Sign in to follow this  
housemd

Mike Glennon won't compete to start

Bucs coach Greg Schiano clarified that No. 73 pick Mike Glennon is not being viewed as immediate competition for Josh Freeman.

Glennon is more likely to sit and watch as a rookie behind Freeman and Dan Orlovsky, and perhaps push for playing time in 2014. (Both Freeman and Orlovsky have one year left on their contracts.) "I think that’s hard with any rookie quarterback," said Schiano of Glennon playing right away. "It’s going to be a matter of how fast he grasps our system and all those things. And the fact of the matter is, we have a starting quarterback."

That's what they say. Give them a few weeks of losing and they'll throw him into the fire and see if he's the dragon.

I don't think it was ever the intention for him to start, nor do I believe too many people were thinking he was going to be in competition for the starting job with Freeman. What him being drafted does tell me though, is that the Bucs aren't 100% sold on Freeman, not too many people are either. Freeman has shown some spurts of being absolutely magnificent, but he lacks the consistency. Whether it was Doug Martin who allowed it to happen or not, for a stretch this past season, Freeman was an absolute stud. He fell off though, and he really killed all the momentum the Bucs had. I think that if Freeman goes through a stint this year where he struggles to make plays and win games, Glennon will get his shot. Dan Orlovsky is NOT the guy they will go to.

No surprise here.

Glennon provides no threat to Freeman at all. This is a make or break year for Freeman. If he doesn't do well, he won't be on the team next year which has nothing to do with Glennon being here and if he does do well, we have our franchise QB and Glennon is riding the bench for his entire career in Tampa.

No brainer. Teams don't draft QBs in the 3rd round with the intention to start them right away. You could end up with a Russell Wilson situation, where he plays so well that you gotta start him. But I don't see Glennon having that kind of impact out of the gate.

I honestly think the Bucs drafted him for two reasons:

1.To put some pressure on Freeman

2.To have a strong armed QB capable of running our offense if Freeman went down for a period of time

• Upvote 1

Won't or can't?

:troll:

Won't or can't?

:troll:

:nope:

I think we already knew this though. Glennon was brought in to push Freeman, but he wasn't going to win the starting job. If Freeman sucks this year, we have a QB for 2014 season. If Freeman turns into a good QB, we have good trade bait in Glennon.

No brainer. Teams don't draft QBs in the 3rd round with the intention to start them right away. You could end up with a Russell Wilson situation, where he plays so well that you gotta start him. But I don't see Glennon having that kind of impact out of the gate.

I honestly think the Bucs drafted him for two reasons:

1.To put some pressure on Freeman

2.To have a strong armed QB capable of running our offense if Freeman went down for a period of time

Just what you said....No Brainer! :thumbup2: