Vin

Cards @ Falcons

Facing the Atlanta Falcons one week after they suffered their first loss might not present the ideal opportunity for the Arizona Cardinals to end a five-game losing streak.

The host Falcons look to get back to their winning ways Sunday against a Cardinals team that's trying to avoid a second six-game skid in as many seasons.

Atlanta (8-1) is eager to move on from Sunday's 31-27 defeat at New Orleans as it tries to maintain its standing as the top team in the NFC. The Falcons have not lost consecutive regular-season games since Dec. 6-13, 2009.

"We have a veteran football team, so we've won games and we've lost games and it's all about the way you bounce back," defensive back Dunta Robinson said. "One thing I know about this team in the years that I've been here is that we've always bounced back after a loss and I don't expect anything different.

"I mean, we're 8-1, so you can't be too down and you can't be too disappointed about that. ... We're still excited about our future."

The Falcons appear to be an extremely confident group despite losing a game they were in position to win. They led 10-0 in the first quarter and nearly erased a 28-17 fourth-quarter deficit, but failed to convert twice from the New Orleans 1-yard line and was stopped on fourth-and-2 on the same drive with less than 2 minutes to play.

Matt Ryan threw for 411 yards with three touchdowns and one interception while Tony Gonzalez caught 11 passes for 122 yards and two TDs. Atlanta's inability to produce against one of the worst run defenses in the NFL, though, played a big part in the defeat. Michael Turner was held to 15 yards on 13 carries and the Falcons totaled 46 yards rushing.

"We've got to do a lot of things better," coach Mike Smith said. "It's not one position group, it's not one guy, it's the entire offense."

The Falcons allowed the Saints to rush for 148 yards and star tight end Jimmy Graham caught seven passes for 146 yards and two touchdowns.

The Falcons shook things up Monday when they released veteran defensive end Ray Edwards, who started four games this season and had nine tackles and no sacks.

Atlanta ranks 20th in the league allowing 365.6 yards per game, and it will try for a better defensive performance against an Arizona team that is 31st in total offense at 295.4 yards a contest and scoring at 16.0 points. The Cardinals are last in the league with 76.2 yards per game on the ground.

Facing a Falcons squad looking for a ninth straight home win may not bode well for the Cardinals (4-5), who come out of their bye looking for a way to stop their skid.

"Physically you won't be that much better but mentally you can be better, especially when you are going through a streak like we are going through now," safety Kerry Rhodes told the team's official website. "Wipe the slate clean."

Coach Ken Whisenhunt said he would not hold back from shuffling his lineup, and rookie Nate Potter is expected to start at left tackle in place of D'Anthony Batiste on a line that has allowed an NFL-high 41 sacks.

"We're not going to be afraid to make a change," Whisenhunt said. "That's what you have to look at. If it gives us an opportunity to get better and not stay the same, then that's what you have to do, because we've been inconsistent and we're looking for more consistency. When we play consistent football, we're a pretty good football team."

The line made strides in the team's last game Nov. 4, giving up only two sacks in a 31-17 loss at Green Bay. John Skelton threw for 306 yards with a TD and INT for the Cardinals.

Larry Fitzgerald, who caught six passes for 74 yards with a touchdown, has one 100-yard receiving game on the season and that came in Week 3. He had seven receptions for 83 yards in a 41-7 loss at Atlanta on Sept. 19, 2010.

Ryan, fourth in the league with a 102.6 passer rating, threw for 225 yards and three TDs in that contest.

Copyright 2012 by STATS LLC and The Associated Press

Edited by Vin

Falcons will come back strong after being beat by a division rival. They want teams to know they're for real.

:Falcons: 24

:Cardinals: 16

Julio Jones (ankle) missed Friday's practice and is listed as questionable for Week 11 against the Cardinals.

He didn't practice at all this week. The fact that the Falcons listed Jones as "questionable" rather than "doubtful" or "out" does indicate the club has not given up hope on Julio playing on game day. Jones returned after tweaking his right ankle in last week's loss to the Saints. While he's surely experienced some swelling since, Jones should be able to face the Cardinals if he performs well in a workout before the game. Cards-Falcons has a 1:00PM ET start Sunday. So we will know Jones' availability early in the day.

Falcons in a blowout. They are coming off their first loss of the season, they are home and they are facing a struggling Cardinals team.

Rage. That's all I expect tomorrow, Mike Smith has never lost back to back games. RAGE

Alabama-Western Carolina lite.

:Cardinals: 14

:Falcons: 30

Cardinals declared LE Calais Campbell, QB Kevin Kolb, TE Todd Heap, OLs Senio Kelemete and Pat McQuistan, LB Jamaal Westerman, and WR LaRon Byrd inactive for Week 11 against the Falcons.

Campbell has a calf injury and will be replaced in the starting lineup by Vonnie Holliday. John Skelton will continue to start for Kolb (ribs). Heap has been a non-factor this season as he deals with a knee injury.

Inactive for the Falcons: WR Kevin Cone, QB Dominique Davis, T Lamar Holmes, G Phillipkeith Manley, DB Charles Mitchell, NT Travian Robertson, LB Sean Weatherspoon

Cardinals get a lucky INT and score after amazing field position.

Thanks Roddy. Horrible start to the game. I will proceed to fist myself if we lose today..and by the looks of things, I may as well start now.

Thanks Roddy. Horrible start to the game. I will proceed to fist myself if we lose today..and by the looks of things, I may as well start now.

Falcons will be fine. We just need to get in a rhythm on offense. The problem is that our offensive line is continuing to try and get Matt Ryan killed. It's a wonder he hasn't been injured already this season as many hits as he's taken that have looked bad.

Knew the defense would be tough, but our receivers need to help Matt out. Not sure why we keep giving the ball to Turner. I'll be disappointed if we don't see more of Snelling and Rodgers as the game progresses.

Not really worried about Ryan. All 3 interceptions have come with a defensive player smashing him. He should be holding on to the all and taking the sacks though, I will say that.

I'm more worried about the team in general right now. We have no answer for the running game what-so-ever. Asante Samuel is also sitting on the sideline with an injury..

Todd McClure is down. Just when we were finally putting together a nice drive...oh fuck me hard. I can't bear to watch our offensive line as is...now Joe Hawley... :Suicide:

16-16 end of half. Complete shit of a half for the offense. Matt Ryan throws 3 interceptions - one that Roddy White tipped a perfectly place pass to the defensive back, one that Matt Ryan got the shit knocked out of him on, and another that Matt Ryan got hosed by his guard letting the defense hit him in the back. Gave up over 100 yards rushing in the first half, I'll take a 16-16 score into half time.

Falcons went no huddle the last 37 seconds of the half and they went right down the field. Makes you wonder why we didn't see it more earlier. Hopefully they come out and make the adjustments they need to make.

Todd McClure is down. Just when we were finally putting together a nice drive...oh fuck me hard. I can't bear to watch our offensive line as is...now Joe Hawley... :Suicide:

If you think that Hawley is that much of a downgrade from McClure, you are delusional. McClure does good at keeping guys in front of him, but the last few years all he does is get pushed back into the quarterback. It's a problem year after year but he gets a pass because you never see the guy get by him. He just gets carried with the defensive player.

Somebody give me the lowdown in this game so far...

Somebody give me the lowdown in this game so far...

Matt Ryan throws 3 interceptions.

Atlanta has no running game.

Asante Samuel to sideline with "Shoulder injury"

Atlanta scored touchdown off a "Fumble" by QB Ryan Lindley

Cardinals have no offense.

Ryan Lindley replaced Skelton because Skelton couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with his passes.

Cardinals rush for over 100 yards in first half - Stephens-Howling 113yards 1 TD

As I said, while Matt Ryan should have held on to the ball on two interceptions he threw, I can't completely blame him. He was getting smashed both times. The very first interception, Roddy White juggled a perfectly thrown pass in his chest and the back just grabbed it out of the air.

Edited by Chris D

Cardinals offense is brutal. Only 13 points in the 1st half after 3 INT's from Matt Ryan? Awful.

And of course my fantasy opponent has Stephens-Howlings. :facepalm:

If you think that Hawley is that much of a downgrade from McClure, you are delusional. McClure does good at keeping guys in front of him, but the last few years all he does is get pushed back into the quarterback. It's a problem year after year but he gets a pass because you never see the guy get by him. He just gets carried with the defensive player.

McClure has been making line adjustments for over a decade now. There's much more to it then his physical features, otherwise...he wouldn't be the starter.

@ F4E.

The Falcons started off terribly, Matt Ryan is only at fault for one of his INT's, the other two were deflections. The Cardinals are starting a rookie after they benched Skelton...and they have a bum ass RB that tears apart our dogshit run defense.

Also, John Abraham is a boss...along with Jay Feely and Matt Bryant.