Sign in to follow this  
blotsfan

Live by the border?

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2013/02/electronics-border-seizures/

If you don't want to read this, basically the government has decided that if you're within 100 miles of a border, they're allowed to take your electronic devices for whatever reason they want. I don't think I need to explain why this is a bad thing.

According to legal precedent, the Fourth Amendment — the right to be free from unreasonable searches and seizures — does not apply along the border.

Where exactly did we come up with that beauty? If you're within the US, the 4th Amendment applies.

The entire city of Buffalo is within 100 miles of the border. That means that theoretically, the government can take my computer whenever they want, for whatever reason.

Clearly, since they would never do it unless you were doing something wrong, it's not a problem. The government knows best, after all.

This includes: Buffalo NY, Rochester NY, Detroit MI, Cleveland OH, Seattle WA, San Diego CA, and Tuscon AZ.

This is absurd. Our rights are disappearing by the day. It makes me very, very sad.

Edited by WindyCitySports

That's cute that you think it's just that. It considers the coasts to be "the border." Look at this map.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2008/10/aclu-assails-10/

I'd bet that's more than half the population.

Edit: yeah apparently about 2/3rds

Edited by blotsfan

That's cute that you think it's just that. It considers the coasts to be "the border." Look at this map.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2008/10/aclu-assails-10/

I'd bet that's more than half the population.

Edit: yeah apparently about 2/3rds

Lol I was genuinely concerned. No need for the sarcasm. But yes, that makes it much worse. That includes NYC, LA, Boston, Philly, Miami, Houston, SFO, Portland, DC, Oakland, etc. :( :( :(

Sorry didn't think you were dismissing it. Just more of a "that's nothing compared to what it really is."

None of this is actually going to happen. Much. Ado. About. Nothing.

• Downvote 5

DHS has set up at least 33 internal checkpoints where they stop people, question them and ask them to prove citizenship, according to the ACLU.

And if its never gonna happen, why doesn't the government just make it so they aren't allowed to?

God Bless America.

Agreed, Bware.

Ya'll getting paranoid over nothing.

I don't care whether it will take effect or not. The fact that people are saying that the government even established this is repulsive. I mean, it's bad enough that we even have to put in writing what people can and can't do. The government is severely overstepping its boundaries.

Sorry to burst your bubble, bro, but it already has happened. Read the article. 6,500 people had their electronics searched in the last three years without any warrant.

They are breaking the 4th Amendment just because its convenient and near the border. I honestly cannot believe you are so naive that you cannot see the ramifications of this. If they can just do away with one of the Bill of Rights because they feel like it, what else can they do?

Well this is good news. Like the article says, it'll probably go to the supreme court, but this is still good.

"The 4th Amendment only allows reasonable searches, usually with a warrant. But the general argument has long been that, when you're at the border, you're not in the country and the 4th Amendment doesn't apply. "

Should it even fucking matter if you're "in the country"? They are still American citizens - and even if they aren't, what's the point of this crusade for democracy? "Oh, we will give democracy to our own people and claim to spread democracy, but we will deny the basic human rights we give to our own people to the people who fall into our custody or responsibility." I support maintaining domestic rights ahead of all other things, but I also see the Constitution as a way to broadcast democracy to others so that they aren't excluded from what makes the free world so great. Smh. Fuck people trying to find loopholes in how the Constitution is applied.

I dont have a problem with extra checks at the border. I just don't think the border should be 100 miles inland.

Agreed, Bware.

Ya'll getting paranoid over nothing.

It's this type of complacency that allows dictatorships to arise.

• Upvote 1

Everyone. Meet Bware.

BubbleBoy-Still8.jpg?partner=allmovie_soap

• Upvote 1