Vin

Seahawks @ Rams

Lost amid the Seattle Seahawks' controversial win earlier this week is how well they've been playing defensively.

That doesn't bode well for a St. Louis Rams team coming off its worst offensive performance of the young season.

Seattle goes for its fourth consecutive victory over the Rams on Sunday in St. Louis.

Looking to build on a 27-7 victory over Dallas in Week 2, Seattle improved to 2-1 on Monday night with a 14-12 home win over Green Bay. Golden Tate's 24-yard touchdown catch as time ran out came after a lengthy review by replacement officials, who ruled that Packers safety M.D. Jennings did not intercept the ball thrown by rookie Russell Wilson, even though the video seemed to show otherwise.

The NFL issued a statement Tuesday that Tate should have been whistled for offensive interference for pushing Sam Shields before wrestling with Jennings for the ball, but that there wasn't indisputable evidence to reverse Tate's second TD of the game.

"They called it and the league backed it up and game over, we win," coach Pete Carroll said Tuesday during his weekly appearance on a Seattle radio station.

The Seahawks, who last opened 3-1 in 2007, may have been the beneficiary of a botched call, but there's no debate about how well they've played defensively.

They're giving up a league-low 13.0 points per game and are fifth in the NFL with 10 sacks. Eight of those came against Green Bay, with four by NFC defensive player of the week Chris Clemons and two apiece from rookie Bruce Irvin and Brandon Mebane.

"I don't know how (Clemons) gets four sacks in one half," Carroll told the Seahawks' official website. "A tremendous job by those guys - and the two edge guys rushing, they feed off one another."

The Seahawks will face a patchwork Rams offensive line that's started a different combination in each game and won't have center Scott Wells (broken foot) and tackle Rodger Saffold (knee) back for several weeks.

St. Louis' Sam Bradford was sacked a season-high six times in a 23-6 loss at Chicago last Sunday, when the Rams (1-2) totaled a season-low 160 yards.

"We're going to have another week to work together and we'll continue to do the same things that we've been doing with these guys," said coach Jeff Fisher, whose team allowed just two sacks a week earlier in a 31-28 home win over Washington. "You coach them up. You put them in position where you think they can be successful and then you've got to adjust."

Bradford has had to adjust to the lack of protection, as 87 of his 95 passing attempts have not been thrown farther than 20 yards.

Danny Amendola could test the Seahawks' secondary - he's second in the league in receptions with 25 and tied for third with 296 yards - but Rams running back Steven Jackson could be slowed with a groin injury. After missing the final three quarters against the Redskins, Jackson totaled 29 yards on 11 carries last Sunday.

"I just wish I could have been more productive and help my team win," he said.

The Seahawks have leaned heavily on Marshawn Lynch - his 72 carries are second in the NFL and his 305 yards lead the NFC - as they've tried to ease Wilson into the league. Seattle has the fewest passing attempts (75) and passing yards (383) in the NFL.

"When (Lynch) does go down, he's getting tackled, he's not getting hit," Fisher said. "That implies that he's either, one, delivering the blow or, two, he's got great vision."

Lynch ran for 203 yards and two scores as Seattle posted two victories over the Rams last season, including 24-7 on the road Nov. 20.

The Seahawks have lost just once in their last seven visits to St. Louis, 20-3 on Oct, 3, 2010. That is the Rams' only victory in the last 14 matchups.

Copyright 2012 by STATS LLC and The Associated Press.

Edited by Vin

The Seahawks aren't going to get more lucky breaks like that. Against the Rams, they might not need a lucky break. When the NFC West plays, expect a hard fought defensive showdown, every team in this division has some really scary players on that side of the ball. I'll say 13-6 Seahawks.

I will take the Seahawks but i expect it to be a competitive game unless one of the defenses score a lot of points.

Carroll said they held LB Leroy Hill out of practice again today but plan on him playing Sunday.

#Seahawks Injuries: DOUBTFUL: G John Moffitt (knee). QUESTIONABLE: LB Hill (calf), DT Howard (foot), TE McCoy (groin).

#Seahawks Injuries: PROBABLE: T Giacomini (pectoral), DT Jones (knee), DT Scruggs (wrist), WR Baldwin (shoulder), CB Maxwell (hamstring)

Edited by Sacks98

The Seahawks aren't going to get more lucky breaks like that. Against the Rams, they might not need a lucky break. When the NFC West plays, expect a hard fought defensive showdown, every team in this division has some really scary players on that side of the ball. I'll say 13-6 Seahawks.

We don't need lucky breaks. We manhandled the Pack all game, and if it had been called right the Pack likely never get more than a fieldgoal ahead meaning we never have to force the ball into the endzone like we did. Game most likely ends 10-9 Seahawks.

That's last week though. This week we play the Rams who are by far the weakest team we've played so far. No offense to them, but after the Cards, Cowboys, and Packers, there is no reason we should lose to the Rams as long as we keep playing smart, clean, football like we have been. The Rams have a good defense, yes, but it's by no means on the level of the defenses we've played so far. They won't be able to consistantly pressure Russel Wilson or shut down our recievers every play. I see Wilson and the offense finally getting their feet under them this game, and putting up some points. Not Alot of points mind you, but some points.

As for the Rams. If we can shut down the Green Bay and Dallas offenses, I see no reaosn why we can't do the saem here. That said, We are on the road, and that always makes me nervous. The Rams could suprise us and get some things going, but I don't see them getting far. This shouldn't be a complete squash match, but I think we at least pull this one out convincingly by say.. a margin of 10 points or so. I'd say final score something like 23-13 Seahawks.

Edited by Jayrus

Getting 2 INT's called back is a pretty big deal, the Packers got hosed by the refs, I'd call that a lucky break regardless of the score. And the Rams corners against the Seahawks receivers is not a favourable matchup for the Hawks at all. Cortland Finnegan and Bradley Fletcher are both playing incredibly well this year.

Getting 2 INT's called back is a pretty big deal, the Packers got hosed by the refs, I'd call that a lucky break regardless of the score. And the Rams corners against the Seahawks receivers is not a favourable matchup for the Hawks at all. Cortland Finnegan and Bradley Fletcher are both playing incredibly well this year.

By 2 Ints I assume you're counting the final call in that. The other one was their own fault. Also, as I said, the Packers weren't the only ones getting "hosed" so stop acting like the whole game went against them. The refs screwed us several times as well, but funny how nobody ever mentions that. The Packers got their only TD on a bogus PI. I won't even pretend the last call wasn't blown, but don't you dare try to feed me any bullshit about how the Seahawks were only ever in that game because of the refs. If anyone got lucky it was the Pack. If the game was called right the Seahawks still win. They probably win it by even more since the Pack don't get a free TD and they don't get the refs helping them stop our offense with crap calls.

As for Cortland Finnegan and Bradley Fletcher? Yeah, I'm sure they're much more dangerous than Arizona's corners.... or Dallas's... or Green Bay's... I'm not saying they won't slow us down or anything. Let's face it, our recievers blow, but they certainly won't be able to shut us down. We can and will move the ball against St. Louis.

Edited by Jayrus

Rams should give them a good fight since it is in St. Louis, but I still think the Seahawks will be able to pull this one out.

I thought besides that bogus TD the Reffing was terrible on both sides.

Marshawn Lynch will move the ball against St. Louis*

Russel Wilson just has to sit there and look pretty while he throws maybe 6 times a quarter.

I see the Seahawks corners squaring up pretty good against the Rams WRs. I also see the Rams corners doing good against the Seahawks. But I think Marshawn is the difference maker in this game.

:Seahawks: 20

:Rams: 16

Better defense should win, so St Lo... only kidding Seattle. Hawks should win.

Seahawks declared RG John Moffitt, WR Charly Martin, S Winston Guy, CB Danny Gorrer, CB Bryon Maxwell, DT Jaye Howard and DT Alan Branch inactive for Week 4 against the Rams.

G/T James Carpenter (knee) is active, and will be making his 2012 debut. Otherwise, it's a quiet week for the Seahawks, who enter the quarter pole as one of the league's healthier teams. Carpenter could see heavy snaps in Moffitt's place at right guard, though he could also spell banged-up RT Breno Giacomini (pectoral).

Rams declared WR Steve Smith and RB Isaiah Pead inactive for Week 4 against the Seahawks.

Both players are healthy scratches after never appearing on the Week 4 injury report. Smith has just five catches for 70 yards after creating a decent amount of buzz in camp, while Pead has yet to notch a carry and proven shaky on returns. Second-round pick Brian Quick is active in Smith's place, while undrafted rookie Terrance Ganaway will back-up Steven Jackson and Daryl Richardson.

Also inactive for the Rams are QB Austin Davis, DT Matt Conrath, OT Rodger Saffold, S Matt Daniels and DT Jermell Cudjo.

Razor tipped at this already, but... Russel Wilson needs to be strapped down and not allowed to throw more than like 10 times. I think he has the potential to be a huge detriment to the Seahawks. Run Marshawn 30 times, throw it 10-15 times... Let your defense kill Bradford.

Seahawks - 13

Rams - 10

• Upvote 1

An entertaining defensive slugfest, the Seahawks prove they don't need officials to win a tight game. Not today, anyway.

:Seahawks: 16

:Rams: 13

• Upvote 1

Seahawks D are starting to get into a rhythm, as the Rams offensive line is showing their scrubbery. Still, Zeurlein just nailed a 58 yard field goal.

7-3 Seahawks

Go Rams I guess.

*throws up*

Russel Wilson throwing this game away...

I love Russell Wilson and think he will be a stud in this league, but I have something to say that I've been pondering. Is he doing and seeing all of the things a veteran like Matt Flynn would see? With how much trouble Seattle has putting the ball in the endzone, I have to think QB play has something to do with that. Is he efficient? Yes. Does he make some plays? Yes, but I refuse to blame the WR corps entirely for the struggles of this offense. This team is good enough to be 3-0 right now, and going on 4-0, but do you want take the chance of losing to a team like the Rams because of Quarterback play? I'm seeing way too much of Jon Ryan, right now.

For what the Seahawks offense is doing, Flynn would be doing it so much better. I guess they aren't particularly worried about right now, and want to make Wilson as prepared as possible for the future by slowly bringing him along.

For what the Seahawks offense is doing, Flynn would be doing it so much better. I guess they aren't particularly worried about right now, and want to make Wilson as prepared as possible for the future by slowly bringing him along.

Yeah, but they just lost a game they had no business losing. That's the problem. It's not that the kid isn't developing and on his way to being great, it's that they're potentially endangering their playoff chances by losing games like this.

Wow, the Rams pull off the upset. The Seahawks prove once again that they cannot win on the road. They are a completely different team on the road than they are at home. Unbelievable.

This also proves that the Rams are a much improved team from last year and can compete. Don't look now, but the NFC West may be the most competitive division in football.

Wow, the Rams pull off the upset. The Seahawks prove once again that they cannot win on the road. They are a completely different team on the road than they are at home. Unbelievable.

This also proves that the Rams are a much improved team from last year and can compete. Don't look now, but the NFC West may be the most competitive division in football.

I don't think so, really. Bradford doesn't have enough weapons and Jackson is already gimpy. They lose SJax for any serious amount of time and they probably go on a losing streak.

This particular game had nothing to do with Wilson. Play calling predictable, receivers falling down, nobody worth throwing to, the blocking was terrible, and he has hit on his first 2 interceptions. The 3rd interception was on McCoy for falling down.

This particular game had nothing to do with Wilson. Play calling predictable, receivers falling down, nobody worth throwing to, the blocking was terrible, and he has hit on his first 2 interceptions. The 3rd interception was on McCoy for falling down.

Either way, y'all aren't finding the endzone. That needs to change or this will be one of the most drastically underachieving teams I've ever seen.