New Hampshire

Oklahoma

Bottom 5:

New York (50th)

California

New Jersey

Hawaii

Rhode Island

They also have little articles on how they calculate everything, what it is they are trying to do, etc. Really thought Iowa would be higher, but in the Top half is pretty decent, IMO. You can also look at the map from an overall perspective, from a tax perspective, from an economic perspective, etc etc. using the tabs at the top of the page.

Edited by Favre4Ever
  • Upvote 1

Guest Phailadelphia

Nice find. First observation: The states that are most free fiscally range from middle-of-the-pack to worst in personal freedom. New Hampshire is the only in the top 5 who has equal parts fiscal and personal freedom. Interesting!

Edited by Phailadelphia

The states that are most free fiscally range from middle-of-the-pack to worst in personal freedom.

That's why the two main parties both suck.

• Upvote 2

Hey, Bware, you looking for a roommate?

Ya, I was waiting for Bware to enter and talk about how awesome it is to marry your sister and that Norman Reedus is the greatest actor of all time. :laugh:

• Upvote 1

Our definition of freedom presents specific challenges on some high-profile

issues. Abortion is a critical example. According to one view, a fetus is a rights bearing person, and abortion is therefore an aggressive violation of individual rights that ought to be punished by the government. According to another view, a fetus does not have rights, and abortion is a permissible exercise of an individual liberty, which entails that government regulation of abortion is an unjust violation of a woman’s rights. Rather than take a stand on one side or the other (or anywhere between), we have coded the data on state abortion restrictions and made them available online at www.statepolicyindex.com, but have not included the policy in the index of freedom.

-- Study Introduction

While it may seem like they are sitting on the fence, I do tend to agree. Trying their hardest, at least on this issue, to define which side of abortion is the "right" side. Study isn't about George Mason making a political stand or what have you.

Edited by Favre4Ever

Some people believe that right to work laws are an infringement on the negotiation rights of employers. They take a ton of political stands already.

That really hurts this lists impact.

Some people believe that right to work laws are an infringement on the negotiation rights of employers. They take a ton of political stands already.

That really hurts this lists impact.

You can go through and say that about every political issue in the history of the world. There are always two sides. But what you are getting at is just semantics... Sure, there are people against the minimum wage, workers comp, and other right-to-work policies. But none of those or many other issues so drastically split the constituency of the US like abortion does.

You can go through and say that about every political issue in the history of the world. There are always two sides. But what you are getting at is just semantics... Sure, there are people against the minimum wage, workers comp, and other right-to-work policies. But none of those or many other issues so drastically split the constituency of the US like abortion does.

A lot of people are against gay marriage and they take a stance on that. Not including one of the biggest social issues of our time is a cowards way out.

I will flat out tell you that living in North Dakota is easy, even without a college degree. VERY easy. There is work all over the place and, if you're willing to travel, you can juggle 3-4 part time jobs that pay extremely well (what I'm doing right now).

A lot of people are against gay marriage and they take a stance on that. Not including one of the biggest social issues of our time is a cowards way out.

Not the same. Regardless of what they THINK, regardless of their OPINION on gay marriage. It is a FACT that not allowing gays to marry or enter some kind of union keeps them from the benefits (taxes, power of attorney, etc etc) of heterosexual "traditional marriages". That's fact. That's a blatant infraction on your rights.

Regardless, they offer all of their raw data (which includes abortion) on their website. You are more than welcome to formulate your own rankings -- you can prove to use you aren't a coward if you so choose. lol

:rock: Arizona :rock:

This Study just reaffirms that Arizona is the best state in America. :yep:

Lots of Economic Freedom based on free market principles, great weather, very good food, Cardinals :rolleyes: , and they have low income taxes because the state government is very fiscally responsible.

:rock: Arizona :rock:

This Study just reaffirms that Arizona is the best state in America. :yep:

Lots of Economic Freedom based on free market principles, great weather, very good food, Cardinals :rolleyes: , and they have low income taxes because the state government is very fiscally responsible.

I have to agree with this. My fiance and I are moving and she has two job offers now instead of one. One in AZ the other in KC. I am letting her decide but I secretly hope she chooses AZ, love the car scene down there. No real political reasons though.

I have to agree with this. My fiance and I are moving and she has two job offers now instead of one. One in AZ the other in KC. I am letting her decide but I secretly hope she chooses AZ, love the car scene down there. No real political reasons though.

If you moved to AZ with your fiance, do you guys have any idea where in the state you would move to?

Sun City.

Just saying Ngata, Kansas City is really nice and has amazing bbq.

Sun City.

I believe Sun City is close to Glendale, in the NorthEastern part of the Metro Phoenix area, but really anywhere in that area is really nice. :yep:

Regardless, they offer all of their raw data (which includes abortion) on their website. You are more than welcome to formulate your own rankings -- you can prove to use you aren't a coward if you so choose. lol

I'm not gonna create my own measurement system, but I can promise you that if I did, abortion rights would be factored in, and more free abortion rights makes it more free.