Sign in to follow this  
Tridentdawgpound

Braves Sign BJ Upton to 5-year, $75 million deal

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121128&content_id=40445762&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

ATLANTA -- Multiple Major League sources have indicated that the Braves have agreed to a deal with free-agent outfielder B.J. Upton.

There was some indication that the deal could be completed within the next 24 hours, with several reports indicating it would be a five-year contract for approximately $75 million. A physical is set for Thursday in Atlanta.

The Braves made Upton their top target when they began searching for outfielders at the end of this past season. They seemed to improve the odds of landing the 28-year-old outfielder when they brought him to Turner Field for a visit on Nov. 15. General manager Frank Wren, manager Fredi Gonzalez and former manager Bobby Cox were all present for that meeting.

Upton batted .246 with a career-high 28 homers and a .752 OPS in 146 games with the Rays in 2012.

Upton has increased his home run total each of the past five years and has recorded at least 31 stolen bases each of the past five seasons. He finished two home runs shy of joining the 30-30 club this past season.

Now the deal is actually done...I'm glad he's here.

Hope the Phillies aren't about to add ANOTHER lefty to the lineup.

Ehhh not a fan of that big of a contract for this guy. Don't think he's THAT good.

Edited by BradyFan81

$15 million per for .250,

Blah.

I like Upton, but he ain't worth that. Good luck to him though, I'll remember him beasting on the Red Sox in the 2008 ALCS.

Hahahah. $17 million per year for a guy who's had one good season and has earned a reputation of dogging it. Good thing the Phillies aren't dishing out this contract.

Unfortunately this probably means we overpay for the Bourn identity or Hamilton now. :(

$15 million per for .250, <30 HR, 70 RBI, 150 Ks

Blah.

You forgot the sub-.300 OBP. :p

• Upvote 2

Hahahah. $17 million per year for a guy who's had one good season and has earned a reputation of dogging it. Good thing the Phillies aren't dishing out this contract.

Unfortunately this probably means we overpay for the Bourn identity or Hamilton now. :(

Can you imagine how much Hamilton would dominate playing in CBP for the games that he was actually able to play? I mean, don't get me wrong, I don't want us to give him a fuck load of money and years because his body is bound to break down, but this dude would go apeshit playing not only in our ball park but in the NL.

Can you imagine how much Hamilton would dominate playing in CBP for the games that he was actually able to play? I mean, don't get me wrong, I don't want us to give him a fuck load of money and years because his body is bound to break down, but this dude would go apeshit playing not only in our ball park but in the NL.

Yeah, if we're going to overpay for someone, I'd much rather have him than Bourn. Though I also wouldn't mind a better bargain like Swisher.

At the same time, though, the Phillies need to accept a reality. And that is that their window is closing fast. In another season or two, the veteran core will have faded away and there won't be enough young talent to maintain winning seasons right away. If Amaro wants to get another World Series out of this run, he's gotta be aggressive.

Upton isn't a terrible player, but like the others said way too much money for the production you get. This always tends to happen in every sports free agency. Teams overpaying for talent.

Teams overpay all the time,I expected the Braves to do so. He might be overpaid but I think he'll help the Braves a lot.

B.J.'s gonna love Atlanta because the 20,000 in attendance won't care when he starts dogging it. Would have been a different story in Philly. :D

B.J.'s gonna love Atlanta because the 20,000 in attendance won't care when he starts dogging it. Would have been a different story in Philly. :D

He would have either risen to the occasion or had a nervous breakdown haha.

He would have either risen to the occasion or had a nervous breakdown haha.

I won't lie, I would have liked to see what Citizens Bank Park did to his home run numbers, but again, at that price, I'm glad he's on Atlanta payroll and not ours.

Justin Upton to Atlanta Braves? It's been discussed

By Adam Green/Arizona Sports

Published: November 29, 2012 @ 1:18pm

The Justin Upton trade winds have been swirling for a while now, though at this point it does not seem like a deal is imminent.

One of the teams rumored to be interested in the young D-back's services is the Atlanta Braves. You know, the same Braves team that just inked Justin's brother B.J. to a big contract.

So, could there be a brotherly reunion in Hotlanta?

The two have discussed it, apparently.

According to Braves beat writer for MLB.com Mark Bowman, the brothers Upton have thought about sharing the same outfield.

"B.J. Upton said he and his brother Justin Upton have had a few conversations about possibility of playing together in Atlanta."

And, as David O'Brien of the Atlanta Journal Constitution tweeted out, there brothers would like to make it happen.

David O'Brien @ajcbraves

#Braves B.J.Upton & brother Justin have strong desire to play together and hope it happens when Justin is free agent in 3yrs, if not sooner.

29 Nov 12

Retweet

Favorite

The D-backs are rumored to be seeking, at the very least, a young shortstop in return for Upton, and the Braves have one in Andrelton Simmons.

Atlanta was not willing to part with the 23-year-old when his name was brought up a month ago, but it's fair to wonder if that stance will change with the team's latest acquisition.

Really not sure how much credibility there is to this, but I would not be willing to give up Andrelton for Justin. It's an interesting thought if those two did somehow end up together here.

but I would not be willing to give up Andrelton for Justin.

I would. An established elite talent in exchange for a slick fielding SS with limited offense? Yes yes and yes.

Some new Braves moves

ATLANTA (AP) -- The Braves traded Tommy Hanson to the Los Angeles Angels for former closer Jordan Walden on Friday, clearing a spot in their rotation for Julio Teheran, Randal Delgado or another young starter.

Hanson has seen a decrease in his velocity as he battled rotator cuff tendinitis in 2011 and a lower back strain in 2012. Angels general manager Jerry Dipoto said the 26-year-old was a consistent winner in four seasons with the Braves and had no arm troubles this year.

''It's a good risk on a pitcher we really believe in,'' Dipoto said.

Hanson was 13-10 this year, setting a career high in wins, but his ERA climbed for the third straight season to a career-worst 4.48. The right-hander was 45-32 with the Braves.

Asked whether he was hoping for a bounce-back season from Hanson, Dipoto said his scouts saw Hanson performing on a level consistent with his career.

''I don't know that we're necessarily looking for a bounce back,'' Dipoto said. ''He won 13 games. I don't think it would be fair to qualify it as a disappointing season. ... His velocity remained consistent from month to month. Our scouting reports remained consistent with what we've always thought of Tommy. He's done it for four years at the big league level, and we think he'll continue to do it.''

Hanson missed the last two months of the 2011 season with the right shoulder injury. Dr. James Andrews found a small tear in Hanson's rotator cuff. Hanson said Andrews offered reassurance by saying ''three of four pitchers had what I had.''

Hanson said Friday the injury affected his offseason work before the 2012 season but said he has changed his workout plan this fall.

''I think toward the end, I didn't feel I was as strong as I need to be,'' Hanson said of this season. ''I think as the years have gone along I've learned how to have a better understanding of how to stay healthy and be strong. I think it was a little bit of a learning experience last year and I'm looking to improve.''

Hanson was 10-5 with a 3.71 ERA before the All-Star break and 3-5 with a 5.69 ERA in the second half. He was on the disabled lists from July 31 to Aug. 17 with a lower back strain.

Hanson, who was born in Tulsa, Okla., said his family moved to Southern California when he was 2 and he was a longtime Angels fan.

Hanson said he was going to get a haircut as he prepared to attend Braves closer Craig Kimbrel's wedding on Saturday when he was informed of the trade. He said he quickly moved past his immediate shock and is ''extremely excited'' to be joining the team he cheered for growing up.

''Where I grew up there's a ton of Angels fans,'' Hanson said. ''I grew up going to Angels games. ... Immediately I was shocked and now I'm just excited. I wish spring training was tomorrow.''

Walden had 32 saves in 2011, then lost his closer's role to Ernesto Frieri and was 3-2 with a 3.46 ERA and one save this year. He became superfluous when the Angels agreed this week to a $3.5 million, one-year contract with Ryan Madson.

Walden gives Atlanta another power arm for its bullpen. His fastball has been closed at close to 100 mph, and he had 48 strikeouts in 39 innings this year.

''We've been focused on adding a power arm to our bullpen all offseason,'' Braves general manager Frank Wren said. ''We felt if we added one power arm we would have a bullpen that would stack up with the best bullpens in our league. Jordan Walden has closing experience and the kind of arm that will stack up well in a seventh- and eighth-inning role for us.''

Atlanta's rotation returns Tim Hudson, Kris Medlen, Paul Maholm and Mike Minor. Brandon Beachy, who had right elbow ligament-replacement surgery in June, could be back during the second half of the season.

Wren said there will be room for a young starter to emerge for the start of the season.

''We feel like we have a lot of guys that are lining up close to helping us,'' Wren said.

Hanson was expected to earn about $4 million, possibly clearing more payroll room for another offseason move. The Braves are expected to move Martin Prado from left field to third base as a replacement for Chipper Jones, who has retired.

''We're still looking for left fielder-leadoff guy, but I don't know if that is connected with this deal,'' Wren said. ''We just felt with the way our rotation lined up next year, it would be a good fit to add a guy like Jordan Walden.''

Atlanta also claimed right-hander David Carpenter off waivers from Boston. The Angels claimed outfielder Scott Cousins off waivers from Seattle.

In fact,there are more Braves news.

The Braves will not tender a contract to RHP Jair Jurrjens.

An easy call, as Jurrjens struggled miserably at the major league level in 2012 and simply wasn't worth bringing back at close to his $5.5 million salary. However, it's a safe bet that plenty of teams will be willing to buy in on a potential rebound. Peter Moylan will also be non-tendered, but could be brought back at a discounted rate.