Sign in to follow this  
Sarge

Glasses or Contacts?

My eyesight is starting to go to hell, so next month I'm going to an eye doctor. Should I get glasses or contacts? Right now I'm leaning toward going with contacts and more specifically the ones that you just use once and throw away. I think they're called daily disposables. I don't think I would look good with glasses, and they restrict peripheral vision. Also, they always seem to fall off your face and you have to keep pushing them up. And you get those weird marks on your nose. Anyone else have any ideas?

Edited by Sarge

Glasses aren't that bad, I've been wearing them for forever. Can't really comment though because I've never tried contacts.

I have been wearing glasses AND contacts (not at the same time, obviously) since I was 10, so nearly 25 years. I don't like wearing my glasses simply because my eyesight is so bad that the lenses are really thick. I only wear them at home or when I am running a very quick errand. You are correct about the peripheral vision restrictions, that takes time to get used to dealing with. Contacts are fine once you get used to them, but initially they may be uncomfortable because your eyes don't like having anything in them.

• Upvote 1

I've heard the daily disposable ones are the best. You only use them one time and they are made of lighter materials. They rarely cause irritation and there's a very low risk of infection.

I think it just comes down to personal preference tbh. I know some people that prefer glasses and others that would only wear contacts. Personally, I think contacts would suit you better :thumbup2:

• Upvote 1

Wore glasses all the time when I was younger. I wasn't really a fan of glasses. Hated wearing them during gym class or during athletic activity, and cleaning them off was a pain in the ass.

Switched to contacts a couple of months before I turned 15. It's a piece of cake to insert them into your eyes (takes me literally 2 seconds), but it takes a bit of time to master.... took me 2 weeks to figure it out. I use Acuvue 2. They're 2-week contacts, but I sometimes wear them for 4-5 weeks at a time, lolz. Never have gotten any eye infections, so there's that. Throughout the day, I don't have any irritation at all. Just some slight irritation an hour or two before I go to sleep, usually.

Contacts are the way to go for sure. :yep:

• Upvote 1

First got glasses back in 1st grade. Switched to contacts in middle school. I prefer them for a couple of reasons. One being that my vision is different in each eye, and both are terrible. Which makes the lenses crazy expensive, and then they always rape you on any decent to good looking frames. It might not be much of an issue any more because I am older, but I always hated worrying about them doing normal life activities.. Falling, getting smashed or bent... I was always really good at getting the nose pieces messed up and then they would sit on my face correctly and it was just a general pain in the ass (again, remember, this is when I was still pretty young)

Contacts are just more suitable for every day life, IMO. Definitely more convenient. It is weird putting them in and especially taking them out at first, but you get used to it really quick. Like Phil, I have like these 2 week things that I can actually even keep in while I sleep. I, too, usually stretch them out for many extra weeks to save on cost.. especially because I can see just as well after 6 weeks as I could a brand new pair. I do spend more time cleaning and sanitizing them, although that is a given being that I stretch them out for so long.

With that said, I do like having glasses on the side as a secondary option. And I do want to get a pair here sometime in the future... But again, that is nothing more than something I would like, a luxury if you will.

First got glasses back in 1st grade. Switched to contacts in middle school. I prefer them for a couple of reasons. One being that my vision is different in each eye, and both are terrible. Which makes the lenses crazy expensive, and then they always rape you on any decent to good looking frames. It might not be much of an issue any more because I am older, but I always hated worrying about them doing normal life activities.. Falling, getting smashed or bent... I was always really good at getting the nose pieces messed up and then they would sit on my face correctly and it was just a general pain in the ass (again, remember, this is when I was still pretty young)

Contacts are just more suitable for every day life, IMO. Definitely more convenient. It is weird putting them in and especially taking them out at first, but you get used to it really quick. Like Phil, I have like these 2 week things that I can actually even keep in while I sleep. I, too, usually stretch them out for many extra weeks to save on cost.. especially because I can see just as well after 6 weeks as I could a brand new pair. I do spend more time cleaning and sanitizing them, although that is a given being that I stretch them out for so long.

With that said, I do like having glasses on the side as a secondary option. And I do want to get a pair here sometime in the future... But again, that is nothing more than something I would like, a luxury if you will.

Pretty much said it how I feel(well minus the whole me not having contacts currently). I don't currently have contacts but have in the past. I'd say if you get contacts get a pair of glasses also, just to have. I know there were days i'd wear mine just because the contacts were bothering my eyes or late at night after wearing them all day.

Edited by SteelersNation36

Contacts are better in terms of sight, but you'll definitely want a pair of cheap glasses in case your eyes are irritating or you dont have time to put in contacts.

Girls look sexier with glasses, I'd assume guys would to? :shrug:

Plus you'd look smarter...

Joel, I think what your saying only counts if it's hipster glasses, you know the type of glasses with the thick black rims! I currently wear ones like that! I really can't wear contacts because my eyes are just to sensitive, and I can't put them in my eyes without it taking a long time!

• Downvote 1

Joel, I think what your saying only counts if it's hipster glasses, you know the type of glasses with the thick black rims! I currently wear ones like that! I really can't wear contacts because my eyes are just to sensitive, and I can't put them in my eyes without it taking a long time!

Eh, idk what you young kids are into these days. Lol. But if I could somehow persuade my doctor to hook me up with some glasses even though I don't need them, id wear them like a stripper wears her booty... if that makes any sense...

• Upvote 1

Eh, idk what you young kids are into these days. Lol. But if I could somehow persuade my doctor to hook me up with some glasses even though I don't need them, id wear them like a stripper wears her booty... if that makes any sense...

Hahaha ask your doctor to do that, or I bet if you went to an eye doctor they would sell you a pair but just with like regular glass in them!

I wear glasses and would prefer contacts. Contacts cost more, and are more to handle then glasses. Whatever u get will be better then being blind. Specially when driving, that shit sucks being blind.

With glasses, you can get transitions. When you walk outside and the sun hits them, they shade dark like sunglasses. Sucks that they don't work in the car though. At least that's what the lady told me but getting them is like 100$ extra. Worth it IMO. You get 2 for one and its prescribed.

Edited by 56AceInDaPlace

I've been wearing contacts for several years now. I have my glasses that I wear occasionally but I definitely prefer my contacts.

I honestly can't tell you the last time I wore my contacts less than 8 weeks, even though they are supposed to be replaces every two weeks. I don't wear them on the weekend and soak them twice per week. Makes them last much longer, my vision is still 20/30 with them, even after 8 weeks of wear. Granted, my Optometrist gets annoyed with me because he can tell that my eyes look tired and dried out from wearing the same pair for as long as I wear them.

On what planet are contacts more expensive than glasses? Glasses are ridiculous, man.

Anyway, do both. You won't get adjusted to getting your contacts in right away and glasses are great for when you have eye infections of have small eye injuries such as scratches and callouses, etc. Contacts are definitely better but keep a pair of glasses in case of emergency.

• Upvote 1

On what planet are contacts more expensive than glasses? Glasses are ridiculous, man.

Anyway, do both. You won't get adjusted to getting your contacts in right away and glasses are great for when you have eye infections of have small eye injuries such as scratches and callouses, etc. Contacts are definitely better but keep a pair of glasses in case of emergency.

It is possible to have contacts be more expensive than glasses. I was considering wearing "hard" contact lenses so my vision would be correctable to 20/20 as opposed to 20/45 with teh soft. I also have an astigmatism in my left eye, so I would have to be contacts that correct that. They were going to cost me $186 for a single PAIR.

My glasses only ran me $128.

I use contacts for outside of the house, and glasses for inside the house. I don't wear the contacts too long. If I do they start to irritate my eyes. My eyes are little bitches, way too sensitive. That's why as soon as I get home I usually take them out and pop on the glasses. I don't like wearing glasses out because they just feel... in the way. I guess I could get used to it, but I don't like being restricted because something might fall off and break, etc. Then again I've never had a sturdy pair of glasses, they've always been frameless and fragile. The ones I'm wearing right now actually are broke. One of the frame temples or "arms" that sit on your ears broke and is gone, so I only have one now and I'm just too lazy to go buy a new pair or get it fixed for now.

But that's what I'd recommend. Both, because you can't wear contacts all the time, and when at home and you want to see the TV from afar, or work on the computer without destroying your eye sight further, glasses are best.

Yeah, I have both. I used to only wear contacts and I had glasses as backup, for the past year or so I've only worn my glasses and put in the contacts to play sports. It's nice to have the option for both.