Vin

Cowboys @ Panthers

After dominating in many ways in their latest loss, the Dallas Cowboys can't afford to dwell on their late-game blunders.

Dallas will try to avoid its first three-game losing streak since 2010 on Sunday when it visits the struggling Carolina Panthers.

Alone in last place in the NFC East, Dallas (2-3) is looking to forget about last Sunday's 31-29 defeat in Baltimore. Despite having the ball at the Baltimore 34 with 26 seconds left and a timeout remaining, the Cowboys managed only a 1-yard pass play and watched the seconds tick away before missing a 51-yard field goal.

"I know we missed the field goal and how close that was and how precious yardage was at the end of the day," wide receiver Kevin Ogletree said. "So getting back to the line of scrimmage, maybe getting the play called, I think this will all be great for us going forward in learning a lesson."

Dallas outgained the Ravens 481-316 and held the ball for more than 40 minutes.

"We make it abundantly clear that there are no such things as moral victories," coach Jason Garrett said. "This is a bottom-line business and we need to win ball games."

After running for 227 yards in Baltimore, Dallas will have to get its ground game going without leading rusher DeMarco Murray. The second-year starter is expected to miss Sunday's contest after suffering a sprained left foot against the Ravens.

Felix Jones, who had 92 yards rushing last week in his first extended action of 2012, is likely to get the majority of the carries.

Quarterback Tony Romo should have a chance to make some big plays against a Panthers defense that ranks 13th in the NFC with 377.0 yards allowed per game. Romo has thrown for 1,409 yards and completed 67.4 percent of his attempts, but leads the NFC with nine interceptions and trails only Browns rookie Brandon Weeden (10) for tops in the NFL.

Six of those have come in the team's two games in October, a month that's become a nightmare for the Cowboys. They're 1-9 in their last 10 in October.

Dallas has fared better against the Panthers (1-4), winning eight straight in the regular-season series and all four in Charlotte. The Cowboys have lost twice at Bank of America Stadium in the playoffs.

The Panthers, meanwhile, have had two weeks to fix an offense that's produced only 10 points in their last two home games. Cam Newton finished with career lows in completion percentage (41.4) and passing yards (141) in a 16-12 loss to the Seahawks on Oct. 7, with Carolina's only touchdown coming on a Captain Munnerlyn interception return.

Among NFC starters, Newton is ahead of only Tampa Bay's Josh Freeman and Seattle's Russell Wilson with 1,154 passing yards. He ranks higher than only Chicago's Jay Cutler and Freeman in the conference rankings with a 58.8 completion percentage.

Even with the trio of DeAngelo Williams, Jonathan Stewart and Mike Tolbert in the backfield, the Panthers are tied for 12th in the NFC in rushing attempts (128) and 10th in rushing yards (570). Newton leads the team on the ground with 209 yards and three touchdowns on 40 carries.

Getting the offense turned around could be difficult against a Dallas defense that leads the NFL in passing yards allowed per game (181.6) and ranks second in total yards (285.2). The Cowboys have given up more than 30 points in each of their last two games, though three of those TDs came with the defense on the sidelines.

Committing to the ground game figures to be key if the Panthers want to avoid a fourth straight loss. They're 7-1 when they run the ball 28 times or more since Newton's been under center, and 0-13 when they carry it 27 times or fewer.

"We have a sense of urgency," Tolbert said. "We don't have any more bye weeks. We're here, in this locker room, throughout the rest of the year. So we have to come out now and get a win."

Copyright 2012 by STATS LLC and The Associated Press.

Edited by Vin

If we get Spencer back, I'm comfortable that we'll contain Newton. If not...ouch, but Dallas should still win this game.

Then again, should win means so little in the NFL.

:Cowboys: 27

:panthers: 16

:think: This game is a bit of a pain to guess, given Dallas's bad habit of late-game mistakes. Still, my gut says go with the Cowboys this week so:

:Cowboys: 26

:panthers: 20

Committing to the ground game figures to be key if the Panthers want to avoid a fourth straight loss. They're 7-1 when they run the ball 28 times or more since Newton's been under center, and 0-13 when they carry it 27 times or fewer.

And in other news, that thing above your mouth is called your nose.

I mean, come on. The coaches have got to run the ball. Newton is being made to feel like he has to do it all, and games like the Atlanta one just reinforce it. This leads to mental errors, which leads to bad throws. Take the pressure off of your second-year QB, and run the damn ball. Line up Tolbert and Stewart in the I-formation, and pound it.

And for gods sake, use the read option as something to break up the rhythm, not as a major part of our offense.

Carolina has their backs to the wall and they know it. Cam needs to settle down, take what the defense gives him, and quit trying to force things to Steve Smith if isn't there.

This is going to be all the more important, because without Chris Gamble, Ryan Kalil, and probably Jon Beason, three of our best players, (perhaps even our three best players), everytime we have a chance to score, we have to capitalize on it. There can be no turnovers in enemy territory. We can't settle for FGs inside the redzone either.

Honestly, I don't see Carolina winning this one, but if they play like they did against Atlanta, they could pull off the upset.

Edited by Thanatos19

And in other news, that thing above your mouth is called your nose.

I mean, come on. The coaches have got to run the ball. Newton is being made to feel like he has to do it all, and games like the Atlanta one just reinforce it. This leads to mental errors, which leads to bad throws. Take the pressure off of your second-year QB, and run the damn ball. Line up Tolbert and Stewart in the I-formation, and pound it.

And for gods sake, use the read option as something to break up the rhythm, not as a major part of our offense.

Carolina has their backs to the wall and they know it. Cam needs to settle down, take what the defense gives him, and quit trying to force things to Steve Smith if isn't there.

This is going to be all the more important, because without Chris Gamble, Ryan Kalil, and probably Jon Beason, three of our best players, (perhaps even our three best players), everytime we have a chance to score, we have to capitalize on it. There can be no turnovers in enemy territory. We can't settle for FGs inside the redzone either.

Honestly, I don't see Carolina winning this one, but if they play like they did against Atlanta, they could pull off the upset.

I do agree that the Panthers should run the ball more, but in all fairness, that is kind of a skewed stat. Teams run the ball more when they are winning and trying to run out the clock so that is a stat that looks similar for almost every team in the league.

Anyways, I like Dallas in this game, but it wouldn't surprise me if the Panthers won.

Injury update:

Coach Ron Rivera said starting middle linebacker Jon Beason (knee) is "very doubtful" to play against the Cowboys.

Dallas Cowboys running back DeMarco Murray was officially ruled out with a foot injury, which does not come as a surprise. What is a surprise is that wide receiver Dez Bryant did not practice on Friday due to a groin injury that has him listed as "questionable" for Sunday's game against the Carolina Panthers.

Bryant will test his leg during pregame warm-ups, but reports out of Dallas on Saturday are that the team expects him to be able to play. Outside linebacker Anthony Spencer is also "questionable" with a shoulder injury that has kept him out of the last two weeks.

The Panthers will be without cornerback Chris Gamble, who could wind up on injured reserve after re-injuring his shoulder on Wednesday. Middle linebacker Jon Beason missed practice all week and is "doubtful" to play against the Cowboys.

The #Cowboys have ruled out C Ryan Cook (hamstring) for Sunday's game against the #Panthers.

With DeMarco Murray out, how many carries do you guys think their backup to Felix Jones, Phillip Tanner, will get?

:Cowboys: 23

:panthers: 20

Panthers declared MLB Jon Beason and LCB Chris Gamble inactive for Week 7 against the Cowboys.

Rookie Luke Kuechly will make another start in Beason's place at middle linebacker while Captain Munnerlyn fills in for Gamble. Gamble's absence is excellent news for banged-up Cowboys WR Dez Bryant.

Also inactive for the Panthers are WR Joe Adams, QB Jimmy Clausen, C Thomas Austin, DT Frank Kearse and S D.J. Campbell.

Dez Bryant (groin) is active for Week 7 against the Panthers.

Bryant reportedly may even return punts, a strong sign his groin ailment is a minor issue.

Inactive for the Cowboys are RB DeMarco Murray, DE Sean Lissemore, P Chris Jones, FS Matt Johnson, OLB Kyle Wilber, WR Cole Beasley and G David Arkin. "Fragile" Felix Jones will get the start in place of Murray. Despite his lengthy injury history, he's Rotoworld's No. 13 running back in a strong matchup.

Just got picked <_<

Fucking retarded refereeing at the end of this game.

Both teams played like shit for much of the game, but the four BS calls on four consecutive plays against Carolina on our drive and then the Cowboys ensuing one just gave the game to the Cowboys.

I fucking hate Ron Winter's crew. Throws the flag for a horsecollar tackle just because Tanner gets upended by Anderson's hand, there was no way he could have seen from his position, he just assumed that it was a horsecollar. Refs are not supposed to throw flags because they assume its a penalty.

And both O-lines were absolutely murdering the D-line, and I believe one holding call on the offensive line was called all game long.

Oh and the Panthers run-game is absolutely atrocious. Once again, Cam is #1 in rushing yards by nearly double the next guy. Take away the one 20-yard run by J-Stew and he is an atrocious 9 carries for 15 yards.

This is just pathetic. Chud has fallen apart in offense play-calling, still haven't seen a single I-formation trying to pound the ball with Tolbert, he is continually relying on gimmick plays that are no longer working. Now I wish he had got hired as a HC somewhere else.

Edited by Thanatos19