Vin

Jags @ Raiders

The Oakland Raiders showed improvement on both sides of the ball last week, but they still couldn't get back into the win column after their bye.

The Jacksonville Jaguars can't fare much worse as they return to the field.

Oakland tries to build on a near-upset of the NFL's lone unbeaten team Sunday when it hosts a Jaguars team that's had plenty of time to stew over one of the worst losses in franchise history.

Coming off a 37-6 loss at Denver on Sept. 30 that quarterback Carson Palmer called a "good, old-fashioned butt-whupping," the Raiders (1-4) rolled up season highs with 474 total yards and 149 yards rushing while picking off their first three passes of the season in last Sunday's 23-20 loss at Atlanta.

Palmer responded from throwing an interception that was returned for a touchdown with 2:40 left by leading an 80-yard drive that Darren McFadden capped off with a 2-yard scoring run, but Oakland lost again as Matt Bryant nailed a 55-yard field goal with one second left.

"We've got to learn how to finish and win those types of games," first-year coach Dennis Allen said. "That's what our job is. This is a production business. It's about winning and losing, and we weren't able to get it done yesterday."

Like the Raiders last week, the Jaguars (1-4) get back to work following a blowout loss.

"I think the answers are in this building," said coach Mike Mularkey, whose team lost 41-3 to Chicago on Oct. 7. "I think they are in that locker room. They are in that staff room back there. They're in the meeting rooms, on the practice fields, during our preparation. I think the answers are all here, and we've just got a find a way to get those to transfer over to games so we can play complete games and play like we're capable of playing."

The Jaguars, though, do not have a good formula for winning. Behind second-year signal-caller Blaine Gabbert, they are last in the league in total offense (241.2 yards per game), passing (142.8 ypg) and scoring (13.0 ppg). They're also tied for the fewest rushing touchdowns in the NFL with one.

The story isn't much better on the defensive side as Jacksonville is allowing 27.6 points per game - 25th in the league - and has a NFL-low three sacks, something it'll hope the possible return of linebacker Daryl Smith (groin) can rectify.

"It's been the same thing for five years," running back Maurice Jones-Drew said. "Obviously, we're not working hard enough. I don't know. We're just not playing well right now. We have to figure something out. No one here is going to save us."

The Raiders have just four sacks this season, but the potential return of linebacker Aaron Curry could help against a Jaguars team that's surrendered nine sacks in the last two games. Curry, the fourth overall pick by Seattle in 2009, is expected to come off the PUP list and practice this week following offseason knee surgery, but it's far from certain he'll be ready to play Sunday.

"We're going to get him out there and let him run around, see where he's at and begin the evaluation process to figure out if and when he's going to be available on the roster," Allen said.

Allen said he was pleased with how rookie linebacker Miles Burris performed in nickel coverage last week against Matt Ryan and the Falcons' talented receivers, but it's uncertain how often the Raiders will line up with an extra defensive back Sunday. Gabbert has completed just eight passes that have gone at least 20 yards, and his wideouts haven't helped. Jacksonville's receivers have dropped 12.8 percent of catchable passes, the worst rate in the league.

Oakland's defense is the NFL's worst on third down, getting off the field just 50.7 percent of the time, but at 31.3 percent offensively in third-down situations, Jacksonville is sixth-worst.

Slowing down Jones-Drew could be a challenge - his 4.9 yards per carry is the second-best rate of his career - but the Raiders' run defense met the test last week, limiting the Falcons to 45 yards on 15 carries.

Jones-Drew ran for 101 yards and a TD the last time these teams met, a 38-31 Jaguars home win Dec. 12, 2010, that was their fourth straight in the series since 1997.

McFadden, who scored three TDs and set a career high with 209 scrimmage yards in that contest, is running for a career-worst 3.2 yards per carry. He has both of the Raiders' rushing scores.

Copyright 2012 by STATS LLC and The Associated Press

Cecil Shorts is starting, Terrence Knighton and Andre Branch have been demoted, and we're getting some DEs and possibly Daryl Smith back from injuries. Hopefully the changes/returns, plus the fact that we're coming off a bye, will provide a spark that will help us get a W this week.

Edited by Vin

I'm extremely frustrated by Jacksonville. They have enough talent to at least be a competitive team, but they appear to be far from that. Is it the playcalling? Is Gabbert that bad? Jags fans, fill me in here.

Oakland because they've been a surprise a few times this year.

The Raiders found out Matt Ryan, they can figure out Blaine Gabbert.

Eww. :troll:

:jags: 13

:Raiders: 21

Oh, boy... I have to go with Oakland here. Jacksonville just hasn't shown any promise yet.

:Raiders: 24

:jags: 13

Leggo Raiders. They pretty much just need to contain MJD, Justin Blackmon, and Mercedes Lewis.

Should be a pretty ugly game, but I'll take the Raiders here. I think their defense will be able to get some turnovers and win them this game.

No surprises on the injury reports for the Jacksonville Jaguars and Oakland Raiders. Safety Dawan Landry (ankle), wide receiver Laurent Robinson (concussion) and linebacker Daryl Smith (groin) are out for the Jaguars, right tackle Khalif Barnes (groin) and cornerback Shawntae Spencer (foot) are out for the Raiders.

Raiders declared RB Taiwan Jones, TE Richard Gordon, OLs Khalif Barnes and Lucas Nix, CB Shawntae Spencer, and DL Jack Crawford inactive for Week 7 against the Jaguars.

Terrelle Pryor is the third quarterback. Jones has a knee injury, so Mike Goodson will continue to spell Darren McFadden. Barnes has been battling a groin injury for the past few weeks. Gordon has a hamstring injury.

Jags declared WR Laurent Robinson, SLB Daryl Smith, FS Dwight Lowery, OL Herb Taylor, LB Brandon Marshall, DT Jeris Pendleton, and DE Ryan Davis inactive for Week 7 against the Raiders.

Robinson is still out with a concussion. Cecil Shorts will start opposite Justin Blackmon. Lowery has an ankle injury, and Smith has a groin issue.

Cecil Shorts should be a permanent fixture in the Jags offense. Nice to see we have at least one WR that wants to show up.

I'd like to thank the Raiders for making us look good. Jags go up 14-3 off of a Rashad Jennings TD.

Cecil Shorts should be a permanent fixture in the Jags offense. Nice to see we have at least one WR that wants to show up.

Drafted him in our mock game for the 49ers that year. I'll always like him now.

Alright, Jags fans, you got your wish. Henne's in for Blaine due to a shoulder injury, which of course happens when he's actually playing well.

Edited by Vin

Derek Cox got that INT. Why wasn't I informed?

Jags are gonna screw up and win this game :facepalm:

Hopefully the Raiders come back and win it. Because Jags have no chance this year, and need that #1 pick. Look at the Colts. The Jags have gotten top 10 picks but missed on the best players too many years now, we need a superstar. Please lose.

I bet MJD has a Lisfranc injury.

• Downvote 1

Jags D needs to score some points, because our offense certainly isn't going to.

67 yards of offense put up by the Jags since Blaine went out in 2nd quarter.

Time for everyone clamoring for Henne to start to shut up.

I would rather the Packers see Blaine... Chad might be OK on a weeks worth of preparation. Also, leggo Rashad.

STOP BREAKING VINCENZO'S HEART YOU PECKERS.

Goddamned Jaguars... :disgust: What Bay just said.

Edited by BigBen07