Sign in to follow this  
RANGA

Update: David Garrard un-retires, re-signs with Jets

Make that a four-way race for the New York Jets' starting quarterback job.

Veteran David Garrard, who signed with the Jets in April before the team drafted Geno Smith, has told teammates he's done, according to a person informed of the conversations between Garrard and the players. The person spoke to USA TODAY Sports on condition of anonymity because the conversations were to remain private.

Garrard declined to comment to NFL.com, which first reported the story, but told SiriusXM host Adam Schein via text, "Having to call it quits. My knee is not holding up. Continuing to swell after practices. Limiting what I can do."

Garrard's time with the Miami Dolphins ended last year before he could play a game because of lingering knee issues.

A Jets spokesman told USA TODAY Sports that Garrard is still on the roster and hasn't been released, so this is clearly a decision being made by Garrard. This month, after a workout at the Jets facility, the former Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback didn't drop any hints he was having issues with his knee or thinking of retiring.

"I don't have to be here," he said. "I don't have to come out and take any more paychecks. I'm really here because I want to be here."

With Garrard and Tim Tebow out of the picture, Mark Sanchez and Smith are the top contenders for the team's starting job, with Greg McElroy also trying to nose his way in and Matt Simms, son of former New York Giants quarterback Phil Simms, trying to hang on to a roster spot.

Did the embattled Sanchez just gain leverage in his competition to retain the starting job given Garrard's sudden decision to retire?

Good question.

The answer is expected to play out as a two-man, training-camp duel between the struggling yet experienced Sanchez, burdened by a league-worst 52 turnovers over the last two seasons, and Smith, the fresh face of hope the Jets selected with the 39th overall pick in last month's NFL draft.

If healthy, Garrard was expected to be a legitimate starting alternative given his history of always being good at protecting the football compared to turnover-machine Sanchez.

(Garrard) "It's me really, it's not you."

(Jets organization) "Okay bud, we wish you the best of luck."

(Inside Garrard's head) ("I gotta get the fuck outta here!!")

The Jets best QB just retired... It's gonna be a LOOOOOONG season.

• Upvote 1

Garrad was a pretty good QB for the Jags. Good luck to him in the future.

The Jets best QB just retired... It's gonna be a LOOOOOONG season.

I really want to see how Geno does in the pre-season.Wouldn't surprise me if he's already beating out Sanchez.

Edited by RANGA

I really want to see how Geno does in the pre-season. Wouldn't surprise me if he's already beating out Sanchez.

I really don't think it will matter. Rex Ryan proved last year he's going to keep starting Mark Sanchez come hell or high water. I honestly believe the only way Geno starts is if Sanchez gets injured.

I really don't think it will matter. Rex Ryan proved last year he's going to keep starting Mark Sanchez come hell or high water. I honestly believe the only way Geno starts is if Sanchez gets injured.

Continuing to play Sanchez over two QBs considerably worse than him in Tebow and McElroy isn't really a good example of Rex refusing to play anyone other than Sanchez.

There's no doubt in my mind that Sanchez was significantly better than both of them last season and should have been the starter all along because nobody else could do a better job, no matter how bad it may have looked.

It doesn't matter because Rex has been castrated. I don't foresee him having any real power or say, he's lost that chance. He's a lame duck coach who will undoubtedly have a bad football team this year, get fired, and then find a DC job VERY VERY quickly next offseason.

• Upvote 1

It doesn't matter because Rex has been castrated. I don't foresee him having any real power or say, he's lost that chance. He's a lame duck coach who will undoubtedly have a bad football team this year, get fired, and then find a DC job VERY VERY quickly next offseason.

Yeah that's true. He's a far better DC anyway, so the change would be for the best.

We're one step closer to witnessing the Matt Simms era in New York. And it will be glorious.

This is unfortunate, I was looking forward to seeing if Garrard could take the job from Sanchez. He seemed really excited about this shot in an interview I heard him do after signing but of course when there are injuries like this there's nothing you can do.

Retired QB David Garrard says the Jets have offered him a coaching-intern opportunity for 2013 training camp.

Garrard is strongly considering the chance to coach, which confirms his retirement at age 35 is for real. "The Jets offered me the chance to come back if I want to take a shot at that coaching thing with an internship in training camp," Garrard said. "I told them I'd talk with my wife about it, so I could still work with those guys. It's definitely something I'm considering."

Source: ESPN New York

Yeah that's true. He's a far better DC anyway, so the change would be for the best.

I disagree. Rex have overachieved to a great degree in New York. He's fielded teams that should have been pretty bad every year and yet somehow took them to two straight AFC Championship games. Give him the right pieces, now, and he'll get it going.

By the way, I expect the Jets to be pretty good this year. They're one of my dark horse teams.

Uh, the Jets are dead-set on sucking balls in they're considering giving Garrard a coaching internship, lmao.

Per Rotoworld.com:

Jets signed QB David Garrard and placed him on the Exempt List.
The Jets will have a two-week exemption to take a look at Garrard and see if they want to promote him to their active roster. They most likely will. Garrard will be an excellent mentor for Geno Smith and an upgrade on Matt Simms/Brady Quinn at the backup spot. "I was able to take the whole summer off and let my body heal. I started training a couple of months ago and my knee feels great," said Garrard. "I'm sitting at home, watching games thinking, ‘Why am I at home? Why I am doing this to myself?" Garrard, 35, originally said he was retiring when he left the Jets in May. Oct 10 - 10:54 AM