Sign in to follow this  
BwareDWare94

The Gun Conversation

No they were not trained killers that is why I said skilled hands. And I never said that pulling a trigger wasnt easier. It is just to point out that people will find a way to kill each other regardless. The body count may decrease for a while but it will again go up and probably get higher than what it is.

Yeah, because we're going to keep killing each other at the same rate when the simplest mechanism with which we can kill is much more difficult to get.

The idea that we'll find new ways to kill is baseless, man, and if we can keep this civil (as I initially hoped for), I suggest you stop this whole "being a dick" thing. You aren't making your point. You're coming off as unwilling to consider opinions other than your own and quite frankly, your opinions seem no different to me than any of the NRA nutjobs out there.

Edited by BwareDWare94

I completely agree with you on this! I often get attacked for my views, and accused of being an "anti gun" loon. Fact is, I see the same issues as you. My father has always had a gun or 5 in the house to protect us and in turn I have always felt a sense of safety. However, as I said in my post about metal detectors yesterday, people with ccws and those who own guns undergo no psychiatric evaluations prior to doing so. Our own police force has to undergo and continually stay up to date on physc evaluations in order to stay on patrol. I also believe that stricter penalties for being irresponsible in the storage and security of your personal firearm should be put into place. As far as I am concerned, if a lack of responsibility on an individuals part has lead to another person using their firearm to kill another person, the person who owns that firearm has become an accessory to that murder.

People try to maintain that "back in the day" we were given the right by the second amendment to defend ourselves. What they forget all too often is that technology has come a long way since the 1700's. Guns are now infinitely more capable of mass destruction, and so much easier to produce, own, and use. Not to mention, in the 1700's I don't think anyone was twisted enough to turn their bayonet on innocent children.

The above quote was posted by a friend of mine on a discussion about all this. The second paragraph more so than the first but both really apply and I agree for the most part. Something needs to be done, not later. Now.

Also this isn't exactly about gun control but it goes along the lines with things that could possibly help prevent these tragedies.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/lizalong/i-am-adam-lanzas-mother-8ga2

The tragedy in Newtown isn't a gun issue. It's a mental health issue. Every time something like this happens (and it seems far too frequently), everyone freaks out about guns and how stricter laws need to be put in place. We argue, bicker back and forth, and demean others fro what we imply to be a "bad' opinion on the matter.

Then it happens again... And we wonder how this could have happened and the debates and arguments continue endlessly and without solution.

It keeps happening, because we don't know the problem, or we are just too quick to dismiss it. The problem isn't the guns -- it's the sick sick people using them. These people need help and we refuse to give it to them or even acknowledge that it's the real problem.

Here is a blog post from a mother in a very scary and similar situation Nancy Lanza found herself in countless times. She and thousands of other mothers (and fathers) need REAL HELP. The systems solution for her? Bring up charges and send your son to jail, then he will get help.

Educating ourselves is key. It's a very powerful piece, and worth reading.

http://anarchistsoccermom.blogspot.com/2012/12/thinking-unthinkable.html

But by all means, let's continue "The Gun Conversation".

Edited by Favre4Ever
  • Upvote 1

Also, being that I don't want to mare a completely valid post above....

The original post in this thread is absolutely beyond comprehension. "Let's talk about guns, but I am going to bar you from maybe the most valid point against my opinion"

I don't want to get into a shouting match or call people names... But, come on.

Let's talk about how bad cigarettes are but you can't provide evidence that it actually kills people. Come up with something else.

Let's talk about obesity in this country but not discuss the eating habits of Americans.

Favre, he just said that people don't think that stricter gun control would stop all gun crime. Basically he doesn't want people to assume thats anyones point.

Also, being that I don't want to mare a completely valid post above....

The original post in this thread is absolutely beyond comprehension. "Let's talk about guns, but I am going to bar you from maybe the most valid point against my opinion"

I don't want to get into a shouting match or call people names... But, come on.

Let's talk about how bad cigarettes are but you can't provide evidence that it actually kills people. Come up with something else.

Let's talk about obesity in this country but not discuss the eating habits of Americans.

Hold on now. You are misinterpreting the post to the Nth degree. I asked that people not counter us with "banning guns won't solve anything" because I, and any other supporter of stricter gun laws on this site, are not in favor of banning guns. What's so difficult about comprehending that? If I'm not telling you that we should ban guns, then your rebuttal to me should not be about how banning guns won't fix anything. This thread is not about banning guns.

I also asked that people not form rebuttals on the idea of stricter laws ending gun crime altogether. Nobody is stupid enough to think that gun crime would ever disappear.

How are those not two valid requests? Every time we get into this conversation, people form rebuttals around points we aren't making the first place. I never mentioned banning guns because I don't believe in a gun ban, so don't bring it up in your counter-argument. Fair enough?

I asked that you simply not beat a dead horse, especially when doing so avoids the questions that those of us in favor or stricter laws have posed.

JD, you're a smart dude, but just like the rest of us you feel strongly on this topic and I'll just assume that you misread my initial post. I didn't ask that you avoid valid counter-arguments. I asked that you avoid irrelevant counter-arguments. As I've already stated above, I'm not in favor of a ban, so don't refute me as if I am.

100% agreed that mental illness is the real problem, here, by the way, but Adam Lanza is never enabled to kill if his mother doesn't have her own personal arsenal in their home. Admit that. Based on what we know about his persona, he'd have likely been too reclusive to seek weaponry from any other source.

Edited by BwareDWare94
  • Upvote 1

The tragedy in Newtown isn't a gun issue. It's a mental health issue. Every time something like this happens (and it seems far too frequently), everyone freaks out about guns and how stricter laws need to be put in place. We argue, bicker back and forth, and demean others fro what we imply to be a "bad' opinion on the matter.

Then it happens again... And we wonder how this could have happened and the debates and arguments continue endlessly and without solution.

It keeps happening, because we don't know the problem, or we are just too quick to dismiss it. The problem isn't the guns -- it's the sick sick people using them. These people need help and we refuse to give it to them or even acknowledge that it's the real problem.

Here is a blog post from a mother in a very scary and similar situation Nancy Lanza found herself in countless times. She and thousands of other mothers (and fathers) need REAL HELP. The systems solution for her? Bring up charges and send your son to jail, then he will get help.

Educating ourselves is key. It's a very powerful piece, and worth reading.

http://anarchistsoccermom.blogspot.com/2012/12/thinking-unthinkable.html

But by all means, let's continue "The Gun Conversation".

Ya I believe the link you posted is to the same story to the link I posted above but on two different sites. Couldn't agree more.

If you choose to ignore obvious problems, fine. I'm not saying that my beliefs would actually change anything, but at the very least I'm in favor of trying to address said problems.

Edited by BwareDWare94
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Apparently not.

See, this is the lack of civility I was hoping to avoid. You don't think you disagree with me. You think I'm wrong and you're right (there's a difference between the two. Disagreement is still open to the opposing opinion). Can't you separate yourself from what you feel so strongly about, for the ten minutes you might look at this thread during the day, and not jump on the same "being a dick" bandwagon that Ngata jumped on? I'm fine with you disagreeing with me. Hell, I welcome it. I'm glad we have opposing opinions in this thread, but you aren't even considering my views. That's where the line in the sand is crossed. The likelihood is that neither of us is right, and that's why we should discuss this issue. To meet in the middle.

I did not expect to see this kind of assholery out of you, to be honest, but hey, we all go there sometimes. I'm sure you could've said the same about me, in some past instances.

I'm just asking you to be open to the idea of change. Think about it for a minute. Everything you and I believe on each end of the spectrum is entirely hypothetical. It's not like we have consistent statistics (thank God) here with which we can form valid opinions that may lead to solutions. Neither of us has the answer, but can we not, at least, search for it through discussion?

Calling names, throwing insults, vehemently standing our ground--is this going anywhere? Not when we aren't open to the other opinion (I'm just as guilty of that).

I have an idea. Let's divide the two primary issues we've highlighted in this thread: Mental illness and the availability of firearms.

Mental illness: This is incredibly difficult to address, because each mind is different. Each brain functions differently in some way or another. Everybody's personal experience is different. What answers could we possibly find past what we've already discovered? I hope to God I'm wrong, but I find mental illness far less addressable than the availability of firearms.

Availability of firearms: As you know if you've read my posts, I'm only in favor of making them harder to obtain. Is that such a bad idea?

Yeah, because we're going to keep killing each other at the same rate when the simplest mechanism with which we can kill is much more difficult to get.

The idea that we'll find new ways to kill is baseless, man, and if we can keep this civil (as I initially hoped for), I suggest you stop this whole "being a dick" thing. You aren't making your point. You're coming off as unwilling to consider opinions other than your own and quite frankly, your opinions seem no different to me than any of the NRA nutjobs out there.

Quite frankly, there are NO legitimate reasons to own an assault rifle. None. Whatsoever. I'm interested to see what cockamamie reasons people might come up with.

That was the 5th post in this thread. You posted. You alienated every single person who was in favor of of current gun laws when you said that. So dont give me this pious, sanctimonious, self-righteous bullshit about how you wanted to play nice from the start. Wake up and smell what you are shoveling.

And yeah because people didnt kill people before guns.....completely baseless.

When you stop typing out the same rhetoric about how guns are the problem and the real killers than we can talk. guns dont kill people, people kill people. A gun is nothing more than a paperweight if some mental motherfucker doesnt pick it up.

• Upvote 2

I can't speak for Bware, but I don't think gun control needs to be the only solution. Why can't we have more focus on mental health and stricter control of guns? Guns may not be the ones that make the decision to kill, but they certainly make killing a lot easier.

And as for Lanza's mom, I think the point is that even someone who owns guns with the absolute best intentions can not necessarily keep them from being used for harm.

• Upvote 1

I can't speak for Bware, but I don't think gun control needs to be the only solution. Why can't we have more focus on mental health and stricter control of guns? Guns may not be the ones that make the decision to kill, but they certainly make killing a lot easier.

And as for Lanza's mom, I think the point is that even someone who owns guns with the absolute best intentions can not necessarily keep them from being used for harm.

If they're kept locked in a safe, why not?

That would be ideal, but not foolproof. And theres no way to say "all guns have to be in a safe."

TURN OFF THE NEWS.......

"You want to know why. This may sound cynical, but here's why.

It's because of the way the media reports it. Flip on the news and watch how we treat the Batman theater shooter and the Oregon mall shooter like celebrities. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris are household names, but do you know the name of a single *victim* of Columbine? Disturbed

people who would otherwise just off themselves in their basements see the news and want to top it by doing something worse, and going out in a memorable way. Why a grade school? Why children? Because he'll be remembered as a horrible monster, instead of a sad nobody.

CNN's article says that if the body count "holds up", this will rank as the second deadliest shooting behind Virginia Tech, as if statistics somehow make one shooting worse than another. Then they post a video interview of third-graders for all the details of what they saw and heard while the shootings were happening. Fox News has plastered the killer's face on all their reports for hours. Any articles or news stories yet that focus on the victims and ignore the killer's identity? None that I've seen yet. Because they don't sell. So congratulations, sensationalist media, you've just lit the fire for someone to top this and knock off a day care center or a maternity ward next.

You can help by forgetting you ever read this man's name, and remembering the name of at least one victim. You can help by donating to mental health research instead of pointing to gun control as the problem. You can help by turning off the news."

Edited by SteelersNation36

It is still a very good point, regardless of who said it. I only know the name of one victim, and that's only because I know that Victor Cruz had his name on his shoes yesterday during the game.

But we spend all this time glorifying the shooter, as it were, giving him his twenty minutes of fame, and now every other nutcase sees this and understands they too will get twenty minutes of fame. I completely agree with the point, regardless of who actually said it to begin with.

I was going to post my thoughts more on this issue, as I found the article that SN and JD linked because of a friend, but JD has summed up pretty much everything I would have said.

The issue is exactly what Bware said: "I'm not saying that my beliefs would actually change anything, but at the very least I'm in favor of trying to address said problems." That's what people want to feel like. They want to feel like, hey, we're doing something about it. Maybe it won't work, maybe there is zero statistical evidence that it will work, but we're trying something. We can slap ourselves on the back and say, Good job, person in the mirror, you did something to try to avert any more tragedies like Newtown. People don't want to go into the thorny issues of mental health- and let's face it, there is no way Lanza wasn't mentally ill, no human being in their right mind would kill children at an elementary school- because there is no clear-cut solution that can be proposed. It's complex, it's difficult, and it's not as simple as there being stricter regulations on firearms.

Edited by Thanatos19

Where I'm from Wisconsin is one of the few states that has allowed concealed carry. I don't know what the rates have been as far as violent crime since the bill has been in place but nothing seems out of the ordinary. Lots of violent crime still occurs on a daily basis in Milwaukee so it doesn't seem as if the concealed carry law has decreased the rates at all.

As far as I'm concerned, I don't feel comfortable knowing people are carrying guns around me but that doesn't stop bad guys from doing it. Gun laws need to be heavily regulated, maybe do more than background checks. I don't think a background check has been enough for preventing tragedies and sometimes it seems too easy for people to access weapons. I think we have a right to protect ourselves and feel protected but at what cost? Bringing more of these lethal weapons into society might not be the right decision...I'm really torn on this issue.

Edited by PackIsBack

I don't personally think I've been all that disrespectful, JD. I'll take a little hit for the "no legitimate reasons to own an assault rifle" comment, but I truly believe that. I see no necessary reason for a general US citizen to own something with that much capability. You can say it's as excessive as any other consumable item, but the majority of other consumable items aren't exactly murder material.

As for douchebaggery and assholery and all of those fine little adjectives that describe the way we're reacting to each other--can we not agree that it's been a two way street, so far in this thread? We have strong opinions. We react to each other's strong opinions. I don't really understand how I'm the only guilty one, here. Call me out for this all you want, but admit it of yourself, as well. And don't blame me for it--I haven't been nearly as bad as some of you claim. We just happen to be on opposite ends of the spectrum, and the same insults and disrespect you accuse me of I see directed toward me from each of you.

Mental instability and the availability of firearms are two separated things, for sure, but to say that mental instability is the primary cause of all of these tragedies is a flawed opinion, too. What has mental instability done to all of the victims of shootings? It may be the catalyst that has made the perpetrators of such crimes want to kill in the first place, but I'd hate to be the person who had to tell one of those families that a bullet isn't want killed their child.

You can't sit back and say, as these things keep happening, particularly this year, that the availability of guns isn't part of the issue. Do you not remember the sheer amount of ammunition the Aurora shooter was able to receive through the mail? I don't recall the exact figure, but it was staggering.

I understand that some people don't want to see the train start rolling toward stricter gun laws, but I don't understand why we can't consider it as an option.

You keep bringing up the amount of people who use guns safely, as individuals and as families, but the options I'm outlining don't take firearms out of their hands. It just puts them through a more thorough process before they can obtain them, and what's wrong with that?

You brought up guns and video games in one of your points. I agree. We can't blame them entirely, but I admit that the unnecessarily violent nature of our games, not to mention that the term "game" is applied to virtually killing people, is at least somewhat disturbing to me. I'd never cite "video games" as the primary reason behind a kid killing somebody else, but I don't see how it can't contribute. The Columbine shooters were in to some nasty stuff, but that was online and the internet, without a doubt, holds far worse things than any Xbox or Playstation does.

Glad you aren't posting it because he's a celebrity since he didn't say it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/17/morgan-freeman-hoax-newtown-school-shooting-statement_n_2315848.html

Ahh, had a friend link it to me. I just liked the thoughts in the statement. You posting that it was fake doesn't take away that who ever said it made valid points but I don't think that's your reasoning behind telling me its fake anyways. Thanks for the info.

Ya.. I realized after the fact that the whole Morgan Freeman thing was a "hoax" but regardless of who said it... The words strike close to home. Just because it wasn't Morgan Freeman, doesn't mean what was said is any less true (As Thanatos said).

-------------------------------

And unfortunately you have been very disrespectful Bware. More so than anyone else in this thread, for what it's worth. And it hasn't been to just me. I read the thread before responding and you attitude towards others and those with differing opinions just isn't the way to behave. I had to restrain myself from saying anything regarding how you treated some other members in this thread, but figured it wasn't my place to say. They can defend themselves just fine.

You can think they are wrong, you can argue with them, you can discredit their opinions and you won't hear anything from me. I do the same thing and yes, occasionally go over board. But I really feel like I have kept it in check this thread. I knew coming in that it would be pretty evenly divided and made sure to argue your points and opinions, not you as a person.

To be quite honest, I am proud of myself for not completely lashing out at you for some of the things you said. The things that went beyond the discussion and onto a personal level.

I will not apologize for dismantling your train of thought. Taking your views on the subject of these tragedies and telling you exactly where you went wrong. I will not even admit that it was a "two-way street". I think it's pretty obvious that this was you driving a 16 wheeler the wrong direction down a one way street. Again, we've all been there.. I've done it a ton of times (although, I contend that this was not one of them). So I won't give you a speech or tell you how you should act.

But I will tell you how extremely disappointed I am with how you handled your responses and end it there.

Edited by Favre4Ever

Just some stats to liven up this thread and explain how criminals get their hands on weapons. I think it's best stated that these mass shootings are a mental health issue vs a gun control issue. :

PBS

Ask a cop on the beat how criminals get guns and you're likely to hear this hard boiled response: "They steal them." But this street wisdom is wrong, according to one frustrated Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) agent who is tired of battling this popular misconception. An expert on crime gun patterns, ATF agent Jay Wachtel says that most guns used in crimes are not stolen out of private gun owners' homes and cars. "Stolen guns account for only about 10% to 15% of guns used in crimes," Wachtel said. Because when they want guns they want them immediately the wait is usually too long for a weapon to be stolen and find its way to a criminal.

In fact, there are a number of sources that allow guns to fall into the wrong hands, with gun thefts at the bottom of the list. Wachtel says one of the most common ways criminals get guns is through straw purchase sales. A straw purchase occurs when someone who may not legally acquire a firearm, or who wants to do so anonymously, has a companion buy it on their behalf. According to a 1994 ATF study on "Sources of Crime Guns in Southern California," many straw purchases are conducted in an openly "suggestive" manner where two people walk into a gun store, one selects a firearm, and then the other uses identification for the purchase and pays for the gun. Or, several underage people walk into a store and an adult with them makes the purchases. Both of these are illegal activities.

The next biggest source of illegal gun transactions where criminals get guns are sales made by legally licensed but corrupt at-home and commercial gun dealers. Several recent reports back up Wachtel's own studies about this, and make the case that illegal activity by those licensed to sell guns, known as Federal Firearms Licensees (FFLs), is a huge source of crime guns and greatly surpasses the sale of guns stolen from John Q. Citizen. Like bank robbers, who are interested in banks, gun traffickers are interested in FFLs because that's where the guns are. This is why FFLs are a large source of illegal guns for traffickers, who ultimately wind up selling the guns on the street.

According to a recent ATF report, there is a significant diversion to the illegal gun market from FFLs. The report states that "of the 120,370 crime guns that were traced to purchases from the FFLs then in business, 27.7 % of these firearms were seized by law enforcement in connection with a crime within two years of the original sale. This rapid `time to crime' of a gun purchased from an FFL is a strong indicator that the initial seller or purchaser may have been engaged in unlawful activity."

The report goes on to state that "over-the-counter purchases are not the only means by which guns reach the illegal market from FFLs" and reveals that 23,775 guns have been reported lost, missing or stolen from FFLs since September 13, 1994, when a new law took effect requiring dealers to report gun thefts within 48 hours. This makes the theft of 6,000 guns reported in the CIR/Frontline show "Hot Guns" only 25% of all cases reported to ATF in the past two and one-half years.

Another large source of guns used in crimes are unlicensed street dealers who either get their guns through illegal transactions with licensed dealers, straw purchases, or from gun thefts. These illegal dealers turn around and sell these illegally on the street. An additional way criminals gain access to guns is family and friends, either through sales, theft or as gifts.

While many guns are taken off the street when people are arrested and any firearms in their possession are confiscated, a new study shows how easily arrestees believe they could illegally acquire another firearm. Supported by the National Institute of Justice and based on interviews with those recently arrested, the study acknowledges gun theft is common, with 13 percent of all arrestees interviewed admitting that they had stolen a gun. However a key finding is that "the illegal market is the most likely source" for these people to obtain a gun. "In fact, more than half the arrestees say it is easy to obtain guns illegally," the report states. Responding to a question of how they obtained their most recent handgun, the arrestees answered as follows: 56% said they paid cash; 15% said it was a gift; 10% said they borrowed it; 8% said they traded for it; while 5% only said that they stole it.

ATF officials say that only about 8% of the nation's 124,000 retail gun dealers sell the majority of handguns that are used in crimes. They conclude that these licensed retailers are part of a block of rogue entrepreneurs tempted by the big profits of gun trafficking. Cracking down on these dealers continues to be a priority for the ATF. What's needed, according to Wachtel, is better monitoring of the activities of legally licensed gun dealers. This means examining FFL paperwork to see where their guns are coming from, and making sure that those guns are being sold legally. But he says, "Let's be honest. If someone wants a gun, it's obvious the person will not have difficulty buying a gun, either legally or through the extensive United States black market."

• Upvote 1