housemd

UPDATE: Finley A Packer in 2013

I would say he has been somewhat better this latter part of the season. He doesn't have any dominating games, but has been more consistent. Still being paid too much though.

Ya... Funny that he looks somewhat okay after we leak that we want to cut his sorry butt. It's still time for him to go. His mouth and his contract are a burden to this team and we will be better if we rid ourselves of both.

I would say that I am sorry to see him go.... but I'm not.

The Green Bay Press-Gazette believes Packers coach Mike McCarthy's Tuesday praise of Jermichael Finley means he'll "almost certainly" be back in 2013.

McCarthy said he felt "very good about way (Finley) finished the year," and that he was a "different man from the bye week on." Packers TEs coach Jerry Fontenot agreed. "As the season wore on you could see a more confident guy on the field," Fontenot said. "You could see a guy that once he got his hands on the ball he was running like a maniac. ... I see him definitely in an ascending mode." It's doubtful Fontenot would describe a player as "ascending" if he didn't expect him to be back. Finley is signed for $4.45 million in 2013, though he's due a hefty $3.5 million roster bonus in March.

Source: Green Bay Press-Gazette

For the love of God, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Overreacting? Finley isn't bad if he just shuts up and plays. With Jennings most likely leaving, don't want too much change.

I will say that does McCarthy seem to be getting too soft. He needs to show some authority and get this team ready for next season.

What are the chances he continue to just shut up and play for an entire year?

The chances are almost zero.

UGH I don't want him around anymore! Regardless of how he finishes the season I doubt he'll be able to keep that out since he seems to be a natural loud-mouth.

And now we're back to where we were months ago.

League sources tell CBS' Jason La Canfora that Jermichael Finley is not expected to be with the Packers next season.

Finley is owed a $3.5 million roster bonus in March in addition to his $4.45 million in 2013 base salary. Coming off a season in which he seemed to clash with Aaron Rodgers while recording just 667 yards and two touchdowns in 16 games, we could certainly see the Pack moving on. However, some local reports have Finley sticking thanks to a mini-resurgence late in the season. Expect the Packers to hold off as long as possible on a decision here, in part so they can evaluate the health of potential replacement Andrew Quarless (torn ACL).

Source: CBS Sports

Whoot! Vin brings good news!

To be fair to this report and to even Finley himself... After the initial story broke, he put together maybe the most consistent (but not dominant) stretch of his career.

He has the talent, he just needs to shut up and play. He will probably explode with whomever he ends up playing for.

While Finley has pissed the majority of Packers fans off, I think he should stay. Quarless is coming off a nasty leg injury and didn't really look any good before the injury. DJ Williams hasn't shown much in his limited opportunities, so starting him or Quarless would be risky. With Driver retiring and Jennings most likely leaving, is losing another receiver that smart?

• Upvote 1

Limited opportunities is an understatement. 10-15 snaps per game isn't going to showcase his skills. He does need to work on actually, uh.. catching the football but he just needs more opportunities.

Between he and Ryan Taylor, who are more capable blockers than Finley, we will be fine regardless of what we choose.

I like DJ Williams but I don't see him as a starter at TE yet. He doesn't create the same mismatches that Finley does, and I just don't see him doing well as a starter right now. If Finley realizes he's on his last straw and plays like he did in the later half of the season, he is the better option.

The only reasons I could see Finley being cut would be if Thompson wants the cap space to pursue a free agent or to try re-signing Jennings.

When Finley was ON the 2nd half of the season, he was averaging 60ish yard per game I think. Williams, Taylor, and Quarless can easily make up for that.

Do they create the same mismatches? No. But very few guys in the league can at that position.

We'll be fine.

When Finley was ON the 2nd half of the season, he was averaging 60ish yard per game I think. Williams, Taylor, and Quarless can easily make up for that.

Do they create the same mismatches? No. But very few guys in the league can at that position.

We'll be fine.

But what's the reason for cutting him? I don't see him as a necessary cut as there is cap space for him, unless Thompson wanted to pursue somebody. His talking is irritating but Green Bay should let him play out his contract and go from there.

Because I don't see the point in keeping him. Whether we need the cash or not, there is no reason to be paying a mediocre at best player that kind of money. If he was averaging 80-100+ yards, sure.. But, there is no point. We drafted these young kids for a reason... And if we don't give them a chance, we are really doing everyone an injustice.

Jermichael Finley puts his chances of remaining in Green Bay at "50/50."

"I would love to stay there," he said. "There's no doubt that I want to be there for life. But it's a business and the business will tell you otherwise." CBS' Jason La Canfora has reported Finley is not expected back, but a league source tells the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel it's a "coin flip." The Green Bay Press-Gazette postulated in January that Finley would "almost certainly" be back. Finley is owed a $3.5 million roster bonus in March, so his future will become crystal clear in a matter of weeks.

Alright I haven't read through this whole thing, but I was just curious if this means there is a chance Jennings remains in Green Bay?

Per Rotoworld.com:

After listening to coach Mike McCarthy's Combine presser, ESPN Milwaukee's Jason Wilde believes it's "almost impossible" to imagine the Packers parting ways with Jermichael Finley this offseason.

Finley underachieved (again) in 2012 and is owed a $3.5 million roster bonus next month, but it sounds like the Packers plan to pay it. "Really in the second half (of the season), I thought things started clicking and he looked like his old self," said McCarthy of Finley. "I was very pleased with the way he finished the year. ... When you look at Jermichael and you ... talk to any of the defensive guys that played against him, he’s a matchup challenge for defenses." Feb 23 - 10:38 AM

Source: ESPN Milwaukee

Wow. Way to get my hopes up. Title says he won't play for us, news story says he probably will.

Sad Panda.

There's still hope for JD.

The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports the Packers' organization is "torn" on whether to retain Jermichael Finley for 2013.

The coaching staff and GM Ted Thompson favor keeping Finley, while "members of the personnel department" want him released. If the Packers did cut Finley, they could retain free agent Greg Jennings via the franchise tag. Meanwhile, extensions for Aaron Rodgers and Clay Matthews loom. Finley's 2013 cap number ($8.75 million) is slated to rank second to only Rodgers ($9.75 million) on the team.

I wish they would hurry up and get A-rods deal done. It is a huge bargaining chip for us and it will tell me how bad we get raped on Flacco's deal.

In all honesty if he shuts up and lets his play do the talking like he did towards the end of last year then I'd be ok with one more year of Finley. I just hope that he bucks up his idea's and comes to play and work hard for the team. He has talent just needs to work to reach its peak.

Wither he does or not who knows but he looked promising end of season just gone

If they keep Finley, the fucking narcissistic and inconsistent headcase that he is, at fucking $8.75 million, I'll laugh my ass off.

Apparently the front office is split about 50/50 on whether to keep him or not. Ted seems to be on his side, while a lot of the personnel department wants him gone, not only for his attitude... but the fact that he will be the 2nd largest cap number in 2013.

The cap number alone is a joke. 2nd highest paid TE this season if everything stays the same.

I don't trust that when Finley takes the field that he'll get the job done. He's far too inconsistent and I don't think his attitude and behavior on and off the field fits the team we've put together in Green Bay. I'm still holding out hope that we release him. He's not worth the money or the drama.