housemd

Rashard Mendenhall might play vs Raiders

PITTSBURGH -- Rashard Mendenhall's surgically repaired right knee feels so good, the Pittsburgh Steelers running back isn't even wearing so much as an ace bandage over it when he practices.

"I put a sleeve on for a day and didn't like it," Mendenhall said. "I feel better without anything on it."

The 25-year-old hardly looked like he needed one on Wednesday. Asked by coach Mike Tomlin to knock Mendenhall around a little bit, Pittsburgh's defense obliged by getting a couple of shots in during their one padded workout of the week.

How it'd feel?

"It was cool," Mendenhall said. "I was all good."

And -- the Steelers hope -- their running game will be too.

Though it's still uncertain whether Mendenhall will be ready to play on Sunday when the Steelers (1-1) travel to Oakland (0-2), there's little doubt he's inching closer to a return barely nine months removed from surgery to repair the ACL he tore in last year's regular season finale against Cleveland.

"He looked fast," offensive guard Willie Colon said. "Everything I saw was a good sign."

Pittsburgh could certainly use a healthy Mendenhall to help take some of the pressure off quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

The Steelers rank 30th in the NFL in rushing with just 141 yards through the season's first two weeks and are averaging an anemic 2.6 yards per carry. Nearly 20 percent of their 54 running plays have gone for negative yardage, though Roethlisberger and one of the league's top receiving corps has helped Pittsburgh control the ball for more than 35 minutes a game behind some third-down heroics.

Mendenhall's presence means they might not have to.

He narrowly missed his third straight 1,000-yard season last fall due in part to a slightly decreased workload and an awkward step against Cleveland on New Year's Day when he tried to plant while trying to cut back near the sideline only to have his knee buckle.

Asked if he believes he can play on Sunday against the Raiders, Mendenhall shrugged his shoulders and said "possibly," while remaining vague about what exactly it will take for him to get cleared.

"When there's a green light," Mendenhall said, "that's what I'm preparing for."

Well the Raiders always have a terrible run D so he won't even be really needed. Certainly the Steelers need to improve on the ground from a week ago.

I would like to see what Dwyer could do with a gull work load and not splitting carries.

As to Mendenhall, he has been solid but nothing special. He has the potential to be a great back I just havent seen him put it together yet.

I would like to see what Dwyer could do with a gull work load and not splitting carries.

As to Mendenhall, he has been solid but nothing special. He has the potential to be a great back I just havent seen him put it together yet.

It's hard for any of our backs to play well behind a line that is incapable of blocking.

Through the last 3 seasons and 43 starts, he's averaged 4.1 YPC, amassed 3,309 yards, scored 29 TDs, and has been a decent receiving option as well.

His career looks very similar to Steven Jackson's at this point. And Jackson had some decent guys to run behind in his early career.

CapturegfsdgfPNG_zps8865b61b.png

Capture_zpsfaac21a0.png

It's hard for any of our backs to play well behind a line that is incapable of blocking.

Through the last 3 seasons and 43 starts, he's averaged 4.1 YPC, amassed 3,309 yards, scored 29 TDs, and has been a decent receiving option as well.

His career looks very similar to Steven Jackson's at this point. And Jackson had some decent guys to run behind in his early career.

CapturegfsdgfPNG_zps8865b61b.png

Capture_zpsfaac21a0.png

Ok this is true about the O line. I am not saying he sucks but I remember Maycok being super high on the guy. I just thought he was going to dominate more than he has. Like I said though I still think he is a solid RB. With O line considered though I will retract my statement and say he is a very solid back.

Mendy would be pimp with a half decent oline. Great to hear he's back at practice without any bandaging or anything. Hopefully he's back in action very soon.

If this happens my fantasy lineup is even more fucked lol. I have Redman as my No. 2 until Forte is healthy.

Mendenhall should be starting after the bye week. He's been full contact at practices and looking great (According to press) every day in and out of cuts. He's going to be fine when he comes back. I think putting him out there after the bye is just precautionary at this point.

Update:

Rashard Mendenhall expects to make his season debut with the Pittsburgh Steelers in Sunday's game against the Philadelphia Eagles. "I've been patient and just kind of increasing what I'm able do,"Mendenhall said following Wednesday's practice. "The next step would be a game, and I'm confident in doing that." Mendenhall tore his ACL in the 2011 regular-season finale against the Cleveland Browns. Coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday that Mendenhall, Troy Polamalu and James Harrison would play Sunday. The Steelers are ranked No. 31 in rushing this season. Football fantasy owners will likely want to still wait a week before starting Mendenhall.

Rashard Mendenhall - RB - Steelers

Oct 5 - 1:00 PM

Citing team sources, ESPN's Ed Werder indicated that Rashard Mendenhall (probable, knee) will be eased back into the lineup in Week 5 before carrying the mail in Pittsburgh's backfield the rest of the season.

Mendenhall practiced fully all week and is listed as probable to play against the Eagles. Per Werder, "They're gonna acclimate him to the game, and then they're gonna ride him the rest of the season." Mendenhall would be a dicey Week 5 flex against Philly's stout run defense, but owners who plucked him off the early-season scrap heap may be looking savvy by the end of the month.

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football-player-news

I know he's being "eased" back into work with the Steelers, but I think he grabs at least a short yardage touchdown today. From everything I have read out of Pittsburgh it seems like the coaches there are pretty confident that he's completely ready to go.

Mendenhall looks like he is right back in the form he was in when he was injured. Looking great in and out of his cuts.