Sign in to follow this  
Milla4Prez63

2012 Buccaneers season thread

No doubt that Lavonte and McCoy are the biggest differences makers for our defense. Could probably add Mark Barron to that also...

Edited by BucD

I could say that Mark Barron is easily the best player on your guys' defense and that he scares the shit out of me for when the Falcons need to face the Bucs.

Barron's been great but I get the feeling his big hits has caused people to overrate his play a bit. He's pretty suspect in pass coverage as most figured he would be as a rookie, which is one of a few reasons why we're I think 31st in pass coverage right now.

Meanwhile Gerald has yet to put up a poor performance and is easily the best player on the team, not just the defense. I'd argue he's been the best DT in the league so far, and if anyone would rate him outside of the top-3 right now they obviously haven't watched him play much. I know after the first 4 weeks he made more plays behind the LoS than any other lineman in the NFC. Even when he hasn't put up a bunch of stats he's still putting tons of pressure on QB's while also clogging up running lanes. A big reason why Foster, Lavonte, and Barron have been able to make great plays against the run can also be attributed to Gerald not giving RB's many choices as to where they can go.

Agreed with Shotgun. McCoy is definitely the difference maker for our defense and our best player. Hell, he's even making Roy Miller look good.

Pretty sure I heard yesterday that our defense has created the most negative plays (TFL, sacks) in the NFL. A big reason for that is Gerald McCoy.

Anyways, another thing I wanted to say is that I think Vincent Jackson is my new favorite Buc. The dude is a monster. Love having a WR like that and he is a class act. I think he's really helped MW develop too.

Oh yea, and lol at Milla for making fun of me when I wanted Underwood on the team over Preston Parker. :troll:

Edited by GoodellFTL

People need to start giving Roy Miller some credit too, that dude is night and day better this year. Also Mason Foster is a freaking beast so glad we didnt draft Luke now.

People need to start giving Roy Miller some credit too, that dude is night and day better this year. Also Mason Foster is a freaking beast so glad we didnt draft Luke now.

Yep, I was one of his biggest haters this off-season and I wanted him cut. Glad to see that he's making me eat my crow. He's been solid, same with Gray Gibson. And Foster has been great so far. Hopefully he can keep it up because started off good last year too then started to play worse as the season went on.

Barron isn't even the best rookie on our defense, IMO. Lavonte David has been pretty damn awesome. But both are playing well.

Yeah David is a monster. Whoever is blowing the coverage in the middle of the field needs to stop though. Teams have been killing us with that alone.

Yeah, I was talking about David. Ayways, in response to GFTL, you are correct. We lead the NFL in negative plays for opposing offenses. McCoy is absolutely blowing up plays inside, forcing backs to bounce it out, with little room for their blockers to help them. Luckily we know have an athletic enough linebacking core that can take advantage, use their speed to pursue and most importantly, wrap up and make the damn tackle.

We do need work in our secondary though. We've gone from having one of the leagues best pass defenses to being one of the worst. We've flipped the run defense from worst to one of the best but we need to get that balance. Not sure if its lack of personal or just execution.

Our Pass D isn't as bad as it seems. We're ranked #12 in the NFL I believe in QB Rating, at like 79.2 or something.

Our Pass D isn't as bad as it seems. We're ranked #12 in the NFL I believe in QB Rating, at like 79.2 or something.

Yeah but we are the worst ranked pass defense in the NFL lol.

Yeah but we are the worst ranked pass defense in the NFL lol.

We've given up a lot of 20+ and 40+ plays which has helped put the pass D at #25 in yards allowed but they're still only #12 in points allowed, which really is the part that matters most. A ton of those yards/points have come in the 4th quarter after they've been tired out by the offense not being able to stay on the field as well, so with that put into consideration our pass D has actually played surprisingly well. Certainly better than I thought they would be. If the offense played to their potential I think the defense would be ranked quite a bit higher than they are.

@PewterReport:

Bucs waived DE Markus White, clearing the way for Da'Quan Bowers to be off the PUP and join the active roster. Bowers could play on Sunday.

:rock:

Hope we don't rush anything, our DL has looked great without him.

Hope we don't rush anything, our DL has looked great without him.

:yeahthat:

I'd LOVE to have Bowers back, but I'd HATE to rush him back and see him get hurt again.

Great news that Bowers might play Sunday.

Mason Foster has been great this season IMO, along with Barron, David, and McCoy.

The Bucs had an open spot on the roster and they filled it Saturday by promoting CB LeQuan Lewis from the practice squad.
Guess that means no Bowers tomorrow? Edited by Franchise 5

Guess that means no Bowers tomorrow?

Probably. Never heard of the guy we picked up. Let's hope he's not related to Myron Lewis. :troll:

Probably. Never heard of the guy we picked up. Let's hope he's not related to Myron Lewis. :troll:

Yeah lol, he'll probably be inactive anyway.

I see played in a game against us this year. He was on the Cowboys roster.