Bay

Ok TGP, It's time for a Top 10 RB list

I am a fan of multi-dimensional backs, I am going to try and focus on real-life talent over fantasy production, and I prefer making my own projections rather than relying too heavily on past performance.

1. Adrian Peterson :Vikings: Ought to top everyone's list

2. C.J. Spiller :Bills: He's the most elusive running back in the league and deadly in the passing game. Will prove his spot on this list in a featured role in 2013.

3. Doug Martin :Bucs: Great quickness, makes people miss, kills you in the running game, and catches a lot of passes out of the backfield. He's very good and getting better.

4. Marshawn Lynch :Seahawks: His lesser ability as a receiver hurts him here, but he still racks up tons of yards after contact and makes things happen even when he doesn't have much help.

5. Lesean McCoy :Eagles: Runs inside, outside, catches passes, and makes people missed. Under-used by Andy Reid.

6. Ray Rice :Ravens: Bernard Pierce will eat into his 2013 production, but in real life Rice is still a stud in all facets of the game. Though he only get 28.5 yards on that 4th & 29.

7. Trent Richardson :Browns: Projecting here, but ability as runner/receiver looks promising and his ability to outrun people or break tackles should be dangerous.

8. Jamaal Charles :Chiefs: Follows blocks well and eats up ground like lightning. Not as elusive as you'd like and doesn't create much on his own.

9. Chris Johnson :Titans: Similar to Charles, but doesn't follow blocks as well. Should post big numbers again behind improved OL due to his speed.

10. Matt Forte :Bears: Underrated and underused- equally effective as a runner/receiver and should show out in 2013 under Trestman.

Edited by KempBolt

I think I'll give that title to LeSean McCOy :yep:

Not me, but OK.

Man, I searched for other top tens and couldn't find any. How do I delete this thread?

Not me, but OK.

Man, I searched for other top tens and couldn't find any. How do I delete this thread?

It was on page 3. http://www.thegridironpalace.com/forums/index.php?/topic/63489-ok-tgp-its-time-for-a-top-10-rb-list/page__st__60

A mod can do it. Just copy and paste your post and put it in the other thread. A mod will eventually delete it.

7. Jamaal Charles :Chiefs: Follows blocks well and eats up ground like lightning. Not as elusive as you'd like and doesn't create much on his own.

lol what? Charles isn't elusive?

lol what? Charles isn't elusive?

Not as elusive as guys like Spiller, McCoy, and Rice. Or at least not last year. He forced 24 missed tackles over the course of the season and he doesn't break many tackles. Great running back, no doubt. But just not as elusive as some of the guys ahead of him. I put that part in there by way of explanation because I figured people would think I had him too low. To me, he's Chris Johnson with better blocking. Still projects to being the 7th best RB in my eyes, and could easily do better than guys like Richardson and McCoy depending on how their new offenses work out.

KempBolt, I'm not sure which is worse, that you ranked Spiller #2 overall or that you left Ray Rice and Arian Foster out of your top ten completely, both are pretty far off IMO

KempBolt, I'm not sure which is worse, that you ranked Spiller #2 overall or that you left Ray Rice and Arian Foster out of your top ten completely, both are pretty far off IMO

I can't believe I left Ray Rice off. That was a mistake.

As for Foster, that was purposeful. I think he's overrated and the by product of the same system that's given us Alfred Morris.

And like I said, this is my projection. Spiller was the most dangerous back in football a year ago and will be featured in Marrone's offense. I think he breaks 2000 all purpose yards easily, barring injury.

Adjusted for my gaffe in leaving off Ray Rice.

I'm not the one to anoint players prematurely based off one season of production. I can understand the potential aspect but being consistency is what's important to me. Jamaal Charles is a lock for top 5 in my opinion His production has been amazing his last 3 healthy years. He's averaged 5.8 YPC throughout his career. That's unheard of. What's even more unheard of is the record he set in 2010 averaging 6.4 YPC throughout the season. He has yet to have a season where he's averaging less then 5 yards a carry. That's just insane. He makes the most out of his carries and is a home run threat anywhere on the field.

Edited by dutchff7

I'm more impressed by guys who can make something happen on their own when they don't get the blocking than guys who outrun the field when they do get the blocking. It's a preference. I mean, you have Charles at 2 and Chris Johnson at 8. What is the difference in those guys's skillet and ability? To me, they're almost the same back but one has had plus run blocking and the other hasn't.

EDIT: Also, I'm purposefully making some admittedly big leaps with my projections. But I find it boring not to and this is all for fun, so I figure why not.

Edited by KempBolt

I'm more impressed by guys who can make something happen on their own when they don't get the blocking than guys who outrun the field when they do get the blocking. It's a preference. I mean, you have Charles at 2 and Chris Johnson at 8. What is the difference in those guys's skillet and ability? To me, they're almost the same back but one has had plus run blocking and the other hasn't.

This isn't the same Chiefs O-line that Priest Holmes ran behind. Jamaal Charles isn't a product of his O-line. He does create a lot on his on. His change of direction is deadly because of his acceleration and speed. His acceleration is amazing and gets up to top speed very fast. After his initial cut, he gets up to top speed pretty fast. Really, he doesn't lose that much speed so a lot of those would be broken tackles don't even get the chance because they can't get to him in time. Jamaal and C.J's style is similar but Charles has been more productive lately.

I can't believe I left Ray Rice off. That was a mistake.

As for Foster, that was purposeful. I think he's overrated and the by product of the same system that's given us Alfred Morris.

And like I said, this is my projection. Spiller was the most dangerous back in football a year ago and will be featured in Marrone's offense. I think he breaks 2000 all purpose yards easily, barring injury.

fair enough on Rice, it happens, and I can understand the argument on Foster, though I don't agree with it, I can understand it, but I can't understand ranking Spiller at #2, I'm not sure I buy the argument that he'll have a bigger role since he had 250 touches last year (207 rushes and 43 receptions) which is over 100 more than Fred Jackson had (115 rushes and 34 receptions) and Jackson's still on the roster so he's still going to take some carries, there just aren't that many more touches available, and it's hard to see him repeating his 6 ypc from last season after the team lost one of the best guards in the league, I suppose time will tell but I really don't see him as the #2 back in the league

1. Adrian Peterson. :Vikings: Because I'm not crazy.

2. Marshawn Lynch. :Seahawks: I'm a sucker for those bellcow back where you can rely on them 20 times a game. Lynch is one of the few left.

3. Jamaal Charles. :Chiefs: I'm stuck watching this guy make something from nothing year in and year out. Elusive, and a threat out of the backfield.

4. Arian Foster. :Texans: I get that he's in a ZBS, and he doesn't always produce at a high level, but he's a reliable back and those go far.

5. Frank Gore. :49ers: This guy is ageless, just plug him in and you get that consistency year in and year out.

6. MJD. :jags: He was hurt last season, but he was the ultimate triple threat runningback when healthy.

7. CJ Spiller. :Bills: Might seem low for such a playmaker, and it's true that he could easily climb this list, but I think he's strictly a back who needs to split carries. Not a bad thing, but I can't put him over bellcows. Taking a lot of carries as a running back is a skill.

8. Ray Rice. :Ravens: Amazing dual threat, and carries the Ravens offense in the regular season. He's like the Peyton Manning of runningbacks though.

9. Doug Martin. :Bucs: He's already developing into quite the three down runningback. One of the toughest threats to cover as a pass option, and hes a heck of a runner too.

10. Matt Forte. :Bears: Has to put up with a crap offensive line, but he shows up a powerful runningback who is quite a threat as a receiver and a blocker.

---

Honorable mentions: Alfred Morris, Chris Johnson, Shady McCoy, Stevan Ridley and Ahmad Bradshaw (best blocking back)

Also, LeSean McCoy led the league (tied with Adrian Peterson) with broken tackles being under utilized and being out for 4 games.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2013/broken-tackles-2012

Can I say most elusive RB now? :laugh:

Spiller forced 66 missed tackles on 250 touches.

This isn't the same Chiefs O-line that Priest Holmes ran behind. Jamaal Charles isn't a product of his O-line. He does create a lot on his on. His change of direction is deadly because of his acceleration and speed. His acceleration is amazing and gets up to top speed very fast. After his initial cut, he gets up to top speed pretty fast. Really, he doesn't lose that much speed so a lot of those would be broken tackles don't even get the chance because they can't get to him in time. Jamaal and C.J's style is similar but Charles has been more productive lately.

Charles has had way more opportunities and he forced 24 missed tackles last year compared to Spiller's 66.

fair enough on Rice, it happens, and I can understand the argument on Foster, though I don't agree with it, I can understand it, but I can't understand ranking Spiller at #2, I'm not sure I buy the argument that he'll have a bigger role since he had 250 touches last year (207 rushes and 43 receptions) which is over 100 more than Fred Jackson had (115 rushes and 34 receptions) and Jackson's still on the roster so he's still going to take some carries, there just aren't that many more touches available, and it's hard to see him repeating his 6 ypc from last season after the team lost one of the best guards in the league, I suppose time will tell but I really don't see him as the #2 back in the league

Early indications from the Bills camp are that Marrone is going to feature Spiller. So I'm making a bold prediction.

Spiller forced 66 missed tackles on 250 touches.

Perhaps I'm reading the chart wrong but I don't see where you get 66 from.

Charles has had way more opportunities and he forced 24 missed tackles last year compared to Spiller's 66.

My main argument for Charles wasn't broken tackles. I was just explaining why his broken tackles aren't as high as some other running backs which is simply because he zips right past most would be tacklers. I was also defending that he wasn't a product of his O-line and he does create stuff on his own unlike you said. 0:20 in the video is a good example :laugh:

Just a few things to share my thoughts on before I share my list:

1. ANY list with Charles no on it is a joke. Kayho, you're fucking dismissed.

2. Any list with Chris Johnson in the top five is a head scratcher. Before I get a flood of excuses from irrational Titans fans, let me just tell you that I don't care about your bad O-line, horrible QB, 8 in the box, or whatever else you have concocted.

The Chiefs have had the WORST QB situation in the league for years now, shotty O-line play, and teams knowing that when Charles is in the backfield he's probably getting the ball, yet I don't go around making excuses for him. Wanna know why. I DON'T HAVE TO. Even with all of this disfunction, a torn ACL, and fail situations, he's managed to rack up an average of 1,500 rushing yards in his last two full seasons and the highest all-time YPA of any RB with qualifying carries.

3. I like the Muscle Hamster as much as the next guy, but if it's taboo to put RG3, Wilson, or Luck anywhere a top ten list because they were rookies, how is it a MUST to have Dougie on a top ten list? CJ had 2,000 yards. Now people routinely lol him, or at least doubt. Cadillac Williams was a monster for a year. He's not even on a top 50 list now. My point is that one year a HOFer does not make. The kid is probably gonna be a stud, but be patient. He's gotta do it for at least one more year for me to put him up there with the big dogs.

4. Kemp, I respect your opinions and enjoy your posts, and I can even appreciate that you used logic in ranking Charles outside of your top 5—as ridiculous as it seems to me—but what I can't stomach is that you ranked Trent Richardson OVER him. The kid didn't even go over 1,000, averages 3.6 YPC, and was a rookie. For those keeping score at home, Trent had only 18 fewer carries than Charles—due to missing a game—and 541 fewer yards. Plus Charles had 1.7 more yards per carry than the kid. :gtfo:

1. AP/AD-The guy is Right Guard sport stick. Anyone else here would be uncivilized.

2. Jamaal Charles-He rushes for volume as well as average. He's consistently one of the best with everyone knowing he's getting the ball. He's got no passing game and still balls out.

3. Arian Foster-This dude runs fast, hard, and smart. He's always finding the right hole to hit, makes decisive cuts, doesn't avoid contact, and consistently shows up on top of his game. Plus, he's already putting together an impressive playoff resume. The one bright spot in a bleak big-game team.

4. Marshawn Lynch-BEAST MODE. Nothing else need be said.

5. LeSean McCoy-Versatile, quick, hard-nosed and dangerous. Couldn't leave him out of the top five. Another good back on a bad team, McCoy makes the most out of his few opportunities. My only knock on him is that he seems to get stuffed a lot in the red zone.

6. Ray Rice-another versatile, elusive back, but not afraid to keep it inside the tackles. He does whatever he's called on to do for his teams success. He's even a pretty good blocker for his size. Flacco gets the money, but Rice gets it done.

7. MJD-might be declining a LITTLE bit, but I can't pocket Hercules has earned his cool-ass nickname. He's like a small speedy wrecking ball who rarely shies away from contact.

8. Darren McFadden-Despite a history of injury, when he's on the field he's the one and only shining star in an otherwise cloudy sky. The Raiders are terrible, and as a Chiefs fan I love it, but as deep as my hate for that joke of a franchise goes, I have to give credit is due. It's due to McFadden.

9. Frank Gore-Everyone keeps waiting for him to lose a step. At his age, what he's still able to do is nothing short of remarkable, especially with him being the work-horse for a team that has had no passing game the whole time he's been there.

10. C.J. Spiller-Hard to deny his talent, but his body of work just isn't large enough for me to have complete faith in him just yet. I couldn't leave him off the list in good consciance, but I couldn't justify having him over any of those other guys.

Honorable mention to Matt Forte. He's a damn good back. There's only ten spots though, and I'd take these other ten guys over him. Nothing personal to any Bears fans out there.

As I previously stated, I don't include rookies in top ten lists. Nothing personal to you guys here at the Buccaneer palace, but I gotta see an encore before I move the kids in with the grown-ups. Sorry, no one hit wonders.

No CJ2YPC. I just don't like him. I'd take about 15 or more guys over him. That's the beauty of personal preference. Welcome to America.

• Upvote 1

Just a few things to share my thoughts on before I share my list:

1. ANY list with Charles no on it is a joke. Kayho, you're fucking dismissed.

2. Any list with Chris Johnson in the top five is a head scratcher. Before I get a flood of excuses from irrational Titans fans, let me just tell you that I don't care about your bad O-line, horrible QB, 8 in the box, or whatever else you have concocted.

The Chiefs have had the WORST QB situation in the league for years now, shotty O-line play, and teams knowing that when Charles is in the backfield he's probably getting the ball, yet I don't go around making excuses for him. Wanna know why. I DON'T HAVE TO. Even with all of this disfunction, a torn ACL, and fail situations, he's managed to rack up an average of 1,500 rushing yards in his last two full seasons and the highest all-time YPA of any RB with qualifying carries.

3. I like the Muscle Hamster as much as the next guy, but if it's taboo to put RG3, Wilson, or Luck anywhere a top ten list because they were rookies, how is it a MUST to have Dougie on a top ten list? CJ had 2,000 yards. Now people routinely lol him, or at least doubt. Cadillac Williams was a monster for a year. He's not even on a top 50 list now. My point is that one year a HOFer does not make. The kid is probably gonna be a stud, but be patient. He's gotta do it for at least one more year for me to put him up there with the big dogs.

4. Kemp, I respect your opinions and enjoy your posts, and I can even appreciate that you used logic in ranking Charles outside of your top 5—as ridiculous as it seems to me—but what I can't stomach is that you ranked Trent Richardson OVER him. The kid didn't even go over 1,000, averages 3.6 YPC, and was a rookie. For those keeping score at home, Trent had only 18 fewer carries than Charles—due to missing a game—and 541 fewer yards. Plus Charles had 1.7 more yards per carry than the kid. :gtfo:

1. AP/AD-The guy is Right Guard sport stick. Anyone else here would be uncivilized.

2. Jamaal Charles-He rushes for volume as well as average. He's consistently one of the best with everyone knowing he's getting the ball. He's got no passing game and still balls out.

3. Arian Foster-This dude runs fast, hard, and smart. He's always finding the right hole to hit, makes decisive cuts, doesn't avoid contact, and consistently shows up on top of his game. Plus, he's already putting together an impressive playoff resume. The one bright spot in a bleak big-game team.

4. Marshawn Lynch-BEAST MODE. Nothing else need be said.

5. LeSean McCoy-Versatile, quick, hard-nosed and dangerous. Couldn't leave him out of the top five. Another good back on a bad team, McCoy makes the most out of his few opportunities. My only knock on him is that he seems to get stuffed a lot in the red zone.

6. Ray Rice-another versatile, elusive back, but not afraid to keep it inside the tackles. He does whatever he's called on to do for his teams success. He's even a pretty good blocker for his size. Flacco gets the money, but Rice gets it done.

7. MJD-might be declining a LITTLE bit, but I can't pocket Hercules has earned his cool-ass nickname. He's like a small speedy wrecking ball who rarely shies away from contact.

8. Darren McFadden-Despite a history of injury, when he's on the field he's the one and only shining star in an otherwise cloudy sky. The Raiders are terrible, and as a Chiefs fan I love it, but as deep as my hate for that joke of a franchise goes, I have to give credit is due. It's due to McFadden.

9. Frank Gore-Everyone keeps waiting for him to lose a step. At his age, what he's still able to do is nothing short of remarkable, especially with him being the work-horse for a team that has had no passing game the whole time he's been there.

10. C.J. Spiller-Hard to deny his talent, but his body of work just isn't large enough for me to have complete faith in him just yet. I couldn't leave him off the list in good consciance, but I couldn't justify having him over any of those other guys.

Honorable mention to Matt Forte. He's a damn good back. There's only ten spots though, and I'd take these other ten guys over him. Nothing personal to any Bears fans out there.

As I previously stated, I don't include rookies in top ten lists. Nothing personal to you guys here at the Buccaneer palace, but I gotta see an encore before I move the kids in with the grown-ups. Sorry, no one hit wonders.

No CJ2YPC. I just don't like him. I'd take about 15 or more guys over him. That's the beauty of personal preference. Welcome to America.

Good post. I dig the list; even with McFadden up there. I like McFadden a lot. I strongly believe that if he could stay healthy, he would be a top 5 back easy in my opinion. But I also do believe that staying healthy is apart of being a top running back. I don't see how someone that is always hurt and hasn't put together a full season can be in the elite / great RB category. He's shown us flashes of dominance but can't put together a full season. Also, only one 1,000 yard season in five seasons. I'm sure he would have more but he can't stay healthy. His injuries won't allow him to be great.

I agree with you on the rookie stance. To be put in categories with other great and elite talents, you have to prove consistency to earn your stripes. You don't earn your stripes for one good/great year. Trent being over Charles was hard to stomach as well. He definitely proved to be a tough ground and pound running back and could possibly be the second coming of a Marshawn Lynch. His potential is there but did have a very low average last year. I wouldn't bet against him and think he will be a good RB in this league but he has to show us more. As far as Doug Martin, I love the kid and think he will be like a Brian Westbrook but more explosive. He proved to be a dual threat and had an amazing year. He did hit a wall during the season but still put up great numbers. Needs another good showing in year 2.

You expressed your dislike for Chris Johnson but for him not to be in the top 10 is kind of crazy. A lot of people don't like him. Not sure if it's because of the Titans fans praise him as though he's the best thing since sliced bread or because of him personally but his production is undeniable. No RB has had better production than Chris Johnson in the past 5 years except Adrian Peterson and that's a fact. He had one off year when he barely reached 1,000 yards but he's averaged like 1300 yards throughout his career so far. Only A.P has more. He belongs in the top 10.

Edited by dutchff7

You expressed your dislike for Chris Johnson but for him not to be in the top 10 is kind of crazy. A lot of people don't like him. Not sure if it's because of the Titans fans praise him as though he's the best thing since sliced bread or because of him personally but his production is undeniable. No RB has had better production than Chris Johnson in the past 5 years except Adrian Peterson and that's a fact. He had one off year when he barely reached 1,000 yards but he's averaged like 1300 yards throughout his career so far. Only A.P has more. He belongs in the top 10.

I couldn't see anyone on my list to take off for CJ. Since it seems you'd like me to further explain myself, for you I gladly will. He's wildly inconsistent. Apart from his 2009 season where, let's face it, he was a monster, he's not really reliable imo. He'll go from amazing and efficient to unremarkable and ineffective.

Here's a little fact that you may not have known: in CJ's 5 seasons as a full time back, he's rushed for more than 70 yards in 5 straight games exactly once. In comparison to... Let's use Jamaal Charles, for example, who has 1 season as a full-time starter, he's accomplished that feat three times. In his last three seasons—barring 2011, ACL—he's done it.

Again, excepting 2009, CJ has averaged less than 4 yards per carry in more than half of his games. He had seasons with 9, 10, 6, and 6 games respectively over the 4 YPC mark. Going by that, his most consistent season matches Jamaal's worst. Since 2009, barring 2011 where he missed the entire season, in those three years he's had 10, 15, and 10 games respectively over the 4 YPC mark. That's four more games one season quicker.

Now in 2009, the kid was incredible. As earlier stated though, one year a HOFer does not make. 2,000 yards is a remarkable season, but it doesn't make a remarkable career, and imo he hasn't had that. He's as good as he is bad. I look at him like the Jay Cutler of RBs, and that's not a good thing to be.

Wow. I do not like Chris Johnson much, but calling him the Jay Cutler of QBs? That's painful, Durst.

Wow. I do not like Chris Johnson much, but calling him the Jay Cutler of QBs? That's painful, Durst.

lol. I might have overstated it just a bit, but by that I mean some days you watch him and say, "man, if he plays like this every day he's gonna have a great year. 4 TD's no picks, 320 yards... Then a week or two later, inexplicable mediocre to poor performance. At the end of the year, his stats look pretty decent, and there is undeniable talent there.

They just don't put it together consistently, and you can just tell there's something missing. People that just look at the whole body of work and watch ESPN highlights make cases and excuses for them because the bulk of their work looks pretty good, but upon closer examination things start to unravel.

Bowe, you're counting consistency against CJ, but everyone knows that's the one thing he doesn't have, everyone knows what CJ brings to the table, he's not a guy that'll get you three yards every time you give him the ball, he's gonna have just as many bad plays as he's going to have great plays, but his great plays are good enough to balance it, use the analogy of a homerun hitter with a low batting average, the guy might strikeout a lot but he's still gonna be a guy opponents are afraid of because of what he can do when he does make contact

don't get me wrong, I know there's a lot of value in a back you can rely on to get positive yardage every time you give him the ball, but that doesn't mean there isn't value in a guy who can turn a five yard run into a 60 yard TD

I couldn't see anyone on my list to take off for CJ. Since it seems you'd like me to further explain myself, for you I gladly will. He's wildly inconsistent. Apart from his 2009 season where, let's face it, he was a monster, he's not really reliable imo. He'll go from amazing and efficient to unremarkable and ineffective.

Here's a little fact that you may not have known: in CJ's 5 seasons as a full time back, he's rushed for more than 70 yards in 5 straight games exactly once. In comparison to... Let's use Jamaal Charles, for example, who has 1 season as a full-time starter, he's accomplished that feat three times. In his last three seasons—barring 2011, ACL—he's done it.

Again, excepting 2009, CJ has averaged less than 4 yards per carry in more than half of his games. He had seasons with 9, 10, 6, and 6 games respectively over the 4 YPC mark. Going by that, his most consistent season matches Jamaal's worst. Since 2009, barring 2011 where he missed the entire season, in those three years he's had 10, 15, and 10 games respectively over the 4 YPC mark. That's four more games one season quicker.

Now in 2009, the kid was incredible. As earlier stated though, one year a HOFer does not make. 2,000 yards is a remarkable season, but it doesn't make a remarkable career, and imo he hasn't had that. He's as good as he is bad. I look at him like the Jay Cutler of RBs, and that's not a good thing to be.

Well, one person you could have taken off is Darren McFadden lol. Your talking about numbers and production and McFadden doesn't touch anyone on this because of injuries. He hasn't posted a 1000 yard season in two years. No idea how he is on the list. I like the fact that you respect him based of his potential as do I because I know he would be good, but he hasn't lived up to his potential and doesn't deserve to be ahead of people who have actually produced. C.J Spiller who is on your list has had only one 1000 yard season and in that one season, he has already done 1/3 of McFaddens 5 year career.

Now in regards to Chris Johnson, after looking at his game logs for each of his 5 years in the league, I agree. He is kind of inconsistent. He's either great, to average, to useless. He seems to be either off or but when he's on, he's hot. Seems like he has hit or miss games but the production is still there throughout the year. His last two years have been wildly inconsistent from game to game; especially his 2011 which was pretty bad. But his other 3 seasons in the league he strung together somewhat better performances. I can see your stance and I can somewhat respect/agree with it but I can't put other people over him that has produced less. McFadden is one, C.J Spiller had a hot year. I wouldn't put him up there yet but it seems more of a projection to me. A lot of people have him on their list but not yet for me. I do think he will possibly have another good year and if he does, he will possibly emerge on my list.

Edited by dutchff7