Sign in to follow this  
Vin

Marcus Lattimore declares

South Carolina RB Marcus Lattimore will forego his senior season with the Gamecocks and enter the 2013 NFL draft.

Lattimore drew Earl Campbell comparisons as a 6-foot, 218-power back as a freshman and sophomore before tearing his left ACL in October of 2011. He returned faster than expected in 2012, but was clearly not the same player as a junior and suffered another devastating injury in late October, tearing his right ACL and MCL. Lattimore will be in a similar situation to Willis McGahee in 2003. He is blessed with first-round talent when 100 percent, but may have to sit out the 2013 season. We still expect someone to take a chance on Lattimore on the second day of the draft.

Source: ESPN.com

Surprising move.

This was a guy I really wanted the Packers to go after... But sometimes injury risks don't pay off. I'd still like to take a look at him. Wonder where he goes in the draft. Might be one of those guy you take with your last pick just so that he can't decide where he wants to go and keep him from other teams.

2nd day? That would be rounds 2 and 3. No way in hell he goes they high.

Eh, Willis McGahee went in the first round with a similar situation :dry:

I guess he decided he'd rather rehab on an NFL salary (and with NFL trainers) can't say I blame him

Eh, Willis McGahee went in the first round with a similar situation :dry:

I don't think McGahee had previous knee injuries though. I can't see a team picking Lattimore in the first 3 rounds. He is worth a look in like round 5 and would be a nice player to stash away if you already have a good back that is older.

ESPN's KC Joyner "would not be surprised" if South Carolina junior RB Marcus Lattimore goes undrafted this April.

Joyner added that "an injury of that caliber will normally make teams avoid a player in the draft." This is definitely true, and Lattimore will likely be taken off a number of boards due to his medicals, but we think at least one team will want to give him a shot, especially in the later rounds.

we think at least one team will want to give him a shot, especially in the later rounds

that's why he won't go undrafted, it doesn't matter if 31 teams take him off their board, he just needs one team willing to use their 7th round pick to let him sit on IR next season, and somebody will be willing to do that

I'd love for the Colts to go after this guy, especially if he slips to the later rounds. Vick Ballard and Donald Brown just don't run the ball as efficiently as they should, and usually struggle with pass-blocking. Lattimore, although a high-risk pick is a physical back and can block exceptionally.

Can the Colts really afford to draft him? You guys are low on picks already, like 5 I believe and have quite a few needs on Defense.

I think he'll get drafted. It will be in the late rounds, second day but someone will take the risk.

Can the Colts really afford to draft him? You guys are low on picks already, like 5 I believe and have quite a few needs on Defense.

Second rounder to Miami, fifth rounder to San Francisco, sixth rounder to Miami, seventh rounder to Philly.

I completely see what you mean, the Colts are low on picks, and have plenty of gaps to fill, especially up front on both sides of the ball, and need to improve the secondary, but I honestly do believe he can be a good player in NFL. If he goes undrafted, I'd love to sign him. I'd like to see him in Colts blue. Our run game is bad, and has been bad for a while now. It's another area the Colts need to improve on. Sure, it's not the most important thing, but in order to continue being as successful as they've been this year, and to grow on it, we need to have a sufficient run game to balance out our passing attack that's been relatively efficient this year.

If McGahee could return and be as good as he was despite the injury, Lattimore can too.

We can call Lattimore an injury risk, but it was both knees, both incredibly freaky situations. It's not like his knees just gave out for no reason. He just had two terrible, entirely coincidental scenarios in which his knees got shredded. He'll recover, and he'll help some NFL team. It's not like it was the same knee both times. If it were his left ACL again, it'd be hard to consider him.

Jerry, Murray can't stay healthy. Take a chance. Marcus could maybe return mid to late season in 2013. You never know. Felix is gone, and I don't like Dunbar enough to count him in at #2. Let's take a late draft pick on this kid, if he's still there. Marcus Lattimore could easily be drafted earlier than we expect.

If McGahee could return and be as good as he was despite the injury, Lattimore can too.

We can call Lattimore an injury risk, but it was both knees, both incredibly freaky situations. It's not like his knees just gave out for no reason. He just had two terrible, entirely coincidental scenarios in which his knees got shredded. He'll recover, and he'll help some NFL team. It's not like it was the same knee both times. If it were his left ACL again, it'd be hard to consider him.

Jerry, Murray can't stay healthy. Take a chance. Marcus could maybe return mid to late season in 2013. You never know. Felix is gone, and I don't like Dunbar enough to count him in at #2. Let's take a late draft pick on this kid, if he's still there. Marcus Lattimore could easily be drafted earlier than we expect.

McGahee only had one. And he was not the same prospect after that. HE was good but not what he could have really been. Miami fans noticed the lack of burst he had once.

McGahee only had one. And he was not the same prospect after that. HE was good but not what he could have really been. Miami fans noticed the lack of burst he had once.

He didn't play again at Miami after that injury, right? He declared, I thought.