Sign in to follow this  
Omerta

Obama orders a pay raise for congress.

President Barack Obama gave a New Year's gift to returning members of Congress, federal workers and Vice President Joe Biden on Thursday, signing an executive order calling for an end to a years-long pay freeze.

As of March 27, 2013, federal employees will see a half-percent to one percent pay increase, marking the end of a pay freeze that has been in place since late 2010. Congress hasn't seen a pay raise since 2009.

According to the order, Biden's pay will increase from $225,521 to $231,900 a year, before taxes. House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) will see his salary increased to $224,500 and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) will take home an annual pay of $194,400 after his raise.

While Obama's order made no mention of merit for such a raise, HuffPost's Amanda Terkel reported on Friday that the 112th Congress is set to end the session as the most unproductive since the 1940s, with only 219 bills passed by the body becoming law. The raise won't take place until the 113th Congress, meaning that outgoing members will see no effect from the order.

Obama ordered the raise as he continues to negotiate unsuccessfully with congressional leaders to find a deal in order to avoid the fiscal cliff at the end of the year. If no agreement is met, over $500 billion in planned tax increases and spending cuts will be implemented.

Prepare for Pissed.

I have never been a fan but you give the most inept congress since the 40's as we are tumbling off a fiscal cliff and you think they deserve a raise. I never thought the man was a leader but never thought he was the anti-christ either. This makes me want to fucking puke. Obama is such a spinless coward and special kind of piece of shit....

He says take from the wealthy...looks like he doesnt practice what he preaches because he could trim a lot of fat of the budget if payed congress what they were worth....not a fucking thing. I like how an office that started out as a public service has become one of the biggest rapes in the economy and a lucrative racket.

I love waking up every morning and seeing the systematic rape of our country from something that made young men grow up proud ot live in, enough so to fight in die in the belief that our liberties were worth fighting for....now we should be ashamed of our "leaders."

Edited by Ngata_Chance
  • Upvote 1

Its nearly a time to revolt. How can you give congress a raise when they haven't struck a deal that could cause a major economic collapse.

Isn't this how the real world works? You prove your incompetence in the work place, and you get awesome raises?!

• Upvote 1

Its nearly a time to revolt. How can you give congress a raise when they haven't struck a deal that could cause a major economic collapse.

We would lose and lose badly. The government could just drone bomb the fuck out of us. They wouldn't even have to worry about using the army against us.

Big Brother sure loves their drone strikes, don't they.

Guest Phailadelphia

Isn't this how the real world works? You prove your incompetence in the work place, and you get awesome raises?!

If corporate America is any indication, the answer is yes.

I've always liked the idea that Congress shouldn't get paid if they don't pass a balanced budget

I've always liked the idea that Congress shouldn't get paid if they don't pass a balanced budget

Talk about motivation.

Soooooo never. Or do we start taking money away after two presidents of pure ineptitude by both sides.

Congress should be on a scale basis in terms of pay, meaning that the amount of problems that they adequately solve, the more money they get paid. I don't know how the specifics would work, but it would incentivize working together to get things accomplished! Their current behaviour is a fuckin disgrace and the current members, from both parties, should be removed and they should just start over again!

Washington and the other founding fathers are probably crying in their graves over the state of American democracy, and how people screw the hard working American people! It makes me sick!

We would lose and lose badly. The government could just drone bomb the fuck out of us. They wouldn't even have to worry about using the army against us.

They could attempt to use the drone strikes. But I have a feel the people that know how to use them wouldn't do it to their fellow family members and friends. IT doesn't have to be a deadly revolt either.

I assure you all, the Tits and Ass Party will never condone pay raises for a Congress that doesn't do it's job!

There is absolutely NOTHING new about this, it happens every couple of years regardless of the state of our economy. The government will NEVER elect to not approve a raise in their own pay. They never have, as far as I know.

There is absolutely NOTHING new about this, it happens every couple of years regardless of the state of our economy. The government will NEVER elect to not approve a raise in their own pay. They never have, as far as I know.

Doesn't make it ok. It's funny how congress gets a raise but can't do their jobs. CEO's get bonuses for making hundreds of millions running our economy and the world's economy into the ground. What do we get? We get to pay for it. We're being taxed more, paid less, gas is more expensive...hell, EVERYTHING is more expensive. If I failed to get my job done over and over, I would be fired. Where's OUR bailout? Why are we giving raises to people who are already either millionaires or at the very least not hurting financially whatsoever? Fuck that and you're damn right I have a problem with it.

Doesn't make it ok. It's funny how congress gets a raise but can't do their jobs. CEO's get bonuses for making hundreds of millions running our economy and the world's economy into the ground. What do we get? We get to pay for it. We're being taxed more, paid less, gas is more expensive...hell, EVERYTHING is more expensive. If I failed to get my job done over and over, I would be fired. Where's OUR bailout? Why are we giving raises to people who are already either millionaires or at the very least not hurting financially whatsoever? Fuck that and you're damn right I have a problem with it.

I wasn't saying that it was OK, I was just kind of surprised that it caught people off-guard. I thought it was common knowledge that our "leaders" get pay raises quite often. They are the ones who vote whether or not to raise their salaries, so of course it passes every year. Were it up to us, the people, they would never get a raise and they know it.

He can veto it though. I would have gained a lot of respect for the man if he said,"No, you are not doing your job. Why should you get a pay raise ?" If he said something like that he could recoup a lot of his image in my eyes.

However no he does not. He does what he has done his whole presidency and showed an amazing lack of backbone. He would rather be a liked yes man than stand up for what should be done.

I will not say he is as bad as Bush but he is getting awfully damn close. Fucking loser.

At least if he vetos it, it gets overridden and still goes through, but at least he gives the appearance he gives a shit. Nah fuck it why do that when you can just sign it and be the hero to congress a the expense of the people.

I wasn't saying that it was OK, I was just kind of surprised that it caught people off-guard. I thought it was common knowledge that our "leaders" get pay raises quite often. They are the ones who vote whether or not to raise their salaries, so of course it passes every year. Were it up to us, the people, they would never get a raise and they know it.

how great would it be if that was an item on the November ballot every four years? why is there no push for that?

though this was actually an executive order removing a pay freeze, no Congressional action was involved

He can veto it though. I would have gained a lot of respect for the man if he said,"No, you are not doing your job. Why should you get a pay raise ?" If he said something like that he could recoup a lot of his image in my eyes.

problem with that is he does have to work with Congress to accomplish anything and vetoing Congressional pay raises is a quick way to piss them off

Edited by oochymp

problem with that is he does have to work with Congress to accomplish anything and vetoing Congressional pay raises is a quick way to piss them off

Again they are not working together as of now anyway. And they are just fucking him over when they can anyway and he is just taking it. Would you rather have crooked members of congress in your pocket or 311 million Americans who are just chomping at the bit to get these people out ?

Make no mistake we are definitely getting to the point where we want change and are willing to act on it. We just need the names. If he vetoed this and then congress started these half ass reprisals all he has to do is call them out and from then on that person would know they are living on borrowed time because they WILL NOT be back.

If he wants things to go his way then he is going to have to start looking out for us instead of being a spineless bastard. This has been America's problem for a while now. We have no leader we can believe in. That is why the American people do not give two fucks who is elected because they know we are screwed either way ewe just try to pick the lesser of two evils. I think both sides do that. We have had nobody who is willing to go to bat for us since Kennedy and it si no coincidence we have started to undo the American Dream because it is dead and there is no reviving it until we have a leader who believes in us.

As of now we just have one who reads cue cards and deepthroats anybody wearing a tie or who is a Muslim with a sob story.

Edited by Ngata_Chance

you're forgetting, Obama can't run for a third term, which means he doesn't have to care about us anymore :p:troll:

The thing is though, the reason congress gets pay raises is that they want congress to pay enough that anyone could afford to quit their job and work in congress. If congress wasn't paid, or only got nominal pay, then only rich people can actually be congressmen.

I know it works out that way regardless, but thats what the logic is.

This seems ridiculous to have a pay raise when they already make a lot of money. I think raises should be treated the same as it is for normal Americans - you should only be receiving a raise for exceptional performance and results. Since they hardly ever agree and move forward as a united front I think this raise is unwarranted. Considering there are so many more pressing issues in our country I'm very disappointed to see that this happened.

• Upvote 1

They aren't even trying to hide their corruption and arrogance anymore. All I can say is that at least there is hope. Rand Paul is a frontrunner for 2016, Ted Cruz, Justin Amash, Thomas Massie, and Mike Lee are all liberty-loving Congressmen newly elected and more are coming next round. There is hope if these liberty politicians can get their way. The obstacle is that the party establishment is set on not allowing them to get in. Rand is very popular among the people, but among Beltway elites, he got 0% support. Those elites control FOX, and FOX controls who the GOP nominates. Here's to some major victories for libertarians in the coming years! :beerchug:

Edited by WindyCitySports

Guest Phailadelphia

They aren't even trying to hide their corruption and arrogance anymore. All I can say is that at least there is hope. Rand Paul is a frontrunner for 2016, Ted Cruz, Justin Amash, Thomas Massie, and Mike Lee are all liberty-loving Congressmen newly elected and more are coming next round. There is hope if these liberty politicians can get their way. The obstacle is that the party establishment is set on not allowing them to get in. Rand is very popular among the people, but among Beltway elites, he got 0% support. Those elites control FOX, and FOX controls who the GOP nominates. Here's to some major victories for libertarians in the coming years! :beerchug:

How much do you know about Ted Cruz? Or do you just like him because he's a libertarian?

How much do you know about Ted Cruz? Or do you just like him because he's a libertarian?

A good amount. Why?