bodies fall down in front of him, how does he handle that? Does he stop and plant as the Adrian of old, or does he just come to a standstill where he's liable to taking a really serious hit?" coach Leslie Frazier pondered.

Source: Associated Press

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football

Aug 23 - 8:18 PM

ESPN's Chris Mortensen confirms Adrian Peterson (knee) will experience contact in next week's practices.

It's the next best thing to seeing game action, as Peterson has to get used to taking hits in order to get into regular-season form. All signs continue to be positive in Peterson's return from reconstructive surgery.

Source: Chris Mortensen on Twitter

http://www.rotoworld.com/default.aspx?rw=1

I'd still love for Jared Allen or one of the other big time Viks players to smash him and then be like "you mad bro" at Leslie Frazier

• Upvote 1

Aug 27 - 7:04 PM

Adrian Peterson (knee) took hits in Vikings practice for the first time on Monday.

"We put him through some things today," coach Leslie Frazier said. "We told our defense to hit him a little bit and wanted to see how he responded." Frazier also confirmed AP's rehab has remained setback free. "He hasn't had any swelling or any soreness. Everything has gone relatively smoothly at this point." AP is on track for a limited workload in Week 1.

Source: ESPN 1500 Twin Cities

http://www.rotoworld.com/default.aspx?rw=1

This is what I like to hear.

Aug 27 - 7:04 PM

This is what I like to hear.

+1