Favre4Ever

2013 Mock Draft Game Sign-Up & Discussion

Interesting first 4 picks....don't really like any of them except for Trident's :yep:

Gimme a couple hours y'all, I have someone already in mind but the Lions are on the phone, and I'm on my phone not computer so I couldn't make the pick anyway.

Go die in a fire, Sean.

Glad I didn't make a certain trade now as while. Wouldn't have done me any good, lol.

Interesting first 4 picks....don't really like any of them except for Trident's :yep:

Big fan of Seans.

I like Sean's, Trident's, and I think Sampson's makes sense.

Props to Sean for having the balls to take a guard 4th overall. Considering he's probably the best player in this draft class, I don't hate it at all.

Titans/Vikings have agreed to a trade..

Titans receive:

83rd Overall Pick(Vikings 3rd round pick)

148th Overall Pick(Vikings 5th round pick)

Vikings receive:

70th Overall Pick(Titans 3rd Round Pick)

200th Overall Pick(Titans 7th round pick)

Props to Sean for having the balls to take a guard 4th overall. Considering he's probably the best player in this draft class, I don't hate it at all.

I wanted to trade back but Warmack was the top player on my board so I had to reach but I wasn't going to get him in the second so I made my move.

Edited by seanbrock

I agree it's ballsy. Guards have only gone top 5 three times in history I believe. Once in the 60s, and the other two in the mid 80s. I also agree he's probably the best player at his position in the draft, and if you were going strictly BPA like sean said he is, that's an accurate assessment. The tricky thing is he plays a position that doesn't have a large impact on the game. You can do really well with an average offensive line, especially interior offensive line — as long as your QB is good. As long as your defense is good at stopping the pass on the other side. It's a tough decision to make. Gotta go with your gut, kudos to sean, Warmack is going to be a beast.

• Upvote 1

I agree it's ballsy. Guards have only gone top 5 three times in history I believe. Once in the 60s, and the other two in the mid 80s. I also agree he's probably the best player at his position in the draft, and if you were going strictly BPA like sean said he is, that's an accurate assessment. The tricky thing is he plays a position that doesn't have a large impact on the game. You can do really well with an average offensive line, especially interior offensive line — as long as your QB is good. As long as your defense is good at stopping the pass on the other side. It's a tough decision to make. Gotta go with your gut, kudos to sean, Warmack is going to be a beast.

Well, you also take into account what LeSean McCoy can do in space and that makes Warmack even more valuable because he's great at getting to that second level and letting your RB get out in space.

Campin, man, three weeks ago you were saying that the Jags shouldn't take a QB and roll with Gabbert and Henne for this year.

Why the sudden change of mind?

http://www.thegridironpalace.com/forums/index.php?/topic/64079-update-vin-insane-possibly-suffering-from-early-onset-dementia/

You either sink or swim with Gabbert, and worst case scenario you have another bad year and get that valuable high pick when lots of great college QB prospects will be available, unlike this year. That is the best course of action, and precisely what I think David Caldwell is thinking by giving out this lip service.
Edited by Thanatos19

Big reason why I didn't take Joeckel #1. Granted, LT is the most important position on that line... But LTs taken in the Top 5 recently (even great players) haven't had the impact that you want to see out of that pick.

Matt Kalil - Still early. But good player, improved that Vikings line, obviously leading the charge for AP, but the Vikings line is pretty underrated in general. Maybe the most impactful of the group already.

Trent Williams - Been kinda inconsistent, but I think he's a decent player when on the field. So injury prone, can't say he's really made the Redskins so much better.

Jason Smith - Average player at best.. Very inconsistent. Rams have done... what since his selection?

Jake Long - First few years in the league were AMAZING. Dude kinda fell off the face of the earth, though and probably won't be worth the deal he is about to sign unless he gets back to his stellar play. Regardless, again... The vaunted Dolphins offense, man!

Joe Thomas - Like Jake, started out SO dominant. Not saying he has been BAD or horrible lately, but the level of play isn't quite the same as when he entered the league. Even with how great he is/was, the Browns lock up Top 5 picks every season...

Levi Brown - Cardinals. Enough said.

Again, I am not really arguing the quality of these players. Some of them are the best of the best, and have been since being drafted. But there isn't a single notable offense up there. You can argue Kalil and the Vikings maybe, still early though. But without AP that offense is beyond dreadful. Redskins maybe start to creep up that list with the additions of Morris and Bob?

Regardless of the their play or quality of play... The selections just don't have the impact you are looking for.

Add on to the fact that this draft class is deep as hell on the line and pretty much dog shit at CB... My decision at #1 was easy after I couldn't move back.

Also, I didn't get to comment on other people's picks so just a thought... IMO, Warmack isn't a viable option for the Eagles if they run anything similar to what was ran at OU. Cooper would of been a much better choice.

• Upvote 2

A couple of hours = 6 hours in Dmacs world :p

Regardless, I was surprised you didn't go Olineman. Using my own logic, I wouldn't have either. But your defensive bias aside, I thought you might go ahead and take one of those elite T prospect. You Detroit fans have to be sick of Jeff Backus by now... don't you?

Eh, none of those guys have the potential Ansah has, which was the deciding factor. Need didn't go into my consideration, although Ansah does fill a need. lol.

Also, I didn't get to comment on other people's picks so just a thought... IMO, Warmack isn't a viable option for the Eagles if they run anything similar to what was ran at OU. Cooper would of been a much better choice.

Warmack is capable of playing in any scheme, doesn't really matter. That's why he's rated so highly. Top 10 guard prospects aren't very common for a reason, very few in history have had the versatility and skill set he does.

So long as he's not some bum in regards to work ethic, he will be a perennial pro bowler/all-pro selection.

• Upvote 1

Selection #29 is on the block. Mostly looking to trade down, but open to trading up.

Make me an offer. :smug:

Edited by BenJarvus Green-Ellis

IDK about that, you put Warmack in a ZBS and you don't get the same out of him as if you put him in a more traditional offense. He doesn't pull often, and probably doesn't have the footwork of a DD, throwing him out in space would be limiting his effectiveness. He isn't all that smooth.

What? He has superb footwork, and when or if he gets out of position, he has the agility and athleticism to correct immediately and smoothly. For an Olineman and man of his size... He moves extremely well. He's arguably the best player in this entire draft.

Yea, in short area he has superb footwork. But in reach blocks, etc, or zone blocks you see him get beat across the face when he doesn't chop block, Alabama played with close splits, Oregon plays with really big splits. He also doesn't look anywhere as dominant when he moves laterally before he goes forward. In the redzone against ND on one play he was driven back 4 yards because he couldn't get his footing underneath him on a stretch play (although it didn't matter because the ball went the other way).

I'm not saying he wouldn't be good, I'm just saying he wouldn't be as effective in a scheme where on any given play the linemen have to move around like you'd see Oregon linemen move around.

Everytime I've seen Warmack pull or move he excels.

I don't think you are analyzing Chips offense all that well, to be honest. Those lineman, especially the interior aren't going to be pulling and swinging all the time in some of the outside zones. He does A LOT of inside zone work to pound his back inside the tackle and cut back behind the G or C. He is going to need a strong and quick guy who can move up field, destroy blockers, and get to the second level. It's not like Warmack would be on the outside where he is going to have to kick out far, take on a block, pass him off to the G, then kick out again and take on another rusher.

Chips offense isn't predicated on gimmicks.. it's pretty basic and used a lot of logic. If the defense is going to stack the box, he is going to take advantage and throw the ball. The defense used two high safeties? You have your lineman VS theirs in an equal bout and the offense should win every time with the defense void of extra or free rushers... This is when they will pound the rock and a guy exactly like Warmack will excel.

Let's also not forget that Chip hired an offensive line coach who has a different philosophy than he did in Oregon... That coach just so happens to be Warmacks position coach at Alabama. I think you will see a lot of similar concepts, but still different play.

Match made in heaven.

Edited by Favre4Ever

I'm not even talking about pulling, I'm talking about blocking zones, I know as much as anyone what Kelly's scheme relies on, I was one of the first to hop on his defense when the Eagles hired him. THe point is that you put Warmack in a system where he has to reach specific zones crossing the facemask of whomever he's supposed to block, requiring him to take directional zone steps before heading up the field and you'll see guys get underneath him often. It happened all the time in college but he gets away with it because of his upper body strength, he struggled against quicker DTs often.

The Oregon Ducks played with bigger spaces between each offensive linemen then Alabama, as do most ZBS schemes, even on inside zone plays. More spaces between linemen means the DL are more spread out, which requires more effort for linemen to reach the play side shoulders of whomever they have to block. There are numerous examples in film of instances that point to Warmack probably getting a lot of holding calls if it wasn't for his natural strength when he was asked to do so.

To go along with that, Kelly often puts his linemen in space, regardless of how good Warmack is for his size in space he still isn't all that good, and he really isn't all that quick and it was exposed at the combine by both his 10 yard split and positional drills.

Once again, nobody is saying that the #1 rated guard who's being viewed as one of the best since God knows when can't play in a more zone oriented run scheme, but their are options who would perform much better in that same scheme. Namely Cooper.