Vin

Pats @ Seahawks

With Tom Brady under center and a thriving ground game, the New England Patriots' offense is clicking on all cylinders.

In contrast, while the Seattle Seahawks haven't moved the ball with much consistency, their defensive unit ranks as arguably the best in the league.

Something has to give Sunday when the high-scoring Patriots square off against a stingy Seahawks team looking to open 3-0 at home for the second time in three seasons.

Alone atop the AFC East, New England (3-2) is averaging NFL highs of 33.0 points and 439.4 yards. While those numbers aren't much of a surprise with Brady directing the offense, much of the Patriots' success is due to a well-balanced attack.

New England's 165.4 rushing yards per game rank third in the league and their league-best 10 TDs on the ground are two more than Brady's thrown.

"We're getting a lot of nickel defense," Brady said. "When they put little guys out there (in the secondary), we have to take advantage of it. I think we're playing definitely a more physical style and controlling the tempo of the game by running the football. We have to keep doing it. It's only been five games.

"You can't just throw it all day. You can't just run it all day. You have to be able to do both."

After running for 247 yards during a 52-28 win at Buffalo in Week 4, the Patriots gashed Denver for 251 last Sunday in a 31-21 victory - marking their first back-to-back 200-yard efforts since 1978. Running back Stevan Ridley led the way with a career-high 151 yards and a touchdown while Brady threw for a season-low 223 yards with a TD.

"A lot of people key on (Brady) and our running back group has to get some pressure off him so he can be the quarterback he can be," said Ridley, who ranks fifth in the league with 490 rushing yards. "If they're sitting back there staring Brady in the face every play, we can't be a one-dimensional offense."

The surging Patriots, though, could be in for a tough test against Seattle (3-2), which is surrendering a league-low 258.6 yards per game and ranks second in points allowed (14.0).

"I think it will be a great challenge for us this week ... against a defense that's really, really playing well," offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels said.

"They're fast. The secondary is big, fast - I would describe them as long. They get their hands on a lot of balls. Even though they're younger, I would say they have a lot of experience playing together. They're all good tacklers."

The Seahawks turned the ball over three times but delivered another superb defensive display last Sunday at Carolina, giving up a season-low 190 yards in a 16-12 win.

"Most teams, after three turnovers, something would go wrong. But our defense held on and fought hard and we stayed true to what we were there to do and finished the game really well," said Seahawks coach Pete Carroll, who spent three seasons at the helm in New England from 1997-99.

"I love seeing that we played so well and so tough on defense."

Seattle has been especially hard on opposing offenses at CenturyLink Field, where it beat Dallas 27-7 on Sept. 16 before handing Green Bay a 14-12 defeat eight days later thanks to some help from a controversial touchdown call by the replacement referees on the last play of the game.

"I think it might be the loudest stadium that we've been in and we're in a lot of loud ones," Patriots coach Bill Belichick said. "... It's a huge home field advantage for them."

While their defensive efforts leave little to be desired, the Seahawks - last in the NFL at 163.0 passing yards per game - surely need rookie Russell Wilson to pick up the pace.

Wilson failed to top 160 passing yards in each of his first four games before throwing for 221 with a touchdown and two interceptions last weekend. His mediocre play has led many to question whether backup Matt Flynn might be better suited to lead the offense.

"I use it as fire," Wilson, who's been picked off five times in his last two games, told the team's official website. "I ignore the noise all the time, but at the same time I know that I have to get better."

New England had dropped five straight to Seattle before taking the last two matchups, most recently winning 24-21 on the road Dec. 7, 2008.

Copyright 2012 by STATS LLC and The Associated Press.

Edited by Vin

Seahawks have a good defense, but they could get exposed in this matchup. Russel Wilson is going to make some HUGE plays in this one to secure a victory, and that just isn't what Seattle wants.

Patriots - 31

Seahawks - 21

:Patriots: 27

:Seahawks: 13

Good defense beats good offense. It is true in all sports.

:Seahawks: 17

:Patriots: 14

The Pats will either win big or the 'Hawks will win close.

Seahawks declared RG John Moffitt, WR Charly Martin, SS Winston Guy, CB Danny Gorrer, CB Jeremy Lane, DT Clinton McDonald and DT Jaye Howard inactive for Week 6 against the Patriots.

Marshawn Lynch was limited in Wednesday's practice for rest purposes, but was full go on both Thursday and Friday. He's ready to go against the Patriots' top-10 run defense. Pat McQuistan is making another start in Moffitt's absence. Moffitt remains week-to-week.

Aaron Hernandez (ankle) is active for Week 6 against the Seahawks.

As is Rob Gronkowski (hip). The Pats didn't utter a peep on Hernandez's status all week, but the Boston Globe reported Saturday he'll likely be featured in a "limited role." It's not an ideal fantasy situation, but even in a "limited role," it's hard to recommend benching Hernandez unless you have a surefire TE1 alternative.

Inactive for the Patriots are WR Julian Edelman, LB Dont'a Hightower, DE Jake Bequette, TE Michael Hoomanawanui, G/C Matt Tennant, FS Steve Gregory and LB Tracy White.

Just knocked off the #1 offense in the league. Wilson finally gets to throw the ball deep and has a huge day :rock: :rock: :rock:

Thanks for picking us to win, nobody :rock:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just knocked off the #1 offense in the league. Wilson finally gets to throw the ball deep and has a huge day :rock: :rock: :rock:

Good defense beats good offense. It is true in all sports.

:Seahawks: 17

:Patriots: 14

;)

• Upvote 1

Completing deep balls against the Pats is pretty easy.

Our defense is straight up terrible. What an absolute joke it is.

Brady played like shit in the 2nd half too.

Edited by BradyFan81

We played like absolute shit too in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. 23-10 was the score going into the 4th. And yeah you're right, Pats aren't really that good either. Not impressive.

• Upvote 1

Pats @ Seahawks

Pats @ Seahawks

Pats @ Seahawks

Pats @ Seahawks

Pats @ Seahawks

Pats @ Seahawks

Seahawk fans need to get out of the mentality that everyone thinks they're shit (at home).

And our defense has been a lot better than last year. Sure our secondary is still shit and gives up big plays from time to time, but in 2 out of our 3 losses, our defense has been great (Cardinals and Seahawks).

Don't blame the defense for Brady's shortcomings.

• Upvote 2

Seahawk fans need to get out of the mentality that everyone thinks they're shit (at home).

And our defense has been a lot better than last year. Sure our secondary is still shit and gives up big plays from time to time, but in 2 out of our 3 losses, our defense has been great (Cardinals and Seahawks).

Don't blame the defense for Brady's shortcomings.

Did you just say the Pats defense was great today........

Ummm...

Wow...

I...I don't know what to say to that...

10 points in the first half and then 2 random fucking deep balls that put them on top.

2 turnovers. If Brady put points on the board, people would be agreeing.

Edited by funnygunny

Why is anyone acting like this was a huge surprise? Did anyone besides trolls honestly think the Patriots were going to come into Seattle and blow out the Seahawks?

I expected the Patriots to win, but I expected it to be damn close.

Well-played by Seattle, a great game to watch as a fan of neither team, for sure.

• Upvote 2

10 points in the first half and then 2 random fucking deep balls that put them on top.

2 turnovers. If Brady put points on the board, people would be agreeing.

They weren't random, it was terrible coverage. I don't know how you can chalk up 2 huge plays to being random; they weren't random, they were huge plays in the game that caused us to lose.

Yes, Brady should've put more points on the board but remember the Seahawks have the best defense in the NFL statistically too. The offense did enough to win, our D should've done better against this god awful Seahawks offense. There's no excuses for allowing Russell Wilson to have 3 TDs, 300+ yards and a 130 passer rating. That's a disgrace.

Edited by BradyFan81