Vin

Jets @ Jags

Mark Sanchez statistically ranks as one of the worst starting quarterbacks in the NFL, but coach Rex Ryan still believes the embattled signal caller gives the New York Jets the best chance to win.

Despite being benched during another dismal performance, Sanchez will be under center to start the Jets' road matchup with the Jacksonville Jaguars on Sunday.

Ryan's faith in Sanchez seems unfounded, given he ranks last among current starting QBs in passer rating (71.4) and completion percentage (55.0) during a disappointing season for New York (5-7).

Sanchez went 10 for 21 with three interceptions last week, forcing Ryan to turn to third-stringer Greg McElroy, who promptly threw a touchdown pass to Jeff Cumberland on his first career drive to help the Jets beat Arizona 7-6.

While the quarterback situation is anything but settled, Ryan plans to stick with Sanchez at least for one more week.

"When I looked at everything, the biggest thing I kept coming back to is: Who gives us the best opportunity to win?" Ryan said. "When I kept coming back to that, I believed the correct answer was Mark Sanchez."

With Jacksonville-area native Tim Tebow still recovering from two broken ribs, McElroy would've been in line for his first pro start.

"You're not guaranteed anything, not at all," McElroy said. "You do your best to make the most of your opportunity and do your best to help the team."

Sanchez knows he's running out of chances to keep his job. The Jets rank 28th in the league in passing offense (193.8 yards per game) and 29th in total yards (308.9).

"I'm just disappointed because I let a lot of people down," Sanchez said. "You let a lot of teammates down when you play like that. That never feels good. It's just not the way I prepare, not with the skill set I've been blessed to have."

Jacksonville coach Mike Mularkey wasn't surprised by Ryan's decision, though he has enough to worry about with a defense that ranks 28th allowing 260.9 passing yards per game.

"I had a gut feeling it would be Mark Sanchez," Mularkey said. "Why is that? I don't know, but I just felt like it was going to be. Our plan isn't going to be altered by whoever it was going to be."

The Jaguars (2-10) allowed a season-best 112 passing yards last week against Buffalo, but they also gave up a season-worst 232 rushing yards in a 34-18 loss.

Jacksonville is 31st in the NFL giving up 144.0 yards on the ground, and it will look to slow down a Jets rushing attack that compiled 177 yards last week, led by Shonn Greene's 104 on 24 carries.

The Jaguars hope fullback and former two-time special teams Pro Bowler Montell Owens can give their own running game a boost with the rest of their backs banged up.

Maurice Jones-Drew, Jalen Parmele and Rashad Jennings are all dealing with injuries, forcing Owens into a starting role. He carried seven times for 29 yards against Buffalo after Jennings suffered a concussion.

"It's just a chance to showcase yourself in a way that you haven't been accustomed to," Owens said. "I'm grateful for the opportunity."

Jacksonville ranks last in the NFL averaging only 78.8 yards on the ground, and Mularkey is hoping anyone can get the running game going.

"It's not the ideal situation, but I think you've got to make an attempt to try to keep it balanced," Mularkey said. "I trust Montell Owens. When he had chances to carry the ball, I thought `Wow, this guy. I knew he was a good football player, but this guy is a decent back."'

Some good news is that Chad Henne went 3-1 as a starter with Miami against the Jets, throwing six touchdowns and one interception with a 94.2 passer rating while opposing Sanchez each time.

Sanchez went 17 for 24 with two TDs and two picks in a 32-3 win over Jacksonville in the most recent meeting Sept. 18, 2011, ending the Jets' three-game losing streak to the Jaguars.

Copyright 2012 by STATS LLC and The Associated Press.

Gotta love starting a FB at RB... I think we can win this if Henne decides not to suck, but that might be asking too much.

Edited by Vin

:Jets: 16

:jags: 19

Jaguars WR Cecil Shorts (concussion) and RB Rashad Jennings (concussion) have been ruled out for Week 14 versus the Jets.

It was expected. No Jaguars player has gone on to play Sunday after missing Friday's practice. Shorts was still experiencing symptoms at mid-week, which means he's no sure bet to return for Week 15 at Miami. We suspect Kevin Elliott will draw the start opposite Justin Blackmon with Jordan Shipley staying in the slot. Elliott is not a viable flex option for the fantasy playoffs. Montell Owens will handle lead-back duties with Jennings out.

Montell Owens is probably a better back than Jennings at least. Still no SHorts means no explosion for the Jags offense.

Jets could win this game...

:Jets: 21

:jags: 17

Picked the Jets in pick'em so...

:Jets: 16

:jags: 12

Tim Tebow (ribs) is active and will be the No. 2 quarterback versus the Jaguars in Week 14, while Greg McElroy is a healthy inactive.

Tebow was listed as questionable, but he'll back up Mark Sanchez.

The Jets also declared WRs Jordan White and Clyde Gates, OLB Ricky Sapp, TE Dustin Keller, NT Damon Harrison, and OL Caleb Sclauderaff inactive for Sunday. Keller was ruled out on Saturday with an ankle injury.

Jaguars declared WR Cecil Shorts, RBs Rashad Jennings and Maurice Jones-Drew, CB Aaron Ross, LG Mike Brewster, and DEs George Selvie and John Chick inactive for Week 14 versus the Jets.

Shorts and Jennings have concussions, MJD is still out with a foot injury, and Ross is dealing with a calf issue. Montell Owens will get the start at running back, while Kevin Elliott starts in Shorts' place opposite Justin Blackmon.

So there's a chance for Tebow time?

:panic:

Jags move the ball well down the field, getting all the way to the Jet's 10-yard line, then Henne gets hit and throws a pick.

Yep. This game is going to be awesome.

Jags put up the first points of the game with a Scobee FG with 6 minutes left in the 2nd quarter. Neither team seems to really want to do anything offensively.

Scobee with the miss right before the half. Jags still up, though, 3-0.

Can't believe I'm missing this awesome game.

Jets up 10-3 now after a Greene TD and a Folk FG.

We are bad.

TD Bilal Powell. 17-3 Jets.

THE SUCK! IT IS EVERYWHERE!

TD Montell Owens, nice to see the 4th string runningback still fighting.

A 32 yard TD by Montell Owens (12/87/1 on the day so far) give the Jags a little bit of hope. 17-10 Jets.

Jags convert two fourth downs on their final drive to get down withing striking distance only to have Henne throw a pick.

Typical Jags.

Sanchez didn't play that well, but didn't throw the game away -- so that's a plus, right?1 lol

Nice to see Greene not completely suck these last few weeks. And Montell Owens looked really good today. Jags are doing a nice job of filling in for Mojo, regardless of who it is as long as his name isn't Rashad Jennings.

I want Blaine back.

Sanchez didn't play that well, but didn't throw the game away -- so that's a plus, right?1 lol

Nice to see Greene not completely suck these last few weeks. And Montell Owens looked really good today. Jags are doing a nice job of filling in for Mojo, regardless of who it is as long as his name isn't Rashad Jennings.

Yeah he had one fumble but other than that he didn't have any terrible throws to defenders. Definitely not a good game by him though has he missed some receivers.

I love what our running game has been doing. Splitting carries between Greene and Powell has been working out well and I'd like to see it continue.

And Vin do you really want Blaine back? Henne suffered from some key drops (although the pass at the end was atrocious).

And Vin do you really want Blaine back? Henne suffered from some key drops (although the pass at the end was atrocious).

Yep. Blaine had to deal with the same drops that Henne is now, and it's not like we're winning everything now that Henne's starting. And really, both of his picks were bad plays. Sure he was hit on the first pick, but you've got to see the free guy coming.

But my complaining is moot since Blaine's on IR.

Dude... Blaine is bad too. Both these guys are career backups. But to their credit their OL is horrible at pass protection. Bradfield is horrible. Eben Britton might be one of the worst OG in the league. He got destroyed today, just like when he did against Geno Atkins and got benched against Cincy. The guy is done, I know he only played because Brewster was hurt, but he's flat out bad. He's on Guy Whimper status right now. Matter fact, they're better off just switching Guy Whimper to TE at this point, he can catch and run better than he can block. :rofl:

Jags are a complete mess, blow it all up, players, coaches, front office, we only have a hand full of legit starters. Eugene Monroe, MJD, Cecil Shorts, Marcedes Lewis, Uche Nwaneri, Greg Jones, Montell Owens (mostly special teams but solid backup RB), Blackmon has potential, Paul Posluszny, Derek Cox, Dwight Lowery, Dawan Landry, Mike Harris has potential. That's it. The rest are mediocre to terrible. Most of those starters I listed are average too, only MJD, Monroe, and Lowery are close to being the best at their position. Cox is close too, but his injury problems are getting very old.

Those are the only salvageable players. Jags might have the worst defensive line in the league. The losses don't even hurt me anymore, the team is so bad I'm just waiting for next year and hoping the new GM is actually competent and he gets Khan to fire Mularkey for a coach who actually knows how to adjust after halftime. I know Mularkey has had Butkus for talent to work with, and an insane amount of injuries, but even Falcons' fans know he lacks the ability to adjust in-game. A crucial component to winning games IMO. Jags constantly have kept games close at halftime this year, then got completely blown out of the water in the second half. That's on coaching adjustments.