Sign in to follow this  
56AceInDaPlace

Legendary actor to portray Paterno in biopic

Former Penn State head coach Joe Paterno’s story is legendary on the field and complex off the field.

Joe Posnanski’s biography “Paterno”delved into the life of the Nittany Lion coach after spending two years following Paterno, gaining access to many of his records and even following him through the Jerry Sandusky scandal that ended the coach’s career.

Now, plans for a motion picture based on the biography are in the works from director Brian De Palma, of “Scarface” and “The Untouchables” fame. The movie is tentatively titled “Happy Valley.”

On Thursday, it was announced that Al Pacino will be playing the role of Paterno in the film.

CBS News reported the announcement, saying, “Al Pacino and director Brian De Palma are expected to team up for the upcoming biopic about controversial Penn State coach Joe Paterno.”

De Palma and Pacino worked together on “Scarface” and “Carlito’s Way” earlier in their careers.

We shall see how the film handles the controversial tale of Paterno, as well as how Pacino depicts the mysterious and legendary Penn State coach.

Tony Montana is now Joe Paterno lol. What's everyone's take on this? Good idea or bad? I mean I figured it was only a matter of time before someone came out and made a movie on this.

I don't know, I think if I were an actor that this would be a role that I wouldn't touch. Kinda surprising to see an actor of Pacino's stature do this.

Paterno left the game ashamed, disgraced, and ultimately, IMO... It killed him. However, the guy was and remains a legendary coach in the scope of college sports. It's not like the whole thing is going to be about the Sandusky thing, right? I mean, there is still a lot of substance here outside of having sex with kids.

When I read the topic, I was actually thinking Robert DeNiro.. This choice might be better.

Should be a pretty good movie :yep:

He looks nothing like him, so I assume that played a big part in it, but if there's a major male-lead in a major movie role, I almost always hope it's DDL, but he seems to pick great scripts like Tom Hanks tried to do for some many years but was hit and miss.

The second I read the title, I knew it had to be Al Pacino. I cannot think of a better actor to portray Paterno. No matter who was in the role, it is certainly a movie that I will be seeing whenever it is released.

As F4E said, aside from the Sandusky thing, Paterno essentially gave his life to the game of Football, when it was taken away from him, it ultimately killed him. He was a legend but will be forever remembered for the one thing that he didn't do right. Pretty sad, imo.

Guest tOSUBUCK3Y3

Joe Pesci should play Paterno. I think Pesci could pull the look off better. The only reason Paterno is legendary is because he coached for so long. How many titles does he have? Conference and National.

Edited by tOSUBUCK3Y3
  • Upvote 1

Pretty sure I will just wait for the reviews and decide on whether or not to go by the threads on here. I will probably just download it though.

A movie about a coach who was never really all that great and whose teams by and large never were more than above average.....the only realy story here is the Sandusky thing. Outside of that meh...shitty plot.